Sign in to follow this  
Northstar

Nov. MT says Solstice to get V8

The 4.0 liter No* is no smaller than the standard issue 4.6L. The difference is all in bore/stroke. Edited by Sixty8panther

I know this isn't the topic, but why would you want a V8 in a car like the Solstice? As it is now, the car is a balanced roadster. With FI, it will still be pretty balanced (seeing as how the mags are saying the chassis feels like it could do with more power).

What you all are asking for is a pony car. I'm not saying that isn't a valid request, given the Mustang's commercial viability. But the Solstice body, in coupe or convertible form, isn't anything like a pony car. We need a four-place, slightly larger, V8 powered, RWD car. That isn't what Kappa is, nor is it what it should be.

(And what it should be is a question unto itself. IMHO, it should be a versitile, small engined, RWD small car platform. Not just a pair of roadsters, but a small hatchback, a small coupe, and maybe even a very small four door sedan, all with lively four cylinders and RWD. The market is begging for this. Give me a plain-jane coupe on Kappa and I'd buy it in a second, give me a MINI-esque hatchback, and I'd order one without driving it.)

Tony

you know, looking at the coupe rear for the first time im months, i am struck how much the taillights especially look like the g6 coupe. anyone else seeing this?

I'm just looking at a Kappa roadster for Cadillac to be able to take on the likes of the Z4 and SLR. I'm certain and A&S Kappa could beat the pants off BMW and Benx in the small roadster department as far as looks are concerned.

I know this isn't the topic, but why would you want a V8 in a car like the Solstice?  As it is now, the car is a balanced roadster.  With FI, it will still be pretty balanced (seeing as how the mags are saying the chassis feels like it could do with more power).

[post="22464"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

They're screaming for a modern-day, GM-style Cobra.

If a 302 can be crammed into older Miatas, the smallblock can get into the Solstice.

But personally, I'd be happy with throwing in the HF.

I think many of these conversions will happen....thing is, we're gonna have to see 200,000 Solstices and Skies hit the road and five years pass by.

From page 26 in the Nov. MT:

"... A V8 is also reportedly on the agenda for the Pontiac Solstice. We've been assured by a senior GM exec that a V8 will fit between the rails. Sounds like a recipe for a 21st-century Cobra."

[post="21582"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Don't put alot of faith in MT's future cars section. No car mag gets it right all the time (a few months ago, Automobile magazine said the Camaro was dead but that GTO was very much alive), but the average person who follows this or other sites devoted to future vehicles knows more than the guy(s) running MT's "future" section.

Hey Car Magazine in the UK had GM developing a new rwd platform for their new Dodge Challenger concept, a shirter version of the LX to be shared with the Camaro. The reason I got into this business was because of all the BS you read in the so-called "expert" media.

the Solstice is already getting the turbocharged ecotec for 2007 as an option. it will have between 240-260 hp.. If a V8 was offered it would probably be a 5.3L the same one used in the Impala.. the only problem with adding a V8 is added weight.. and a V8 model would cost around 30K.. another option would be a V6, does anyone know if the 3.6L DOHC V6 would fit in the solstice??

A Cobra like Solstice with the Corvette Z06 drivetrain would be interesting...or how about a hybrid turbodiesel 4cyl for an Sky Greenline?

A Cobra like Solstice with the Corvette Z06 drivetrain would be interesting

The all-controlling Corvette team will never sign off on that.