Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mustang84

Edge gains sales momentum

21 posts in this topic

To many, the 2007 Ford Edge represents the best Ford has to offer in its current lineup, and sales of the stylish crossover are starting to fulfill the vehicle's promise. The Edge has only been on the market for four months, and it's already within 1,000 monthly units of the segment leaders Toyota Highlander and Nissan Murano.

Even better, according to JD Powers' Power Information Network, the Edge is only staying on the dealer lot for about 20 days, which is far less than the 48 days it takes to move a mid size CUV industry-wide. Dealers are also finding it easier to sell higher-content models, as Edmunds.com reports an average March transaction price of $29,699. Ford is also using the Edge to help stop Explorer, Expedition, and Escape owners from leaving the Ford brand, with 25% of its sales coming from its own SUVs.

The Detroit Free Press quotes Ford spokesman Jim Cain as saying that a second wave of marketing is coming soon for the Edge, and production at the company's Oakville, Ontario plant is scheduled to increase.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/09/ford-ed...-gain-momentum/

Edge Sales:

December: 2,201

January: 5,586

February: 7,977

March: 10,915

Video showing Edge handling in parking lot

we're doing quite well here selling MKX's. can't keep them on the lot.

I wonder if edge+MKS is greater than murano+FX.

IIRC, Edge outsold Murano and MKX outsold the FX last month...I think MKX v. FX runs about 3,000 to 2,000 in favor of the MKX.

TOLD YOU! crossovers are THE HOTTEST MARKET!

i am back to wanting an edge again, i saw a couple of really nice looking ones on the road this weekend.

The Murano and FX are two wholly different vehicles, unlike the Edge and MKX.

March 2007 sales:

Ford Edge: 10,915

Lincoln MKX: 3,054

Total: 13,969

Nissan Murano: 11,822

Infiniti FX35/45: 2,179

Total: 14,001

However, like Cory pointed out, Murano and FX don't share a platform as the Edge/MKX do.

The Murano is on the FF-L platform while the FX is on the FM platform.

TOLD YOU! crossovers are THE HOTTEST MARKET!

i am back to wanting an edge again, i saw a couple of really nice looking ones on the road this weekend.

Umm, I don't think you told us that. I think everyone who knows 1 thing about the auto industry could tell you that..

Americans like big, sweet-looking SUVs ---> gas prices increase ---> they want beter fuel economy ---> they find the coolest car-based crossover and trade in their SUVs

Holy crap is this...is this good news for Ford? Wow I'd almost forgotten what it sounded like.

Edited by AxelTheRed

The Edge isn't very flattering in pics, but looks great in person. I've seen several on the road, and they have great road presence. Congrats to Ford for making a successful product. :cheers:

Good news for all Americans. I like the Edge/MKX. Not every crossover has to have a 3rd row. In fact, most 3rd row seats in this class are for appearance only, certainly not to fit a real human with legs. Go Ford!

IMHO GM should have aimed the lwb Thetas at this market, instead of trying to pretend they were compact crossovers. It seems that the product decisions in NA were made by people who are somewhat challenged when it comes to using a tape measure. They should build the Captiva alongside the Vue as a new Equinox, and aim the new lwb model at the Edge and Highlander, with equipment and price to match. Between them they'd more than double sales over the current Equinox.

IMHO GM should have aimed the lwb Thetas at this market, instead of trying to pretend they were compact crossovers. It seems that the product decisions in NA were made by people who are somewhat challenged when it comes to using a tape measure. They should build the Captiva alongside the Vue as a new Equinox, and aim the new lwb model at the Edge and Highlander, with equipment and price to match. Between them they'd more than double sales over the current Equinox.

i tend to agree with this comment.

it seems to me that the vast majority of product decisions have been ill-taken, with some exceptions.

when was the last time GM was FIRST to market with a vehicle in a 'new' segment? the are classicly late.

i tend to agree with this comment.

it seems to me that the vast majority of product decisions have been ill-taken, with some exceptions.

when was the last time GM was FIRST to market with a vehicle in a 'new' segment? the are classicly late.

GM in NA at least has not had the balls to go with their convictions. Look at the concepts that were watered down or wasted. And not only are they late, once they get there the segment has gone cold. The concepts they showed at NY give me hope they finally get it.

Among other things, too, of course.

Edited by FloydHendershot

I've seen a total of 4 Edges far and an MKX...they are very handsome CUVs and deserve every sale they get. Good news at Ford for once...I hope they outsell the ugly Highlander.

One of my coworkers has an Orange colored one. I rode in it the other day.

Not a bad vehicle, way better than the Craplander. The sound system is pretty decent and the interior quality seems to be good too.

I wonder how the CX-7 is compared to the Edge.

the pricing would have allowed for Equniox to have a good looking interior with high quality. Then Equinox would have been a real replacement for the old Blazer, and even fill the Trailblazer's shoes nicely. Equinox needs to be richer to be taken seriously, and if a bigger price is what makes it happen, bring over the Captiva and sell a real compact, along with the Equinox as the mid-size crossover.

The Murano and FX are two wholly different vehicles, unlike the Edge and MKX.

Yes, but the Murano is an Edge competitor and the FX is an MKX competitor.

The Edge isn't very flattering in pics, but looks great in person. I've seen several on the road, and they have great road presence. Congrats to Ford for making a successful product. :cheers:

I saw another one today. It's amazing how much sharper it is in person. Another thing to note, and I admit I have been a bit harsh on this one, but the Edge comes off as quite a bit larger and bolder than the Murano. It comes off as a vehicle in a much bigger size class. The Murano's shape is much more delicate and chick car-ish. The Edge looks very butch and macho driving down the road. It's tall and wide and the front is in your face, and yet it has a sleek racy greenhouse like a sedan. It looks great in orange, cream, and black and white I've seen it looks great also. The deck lid spoiler on the Edge is an especially tasty design element.

I admit I've complained that the Edge weighs more than the Murano but now that I see the size difference magnified in person I don't have a big problem with it. The length may be fairly close to a Murano, but the volume of the form of the greenhouse is larger and bolder on the Edge. The Edge's chassis is likely solid as a brick sh1thouse too.

As Bold as the edge's design is, it is really screaming out to be lowered a tish and some big ass wide wheels be put on it. The base SE's wheels are pitifully small in proportion to the wheelwells and large upper body.

One thing is for sure. You WILL notice the Edge coming at you on the roadway.

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0