SHANGHAI: 2008 Buick Park Avenue (China)

Flybrian

This things looks huge (from the side profile). Interior looks top notch despite the probable low grade materials (hard plastics from the looks of it). Why isn't this vehicle offered here? This looks much more upscale than anything Buick has to offer here.

This things looks huge (from the side profile). Interior looks top notch despite the probable low grade materials (hard plastics from the looks of it). Why isn't this vehicle offered here? This looks much more upscale than anything Buick has to offer here.

:blink:

Where are these hard-looking plastics and low-grade materials you speak of?

It is amazing that Buick China took the Holden Caprice and dressed it up that much. The interior looks very rich. It does not look stripped or anything. They would hardly need to change much to make it an American Buick. The sad thing is.. I knew GM was going to do this.. They are torturing people like VenSeattle with something he cannot have. It is like dangling a bottle in front of a baby when you know he wants it.

I do not understand why GM North America feels Buick does not deserve cars like this.. The LaCrosse and Lucerne's look stripped and more like Chevrolet Impalas compared to their Chinese counter parts. Why is it always GM everywhere else around the world gets it, and North American GM does not.

Are they afraid a car like this would hurt Cadillac sales?

The SLS looks better than the update we are getting..

I thought GM said they were going to become global in their approach.

That is a car that is "worthy" of the Park Avenue name.

All I can say is wow.. At least they are not holding up some Oldsmobile over my head I would want I could not have....

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

This is SO sad... that car is absolutely beautiful.

There is NO reason why we can't have that here.

And look, there was no problem making radio and HVAC units look nice in a center console.

Interesting... it appears the footwells are illuminated with white LEDs. Nice.

I have a general question that I'll just throw here because it appears this vehicle doesn't have them... cornering lamps. I know they're available on the CXL and CXS Lucerne, not available with the LaCrosse nor Enclave. The Enclave does however have articulating headlamps. Am I to assume this is the new replacement for cornering lamps? I loved them on cars.

It is amazing that Buick China took the Holden Caprice and dressed it up that much. The interior looks very rich. It does not look stripped or anything. They would hardly need to change much to make it an American Buick. The sad thing is.. I knew GM was going to do this.. They are torturing people like VenSeattle with something he cannot have. It is like dangling a bottle in front of a baby when you know he wants it.

I do not understand why GM North America feels Buick does not deserve cars like this.. The LaCrosse and Lucerne's look stripped and more like Chevrolet Impalas compared to their Chinese counter parts. Why is it always GM everywhere else around the world gets it, and North American GM does not.

All I can say is wow.. At least they are not holding up some Oldsmobile over my head I would want I could not have....

I will say it again, it has to do with the enormous price difference between a US Lucerne and a Chinese Park Avenue. The 3.6 L costs $US50,250 after all.

Wow, that is a stunning Buick..and that interior is gorgeous. This is better than anything Buick NA has...bring it over here just like this..name and all!

Check out the fully integrated center stack!

$US50,250–$US64,468 price tag for the 3.6 L and all? That price tag buys a lot of the goodies you see here.

Comparison:

2008 Buick Park Avenue interior:

Posted Image

2008 Lucerne Super interior:

Posted Image

2008 LaCrosse Interior:

Posted Image

2008 Buick Park Avenue exterior:

Posted Image

2008 Buick Lucerne exterior:

Posted Image

2008 Buick LaCrosse front shot:

Posted Image

2008 Buick Park Avenue front shot:

Posted Image

2008 LaCrosse interior seats:

Posted Image

2008 Buick Park Avenue interior seats:

Posted Image

2008 Buick LaCrosse center stack:

Posted Image

2008 Buick Park Avenue center stack:

Posted Image

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I guess I'm the only one that's not impressed . . . . if BUICK brought it over in tact it would be panned as being too much like the Impala in the rear (if you think GM would retool it, you're kidding yourself) and the interior is over styled and not cohesive. Elements of the center stack are OK, but overall looks like a big grey blob. Maybe it's just a lousy photo, but I don't care for the way the doors blend with the dash. Various makes and models (GM and nonGM) have had the air vents in the doors and I never like that look; makes the door heavy and prone to rattles. Rear has a huge blind spot. Overly high rear seat makes the rear quarter windows useless. Big and BORING!! Lucerne and LaX may not be perfect, but this is no better.

thanks for being just like motor trend and all the other journalists.

wow, i am blown away. i go back and forth on whether i prefer the daewoo dash or this one. i like both and just will say choice is good! this car is a dream.

absolute crime its not here. CRIME.

and the buick dealers say they didn't want this? then they all deserve to go under. WOW. maybe buickman can explain why the dealers would not want this AWESOME CAR....

I would tweak the grille and rear and sculpt the sides a bit more for buick (go to GMi for an awesome chop) but as is its fantastic. speechless really.

Edited by regfootball

Posted Image

mmmmmmmmmm doesnt that just make you want to crawl inside and take a nap.

it does! its as luscious as an S Class back there.

wow, the misses and i could really make great use of that back seat.

i think no I still prefer the daewoo/holden dash to the park avenue one, but its a minor thing. its mostly the same anyways.

WOW. Get Mr. Lutz on the line and please have him explain why we can't have this now.

My guess is its unions, health care, beancounters, supplier contracts and unions. mix in a bit of poor management too.

Call me uneducated, but I have never realized how can somebody tell the feel of plastic, just looking at the pictures? Honestly I am not being sarcastic can someone explain that to me?

I guess I'm the only one that's not impressed . . . . if BUICK brought it over in tact it would be panned as being too much like the Impala in the rear (if you think GM would retool it, you're kidding yourself) and the interior is over styled and not cohesive. Elements of the center stack are OK, but overall looks like a big grey blob. Maybe it's just a lousy photo, but I don't care for the way the doors blend with the dash. Various makes and models (GM and nonGM) have had the air vents in the doors and I never like that look; makes the door heavy and prone to rattles. Rear has a huge blind spot. Overly high rear seat makes the rear quarter windows useless. Big and BORING!! Lucerne and LaX may not be perfect, but this is no better.

Very picky.

Anyways, that is what I like about this interior. The design doesn't stop with the dash, it continues into the doors. A trait that far too many interiors lack these days.

Very picky.

Anyways, that is what I like about this interior. The design doesn't stop with the dash, it continues into the doors. A trait that far too many interiors lack these days.

Agreed...wrap-around dashes rock. I don't know why they seemed to disappear after the 90s.

thanks for being just like motor trend and all the other journalists.

wow, i am blown away. i go back and forth on whether i prefer the daewoo dash or this one. i like both and just will say choice is good! this car is a dream.

absolute crime its not here. CRIME.

and the buick dealers say they didn't want this? then they all deserve to go under. WOW. maybe buickman can explain why the dealers would not want this AWESOME CAR....

I would tweak the grille and rear and sculpt the sides a bit more for buick (go to GMi for an awesome chop) but as is its fantastic. speechless really.

They don't want it as well as the Lucerne. I'm sure they'll be quite happy to get the next gen instead.

It is amazing that Buick China took the Holden Caprice and dressed it up that much. The interior looks very rich. It does not look stripped or anything. They would hardly need to change much to make it an American Buick.[/b] The sad thing is.. I knew GM was going to do this.. They are torturing people like VenSeattle with something he cannot have. It is like dangling a bottle in front of a baby when you know he wants it.

:bowdown::drool::lovey::spit::dizzy::thumbsup::cheering:

Thank you! I agree 100%! It's beautiful. :cry: This is definitely worthy of the Park Avenue name and an exquisite example of a Buick flagship sedan. If sold in the US, the rear would need to be modified, but nothing else. I'll take the car in the pictures... exterior/interior color and all.... Black & Tan... just like one of my favorite drinks. :cheers:

They don't want it as well as the Lucerne. I'm sure they'll be quite happy to get the next gen instead.

yeah but sales of the lucerne will start tanking soon. the park avenue or statesman or whatever will maintain brand interest after the lucerne get's dismissed in the public's mind.

So why do we keep getting hand me downs here in the U.S. exactly? Oh thats right the Chinese are so much more discerning when it comes to the details...LOL!, B.S. I say!! I don't mind the Lucerne thats currently out, the Lacrosse...eh not the best to me. But when you see a car like this that GM can execute so well it kind of makes you wonder what their marketing strategy is for us.

WOW! They even maintained the traditional red/white/blue Buick shields... I wish that were the case here, oh, wait. Nevermind, I forgot that our culture has been brainwashed to think that cheap ass looking 1980s all chrome 'dime-a-dozen' emblems on the imports = premium, so now we have to follow suit.

:bowdown::drool::lovey::spit::dizzy::thumbsup::cheering:

Thank you! I agree 100%! It's beautiful. :cry: This is definitely worthy of the Park Avenue name and an exquisite example of a Buick flagship sedan. If sold in the US, the rear would need to be modified, but nothing else. I'll take the car in the pictures... exterior/interior color and all.... Black & Tan... just like one of my favorite drinks. :cheers:

You would pay $55,000 for it too?