NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

First drive: Hummer H3 is just the beginning

20 posts in this topic

First drive: Hummer H3 is just the beginning

Posted Image

PHOTO FROM: AUTOCHANNEL.COM

SOURCE:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf...A2572BA000E458A

Hefty: H3 consumes at least 13.7L/100km in 3.7 guise, with a V8 to come.

Holden’s Hummer range looks set to grow with V8, diesel, ethanol power - and a ute

By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS in INDIANA 11 April 2007

GM HOLDEN’S Hummer H3 plans will expand from late 2008 or early 2009 to include petrol V8 and turbo-diesel applications.

At least one extra bodystyle is also expected to arrive, in the guise of a still-secret four-door crew-cab-style utility (known as an SUT Sport Utility Truck in Hummer-speak), as well as the possibility of a more traditional two-door short-cab ute.

All will join the South African-built five-cylinder petrol H3 SUV model line-up announced in February and available from July in Australia.

The V8 was unveiled last week at the New York International Auto Show, on the back of the Australian media’s first-drive of the existing five-cylinder H3 in Indiana.

Dubbed the Alpha, the H3 V8 uses a variation of GM's Gen-III all-alloy two-valve pushrod V8. In this application, it is a compact 5.3-litre unit developing 224kW of power at 5200rpm and 438Nm of torque at 4000rpm.

In contrast, a 3.7-litre inline five-cylinder petrol engine producing 180kW at 5600rpm and 328Nm at 4600rpm powers the existing H3.

Both engines use GM’s Hydra-Matic 4L60-E four-speed automatic transmission, driving a two-speed electronically controlled full-time 4WD system.

For now, the 3.7’s five-speed manual gearbox – the first Hummer to offer one – is not available in the V8.

GM claims the H3 Alpha V8 will sprint to 100km/h from standstill in around eight seconds. No V8 fuel consumption figures have been divulged, but the five-cylinder models return between 13.7 and 14.5L/100km in the ADR81/01 official combined average results.

Compared to the five-cylinder models, the V8’s 2721kg towing capacity increases by more than 33 per cent.

In order to install the V8, Hummer modified the H3’s engine compartment, engine mounts, ladder chassis frame and front differential casing, while the suspension’s torsion bar rates and shock absorber rates have also been modified.

A diesel also figures strongly in the H3’s future. GM is keeping quiet about it for now, but a development of the 2.0-litre common-rail four-cylinder turbo-diesel unit developed between GM DAT and VM Motori and launched recently in the Holden Captiva is thought to be the most viable proposition.

Speculation suggests that the Captiva’s engine can be enlarged to 2.2 or even 2.5 litres in capacity.

Future H3 developments also point to E85 ethanol-powered versions, along with the implementation of bio-diesel engine technology.

When it comes to engines, the H3’s Achilles' Heel is the size of its engine bay, since the stubby nose design so important in preserving the original HMMWV – or "Humvee" – military vehicle’s lines precludes the fitment of bulky engines.

In fact, its current inline five-cylinder engine, originally devised for use in an aborted Chevrolet van, was the only credible engine that would fit. It is a development of GM’s Atlas inline six-cylinder engine found in some US Chev trucks – but with a cylinder lopped off it.

Launched in America in early 2005, the H3 is built off existing General Motors Corporation (GMC) componentry, using much of the platform belonging to the latest iteration of the GMC Canyon/Chevrolet Colorado medium-sized pick-up truck, launched in 2004.

Around 56,000 were sold the US in 2006, compared to 14,000 of Hummer’s larger, more expensive H2 SUV. The latter is loosely based on the full-sized GMC Suburban truck.

Currently the US accounts for the lion’s share of H3 production, with only 12 per cent exported – mainly to Europe and the Middle East.

Hummer hopes that total sales outside of North America will exceed 25 per cent within the next few years. Holden expects to sell around 750 H3s in its first full year of availability in Australia, with this number rising when further models come on line.

In fact, GM says it has been surprised by the number of internet enquiries for all its Hummer models – at least 20 per cent have connected to sales, according to Hummer’s general manager Martin Walsh.

In Australia, Holden claims it already holds 200 firm orders for the H3.

As previously reported, the H3 will be available in three models – base, Adventure and Luxury – with the hardcore Adventure adding an electronic rear differential lock, off-road suspension and a shorter low-range ratio of 4.03:1.

The H3 employs a torsion bar front/leaf rear suspension set-up, powered rack-and-pinion steering, 216mm of ground clearance, 60 per cent grade capability, 40 per cent side slope capability and a 610mm fording depth.

Holden claims that the H3’s size, weight and fuel consumption are "comparable" with other mid-sized SUVs such as the Toyota Prado, Nissan Pathfinder and Mitsubishi Pajero.

DRIVE IMPRESSIONS:

HUMMER. Is it the Willys Jeep of the post-911 era, and so a symbol of war and devastation, or is this an American foot soldier for freedom and justice?

It’s a conundrum that is enough to do your head in. We can understand if you’d rather just ignore the H3 completely.

It gets worse for the Hummer too.

Post fuel-crisis, global warming and anti-SUV sentiments, the Hummer is the salt in Susan Sarandon’s wound as she protests against climate change in her Toyota Prius, the fly in David Suzuki’s global village ointment, or a poke in the eye of Bob Brown’s Green Party agenda.

In this day and age, a Hummer – any Hummer – is out of step with the world’s woes, even before you sit inside and drive it... and this is exactly what we have just done.

On sale now, with deliveries beginning around July, the H3 is a mid-sized 4WD wagon with lots and lots of baggage to haul around its deceptively modest cargo area.

In isolation it seems humungous, but closer inspection reveals a Mitsubishi Pajero-sized SUV, but with less room inside. Until the circa-2010 compact Hummer ‘H4’ lobs in, this is the smallest they come.

Like a granny flat on wheels, the H3’s roof is low, and the interior not very spacious, even for a mid-sized 4WD.

On the other hand, the functional and well-presented cabin surprised us. It boasts acceptable-quality trim and surface finishes, without the rubbish plastics that so blight most American vehicles. In fact, the sheer subdued-ness of the interior struck as a good thing.

However, among the generally well-finished group of media assessment H3s for us to peruse, there lurked a dog, full of rattles and squeaks, and complete with gale-force wind noise and a terminal case of wobbly wheel syndrome. Hummer insisted that particular H3 was an exception.

That aberration aside, we were pleasantly surprised by the H3’s relative refinement, from its cushy ride to the lack of mechanical noise intrusion.

So far, so pretty good then, and we began to reassess prejudices about a product that – frankly – we knew very little about, reinforced by a couple of hours of heavy-duty, hardcore off-road driving.

Admittedly it was on Hummer’s very own dedicated proving ground, but this vehicle’s ability to cross some very inhospitable country had us wondering whether any Land Rover or Jeep could possibly keep up.

The H3 – in the steep, muddy, rocky and river-wading environment we crawled through – impressed us with its mountain goat, go-anywhere gusto.

Combine this with the upper-spec models’ classy cabin presentation, and we were starting to see a real Land Rover Discovery rival.

But then you drive the H3 on the open road, and this car’s biggest (and very much unexpected – especially for a big American vehicle) failing rears its ugly head like a Far Right Republican protester at a lesbian whale land-rights meeting.

Under that stout bonnet beats the unmistakable thrum of a five-cylinder petrol engine, producing 180kW of power at 5600rpm and 328Nm of torque at 4600rpm from 3.7 litres.

That’s like slotting a base VE Commodore engine – complete with its similar four-speed automatic gearbox, but minus a cylinder – in a full-sized Toyota LandCruiser. It might seem passably powerful cruising on the highway, or roaring from the traffic lights, but any overtaking or uphill speed requests are met with a wail from the nose and a dragging from the rear.

The upcoming V8 and (as yet unconfirmed) turbo-diesel variants cannot come soon enough. Even Hummer’s Stateside personnel will quietly admit that GM had little choice but to fit the only engine that fits behind the H3’s bad blunt nose.

We could also do without the vague steering, and its susceptibility to crosswinds even at moderate speed. And how many three-legged drivers will get to enjoy the foot-operated park brake in the manual model?

So we came away from the H3 wondering not why it has any right to exist, but instead thinking up ways that GM could improve the on-road performance and dynamics of a vehicle that – for a select bunch of buyers – offers a very capable off-road alternative to the Toyotas, Jeeps and Land Rovers of this world.

Look beyond the socio-political baggage that the badge brings, and the H3 is not the stupid ignorant American some may have you thinking it is.

It’s just a bit slow, that’s all.

2007 Hummer H3 range pricing:

H3 $51,990

H3 (a) $53,990

H3 Adventure $57,990

H3 Adventure (a) $59,990

H3 Luxury (a) $59,990

"Look beyond the socio-political baggage that the badge brings, and the H3 is not the stupid ignorant American some may have you thinking it is."

Yeah what he said :pokeowned: You most certainly don't see or hear people bitching about the Jeep brand all the time, Wranglers in paticular. Just H2s, and H3s. I would still take an H3 with Adventure package anyday, but if and when the H4 finally comes out give me one of those and I'll be one happy camper. And I'm not saying I don't love Jeep Wranglers, especially the new one. I just don't want to park 2 miles away when I come to work because of the policy they have here.

The socio-political baggage carried by Hummer is just an effort to thwart another successful GM division.

Everytime GM has a hit, someone comes out of the woodwork with a new "theme" as to why we shouldn't buy it. EXAMPLES: "Chevrolet is a rental car" "Pontiac is blue collar" (God forbid!! *GASP*) "Buick is an old mans car" "Cadillacs are for blacks" "GMC is just a Chevrolet" "Oldsmobile (Or any other old school GM division) is unreliable" "Hummer is killing babies by polluting the earth" "Saab is weird and irrelevant" "Saturn is for nerds"

It never ends and it'll only get worse as people try to stiffle the success of the new launches (THINK HHR)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

The socio-political baggage carried by Hummer is just an effort to thwart another successful GM division.

Everytime GM has a hit, someone comes out of the woodwork with a new "theme" as to why we shouldn't buy it. EXAMPLES: "Chevrolet is a rental car" "Pontiac is blue collar" (God forbid!! *GASP*) "Buick is an old mans car" "Cadillacs are for blacks" "GMC is just a Chevrolet" "Oldsmobile (Or any other old school GM division) is unreliable" "Hummer is killing babies by polluting the earth" "Saab is weird and irrelevant" "Saturn is for nerds"

It never ends and it'll only get worse as people try to stiffle the success of the new launches (THINK HHR)

Please...if you actually think about what Hummers and the military imagery they project (at a time when many other countries are miffed about the US's involvement in Iraq), you could understand why driving a Hummer might not be a statement many people outside the US (or here at home) would want to make.

It's hilarious that everything revolves around conspiracy theories against GM here. Actually, its kind of sad, since the blinders you have on prevents you from seeing what is really happening to GM, as well as what could happen if things don't change quickly at the RenCen....

I've driven this vehicle and its big brother. It's nothing more than a Penis enlargement device, taken to the highest levels. About 1% off the owners of the H2/H3 will use its capability. The rest could have gotten by with an AWD minivan, but their ego wouldn't/couldn't allow it...

AND-If you don't think that there's a logical disconnect between societal concerns about the environment, the wastefulness of traditional SUV's in general and GM's New Hybrid programs, then I can't help you.

I believe the whole Hummer brand has been a gross diversion for GM's attention and resources. These trucks could have been badged GMC or Chevy and done just fine---without more needless marketing dollars being flushed away. Whn you wonder why the new Saturns aren't meeting sales projections or why the G6's promotional machine broke after Oprah or how Saab hasn't gotten a replacement for the 9-5, look no further than Hummer, which seems to escape the wrath of GM'er frustrated by GM's efforts to revive Saab or Saturn

Please...if you actually think about what Hummers and the military imagery they project (at a time when many other countries are miffed about the US's involvement in Iraq), you could understand why driving a Hummer might not be a statement many people outside the US (or here at home) would want to make.

It's hilarious that everything revolves around conspiracy theories against GM here. Actually, its kind of sad, since the blinders you have on prevents you from seeing what is really happening to GM, as well as what could happen if things don't change quickly at the RenCen....

I've driven this vehicle and its big brother. It's nothing more than a Penis enlargement device, taken to the highest levels. About 1% off the owners of the H2/H3 will use its capability. The rest could have gotten by with an AWD minivan, but their ego wouldn't/couldn't allow it...

AND-If you don't think that there's a logical disconnect between societal concerns about the environment, the wastefulness of traditional SUV's in general and GM's New Hybrid programs, then I can't help you.

I believe the whole Hummer brand has been a gross diversion for GM's attention and resources. These trucks could have been badged GMC or Chevy and done just fine---without more needless marketing dollars being flushed away. Whn you wonder why the new Saturns aren't meeting sales projections or why the G6's promotional machine broke after Oprah or how Saab hasn't gotten a replacement for the 9-5, look no further than Hummer, which seems to escape the wrath of GM'er frustrated by GM's efforts to revive Saab or Saturn

I really don't see most other allied countries being miffed about the US involvement in Iraq, it's more like they are just happy that someone else is in the spotlight and doing the job. They are all far more concerned about how our economy is holding up.

Something else I have noticed over the past year or so is that several other brands have started to implement Hummer styling touches into their vehicle designs. This is a trend that may actually be good because it confirms that Hummer envey is still alive and well.

Regarding the H3 at least, it's a very capable and solid truck with great interior and overall build quality. In fact, for something so American, it's about the most "German" vehicle I've ever owned from Detroit. Now that there's a Hummer exclusive dealer in my area, I can also say that the service/dealer experience is also top-shelf as well. I also think that the advertising has been continually first rate so at the very least, the brand has been a positive learning experience for GM.

The G6 seems to be ramping up now, it was probably limited by equipment choices when it launched. I also think thet Solstice may be helping a bit because it has given Pontiac some needed design credibility. Saab will remain sales limited until they can finally find a way to break out of the North East market.

Anyway, that's why Hummer has escaped this GMer's wrath.

I've driven this vehicle and its big brother. It's nothing more than a Penis enlargement device,

You actually had me agreeing until that statement.

1) That's blatant opinion and shows your true bias on the situation. And 2) I'm real tired of people being so judgmental in this "Oh my god, I'm so eff-ing style concious" country. If someone wants to drive a god forsaken Hummer, then THEY CAN CHOOSE TO DRIVE A HUMMER. The yuppies at the coffee shop, and what they think, or what they fantasize about, should not factor into the decision. It's nothing more than the "upper class" trying to regulate something they find is threatening. (Such is the story of very 'blue collar' Detroit in general) They find the fact that "assholes like that" can afford something that conveys as much power as a Hummer "offensive" and they seek to REGULATE this by 1) literally talking $h! about the division. 2) Trying to ban SUVs and 3) talking up the gas and terrorism propaganda.

About 1% off the owners of the H2/H3 will use its capability. The rest could have gotten by with an AWD minivan, but their ego wouldn't/couldn't allow it...

1) That is beside the point. They wanted a Hummer, so they BOUGHT a Hummer. Our hyper capitalist culture SHOULD appreciate this aspect of people, since we've spent 100 years brainwashing people that "materialism is everything" 2) Most of the import YUPPIES could've gotten by on the stellar reliability of an Impala _AND_ contributed to OUR economy, yet their ego wouldn't allow it...

Last year, the cars in the US accounted for 6% of CO2 emissions... The emissions were 3rd behind Methane gas and water vapor (caused by photosynthesis) Somehow I don't think 30,000 less people in Hummer SUVs is going to make a helluva whole lot of difference. To change the way this dump of a world is headed, you're going to have to change ATTITUDES and buying habits, NOT regulate choice.

Saab is just as futile of an investment as Hummer. At least Hummer made GM A LOT of money when they initially invested in it and the brand still is VERY viable. Saturn is not meeting projections because overnight they went from selling a crappy echo-wannabe to selling a 30,000 SUV. And the Pontiac G6 is doing pretty well. The PR machine broke on it when the media lambasted it for lacking desired "driving characteristics" and being a 'chick car' (Because of Oprah) when MORE than half of the Honda and Toyotas they constantly whack off over are either 1) OWNED by 'chicks' or 2) WERE PURCHASED as a result of the decision of a 'chick'.

It's sad that we live in such a sexist society... STILL

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

You actually had me agreeing until that statement.

1) That's blatant opinion and shows your true bias on the situation. And 2) I'm real tired of people being so judgmental in this "Oh my god, I'm so eff-ing style concious" country. If someone wants to drive a god forsaken Hummer, then THEY CAN CHOOSE TO DRIVE A HUMMER. The yuppies at the coffee shop, and what they think, or what they fantasize about, should not factor into the decision. It's nothing more than the "upper class" trying to regulate something they find is threatening. (Such is the story of very 'blue collar' Detroit in general) They find the fact that "assholes like that" can afford something that conveys as much power as a Hummer "offensive" and they seek to REGULATE this by 1) literally talking $h! about the division. 2) Trying to ban SUVs and 3) talking up the gas and terrorism propaganda.

1) That is beside the point. They wanted a Hummer, so they BOUGHT a Hummer. Our hyper capitalist culture SHOULD appreciate this aspect of people, since we've spent 100 years brainwashing people that "materialism is everything" 2) Most of the import YUPPIES could've gotten by on the stellar reliability of an Impala _AND_ contributed to OUR economy, yet their ego wouldn't allow it...

Last year, the cars in the US accounted for 6% of CO2 emissions... The emissions were 3rd behind Methane gas and water vapor (caused by photosynthesis) Somehow I don't think 30,000 less people in Hummer SUVs is going to make a helluva whole lot of difference. To change the way this dump of a world is headed, you're going to have to change ATTITUDES and buying habits, NOT regulate choice.

Saab is just as futile of an investment as Hummer. At least Hummer made GM A LOT of money when they initially invested in it and the brand still is VERY viable. Saturn is not meeting projections because overnight they went from selling a crappy echo-wannabe to selling a 30,000 SUV. And the Pontiac G6 is doing pretty well. The PR machine broke on it when the media lambasted it for lacking desired "driving characteristics" and being a 'chick car' (Because of Oprah) when MORE than half of the Honda and Toyotas they constantly whack off over are either 1) OWNED by 'chicks' or 2) WERE PURCHASED as a result of the decision of a 'chick'.

It's sad that we live in such a sexist society... STILL

1) I believe in choice, completely, and I'm not against Hummer's existence, I just think the Hummer lineup, while successful, isn't really what GM should have been focusing on. It's difficult for the Buick standalone to be told he's gotta fold himself into a GMC-Pontiac group when someone's building a H-stamped quonset hut across the street.

Please don't let me sway anyone who's less endowed to go out and get a Hummer! :) (BTW-I've mostly seen Yuppies, NOT mid-classers behind the wheel of these things)

2)The Pontiac lineup is at 50% fleet, IIRC. The G6 has not been selling at the GrandAm's old pace, despite the fact that it is a far superior product.

Pontiac is dead. GM just doesn't know it yet. (No international sales, no unique platforms and dwindling standalones should clue us in)

People are indoctrinated to believe that this...

Posted Image

And this...

Posted Image

Doesn't make that company any less 'green.'

Pontiac is dead. GM just doesn't know it yet. (No international sales, no unique platforms and dwindling standalones should clue us in)

Pontiac is global in a way as it is pretty much becoming Holden as Saturn has morphed into Opel.

Oh I'd love to see GM market the brands like that, talk about GM's name being recognized. Imagine GM coming on TV and saying things like: Yes, we killed Oldsmobile, because it had they word OLD in it's name, so we changed it to Newsmobile! Or, do you have a pocket protector? Well do we have a Saturn for you. or What up Fly? Come slap your bisket up against this Caddy's bumper and feel the QUAL-I-TEE! Look at the JUNK in the TRUNK! MMMMMMM HMMMMMMM! :P

People are indoctrinated to believe that this...

Posted Image

And this...

Posted Image

Doesn't make that company any less 'green.'

Except, GI's aren't having their legs blown off in Tundras. And Toyota is nearly outspending Ford & GM combined on near term R & D.

I'm not saying Hummers shouldn't be available, just that the distraction of another brand, regardless of its success, is not necessarily what GM needs right now. I know the Hummer products would have looked great as a Chevy sub-brand (think polar opposite of GEO) in our showrooms.

And, as far as my out-of context statement you quoted above, perception IS reality, especially for GM right now.

Except, GI's aren't having their legs blown off in Tundras. And Toyota is nearly outspending Ford & GM combined on near term R & D.

I'm not saying Hummers shouldn't be available, just that the distraction of another brand, regardless of its success, is not necessarily what GM needs right now. I know the Hummer products would have looked great as a Chevy sub-brand (think polar opposite of GEO) in our showrooms.

And, as far as my out-of context statement you quoted above, perception IS reality, especially for GM right now.

I want to know where you got this "Toyota is nearly outspending Ford/GM on R&D"... Sounds like a pipe dream with all that GM is developing. Making a crappy hybrid doesn't mean you spend lots on R&D and last I heard it was a completely different story.

What up Fly? Come slap your bisket up against this Caddy's bumper and feel the QUAL-I-TEE! Look at the JUNK in the TRUNK! MMMMMMM HMMMMMMM! :P

I won't make a political debate about this, but that has nothing to do with this conversation so let's try and refrain from saying stuff like that in threads outside of the "lounge"

I also disagree with your idea that GM shouldn't be focusing on the Hummer brand as much as it's core brands. Quite the opposite. GM should take the same approach with this brand as DCX was doing with Jeep prior to the sale and Ford is still doing with Land Rover, which is expanding the brand downmarket. Focusing on smaller SUVs that aren't too hog-like with gas as their larger vehicles do.

GM is doing that and I'm glad that they are. It will further take the Hummer brand out of the crosshairs of most environmentalists. Let's face it, the H2 doesn't have much longer to live with gas prices going up and eventually all large/medium BOF SUVs will be a thing of the past. Smaller is better and I'm all for GM altering the brand and thus fixing it's image.

H3 is awesome. If anyone wants to volunteer to have their leg blown off in a tundra, let's go ahead and set that up. All you gotta do is start the engine and when the camshaft shreds and sends schrapnel into the passenger bay and rips up your leg, we won't even need to send you to Iraq to take what you have coming to you.

H3 with a nice diesel and stick would be the bomb, BTW.

Except, GI's aren't having their legs blown off in Tundras.

No. But insurgents are getting blown up in Hiluxes.

Pontiac is global in a way as it is pretty much becoming Holden as Saturn has morphed into Opel.

Ummm, no. Most Holdens are rebadged Opels (Saturns) or Daewoos (Chevys), and that isn't going to change. Holden's other products are usually rebadged as Chevrolets for export. Holden is more like a merged Chevrolet and Saturn lineup, a lot like Chevrolet Mexico (which has both North and South American Chevrolet models and imported Opels). Providing models for Pontiac or Buick requires additional investment in differentiation, if only minor in the case of the G8. Edited by thegriffon

By nature, Hummer is a polarizing brand. You hear a lot about how people hate it, but if you've ever met a Hummer owner, they absolutely love their cars. Not to mention a load of their friends are envious. The people who say to get rid of Hummer don't understand that other side and further don't understand how brands work. Hummer will reach buyers in a real way and create advocates that no other brand GM has will. Without Hummer, those people will either end up in TBs or Tahoes not giving a crap about their car and complaining every time something goes wrong or will buy Jeeps.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room