Bought a 77 Cutlass Supreme on Ebay

Well boys I guess I won't be getting a new car anytime soon..... I was the winning bidder on Ebay this week for a 77 Cutlass Supreme. Maybe some of you saw it since it was up there for 10 days. Very nice car, black on red, 1 owner. I can't believe I bought something without even seeing it in person or driving it. I'm picking it up next week and stopping off at Carlisle on my way home.

Here's the listing that the owner had on Ebay,

Looking for a very nice '77 Cutlass? Here it is!! This is one owner car with original title and window sticker. Black with Red interior. ALWAYS GARAGE KEPT!! This is a rust free car. All original with like new rubber. Even has the original GM Olds floor mats. We purchased this car about 2 weeks ago and have driven it approximately 250 miles. Ready to drive anywhere.

Paperwork includes: original title, window sticker, auto warranty, owner's manuel, maintenance schedule, tire warranty, pre-delivery check list, and Federal odometer certification. Also a invoice for muffler and four shocks that were replaced 4-28-93.

This car has had 2 places repaired and painted. One above the trunk lid and below the back glass. The other is on the passenger side front finder. This repair was conveyed to me by the original owner before my purchase. These were NOT body damage but were scratches and cracked paint. The opera window exterior trim needs to be replaced due to discoloration. Due to normal wear, also could use new door to glass rubber seals. Also trunk rubber seal show some wear. But there are NO LEAKS. Look closely at our pictures, there is a damaged place on the driver side edge of the dash pad and also a small damage in the passenger's seat.

Car has approxmiately 94,700 miles and has been serviced by the owner since new. Oil, tires, filters, batteries and lubes. Oil changed every 3,000 miles until it was removed as a daily driver app. 6 years ago. It was then tagged under Antique and driven very little. The oil was then changed yearly with 10-30 Havoline.

We are supplying 14 pictures of this Classic, to show any and all damage and normal wear. There are no mechanical problems as far as we can tell. Air Condition and AM-FM 8 track tape player works great.

This is a partial listing off of the original window sticker. Power steering, power brakes, front disc. Bumper impact strips. Tinted windows. Air. Tilt. Cruise. Bucket seats with console. 350 V8. Turbo hydra-matic transmission. 2.41 gear ratio. Super stock II wheels.[/size]

Edited by I hope GMRULES again

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got some experience with a 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. :P

Remember XP's red/white fire-chief's car that I was storing at my house?

Mine is a really nice 2 door with the rally wheels, vinyl roof etc. I'll try and link some pics off it here.

PLEASE do! Lookin' forward to seeing it!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I knew she was a jewel in disguise" ... Kathy Mattea ... '455 Rocket'

Cool, nice vintage Detroit iron.

XP was joking about buying another 1977 Cutty... 4 door.

Thanks for the comments and please keep them coming. I hope it looks as good in person as it does in the photos. The timing was perfect since my brother and some friends were going to Carlisle next week anyways so we're going to leave a day early and get this baby in Virginia and then turn around and head back north to Carlisle.These were still A bodies. My Father had a 76 Cutlass Supreme and that was the car that we had when I got into cars so I've always loved them. Does anyone know how it works in Virginia for the transfer? The original owners are older and don't really know ... they said once I get there and pay for the car they sign over the title and I'm on my way. I'm assuming I will then go to a DMV and get a transit that enables me to drive for a couple of days. The plan will be to leave Carlisle Sunday morning and head for upstate New York to a friends house where I will have to leave the car for a few days because I have to go to the border and give them the paper work so they can run a check on the car before its allowed to be exported out of the U.S. There is a lot of red tape involved but it should all be worth it in the end. I plan to document the whole trip and have lots of pics. :pbjtime:

I plan to document the whole trip and have lots of pics.

AWESOME! Lookin' forward to seeing those pics :).

And, yeah, your chain of events seems about right. I last bought a car in 2003 ... my '87 MC LS ... picked it up near Cincy OH. I simply paid the previous owners the agreed amount, then we went to a DMV for me to get temporary plates ... and then I drove it back to IL. Once I got home, the next week, I went into our DMV to get the registration done for IL....

my radio show:CD SHOWCASE.7:30p central.Friday/April 20 = www.wrmn1410.com

Thanks for the comments and please keep them coming. I hope it looks as good in person as it does in the photos. The timing was perfect since my brother and some friends were going to Carlisle next week anyways so we're going to leave a day early and get this baby in Virginia and then turn around and head back north to Carlisle.These were still A bodies. My Father had a 76 Cutlass Supreme and that was the car that we had when I got into cars so I've always loved them. Does anyone know how it works in Virginia for the transfer? The original owners are older and don't really know ... they said once I get there and pay for the car they sign over the title and I'm on my way. I'm assuming I will then go to a DMV and get a transit that enables me to drive for a couple of days. The plan will be to leave Carlisle Sunday morning and head for upstate New York to a friends house where I will have to leave the car for a few days because I have to go to the border and give them the paper work so they can run a check on the car before its allowed to be exported out of the U.S. There is a lot of red tape involved but it should all be worth it in the end. I plan to document the whole trip and have lots of pics. :pbjtime:

Every state is different, but I would advise you to have the seller's signature on the title notarized. An auto tag place can do this and may be able to give you the transit documents as well. I'd do some phone work and get as much set up ahead of time in Virginia as possible.

Loooking forward to the pics and story. And to seeing the car in person at Carlisle!

Every state is different, but I would advise you to have the seller's signature on the title notarized. An auto tag place can do this and may be able to give you the transit documents as well. I'd do some phone work and get as much set up ahead of time in Virginia as possible.

Loooking forward to the pics and story. And to seeing the car in person at Carlisle!

Is an auto tag place the same thing as a DMV office? I can't get through to Virginia DMV cause they only have 1-800 numbers on thier web site and they don't work from Canada.

Is an auto tag place the same thing as a DMV office? I can't get through to Virginia DMV cause they only have 1-800 numbers on thier web site and they don't work from Canada.

No, the auto tag places are independent businesses.

Can anyone in Virginia give him a lead on one?

Posted Image

A very flattering view! This (actually the 1976) was my first car, as a hand-me down after my Dad used it for a while...low mileage.

This is one of America's most beloved cars. And for good reason. In 1976, it took a leap from its previous resemblance to its stablemates (Regal, GP, MC) to be more progressively styled and win the beauty contest....hands down. In 1977, minor changes were introduced...the passenger side of the dash lost the circular vents in favor of rectangular ones. The other thing that jumped out were the color changes in 1977....a light green interior came into being and the deep burgundy of 1976 (called Mahogany) gave way to the red you see in this car.

What a find! Congratulations! What powers it....a 260, a 350 or a 403? Either way, they are all Oldsmobile Rocket V8s and should perform impeccably well... and with a sexy engine note to boot, from both inside and outside the car. (I know, I used to lower my passenger window over bridges to hear the engine).

BTW, take real good care of it with the elements up there. And it was actually the 1975 Cutlass Salon coupe that was my first childhood automotive love...Persimmon metallic, white landau top, the plump bucket seats in beige cloth and color keyed rally wheels...was there anything more beautiful?

A very flattering view! This (actually the 1976) was my first car, as a hand-me down after my Dad used it for a while...low mileage.

This is one of America's most beloved cars. And for good reason. In 1976, it took a leap from its previous resemblance to its stablemates (Regal, GP, MC) to be more progressively styled and win the beauty contest....hands down. In 1977, minor changes were introduced...the passenger side of the dash lost the circular vents in favor of rectangular ones. The other thing that jumped out were the color changes in 1977....a light green interior came into being and the deep burgundy of 1976 (called Mahogany) gave way to the red you see in this car.

What a find! Congratulations! What powers it....a 260, a 350 or a 403? Either way, they are all Oldsmobile Rocket V8s and should perform impeccably well... and with a sexy engine note to boot, from both inside and outside the car. (I know, I used to lower my passenger window over bridges to hear the engine).

BTW, take real good care of it with the elements up there. And it was actually the 1975 Cutlass Salon coupe that was my first childhood automotive love...Persimmon metallic, white landau top, the plump bucket seats in beige cloth and color keyed rally wheels...was there anything more beautiful?

We think alike! I love the look of the 76-77, they have always been my favorite car. I prefer the 76 too with the circular vents and what I think is a nicer steering wheel and the waterfall grill only has the one divider in the middle but besides that they're identical. It has the 350. My first post includes all the info that was listed by the seller on Ebay. Just hope it looks as good in person. You can never judge by pics alone.

I am hoping to be at Carlisle for Friday afternoon and if I am I will go to the auction around 4:30 and try to find you when your car comes up. The Cutlass will be parked close by and hopefully you can check it out.

I prefer the 76 too with the circular vents and what I think is a nicer steering wheel and the waterfall grill only has the one divider in the middle but besides that they're identical.

Agreed on the grille, though they are both very nice models.

Remember, those were the days when GM had "nip and tuck" in their budget for EVERY model year. In fact, thinking about the 81-88 RWD Cutlass Supreme coupes (I had a 1984 Brougham coupe and LOVED it), it's amazing that you could pick out every year by its different grille...or sometimes colors. Try doing that with a 2005-2008 base model Grand Prix! LOL (The 2004 is identifiable because of the standard "dual exhaust" and the trunk's keyed lock).

I'm editing this post to put up a sketch of my 1976 that I had on my "corkboard" in my office.

Posted Image

Edited by trinacriabob

I'm surprised XP has not thrown up a photo of the white/blue 1977 Cutty

that he's thinking about buying. He can;t STFU about that car, weirdo. :P

Cool, nice vintage Detroit iron.

XP was joking about buying another 1977 Cutty... 4 door.

Joking?!? You know as well as I do that if I had $400 extra to spare aside from the money I'm trying to scrape together for a certain special Buick I've lusted after that that '77 Cutlass would already be parked in front of my house. It is to me what your stupid-ass Datsuns are to you :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Posted Image

Here's a pic of my first (because I have a funny feeling it won't be my last) '77 Cutlass Supreme sedan on location in York Beach, Maine. The one I know of now is white one with a blue steel roof and a blue interior; I figure I've already had the fire chief's car so why not go for the cop car! Don't ask me why but I'm definitely drawn to these ugly old tanks. It'd be a riot to have another.

Hi, That was cool when I saw you at the traffic light, at least you kind of got to see the car in person. I only arrived on Friday at 5:30 and your car had already been through the auction. I left a note with my # on your window when it was parked outside Friday night but maybe you didn't get it. The Cutlass made it all the way without any problems now I just have to get it through customs. Will post pics later in the week.

Hi, That was cool when I saw you at the traffic light, at least you kind of got to see the car in person. I only arrived on Friday at 5:30 and your car had already been through the auction. I left a note with my # on your window when it was parked outside Friday night but maybe you didn't get it. The Cutlass made it all the way without any problems now I just have to get it through customs. Will post pics later in the week.

No, I didn't get your note - one of the auction twits must have removed it. It was so funny that I was staring at your car (looking for a positive ID) when you called out to me.

Maybe next time.

I hope customs doesn't hassle you too much.

The Cutlass made it all the way without any problems now I just have to get it through customs. Will post pics later in the week.

Looking forward to seeing them, ideally with some backdrops of some great local scenery from your area. Congrats.

Home Weet Home!! The Cutlass is officially in her new home. Left Saranac Lake, NY this morning around 7:30 and got to the border at 8:45. Parked at the U.S. export control building and went in and showed my paper work, they pulled the file and said the title was clear and I was good to go. They didn't even come out to check the car. Took my stamped title and reported to Canadian customs. Showed them my bill of sale etc and they went onto the Nada site to check how much the car was worth. It is ridiculous that you have to pay tax (GST) on something that was not even purchased in Canada. They had a few forms for me to fill and I was on my way, they didn't even come outside to check the car neither. So much for border security. Will post all the photos of the journey on the weekend.

Home Weet Home!! The Cutlass is officially in her new home.

*grins*

CONGRATULATIONS!

I'm looking forward to seeing the new pictures ;).

my radio show:CD SHOWCASE.7:30p central.Friday/April 27 = www.wrmn1410.com

The man showed up first and said his wife would be here in a minute so we chatted for a few minutes. His wife pulls up in a Caddy and says she'll take the cheque and her husband will take me to the car. I wasn't too happy about that but I knew that they were a little worried about my rubber Canadian cheque not being good so what choice did I have? I knew once I commited to this car on Ebay there was no backing out of it, I didn't take a few days off work a drive a thousand miles to change my mind. So she took of with my cheque and we took off following him in his Silverado. Two minutes down the road we pulled into where the car was stored.

Posted Image

Edited by I hope GMRULES again

After giving the car the once over and a quick test drive both parties were happy and they were writing up the bill of sale and then we offered them some Canadian beer. Then my brother and my son pulled out the guitars to play some John Denver tunes. Everyone was having a good time but I was still wondering if I was nuts and praying that I made it home.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image