NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

The Chain reaction of the Chinese Buick Park Avenue

19 posts in this topic

***These are two articles I found today. It is big news all this week. Apparently Holden was impressed with the Chinese Buick Park Avenue, they want one too. They are hinting it would be a model above Holden Caprice with that interior from the Buick.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Buick Park Avenue interior

Super-Luxo Statey Wishlist

CarPoint Editor

14 April 2007

www.carpoint.com.au

Nobody at Fisherman's Bend is talking, but the potential of a super-luxury long-wheelbase Holden burgeoned with the announcement of the Buick-badged Chinese-built WM-based car this week.

Though the Caprice is no stripper, the variety of extra equipment offered across the Buick Park Avenue and Holden's built-for-Daewoo L4X means the current range-topping Holden is left as almost the poor relation.

Looking into the virtual parts bin and building on our comments last week, Holden could readily turn the WM into the sort of conveyance that normally wears Euro-badges, a $200K swingtag and reserved for royalty, or at least captains of industry. And it could probably sell it with a sub-$90K pricetag.

Firstly there's the individual airline-style reclining, heated and massaged equipped rear seats... Add in the Chinese car's air filtration systems and integrated navigation -- and while you're at it we'll have those nifty, seat back tables. Check the box for the Daewoo's rear seat entertainment system and you're halfway there.

The question seems whether the Caprice 'badge' would 'wear' such a hike in equipment and price. Perhaps such added goodies might better be appreciated by HSV customers? Perhaps a headlining Holden luxo might open up markets for the likes of Opel and Chevrolet in South America and South Africa?

Though it's easy to slip into doom and gloom mode when it comes to large cars, Holden's got a swag of possibilities before it with the WM...

The return of the Holden Brougham?

Is Holden planning a model to sit above the Caprice? That's the next question the Korean long-wheelbase car (see top) prompts in our opinion.

The Daewoo L4X will come standard with a host of features never before seen in a standard Holden, according to the information released at the Seoul motor show earlier this week. Indeed, the standard feature list of the car reads more like a European limo than a humble Holden.

According to GM-Daewoo, in addition to the Caprice's bi-xenon headlamps and tri-zone automatic temperature controls, the production version of the L4X will feature a proper DVD nav system, Digital Multimedia Broadcasting (DMB) television, electrically-adjustable rear seats with heating and massage functions, power rear-window curtains, rear roller blinds, reversing camera and more.

In light of all the extra goodies coming on stream and Holden's 'value' pricing of the WM Caprice, it seems very possible that there is room above the top WM for an even swankier model.

Holden retains access to names like Impala, De Ville and Brougham. Could it be that one of these will be resurrected for a super-luxo WM?

WM models:

Buick Park Avenue:

Posted Image

Daewoo LX4:

Posted Image

Holden Caprice/Statesman:

Posted Image

Chevrolet Caprice:

Posted Image

...... Still no North American version...

Nice body style. We need stuff like this in the NA market.

***These are two articles I found today. It is big news all this week. Apparently Holden was impressed with the Chinese Buick Park Avenue, they want one too. They are hinting it would be a model above Holden Caprice with that interior from the Buick.

Jesus, has Hell frozen over? Holden likes something other than what came from their narrowminded little country! :smilewide:

Anything is an improvement over their boring interiors. :spin:

It's funny how North America used to have almost an entirely rear wheel drive line up of cars for GM, now we have none - all of the other parts of the world have them. GM management is crazy if they don't bring the Chinese Buick Park Avenue over to North America for the Buick dealers here.

(Well, not "none" obviously, as Caddy is almost all rwd, but y'all know what I mean)

Edited by gmcbob

It's funny how North America used to have almost an entirely rear wheel drive line up of cars for GM, now we have none - all of the other parts of the world have them. GM management is crazy if they don't bring the Chinese Buick Park Avenue over to North America for the Buick dealers here.

(Well, not "none" obviously, as Caddy is almost all rwd, but y'all know what I mean)

clearly, there is a demand in NA for both FWD and RWD cars.

after seeing all these products China is getting and AU is getting and everywhere else...it kind of just frustrates you to the point where you want to say "-uck you GM and Ford North America". It only underscores their incompetence in keeping up with customer preferences.

Sign me up for one... (After I get my wife a Torrent GXP/Enclave CXL FWD and myself a G8 GT... Then I'd buy one... Well maybe I'd get a DTS instead that is hard!)

I will just throw this out there, if my wife and I weren't so close to our families we would definately be considering move in Aus. I am going to be a chiropractor and it is pretty mainstream there, beautiful weather and scenery, and thow in RWD Holdens and Fords and it is VERY tempting!

That interior is top-notch (seriously), and just imagine how cheap it is for GM to just make a different grille for each region! Brilliant! :AH-HA_wink:

I will just throw this out there, if my wife and I weren't so close to our families we would definately be considering move in Aus. I am going to be a chiropractor and it is pretty mainstream there, beautiful weather and scenery, and thow in RWD Holdens and Fords and it is VERY tempting!

Also the top ten of the worlds most deadly snakes live there too and come right up on your lawn! :smilewide:

Also the top ten of the worlds most deadly snakes live there too and come right up on your lawn! :smilewide:

Heck with the Snakes the Spiders will kill you first their in the house. A deadly spider is a Austrailian for home security system.

I would take any Holden interior over most of the GM NA. If you think the in side is boring have em stick a snake in the bugger.

I would love to visit down under someday. But to live there is near impossible long term for a non natural born resident or one of their children. There were very closed to outsiders on a long term the last I checked.

GM - Can it really be that hard to rebadge one of these and send them over as the next generation Park Avenue, Caprice, or ???

Come on GM bring us some of these. People's perception will definitely change away from the bland and boring Japanese utility mobiles and non-working hitech German machines.

Come on GM bring us some of these. People's perception will definitely change away from the bland and boring Japanese utility mobiles and non-working hitech German machines.

We will likely get the next generation Park Ave, along with the Impala, and DTS all from the GMNA Zeta, or Zeta 2.0.

Small price to pay to live in a country where RWD/pushrod-V8/GM cars are not a precious commodity.

We will likely get the next generation Park Ave, along with the Impala, and DTS all from the GMNA Zeta, or Zeta 2.0.

Riiight.. GM NA is probably going to milk the W- and G- bodies for another decade or so.. :(

Didn't Lutz just say any NA Zeta RWD after the Camaro is up the air?

GM RWD future thread

Edited by moltar

PATAC is going to be GM's premier design studio at this rate.

Two bullseyes for Buick!

Let's have PATAC do the design work for the entire American Buick car lineup!

They'll slaughter the import luxury cars, and at an unbeatable price.

for $45k that car would make a great Buick here. I'll give credit to griffon for saying this first, but the park ave would help establish Buick as a premium brand before the lacrosse and lucerne get here around 2010. If this came out at the beginning of next year like the G8, and if it were long wheelbase, it would make a great buick sedan for empty nesters looking at american luxury brands. Buick needs a car like this to bring some respect back to the car lineup.

What I love about its design is that how cohesively they have transformed the sedate interior of the Holdens to a silhoutte on wheels.

S class and A8 look pale in comparison.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor