Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2008 Presidential Election - NOT political, please

WOW! I happened to be working on something else and got around to some web-surfing because my "leadership ethics" chapters get boring every once in a while. Somehow, I got onto the Presidential electiong prognostications.

In a nutshell, nobody that I consider to be fairly conventional is in a front runner position. This leaves me perplexed.

On the Democratic side, Hillary is a obviously a woman and Obama is obviously of mixed race. Not only that, there are so many other contenders that no one knows how their pie will be split up.

On the Republican side, Giuliani has had an interesting personal life in terms of number of marriages and Romney from Mass. is Mormon, which as a Westerner, I did not know.

Let's leave it at that. I can't seem to find any candidate I particularly like who is real practical and middle of the road, and I don't align with either or any party. Without getting into it too much, are you satisfied with anybody that is on the slate for 2008?

I like Obama and am supporting him for '08... I've read his book, and his views seem compatible with mine. If he doesn't get the nomination, I'll support Hillary. After the disaster of the last 7 years, there is no way I could support a Republican.

Mitt Romney? Yeah, I don't want a president named after something you use to open an oven.

Seriously, Hillary has my vote. Giuliani is also one to challenge her to me. I like how people make an issue of his marriages...as if it matters.

Mitt Romney? Yeah, I don't want a president named after something you use to open an oven.

Seriously, Hillary has my vote. Giuliani is also one to challenge her to me. I like how people make an issue of his marriages...as if it matters.

An interesting auto industry factoid about Mitt Romney--he's the son of George Romney, former chairman of AMC (and Michigan governor).

An interesting auto industry factoid about Mitt Romney--he's the son of George Romney, former chairman of AMC (and Michigan governor).

Yeah, and another factoid on George - he was born in a rural area of Mexico because his parents were under scrutiny from the US for the illegal practice of polygamy, or something to that effect, though he had a conventional married life, as does Mitt.

I think Mitt's religion blew my mind as he was elected in Massachusetts which, in my mind, is as liberal as a state can get.

Yeah, and another factoid on George - he was born in a rural area of Mexico because his parents were under scrutiny from the US for the illegal practice of polygamy, or something to that effect, though he had a conventional married life, as does Mitt.

I think Mitt's religion blew my mind as he was elected in Massachusetts which, in my mind, is as liberal as a state can get.

Yes, I was amazed that a Republican Mormon could get elected in Mass. Strange times we live in.

ya, Romney hasn't really talked about the war. Though he HAS released a commercial that is very anti-Bush in its core message.

There is no way I'd vote Republican with what this country wrought on itself for the last few years. I think it's time I said told you so. That's the last I'll say it. Though if we had to go Republican, I think i'd rather it be McCain, though Guliani would be okay too. The Iraq quagmire is obviously the most difficult situation. Those that really want to pull out are making it tough to stay conservative on that issue, because just as much as them, I want my troops home to their families. Whatever the line is right now, the Dems will have to stay with support troops at the very least. We will fulfill our commitment, in the end, I think. Which sucks. At this point I'm not arguing to stay in though, if they decide to pull out, then do it, if they stay in then do that. Sounds like sex. Either way there'll be tough consequences. Hmm...doesn't sound like sex anymore.

I'll support Obama. His speeches are incredible. The words he uses speak of a deep philosophy on life and community. Americans need to be okay with being a community again, and taking care of one another, and understanding there is a deeper enemy...the spirit of discommunication and un-unity. I guess that's what they always say at every election isn't it.

ya, Romney hasn't really talked about the war. Though he HAS released a commercial that is very anti-Bush in its core message.

There is no way I'd vote Republican with what this country wrought on itself for the last few years. I think it's time I said told you so. That's the last I'll say it. Though if we had to go Republican, I think i'd rather it be McCain, though Guliani would be okay too. The Iraq quagmire is obviously the most difficult situation. Those that really want to pull out are making it tough to stay conservative on that issue, because just as much as them, I want my troops home to their families. Whatever the line is right now, the Dems will have to stay with support troops at the very least. We will fulfill our commitment, in the end, I think. Which sucks. At this point I'm not arguing to stay in though, if they decide to pull out, then do it, if they stay in then do that. Sounds like sex. Either way there'll be tough consequences. Hmm...doesn't sound like sex anymore.

I'll support Obama. His speeches are incredible. The words he uses speak of a deep philosophy on life and community. Americans need to be okay with being a community again, and taking care of one another, and understanding there is a deeper enemy...the spirit of discommunication and un-unity. I guess that's what they always say at every election isn't it.

I dunno if Obama's "spirit" is such a great thing... it's very Carter-esque.

On the Democratic side, Hillary is a obviously a woman and Obama is obviously of mixed race. Not only that, there are so many other contenders that no one knows how their pie will be split up.

I don't think Hillary's pie has been split in a long time.

There is just too much time before I begin to take this seriously.

Edited by FloydHendershot

I think it is a high time that the World's leading nation, puts a woman as their #1 citizen.

Third world countries who learned democracy from us had females taking that position way before us.

Not that I am totally for Hillary, but I think we should have a woman President who is capable of being non partisan and has decent fundamentals of what is going on in the world and our country.

When I was in India, and Sri Lanka, people used to talk about how despite being on the third world countries boasted female Prime Ministers. Heck, even Pakistan when it was a democracy and being a Muslim state had a female Prime Minister for a while.

I tend to favor oddball candidates like Dennis Kucinich. Of course he has no chance. Last presidential election I liked Howard Dean. At one time John McCain seemed like a promising candidate, but his right-wing pandering and playing to the GWB base is shameless. So much for the Straight Talk Express. Of the leading candidates, I like Obama despite his limited experience. I'd support Hillary if she got the nomination, but I don't like listening to her talk.

I tend to favor oddball candidates like Dennis Kucinich. Of course he has no chance. Last presidential election I liked Howard Dean. At one time John McCain seemed like a promising candidate, but his right-wing pandering and playing to the GWB base is shameless. So much for the Straight Talk Express. Of the leading candidates, I like Obama despite his limited experience. I'd support Hillary if she got the nomination, but I don't like listening to her talk.

Agreed. Hillary has more experience but she's far less personable.

Ditto. How does Chris Dodd look? Senator or what not from Connecticut since the early 1980s? I, too, like the other less-visible Dems more.

Obama doesn't have the track record and experience. "Hilaire" is both hard to listen to and to look at.

Edited by trinacriabob

Hmm... Well, Hilary sucks. Republicans aren't getting my vote. Obama, while decent, doesn't seem as if he has a real chance against Hilary, let alone a Republican. Who do I want to vote for? Well, no one I've read about really impresses me, but it's early. Who do I think is going to win? It's probably going to come down to Hilary or a Republican who has a brain, the brain is functional, and actually uses it, unlike Bush. Eh.

I'd like to see Fred Thompson run myself. He's the only that represents me the best. Obama is a farce and a weak canidate, Hillary is a physco, and Rudy has too many skeletons in his closet.

Yeah, that's another one of those less-visible but fairly conventional names. Again, it seems like we need to do our own research because Hillary and Obama seem to be getting press because of their "novelty" relative to the demographics of who have seen run for President since it became an institution in this country.

Oh yeah. There's Edwards.

I don't mind him. (Ann Coulter, what a pill). Oh yeah, and Fred Thompson up above. I looked him up. He's from Tennessee, law degree from Vanderbilt, relevant experience, but then this part is weird....also a "character actor" with a list of films on imdb, is married to a woman 25 years his junior on the second go around (more power to him, I guess), and has lymphoma in remission. Interesting.

Like I said, absolutely nobody "linear" like in previous elections appears to have come forth.

I like Obama, I've donated for Obama, I'm planning on doing everything I can for the Obama campaign when we get closer to primary time. That said, I have a feeling the Democratic candidate will end up being Edwards with one of the two non-conventional (Clinton or Obama) candidates as a running mate and I would have no problem voting for that ticket in the general election.

November 2008 is a long way away, but I really dont see how any Republican can win, given the political climate.

Edwards is actually a great candidate too. Obama has a huge following already, his popularity is beginning to soar. February really isn't so far away, and that's when so many states will be having the primary next year. By then, the race should be a lot more decided.

If people took the time to investigate the candidates and listen and study them, on the Dem side, I think they're actually doing a really great job.

I like Obama, I've donated for Obama, I'm planning on doing everything I can for the Obama campaign when we get closer to primary time. That said, I have a feeling the Democratic candidate will end up being Edwards with one of the two non-conventional (Clinton or Obama) candidates as a running mate and I would have no problem voting for that ticket in the general election.

November 2008 is a long way away, but I really dont see how any Republican can win, given the political climate.

Obama scored a record amount of donations--from small doners. I can't remember but I think it was like 100,000 donations came in at less than $100. What it means is he had more support from more people. Hilary counted on the bigger donations from the regular Democratic funders---whereas Obama had a real grass roots type drive. And he ended up with the second highest amount of money among all the candidates--Republican or Democrat. For someone who's only been in the Senate for two years, versus Hilary who's been in the national spotlight for one and half decades, that's saying something.