9-4x mule finally spotted!

finally some sort of picture for the 9-4x.

"Spy photographers have captured the first pictures showing a test mule for the new Saab 9-4X. Designed from the ground up as a Saab — rather than a re-badging exercise — the 2009 9-4X is a collaboration between engineers in Rüsselsheim, Germany and designers in Trollhättan, Sweden."

More at Leftlanenews.com

I see some AWD/RWD components. Anyone agree/disagree?

Guest YellowJacket894

OK is it based off the trailblazer or another box on frame platform? I would rather see the 9-4X based off an epi II platform than a truck platform.

As stated, the 9-4x is front-drive, meaning that it will not be on the GMT-360 (TrailBlazer/Envoy) platform. Also, the 360 is slowly being phased out and should be gone by 2009 or so.

That is some clever hiding they are doing. Cover up a new model/chassis in a current body that without seeing the underbody and smaller wheels/tires would appear to be nothing special. From the profile shot it appears this mule has a shorter wheelbase than 360 though they probably just needed a few more inches for the FWD powertrain, lord knows that GMT360 has quite a tall/long engine bay. But you can also see in the shot of the front wheel area that the inner wheel well is different.

but the greenhouse looks pretty 360-ish..no?

That is some clever hiding they are doing. Cover up a new model/chassis in a current body that without seeing the underbody and smaller wheels/tires would appear to be nothing special. From the profile shot it appears this mule has a shorter wheelbase than 360 though they probably just needed a few more inches for the FWD powertrain, lord knows that GMT360 has quite a tall/long engine bay. But you can also see in the shot of the front wheel area that the inner wheel well is different.

It's a test mule. It's nothing new for a company to throw the body of a current vehicle onto a new platform. It keeps the spy photographers from seeing the sheetmetal of the actual vehicle for a while.

It's quite a given that it's on a new platform anyway since there's an IRS back there.

What's this about the GMT-360 being phazed out?

Please tell me it's not being replaced by some

POS front-biased-AWD, transverse mounted V6

crapbox with a unibody chassis... :blink:

The best thing about the GMT-360s was the I6

motors. I love inline sixes.

Somebody missed the Lambda thread... :D

Edited by Captainbooyah

doesn't look bad i guess... tis' a mule i suppose

/meatwad-> that's a nice car she's washin'. think it's a straight six?

/ur->i've got a straight six.

:lol:

They handled like $h! (except the TB SS and the 9-7x )and had $h! interiors (except the 9-7x). The Lambdas are far superior to them. If someone wants to go offroad they can go buy a Hummer.

why doesn't GM just give saab a lambda for europe

like they did with the opel GT coming from the saturn sky.

just take an Acadia and give it the feel and look of a Saab and there we go.

Because that's he whole problem with Saab...being a bunch of mildly worked over GM (and Subaru) products. Saab needs a few vehicles that are at least unique to the brand.

Edited by Dodgefan

Guest YellowJacket894

The current plan is to slowly phase out the GMT-360 platform and replace it with Lambda around the time the Chevy Seneca/Lambda comes out, which should be 2009.

I think there was a rumor that there could possibly also be a GMT-355-based replacement soon. Think along the lines of the GMT-335 trucks (S-10 and Blazer, etc.).

The current plan is to slowly phase out the GMT-360 platform and replace it with Lambda around the time the Chevy Seneca/Lambda comes out, which should be 2009.

I think there was a rumor that there could possibly also be a GMT-355-based replacement soon. Think along the lines of the GMT-335 trucks (S-10 and Blazer, etc.).

Seneca? :scratchchin:

I think we will see a more mainstream derivative of GMT345 (H3). Though I don't know weather it should go under the GMC or the Chevy badge. I would like to see it under one OR the other.

Also on an off chance GM could decide that a GMT355 based SUV isn't needed with Chevy having a Theta, Lambda, and 2 GMT900 SUVs.

Perhaps it should go to GMC, afterall they are the 'professional grade' brand. That could match up well with the 'like nothing else' Hummer.

I'm already aware that the 9-4x and the upcoming Cadillac BRX are based off a heavily modified Theta platform but I thought they were going to be on the small side. I guess not from the length of the wheel base. I'm also surprised they used the Saab 9-7x body on top of that platform in what appears to be Europe(the opel gives it away in case you were wondering). You'd think GM people would try to prevent automotive photographers from noticing it with using a vehicle that is actually sold in Europe like the actual Trailblazer. A conspiracy to get people interested? Possibly. Or maybe they just don't care.

Seneca? :scratchchin:

I think we will see a more mainstream derivative of GMT345 (H3). Though I don't know weather it should go under the GMC or the Chevy badge. I would like to see it under one OR the other.

Also on an off chance GM could decide that a GMT355 based SUV isn't needed with Chevy having a Theta, Lambda, and 2 GMT900 SUVs.

Perhaps it should go to GMC, afterall they are the 'professional grade' brand. That could match up well with the 'like nothing else' Hummer.

Lambda is not replacing T360, and there is not gong to be a T355/345-based replacement. Look for something that would piss 68 off.

Because that's he whole problem with Saab...being a bunch of mildly worked over GM (and Subaru) products. Saab needs a few vehicles that are at least unique to the brand.

Yea, but I suggested Europe. I know another lambda in NA wouldn't make sense, but in Europe, it would be unique. The other GM divisions in Europe (Open and Vauxhall) wouldn't have it.

Yea, but I suggested Europe. I know another lambda in NA wouldn't make sense, but in Europe, it would be unique. The other GM divisions in Europe (Open and Vauxhall) wouldn't have it.

True but remember they don't tend to sell too many big vehicles in Europe. Not sure how well it would sell.

I dont know what the platform is, but the only thing that GM has thats anything close to this in size and has a 5 lug bolt pattern is the equinox/torrent/vue.

It's a new platform.

Theta, TE, or something else?

Probably some sort of modified and stretched TE.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiast...178.A12228.html

Saab dealers are anxious to see the new generation of products headed their way. A new 9-1, based on the Opel Astra, is coming, as is a new 9-5 sedan that will share its running gear with the next Opel Vectra. A facelifted 9-3, with all-wheel drive, arrives soon.

But it's the 9-4X crossover, due in concept form at the Frankfurt auto show this September, that has American dealers most encouraged. The 9-4X is a new crossover built from a new architecture that will also spawn a small Cadillac crossover. The Saab version, sources say, will be a sporty SUV with a lot of the Aero X look in the front, low side windows, and short overhangs.

There's no word on engines yet, but these test mules and sketch reveal a little of what will become the 9-4X. The mules are shortened versions of the existing Saab 9-7X, used as cover for the new set of mechanicals.

To me it looks like a warmed over leftover w/ a saab badge. the pr shot looks like a totally different vehicle than the one on the flatbed.The rendering looks great, the mule...................................

blech!

Edited by prototype66

There is no PR shot. Just the photoshop and the other photos of the new platform mule with a 9-7x body. The key word here is platform.

the pr shot looks like a totally different vehicle than the one on the flatbed.The RENDERING looks great.

I believe that is what I said.

From what I understand they put out PHOTOSHOPs for PR purposes.

the pr shot looks like a totally different vehicle than the one on the flatbed.The RENDERING looks great.

I believe that is what I said.

From what I understand they put out PHOTOSHOPs for PR purposes.

Leftlane News implied that they, not GM, did the illustration ("Our artist's rendering...", my emphasis).