09 Caddy CTS-V "flat out incredible"

The next-generation Cadillac CTS-V will have "a power level only described as unexpectedly high,” GM vice chairman Bob Lutz told Car and Driver. He described the vehicle as "flat-out incredible. I’ve never driven anything like that."

Based on the 2008 Cadillac CTS sedan, the new CTS-V os expected to arrive later this year as a 2009 model.

Specific details of the CTS-V's engine remain a mystery. Some sources say power will come from a 4.6-liter naturally aspirated V8, while others insist a supercharged V8 is in store for the hot CTS. Some sources even claim this car will share the "Blue Devil" Corvette's supercharged V8.

C&D says the 505 hp, 7.0-liter LS7 V8 that currently powers the Corvette is a distinct possibility, considering the previous-generation CTS-V is powered by the 400 hp 6.0-liter Corvette LS2 powerplant.

Recent spy photos have shown the 2009 CTS-V undergoing extensive testing at the Nürburgring track in Germany and elsewhere. Prototypes feature a new grille design and a massive lower air-intake — both sporting a sporty mesh finish in the familiar V-spec tradition.

Posted Image

Link: http://www.leftlanenews.com/cadillac-cts-v-future.html

I think Car & Driver is right, hopefully.

Edited by vrazzhledazzle

Listening to to that video two things stand out:

1. That doesn't sound like a Northstar start up. Northstars have a very distinct starter sound. I can always tell when a northstar is starting up without having the turn a look at the car. <same goes for honda 4cylinders and GM 3800s and various Fords>

2. the idle does NOT sound like an OHC engine. that's gotta be a pushrod under there.

Listening to to that video two things stand out:

1. That doesn't sound like a Northstar start up. Northstars have a very distinct starter sound. I can always tell when a northstar is starting up without having the turn a look at the car. <same goes for honda 4cylinders and GM 3800s and various Fords>

2. the idle does NOT sound like an OHC engine. that's gotta be a pushrod under there.

Yeah it is definitely a pushrod. The initial grumble reminds me of my friend's LS6. It does seem to have a supercharger whine, although I may be wrong.

I didn't say that, no.

I know: I was just crossing your '500hp+' post with Lutz's 'unexpected power' comment and doing some speculating. I'm thinking GM will not pass on the opportunity to outpower the M5 and M6 with both the CTS-V and the Blue Devil. Edited by ZL-1

And already he’s talking smack, warning a certain Teutonic competitor that unless the next M5 is substantially better, the CTS-V “will suck the doors off” the competition.

When a big wig from a company tells its top competitor witch makes a great handling 500 bhp sedan, that if the replacement is only slightly better its going to get its doors blown off , he is definitely got more than just a 550 bhp sedan in his back pocket. My money is on a 600+ bhp blue devil engine, since the blue devil will be low production the CTS-V this will spread the development cost of the engine. :pokeowned:

My bet is that the motor will be the LSA, a 6.2L, supercharged, small block. Looking at the pictures, you can see the bulge added to top of the hood. If it was the LS7, it would fit under the hood without the power bulge. It will be similar to the next supercharger LS9 expected in the super Vette. I've also read that the LSA in the CTS will be available with either a manual or automatic transmission.

And already he’s talking smack, warning a certain Teutonic competitor that unless the next M5 is substantially better, the CTS-V “will suck the doors off” the competition.

When a big wig from a company tells its top competitor witch makes a great handling 500 bhp sedan, that if the replacement is only slightly better its going to get its doors blown off , he is definitely got more than just a 550 bhp sedan in his back pocket. My money is on a 600+ bhp blue devil engine, since the blue devil will be low production the CTS-V this will spread the development cost of the engine. :pokeowned:

No chance of that or the LS7.

It's the LSA.

Edited by Chris_Doane