HarleyEarl

Ford Ends Production of Excursion

7 posts in this topic

Ford Ends Production of Excursion on Friday Date Posted 09-28-2005 DEARBORN, Mich. — With fuel prices soaring in the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, Ford Motor Co. will cease production of the massive Excursion SUV on Friday at the Louisville, Kentucky, truck plant. Ford had confirmed plans earlier this summer to phase out the slow-selling Excursion, which is based on the company's Super Duty pickup truck platform, after killing a proposed 2007 replacement. The Excursion was introduced in October 1999 to a hailstorm of criticism from environmentalists. The Sierra Club referred to the overweight, oversize gas guzzler — some versions weighed more than 7,500 pounds — as the "Ford Valdez," a snide reference to the Exxon oil tanker that ran aground in Alaska. By a week, the death of the Excursion follows General Motors' introduction of its redesigned full-size sport-utility vehicles, including replacements for the big Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban. GM management has been roundly criticized for launching its new SUVs with minimal improvements in fuel economy at a time when fuel supplies have been curtailed and prices have spiked. Ford was not required to submit the Excursion to the Environmental Protection Agency for fuel economy testing, because the vehicle is so heavy that it does not qualify as a "light truck." Some reviewers claimed it got single-digit fuel economy. Ford fitted the vehicle with a 44-gallon fuel tank. What this means to you: One of Detroit's most notorious gas hogs will be quietly laid to rest this Friday as the dinosaurs begin to die off (InsideLine)

Funny because it had a bigger engine than the Suburban yet couldn't tow as much. Sidenote: I was cut off by an Excursion with Texas plates whose driver thought he was awesome because he rode my ass for five miles, then swerved dangerously to cut me off so he could make the yellow light while I almost smacked into a Quest and was forced to wait. I laughed when I saw that same Excursion at a Shell station about 5 min later. 44 x $2.98 = :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Excursion was, from day one a text book example of Ford trying to one-up GM and looking like complete idiots. You should have seen the product training videos GM sent us when that ugly chunk of lead came out.

The Excursion was, from day one a text book example of Ford trying to one-up GM and looking like complete idiots. You should have seen the product training videos GM sent us when that ugly chunk of lead came out.

[post="21922"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Be sure to highlight:
*Excursion's ugliness. The Suburban is stylish in contrast.
*Excursion's chunkienss. The Suburban is smooth like a newborn baby, creamy Jiff, or Barry Manilow.
*Excursion's lead content. The Suburban is 97% lead-free. Explain how Ford products are carcenogenic and should be avoid by the elderly and pregnanat women.

[post="21922"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh, do tell, I gots to hear this.....what were the details?

Be sure to highlight:
*Excursion's ugliness. The Suburban is stylish in contrast.
*Excursion's chunkienss. The Suburban is smooth like a newborn baby, creamy Jiff, or Barry Manilow.
*Excursion's lead content. The Suburban is 97% lead-free. Explain how Ford products are carcenogenic and should be avoid by the elderly and pregnanat women.

[post="21936"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:lol:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor