Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
regfootball

EDGE TEST DRIVE

43 posts in this topic

pretty happy with my Ford Edge SE AWD test drive today. I can elaborate more tomorrow as I am barely able to stay awake right now. Here's a quick summary.

ROUNDS OF APPLAUSE- crisp and stylish form, very 'metrosexual, moving on'. an absolute jewel of a motor. New duratec 35 is a sweet piece, good power, smooth as silk, revs great and sounds wonderful. It reminds me of the SVT contour engine, and even better versions of my SHO motors. Refined drivetrain. nice shapely seats. lots of room for wide bodies or cargo. Nice steering feel. Good suspension for firm yet comfortable ride. Really just feels like a big, semi-agile sedan that's a bit taller. Ford Sync in 08. Dashboard vents are in just the right spot! Quick fold rear seats are awesome to use. Extremely rigid and solid chassis. Safety equipment abounds.

OOOOs and AHHHs--dash design actually grows on you once behind the wheel and is very funkygood. steering wheel actually is nice and fits the hand well. radio and climate controls are finally up at the proper height. fairly panoramic view out of the car considering the high belt and squat windows. really nice command seating position that's not trucky. Nice console layout. leather graining on seat bottoms and backs and contrasting stitching is attractive. Interior is a nice improvement over my 500.

GIVES ME PAUSE- transmission, while smooth in its shifting, sometimes hesitates (although not in a jerky fashion, just an occasional delay). this was likely deliberately programmed this way for mpg. A little too much tire noise in an otherwise quiet and well isolated cabin. Sparse looking door panels. Ford parts pin center stack. Wusthof looking shifter. Steering needs to be quicker even though feel is good. Should get a lower load floor out of a unibody design, even with good ground clearance (my Aztek does this). While the 265hp is certainly enough, a direct inject 300+ hp version would no doubt make it more than just zippy/strong. You better make sure those sunshades are working on a hot day. Could stand to lose a few pounds even though you really never feel the mass so much in driving it.

FATAL FLAWS- no manual control of transmission. this thing needs and begs for paddle shifters. plastic is cheap looking in places and hard to the touch and the graining is too extreme. I am sure the radio sucks. Auto climate control buttons and layout suck (the standard ones are simple and good). Needs an SVT version to take advantage of its hip look. Cheap sound when you close the doors. Does Ford have (something similar to) onstar and remote start yet (ok, maybe they do the have the remote start).

overall. i like it a lot. While it doesn't have the trimmings of a luxury car, it is really the big family sedan reinvented in crossover form and then given a big dose of funk. I got to drive this, the Outlook and Aura today. Of the three for everyday use I would drive the Edge, because its a shorter vehicle than the outlook. I like the Edge and Outlook equally. I would get an Outlook for my wife and for trips and an Edge for myself (because they don't seem to want to sell the G8 with all wheel drive). My salesguy will be letting me know when the 08's are in and perhaps Ford will offer to pull me ahead and get into one without damage. If they did, I might consider it.

this thing is a rock solid quiet cruiser at 80+ mph and you a just a throttle tap away from a nice pleasing throaty sounding wave of power when you need it.

DON'T MISS- the big ass sunroof is way cool.

Edited by regfootball

pretty happy with my Ford Edge SE AWD test drive today. I can elaborate more tomorrow as I am barely able to stay awake right now. Here's a quick summary.

ROUNDS OF APPLAUSE- crisp and stylish form, very 'metrosexual, moving on'. an absolute jewel of a motor. New duratec 35 is a sweet piece, good power, smooth as silk, revs great and sounds wonderful. It reminds me of the SVT contour engine, and even better versions of my SHO motors. Refined drivetrain. nice shapely seats. lots of room for wide bodies or cargo. Nice steering feel. Good suspension for firm yet comfortable ride. Really just feels like a big, semi-agile sedan that's a bit taller. Ford Sync in 08. Dashboard vents are in just the right spot! Quick fold rear seats are awesome to use. Extremely rigid and solid chassis. Safety equipment abounds.

OOOOs and AHHHs--dash design actually grows on you once behind the wheel and is very funkygood. steering wheel actually is nice and fits the hand well. radio and climate controls are finally up at the proper height. fairly panoramic view out of the car considering the high belt and squat windows. really nice command seating position that's not trucky. Nice console layout. leather graining on seat bottoms and backs and contrasting stitching is attractive. Interior is a nice improvement over my 500.

GIVES ME PAUSE- transmission, while smooth in its shifting, sometimes hesitates (although not in a jerky fashion, just an occasional delay). this was likely deliberately programmed this way for mpg. A little too much tire noise in an otherwise quiet and well isolated cabin. Sparse looking door panels. Ford parts pin center stack. Wusthof looking shifter. Steering needs to be quicker even though feel is good. Should get a lower load floor out of a unibody design, even with good ground clearance (my Aztek does this). While the 265hp is certainly enough, a direct inject 300+ hp version would no doubt make it more than just zippy/strong. You better make sure those sunshades are working on a hot day. Could stand to lose a few pounds even though you really never feel the mass so much in driving it.

FATAL FLAWS- no manual control of transmission. this thing needs and begs for paddle shifters. plastic is cheap looking in places and hard to the touch and the graining is too extreme. I am sure the radio sucks. Auto climate control buttons and layout suck (the standard ones are simple and good). Needs an SVT version to take advantage of its hip look. Cheap sound when you close the doors. Does Ford have (something similar to) onstar and remote start yet (ok, maybe they do the have the remote start).

overall. i like it a lot. While it doesn't have the trimmings of a luxury car, it is really the big family sedan reinvented in crossover form and then given a big dose of funk. I got to drive this, the Outlook and Aura today. Of the three for everyday use I would drive the Edge, because its a shorter vehicle than the outlook. I like the Edge and Outlook equally. I would get an Outlook for my wife and for trips and an Edge for myself (because they don't seem to want to sell the G8 with all wheel drive). My salesguy will be letting me know when the 08's are in and perhaps Ford will offer to pull me ahead and get into one without damage. If they did, I might consider it.

this thing is a rock solid quiet cruiser at 80+ mph and you a just a throttle tap away from a nice pleasing throaty sounding wave of power when you need it.

DON'T MISS- the big ass sunroof is way cool.

It looks like we both might be driving vehicles other than GM in the near future. :smilewide:

lots of great owner review comments on edmunds.com

Edited by regfootball

These really look tough when you meet one on the road. The Camry-slicer front end coming at you, then a check of the rearview mirror shows off that nice, firm butt. You just know this thing works out.

Reg, you're probably the only person who thinks this thing needs a manumatic. Would it come in handy for the aggressive driver? Sure. Is the typical person who buys an Edge an aggressive driver? Unlikely. But the Edge is pretty cool, the Lincoln version is nice as well.

Anyone who believes Ford is doomed has not looked at/driven their newer vehicles lately. (ha, ha - Driven a Ford Lately?) Most of their woes are the same as GM's: legacy, perception gap/media and piss poor marketing (Zephyr/MKZ anyone?)

Reg, you're probably the only person who thinks this thing needs a manumatic. Would it come in handy for the aggressive driver? Sure. Is the typical person who buys an Edge an aggressive driver? Unlikely. But the Edge is pretty cool, the Lincoln version is nice as well.

the mags all panned it for no manumatic and considering how much i enjoyed the manuamtic on the outlook as well and how useful it is, its nothing for them to add it really. some extra swtiches and software programming,its little things like that that people want and don't get from domestics. to exclude this in this class in 2007 is petty, lazy, and cheap. espcially considering it can be terribly useful for towing and aggressive driving. the shape of this vehicle is aggressive and the demographic is young, its an urban lifestyle vehicle, i don't understand why you would think people would not drive this aggressively. Just because it has a hatchback? that's an old stereotype. MDX RDX CX lambda, endeavor all these have manumatics

Edited by regfootball

Didn't you not like the Edge at first?

Anyway I've been seeing a ton of these on the road...I think Ford's got a great hit on it's hands.

i don't understand why you would think people would not drive this aggressively. Just because it has a hatchback? that's an old stereotype. MDX RDX CX lambda, endeavor all these have manumatics

No, because its a 4000lb+ SUV that will spend most of its time being driven 15 miles in bumper-to-bumper traffic from the house to the office. When is the last time you drove the Aztek aggressively? The Edge is basically a new, more attractive Aztek.

....but although I agree that manumatics are a waste of time and money, it gives the crappy mags something to vent their spleens about, doesn't it? The Malibu I drive has one and I got bored of it in 3 days. Now, I don't even remember its there!

I would bet that not one sale has been lost, due to the fact that no manumatic is available.

I've driven cars with, and without.................. and have yet to ever use one, and I do drive agressively. As someone who has raced, both drags, and roadracing.............. I have found that most automatics do a better job with shifting, than we could ever hope to do ourselves. In other words, they are smarter and faster than we are.

In other words, I think it is a useless doodad.

Edited by 01LightningGal

....but although I agree that manumatics are a waste of time and money, it gives the crappy mags something to vent their spleens about, doesn't it? The Malibu I drive has one and I got bored of it in 3 days. Now, I don't even remember its there!

I agree, I'm bored with mine too, it's been what a week or so?

No, because its a 4000lb+ SUV that will spend most of its time being driven 15 miles in bumper-to-bumper traffic from the house to the office. When is the last time you drove the Aztek aggressively? The Edge is basically a new, more attractive Aztek.

Still closed minded I see. what limits people from driving any car aggressively? are you an old man or something? my wife drives the hell out of our aztek. i don't drive it much. i still fail to understand why you think crossovers should be driven like 70's cadillacs? you still haven't connected the dots, have you. Crossovers are popular and booming because people want suv's that drive like agile mainstream cars, as much as they can without sacrificing some utility. people want their vehicles to have the capability to do a lot of things. cargo comfort agility power. people don't want sedans anymore but they want their crossovers to drive like them.

if you put up a fuss because you try to define who should and shouldn't get manual shifters based on your prejudices, its no wonder you don't work in product planning. the market says you get them. again, lambdas, rdx, mdx, cx's, fx, srx, all sorts of low and high buck crossovers have them. outlander has paddle shifters even now i think. i don't see you whining because the MDX has sport suspension and manual shift mode. Look at all the awards the SRX won because it was so sports sedan like. its what people want. a do it all solution. no, it doesn't do everything 100%, but that doesn't mean it has to do everything 20%.

another flaw...edge doesn't have a wiper stalk....it's...built into the turn signal stalk. that's BS and inconvenient.

Edited by regfootball

How were the brakes? All the rags bitched about long stopping distances.

I agree, I'm bored with mine too, it's been what a week or so?

Well that's 'cause it's a Grand Prix. The Edge has 50% more gears.

How were the brakes? All the rags bitched about long stopping distances.

you know, i didn't lean too hard on the brakes, but the pedal feel must have been ok, because i don't have anything to say about them. i guess in this case the stopping distances will have to account for themselves.

the 500's have crappy brake pads so maybe ford just cheaped out on the brake pads for the edge.

I'm just being realistic, how many sales do you really think Ford will lose because the Edge doesn't have a manumatic? I've actually got a car thats good for driving aggressively(i.e. not a 4000lb people mover with a fairly high center of gravity), yet I rarely do anything aggressive because I'm in traffic all the time and I tend to drive more carefully when the kid is in the car. Most aggressive move I've pulled recently was going 5th to 3rd at 60mph to get up to 80 really, really fast so I could squeeze into a hole to make my exit. Thats it, back roads don't exist anymore, they're just more roads filled with slow moving traffic. Good seats, an intuitive stereo that sounds good and offers MP3 capability (and iPod connection) and some killer cupholders are more important than the ability to paddle shift.

The Edge is cool, but I would go with a CX-7 for a two row seating crossover. CX-9, for three row seating crossover. Then again, I wouldnt buy any crossover, so it's moot. :P

The Edge is cool, but I would go with a CX-7 for a two row seating crossover. CX-9, for three row seating crossover. Then again, I wouldnt buy any crossover, so it's moot. :P

the mazda products are very good products. but the CX-7 is a bit small and only a 4 banger. I'm sold sold on the CX9 interior or exterior styling.

I'm just being realistic, how many sales do you really think Ford will lose because the Edge doesn't have a manumatic? I've actually got a car thats good for driving aggressively(i.e. not a 4000lb people mover with a fairly high center of gravity), yet I rarely do anything aggressive because I'm in traffic all the time and I tend to drive more carefully when the kid is in the car. Most aggressive move I've pulled recently was going 5th to 3rd at 60mph to get up to 80 really, really fast so I could squeeze into a hole to make my exit. Thats it, back roads don't exist anymore, they're just more roads filled with slow moving traffic. Good seats, an intuitive stereo that sounds good and offers MP3 capability (and iPod connection) and some killer cupholders are more important than the ability to paddle shift.

why limit yourself. why not have it all? the competitors have manual shift modes. again, you may not use it. but its an item others have in competing products, and people use. you're right, no one drives twisties anymore, but the way you state it implies that only people who buy sports cars appreciate things like being able to shift for themselves and having handling that feels good and as sporty. also, the towing example I cite on the Edge is by itself a great reason for manual shift mode.

people want elements of practical, sporty, functional, all in one. they may drive 5 days a week like a grampa and then on the weekend go tearing around town. the vehicle should not limit whatver mode you feel privvy too that day. this is partly why sports cars and coupes are dead basically and sedans as a whole will probably have numbered days down the road. People can't afford to drive narrowly focused vehicles. their car dollar needs to get stretched into vehicles that can do more things all at the same time. there will be a convergence of all good things into highly flexible and capable vehicles. the edge certainly is not a do all end all by any means, but look at vehicles like the MDX and SRX which get praised for awesome road manners, great power, AND lots of utility.

Edited by regfootball

the mazda products are very good products. but the CX-7 is a bit small and only a 4 banger. I'm sold sold on the CX9 interior or exterior styling.

*ahem* That 4 banger is turbocharged with 244 hp and 258 lb ft of torque. The Edge's V6 has more hp, but less torque.

*ahem* That 4 banger is turbocharged with 244 hp and 258 lb ft of torque. The Edge's V6 has more hp, but less torque.

I was gonna point that out too...

Manual control of an automatic's gears is pretty beneficial in ANY vehicle......especially an SUV.

Here in hilly southern California, it can be beneficial to lock an automatic in a lower gear when going up steep hills (to prevent hunting) or going down steep hills (to assist with engine braking.)

Plus, manual controls would help when towing......which I'm sure some people would do with a vehicle like the Edge (perfect for seadoos, etc.)

Where Ford falls down is the fact that even in the shift gate, they don't provide slots for all the lower gears.....just a "drive" position, an "overdrive off" button, and something that's termed "low." What the heck is "low?" Is it second gear? Third gear? Or even first gear?

I don't care if you give me paddles, or a manumatic + and - gate off the normal gear selector, or just give me all the gears in the normal selector (PRND4321.) Just give me the option of manually selecting the gears if I need to.

Well that's 'cause it's a Grand Prix. The Edge has 50% more gears.

:pokeowned:

Another reason the manual control is useful. on the freeway at high mph if you don't want it to go into 5th or 6th you can keep it in 4th so that when you need to kick down for passing, you don't always have to downshift. You can just surge cleanly in 4th. Ford has O/D lockout button on the shifter but judging from owining two other fords with this feature, its not of use to me. in stead of just locking out O/D its just as simple and much better to have the ability to put it in whatever gear I want it.

In the edge, if its like my 500, the "L" is simply a slot that allows more engine braking (for towing and hills etc.). Its basically useless and really is more problematic than beneficial, compared to having full manual control scenario. the shifting quality in "L" is nasty.

the outlook has the same tranny, and manual control, so really, it just comes down to ford being cheap and petty. a little extra software work and a thumb rocker or paddles on the wheel......the tranny is designed to take it. Funny how GM even knows people love manual control. Overhead cams, 6 speeds, manual control....who'd ever thought GM would acquire a clue?

Edited by regfootball

turbo lag in suv's is not cool, plus read the rag mag / inet reviews, some have complained of lack of power and torque in certain situations. the numbers might look good but in practical application for a heavier vehicle the good v6 will work more effectively more often. If the numbers look good for the turbo on the CX-7 then why not just say they should be put it in the CX-9 also? why? not enough beans. i should find a torque curve for that turbo. i bet its not as broad as the v6.

it's odd because i bet you that turbo 4 would not match the mpg this v6 will get either in this vehicle. In the CX-7 the mpg test numbers were not great. the v6 in this should yield 16-17-18 and maybe 15-17 for the mags. The turbo 4 in a 4500 lb rig like this would get less....just look at the RDX. that got 13 mpg in an even lighter vehicle.

to top it off......ford's customer base would never accept a turbo 4 in this vehicle...marketing wise.....that'd be like putting pushrods in a BMW. Or getting rid of quattros in audis. Ford tried turbo 4's int he mustang and t-bird....the t-bird it was accepted and the mustang it didn't stick. And those were small vehicles. If Ford turboed or S/Ced the 6 you'd get good customer response. Ford buyers are about cylinders and displacement first.

Because of the union and health care and pension restraints, domestics have to use the 'cheap steel' that weighs more and costs less. So their structures are heavier, which leads to the extra weight. Toyota can put expensive light steel in the camry because people will pay 5 grand more for it over a domestic.

Edited by regfootball

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room