Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Josh

GT500 'Vert Confirmed; Sport Trac Shows Off

16 posts in this topic

Posted Image

Here’s the next pony in the Ford Mustang corral, the 2007 Shelby GT500 convertible, which arrives next summer alongside its stablemate, the GT500 coupe. Set for a Detroit auto show premiere in January, the drop-top GT500 gets the same hardware as the coupe: a supercharged 5.4-liter V8 producing upward of 450 hp, making it the most powerful factory-built Mustang convertible ever. Ford says the convertible weighs in at only 150 pounds more than the coupe, and features a cloth top (vs. the vinyl top on the standard GT convertible).

Ford chose the trucky Texas State Fair to show off its 2007 Explorer Sport Trac, an all-new design that draws on the Explorer sport/utility vehicle and the F-150 pickup for styling and hardware. The do-everything vehicle, built on an extended Explorer chassis with independent rear suspension, is two inches wider and five inches longer than the previous Sport Trac. Engine options are a 4.0-liter 210-hp V6 or a 4.6-liter 292-hp V8. Sport Trac hits showrooms in early 2006.

Posted Image

WMJ: A new Camaro IS comming, it HAS to be. EDIT: a new 5th gen. RWD, V8 powered Camaro wiht a manual trans available.... Edited by Sixty8panther

Posted Image

The Sport Trac look's pretty neat. Would have been better if they stuck a little closer to the concept though. I hate how important styling cues are lost between the original concept and final production form.

grrrr.. you Ford.

Posted Image

The Sport Trac look's pretty neat. Would have been better if they stuck a little closer to the concept though. I hate how important styling cues are lost between the original concept and final production form.

grrrr.. you Ford.

[post="22095"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The concept looked amazing and this looks just ok. Grrr...

Ehh... from me, too. The Sport Trac looks just as bad as the Explorer. :puke: As for the Stang... I like the coupe. It's the only Mustang I like. The rest are ugly pieces of retro crap. Especially that boxy interior and sad upright front. Ugh... But thankfully the GT500 improves one of those.

The concept looked amazing and this looks just ok.  Grrr...

[post="22179"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The concept is pretty much what you will see when Ford releases the Adrenalin, the SVT version of the SportTrac. About the only major difference will be that the actual truck will have door handles. LOL

I love the GT500 vert, and will hopefully be able to buy one someday. I'm having a hard time understanding why anyone here would bash a relatively affordable, 450+hp, Ponycar. Is it just misdirected anger???

Yeah they took the GM route with the Sport Trac. They said this is what we can do but this what your getting. A watered down version of what could have been.

Meanwhile, GM attempts to corner the sports car market with the over priced, under steering GTO

Add a bigger rear sway bar and the GTO is no longer under-steering. And for the price, it's faster than 95% of cars on the road.

That Shelby conv. is sweet... I like the new Mustang quite a bit, despite having an old-school live rear axle...

I'm having a hard time understanding why anyone here would bash a relatively affordable, 450+hp, Ponycar. Is it just misdirected anger???

Was that directed towards me? :P

From what can see, I am the only one to come close to bashing it. Really, I don't have a problem with the GT500 coupe. It corrects the biggest beef I had with the Mustang... the front. But I'm still not a fan of retro or its ugly interior. The actual concept of the Mustang is great... but the styling just isn't to my liking.

Besides... I could get a much better looking 88 Fiero GT for much less and use all the extra money to put an LS2 in it, new tranny, upgraded suspension, brakes, and such. I'd also have alot left over for other personal mods. Then it could whoop it's ass... and be truly my style. :D B) Edited by blackviper8891

From what can see, I am the only one to come close to bashing it. Really, I don't have a problem with the GT500 coupe. It corrects the biggest beef I had with the Mustang... the front. But I'm still not a fan of retro or its ugly interior. The actual concept of the Mustang is great... but the styling just isn't to my liking.

Besides... I could get a much better looking 88 Fiero GT for much less and use all the extra money to put an LS2 in it, new tranny, upgraded suspension, brakes, and such. I'd also have alot left over for other personal mods. Then it could whoop it's ass... and be truly my style. :D B)

[post="22601"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I like the new mustang and I think it looks good, but the side REALLY needs some help, imo. It's too flat. No curves. I really like the styling though, but that's the only thing I think needs to be changed.

A few years ago if found myself Hating Ford. But now i find myself rooting for Ford and GM, the last two American car companies. I root for them because I hope that together they can beat the Japenese companies. Ford and GM suffer from the same problems, their products do not match up to the competition. The Sport Trac shows that. The concept was awseome, the production one, BORING. At least the Fusion is nice. I just hope that GM and Ford can get it together so they will become successful once again.

Besides... I could get a much better looking 88 Fiero GT for much less and use all the extra money to put an LS2 in it, new tranny, upgraded suspension, brakes, and such. I'd also have alot left over for other personal mods. Then it could whoop it's ass... and be truly my style. :D B)

[post="22601"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

And at the end of the day, you will be driving a '88 Fiero GT............ with a ton of money sunk into it.............. that you will never see again.

Believe me, I went the heavily modified route myself. I had appx $12K in receipts for my '91 Mustang GT (I did all the labor myself). The car was flawless, and not abused in any way. I was able to sell it for $1500 more than what an unmodified version sold for. Thus, I would rather buy something that does what I like.......... and make a few, minor, changes. In the end, that GT500 will retain its value better than most anything you can buy new. So you can buy it, enjoy it, and not get the complete shaft when you sell it.

And at the end of the day, you will be driving a '88 Fiero GT............ with a ton of money sunk into it.............. that you will never see again.

Believe me, I went the heavily modified route myself. I had appx $12K in receipts for my '91 Mustang GT (I did all the labor myself). The car was flawless, and not abused in any way. I was able to sell it for $1500 more than what an unmodified version sold for. Thus, I would rather buy something that does what I like.......... and make a few, minor, changes. In the end, that GT500 will retain its value better than most anything you can buy new. So you can buy it, enjoy it, and not get the complete shaft when you sell it.

Yeah, I've thought about going the modified route myself a few times in the past...not worth the effort, IMHO. I've thought about doing a variety of engine, brake, suspension etc upgrades to my '87 Mustang GT, but I'd still have an '80s car when I was done...likewise with my '96 M3.

I'd rather put my $$$ towards a turnkey performance car like a new Mustang GT or Cobra or another BMW...

Well... I'm wouldn't be worried about it retaining its value as I wouldn't plan on selling it. Besides, even if I would, I'd still take the Fiero. If you don't know why... Check out some of the threads started by me in the Lounge as well as some of the links in my sig. The commentary too. After all that, you ought to be able to figure out that I am a Fiero Fanatic. Therefore, I'd take one over anything, and I mean anything.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0