Christian Rock...ugh

So I went to a Christian rock concert tonight because a friend of mine wanted to go since he really likes the band that played. They're a local band that isn't really known outside of central Iowa. I had a couple drinks over at another friend's apartment and then went over with him to the frat where they were playing. So we're at the concert and there's probably 150-200 people there. The band starts to play its first song that sounds like it was ripped off a Rage Against the Machine album. Then they move onto the next song that sounds like something Linkin Park would play. Cut/copy/paste riffs, hoarse growling vocals, and the lead singer was jumping around stage like a circus monkey (or Fred Durst). Everyone was getting into it except for me. Then on one song, a group of 10 or so people in the front started moshing around...at a Christian concert!? And they were really getting into it...like shoving and pushing into other people. Then as soon as the song was over, the vocalist went into a 10 minute speech about the Awesome Power of God. So one minute, you have people violently shoving each other, and then the next you have hands raised in the air praising God. Anyone else see the irony? A few times during the concert they sounded more like a Death Metal band than a Christian band. I left the concert completely unimpressed while everyone else was going nuts. It is the single worst performance I have ever witnessed in my life. I don't know, Christian rock just seems really...uhh, not Christian-like. It's like they take some mainstream nu-metal song and throw in Christian lyrics...that's essentially what it is. I listen to all kinds of rock, but Christian rock is the cheesiest form of music in existence...even worse than Polka, Europop, or Disco. Oh btw, I'm Catholic, so it's not like I'm ripping on Christianity...just the music. Edited by mustang84

I think Christian Rock is simply a way to make Christianity "cool" to younger guys and make young people more religious. And like every attempt at making Christianity cool, it falls flat (for me at least). It's like that for one reason...

You simply can't be Christian and cool. Everyone knows every cool thing has some element of evil in it.

(Joking, for all you devout ones out there. ;) )

I think I'll go listen to my Korn album performed by sinners. :P

I think Christian Rock is simply a way to make Christianity "cool" to younger guys and make young people more religious. And like every attempt at making Christianity cool, it falls flat (for me at least). It's like that for one reason...

You simply can't be Christian and cool. Everyone knows every cool thing has some element of evil in it.

(Joking, for all you devout ones out there. ;) )

I think I'll go listen to my Korn album performed by sinners. :P

[post="1459"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeh, there are Jewish rock bands and they usually are just as bad. The problem is that at its very foundation, rock is supposed to be against the institution. It needs to have an edge. It needs to be just a bit dangerous.

Thus, when people are trying to reconcile religion with rock, they are stripping the music of what makes it compelling.

By the same token, rock, even if you don't think it's the "devil's music", simply is not and will never be a vehicle to extoll true, unspoiled religious virtue. I think Variance is right - religion isn't supposed to be "cool." It needs to be above "cool," and these unsuccessful attempts to make it so only bring religion down.

For these reasons, the near invariable result of marriage between rock and roll and religion is bad music that fails to get the point across.

Disclaimer: It's 3:36 AM so I can guarentee neither the relevance nor lucidity of the above rant. My sincere apology if it made no sense :D .

I think Variance is right - religion isn't supposed to be "cool." It needs to be above "cool," and these unsuccessful attempts to make it so only bring religion down.

[post="1465"][/post]

I agree...actually, has anyone here seen the movie Dogma? Remember the part where the Catholic church tries to "modernize" itself by replacing images of Jesus's crucifixion with "Buddy Christ." That is kind of like what Christian rock music is trying to do...taking Christian messages and slapping them into modern rock in order to make it "hip" to be Christian. Religion shouldn't be hip.

Posted Image

Any and all Christianity music since the beginning of time has been scary. Just listen too and sing a few "salms". the country christian bands are the same deal, cloning origional sounds with lyrics that are solely about 100% GOD is everything. Christianity has been used by man to make an excuse or to be excuseable for everything because way back before man had a brain God told somebody we were born sinners - therefore it is OK so long as we eat sleep sing and praise God - count me out ! I know whats right and what is wrong and theres alot more wrong today that the bible says is OK. Come out Virginia Dont make me wait Catholic girls start much too late Id rather die with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun So in todays world please tell me just what is a sin ? :unsure:

You think Christian rock is bad, Christian rap ain't too hot either.... Gospel is probably the only worth-a-damn Christian music out there...musically anyway.... But then, is anything as bad as reggaeton?

Yeah, I agree with the general sentiment that (to me) there's something "off" about the heavier Christian rock. I prefer the slower, more introspective worship songs, which contrast with my taste in secular music, ironically....yeah, I'm weird. But, the Christian heavy rock does have its place. It fits right in with those Christian youth groups that skateboard and participate in extreme sports and such. Basically, it provides a hook for young, lost, and very impressionable people to get into Christianity rather than drugs, violence, suicide, gangs, etc. My church has a very active youth ministry that has taken quite a few teenagers whose lives were a mess and totally turned their lives around, and this music is a big part of it.

That's a very cool picture of the '69, but are my eyes bad? Does it really say "1978" on the front license plate?

I watched the movie "Constantine" on my pc this afternoon. Very cool.
Edited by ocnblu

I believe it says 1970. A few "69" Camaros were built in 1970 and even received '70 VINs. I've read this in several books but have never been able to confirm it wiht enthusiasts. The 2nd gen. 1970 Camaro is technically a 1970+1/2.

To each his own, but that concert sounds wacked! "Jars of Clay" makes sense as far as Christian Rock goes, but some of this new stuff it's a little WTF-ish. :blink:

"Spirit In The Sky" has ot be one of the coolest driving songs of all time. I had it crankning on the radio last time I was out in Arizona and hauling a$$ donw the road in the middle of the desert. 110mph is about all that 4-cylinder Stratus would do. But I had no idea it was "Christian Rock" Spiritual or religious maybe but never really thought about it.

STRYPER just put out a new album

my wife loves contemporary Christian pop type music, but i have to force myself to keep from telling her how cheesy most of it I think is.

[post="1468"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Stryper actually isn't too bad...if I could only listen to only one band for the rest of my life and it had to be Christian rock, Stryper would be it. To Hell with the Devil is a pretty good song. I think the reason Stryper doesn't seem as ludicrous as the band I saw is because their songs are more harmonic and soaring...and they actually sing instead of scream.

I think people are just turned off by the label. Bands like P.O.D., Switchfoot, Relient K, they're on mainstream now, but they're still Christian music. Basically, i enjoy christian rock much more than other christian music. Worship stuff just doesnt do it for me, it doesnt seem original enough. Edited by w00t_man

POD to me always came off as simply a good rock group who happened to be Christians..... It's not like they're DC Talk, where the Christianity comes to the front fo the line way ahead of their musical ability.

Guest YellowJacket894
BluMan, Sixty-8, the plates read "1978." I can't remember what the hell is up with the plates, but I'm sure the story will come to me.

Doesnt that almost look like Natalie Cole ? Nice looking girl at any rate. Love the get up, thats definantly got Disco writtin all over it, its not 1970. That Camaro is so sharp, I even like the vinyl top but I grew up in the vinyl top days. Some like em some dont. My friends 69 was blue with black top, just looks right to me.

Razor: Hell yeah that's a vynil top I could learn to love! Esp. wiht the hockey stick SS stripes & interior in matching Ivory white! :wub: Hmmm... os it is 1978. That was the best selling year for Camaros.

I've never gotten into Christian Rock, but I did hear a CD by a South African Christian band called 'Benjamin's Gate' that I liked..

[post="2195"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Benjamin Gate. Yeah, i saw them in concert once...they've broken up now though. It's a shame, they were pretty good.