Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Is your computer ready for Vista, here is one way to find out

The title of this thread sounds like the begining

of a Microsoft/PC joke/Bill Gates joke.

My friend in Microsoft told me to wait till the SP1 comes in the stores.

It is terrible.

You can only do three hardware upgrades before your purchased Vista license is completely GARBAGE. Sorry, you have to buy Windows again... f--k that.

Also, Microsoft remotely controls your system over the internet - if they find any 'questionable' programs, they can delete them without your knowledge or consent! As a software developer I will NEVER switch to Vista until they remove that policy, and my company has said the same.

I upgraded my laptop to Home Premium before taking the plunge with my desktop, and so far I like it. I do prefer the way that XP handles changing desktop settings, and windows explorer is changed around a bit too. The only real big issue that I have is the damn window that pops up reminding you that you are doing something to your computer and do you want to continue? That can be turned off tho. The Widgets feature is cool and you can download a few that are real useful, but it pulls alot of system resources, so I turned it off. The one thing that I really like is Aero. Having the windows transparent looking is the same thing that I have on my desktop with my Nvidia card, and I probably would have done it anyway if it wasn't an included feature. Being able to turn the windows sideways is a cool feature, but I never use it. It's more of a novelty.

All in all, I probably wouldn't go out and pay full price for Vista, but if a new computer came with it or you could get a free upgrade like I did, I say go for it.

XP is rock-solid, and fast anyway.

Why anyone would rush out to buy a copy of Vista is beyond me. But I suppose all new computers have Vista pre-loaded...

XP rocks. I think it is the best OS microsoft came with.

only DX10 would pursuade me to upgrading, but i'd need new expensive parts for that anyway

Yeah DX 10 is awesome, but you can see the difference only in the DX10 capable games.

The best thing I did was when I went to Seattle, I grabbed copies of XP Pro at 25 bucks a piece from my friend. If I do get computers down the road, I know what operating system I am putting in.

As a 2 1/2 month owner of a Vista laptop, I can say any issues I've had with it have been mostly through some drivers and codecs not being made for Vista yet. In and of it itself, it's not a bad system.

You can only do three hardware upgrades before your purchased Vista license is completely GARBAGE. Sorry, you have to buy Windows again... f--k that.

Different hardware upgrades are weighed differently, it's not a flat number of three. For example, you'd use more "upgrade credits" (my term) replacing your processor than adding RAM.

Plus, when you reach the upgrade limit, I believe you just need to re-activate Vista not buy another copy.

Also, Microsoft remotely controls your system over the internet - if they find any 'questionable' programs, they can delete them without your knowledge or consent! As a software developer I will NEVER switch to Vista until they remove that policy, and my company has said the same.

That's just plain BS.

That's just plain BS.

No, no it's not... Here it is straight from the horse's mouth, the Vista license agreement:

Windows Defender will search your computer for “spyware,” “adware” and other potentially unwanted software. Any potentially unwanted software rated “high” or “severe,” will automatically be removed after scanning. Removing or disabling potentially unwanted software may result in:

· other software on your computer ceasing to work, or

· your breaching a license to use other software on your computer.

By using this software, it is possible that you will also remove or disable software that is not potentially unwanted software.

Yeah...I haven't had any of those problems.

Have you guys that are bashing it actually tried it for any meaningful length of time yourselves?

Installed, used it and didn't like it, switched back to XP. In fact all of us Waterloo students get a free copy. Not at all that revolutionary, I'd say. At least they did fix the annoying All Programs menu problem in XP (which made me ditch the new Start menu).

if i can't buy something new i'll likely just upgrade this near dead xp box to xp media center.

I suggest you don't upgrade that. Microsoft actually removed some features in the latest version of XP MCE.

If you have your heart set on a Mac, the MacBook Pros are great, if you have budget to spare. Just be careful of the build quality issues Apple is experiencing lately.

Yeah...I haven't had any of those problems.

Have you guys that are bashing it actually tried it for any meaningful length of time yourselves?

Wow you actually like Vista? I haven't noticed any meaningful improvements over XP, and it idles using like 800 megs of system resources.

Wow you actually like Vista? I haven't noticed any meaningful improvements over XP, and it idles using like 800 megs of system resources.

It's not perfect but it's nowhere near being the horrible OS people are making it out to be.

You want a crap OS? Try Windows Me. You'll beg to run Vista instead.

LOL. Win Me was the Turdra of OS from Microsoft. If there was recall term analogous to cars, that thing would have been recalled for ever. My first PC was assembled by a local dude (Geek) and he recommended it. GOD I hated that thing, I felt like hitting that geek every time it crashed.

And oh BTW for Ocnblu, his name was Sanjaya too. LOL.

As a 2 1/2 month owner of a Vista laptop, I can say any issues I've had with it have been mostly through some drivers and codecs not being made for Vista yet. In and of it itself, it's not a bad system.

Different hardware upgrades are weighed differently, it's not a flat number of three. For example, you'd use more "upgrade credits" (my term) replacing your processor than adding RAM.

Plus, when you reach the upgrade limit, I believe you just need to re-activate Vista not buy another copy.

That's just plain BS.

So you use up "upgrade points" if you upgrade your hardware? That's ridiculous.

It's not perfect but it's nowhere near being the horrible OS people are making it out to be.

Me is the worst OS Microsuck ever released...crashed all the time.

The best OS is 2000...followed by XP which is based off of 200 (basically a prettier version)

My only issue with XP was just the other day when my computer crashed an I had to format the HD because there was no way to get into windows. It may have been a worm or some kind of virus...I'm not sure. Otherwise XP is rock solid an has never crashed or froze on me. I have a friend who works in the idustry and warned me about the many bugs Vista had and was going to have upon release...as soon as you got it there would be updates to fix some but not all (coverup). I've tried Vista on other computers...it looks nice but so does XP with something like StyleXP. I see no reason to upgrade yet.