You ready for a V8-powered, RWD coupe from Hyundai?

Hyundai is on its way, styling knock-offs or not.

Even Lexus from Toyota has yet to find its own styling identity and still may never do so.

If I were to work for an Asian automaker (say, for styling of course) Hyundai would be my pic because there is no expectation for what a Hyundai ought to look like. That could possibly change in the next ten years, although I wouldn't hold my breath for it to happen.

Hyundai is growing readily with each successive product being leagues better than its predecessor.

Approach with Caution in dealing with Hyundai's threat to the domestics.

• 6 months later...

I have this vain hope to see Toyota crushed between the domestics and the Koreans.

Something like this helps keep that dream alive.

Um, just out of curiosity, what do you have against Toyotas? No, I am not a fan of Toyota nor any Japanese cars for I hate them as well, but I wouldn't prey to have a giant company whose doing so well to crumble. That will be a sin(well, I couldn't think of the better word, well, sue me, I wasn't born in the English speaking country anyway so). I hate Japanese due to my countries history, but I wouldn't go that far to wish for their failure.

Just wonderring.

• 5 months later...

The Hyundai Genesis Coupe could turn out to be a market beater, guys. 310 RWD hp, and 300 ft./lbs. via a naturally aspirated V-6 sounds terrific to me, especially starting at close to $25K. It's competitors will be the Solstice/Sky, 370Z, the 300 hp Stang, and perhaps a boosted MX-5.

Just 2 years ago, I could never imagine myself buying a Hyundai/Kia. But I did just that last October, buying a 2007 Rondo. I have never been more impressed with a new car purchase (and I've had over 15 of those) in my life. Quiet, refined, 20-30 mph, roomy (7 seating!), comfy, excellent fit-and-finish. Hyundai/Kia have got something good going!

I would buy the coupe without reservation, although I'd prefer a vert version.

I also own a 2007 MX-5 and a 2002 Firehawk (http://community.webshots.com/user/ithacamike).

Edited by garnermike

The Hyundai Genesis Coupe could turn out to be a market beater, guys. 310 RWD hp, and 300 ft./lbs. via a naturally aspirated V-6 sounds terrific to me, especially starting at close to $25K. It's competitors will be the Solstice/Sky, 370Z, the 300 hp Stang, and perhaps a boosted MX-5.

Just 2 years ago, I could never imagine myself buying a Hyundai/Kia. But I did just that last October, buying a 2007 Rondo. I have never been more impressed with a new car purchase (and I've had over 15 of those) in my life. Quiet, refined, 20-30 mph, roomy (7 seating!), comfy, excellent fit-and-finish. Hyundai/Kia have got something good going!

I also own a 2007 MX-5 and a 2002 Firehawk (http://community.webshots.com/user/ithacamike).

Welcome to the site!

The Hyundai coupe will likely not compete with roadsters like the Solstice/Sky, MX-5, or S2000 successor. The G37/370Z and Mustang/Camaro/Challenger will indeed be competitors though.

I am not impressed with Hyundai's interior quality. The designs are pleasing, as long as you don't actually touch or interact with any of it. The exterior designs also leave a lot to be desired, although the Tiburon has been their most acceptable and nice looking models.

Early word is that the Coupe is slated for convertible format, maybe in 2011.

If so, and as a repeated MX-5 owner, I would view the two cars as competitors, at the "fun, drop-top, performance car" level.

Edited by garnermike

If so, and as a repeated MX-5 owner, I would view the two cars as competitors, at the "fun, drop-top, performance car" level.

Isn't the new coupe supposed to be a 2+2?

A convertible? from a Hyundai? I don't know about that. Since, NEVER in their 40 years of car building, they have built any drop tops to the best of my knowledge. And since, when it comes to the convertible, It has to be taken an extra work to perfect it, since if they don't, it will turn out as the repair nightmare, as so many convertibles have done in the past. I wish them a good luck, but the segment that they have virtually no experience, nor any knowledge, I don't think it will be that easy for them to produce the convertible that lasts. Also, I think Hyundai/Kia should slow down a bit. They are rushing things too fast. I can understand that they are trying to improve their past mistakes and quality problems, but they need some time, learning the new technology first before putting them togather right away.

Well, that's my opinion. In my honest opinion, it isn't clear if the Genesis sedan and coupe will sell in the North American market. I feel that they need to build on reputations more, and get some much needed public perception change first, a bit more in order to bring in such a car.

Well, as Korean myself, I wish them luck, but they shouldn't be surpriced even if the Genesis turns out to be a failure as well, since I don't think Amercan car buyers are ready to spend 30K+ on a Hyundai, well. Yet. Just look at the Veracruz and Azera, they are doing so poorly, that you don't see that many of them on the road. Hyundai should build up more on their current products first, THEN, bring in the new bigger car.

But they are not in the same class, therefor do not directly compete with each other. As other's have said, this car competes more with the Mustang, and to a lesser extent the larger compare and Challenger.

It's a topsy-turvy world out there....

• 8 months later...

It is now January 28, 2009 and I have only seen one thus far and it was someone test driving it. I would say it seems to be a big flop. Mazzie Pontiac-GMC_Cadillac just recently built a brand new dealership for it's Hyndai line-up. A few months later they moved out of the new building and moved everything to the Mazzie Pontiac-GMC_Cadillac building. Bad timing I guess!

The Genesis Coupe turned out to be such an ungainly vehicle. That render on page 1 of this thread looks downright hot, and might actually be a Hyundai I wouldn't be embarrassed to drive. Kudos to whoever rendered it, because it makes the real thing look like... .well a Hyundai, in comparison.

hyundaigenesiscoupe_render.jpg

The person who created that render should be hired immediately. This is the amazing pile of blob Hyundai ended up releasing:

hyundaigenesiscoupe01.jpg

It is now January 28, 2009 and I have only seen one thus far and it was someone test driving it. I would say it seems to be a big flop. Mazzie Pontiac-GMC_Cadillac just recently built a brand new dealership for it's Hyndai line-up. A few months later they moved out of the new building and moved everything to the Mazzie Pontiac-GMC_Cadillac building. Bad timing I guess!

It's not even available yet, so obviously you aren't going to see any.

• 2 weeks later...

Canadian Pricing out

2.0T 6 speed - $24,495

2.0T Auto - $25,995

2.0T Premium 6 speed - $27,495

2.0T Premium auto - $28,995

2.0T GT - $30,745

3.8L 6 speed - $32,995

3.8L ZF Auto - $34,795

3.8L GT 6 speed (full load) -$34,995

3.8L GT ZF Auto - $36,795

hyundai_gen_coupe_20080924_0028.jpg

Edited by frogger

The colour/wheels/fenders/tiny front overhang are very flattering in that angle. I think its best bang for buck may be at the base trim (also would keep weight down), but I'm not sure of the suspension differences etc with it and the GT and not quite interested enough to do the research.

Moltar: I've seen many Genesis sedans, the first two being at

a dealership in New Hampshire in early October. (2008)

I agree, the big, bold grille of the black "concept render" is nicer.

That being said this thing is HAWT, esp. for a Hyundai.

Oh look, a company besides Chrysler who thinks there's a market for affordable RWD cars.

God bless the Koreans. (well the ones to the South) :globe:

I to found the "reverse beltline dip" to be ghastly at first,

but with time I've grown to like it. Some slight

similarities to the Solara are present, sadly... but mostly

it's just that whole "every modern car is pretty generic"

syndrome, for that we have the damn Japanese &

Ralph Nader to thank. <_<

I think the rendering is hot and something that I wouldn't expect from Hyundai (a good thing), but what they ended up with is something of an evolution to the current Tiburon. I still like it, but it's not to the effect that it could have been.

With that said, I think Hyundai has made huge strides in terms of their vehicles. If I wasn't so dead-set on an astra down the road as a second car, I would seriously consider a hyundai as my next vehicle. I don't mind Honda but I think their cars are way too overpriced for what you actually get, so I wouldn't consider them a contender for a future car purchase, toyota are bland overpriced appliances that aren't meant for any type of fun and spirited driving, so they are out. The only thing I like out of Nissan is their altima, maxima and rogue, but I already have a CUV in the driveway and I don't want a midsized sedan for anything. Ford isn't too bad these days, as they've upped the quality too.

Should GM survive, they have some radically different obstacles to overcome than they did, say, 10 years ago.

Not only should they offer some more cars with RWD as alot are passionate about, but in my case, they should offer more V6-equipped cars with manual transmissions, handling packages, etc. Personally, I don't necessarily think that people should be limited to buying upscale brands to get those qualities in a car.

Here's to hoping GM corrects a multitude of it's past errors and gets onto the path to recovery within the next few years.

Should GM survive, they have some radically different obstacles to overcome than they did, say, 10 years ago.

Agreed..the competition isn't sleeping, they are still moving forward..

Not only should they offer some more cars with RWD as alot are passionate about, but in my case, they should offer more V6-equipped cars with manual transmissions, handling packages, etc. Personally, I don't necessarily think that people should be limited to buying upscale brands to get those qualities in a car.

Unfortunately, I don't see GM doing that..I see them sticking with the vanilla FWD V6 automatics that have been their main focus in cars for the last 25+ years..

• 4 months later...
so why didn't hyundai stick the v8 in the genesis coupe? i love the looks and the price but the v6 is still too underpowered for my tastes

They knew it would get its ass kicked by the Camaro SS, Challenger R/T, and Mustang GT. :P

Edited by gm4life

so why didn't hyundai stick the v8 in the genesis coupe? i love the looks and the price but the v6 is still too underpowered for my tastes

As they stated, despite the same guts underneath, the coupe's smaller size and tighter engine compartment were not a natural fit, size wise, for the V8. Not that it's a big honking monster, but still, that was what was said a little while back. I'm sure it still would, but it probably is at the limit. And for their purposes of price, performance, and otherwise, they felt a turbo 4-cyl and a big V6 would best serve a coupe like this.