Cobalt SS ( Cancelled )

Yeah, the supercharged version might be ended, but watch for a more powerful, more efficient turbocharged variant. I've got five bucks to say it's going to blow the doors off the supercharged one.

http://www.automochatter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=985

This is a continuation of this thread http://www.automochatter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=956, regarding the "deletion" of the Cobalt SS S/C from Chevy's 2008 model line up.

Perhaps we should consider the dealer guide as a work in progress, since it appears that a new and improved Cobalt SS is already in the pipeline - with a new motor. Word on the street was that Chevy didn't want to pay to certify the 2.0 S/C motor for '08, since it's replacement engine is coming next April. This is officially denied by Chevrolet, but it sounds very plausible.

The new Cobalt SS motor, according to sources, is a DI turbo 2.0L - similar to the one found in the Kappa cars. Although Chevy isn't talking power figures - we've heard 230, 260 and even up to 300. We'll see.

So, what do you do if you still want a Cobalt SS S/C and don't want to wait until next year for the turbo? Chevy is cleverly going to build up stockpiles of '07 Cobalt SS S/C cars, so supplies will hopefully last until the '09 Cobalt SS, (still even might be a late intro '08 model, that's undecided yet) is realeased.

The normally aspirated 2.4L Cobalt SS dies for good after '07. It will be renamed Cobalt Sport, removing any future confusion about which Cobalt SS you own.

Gotta run.....

Edited by Chazman

Good, like I've said 48,551,946 times before: Turbos > Superhargers.

The Caliber SRT-4 will have 300 hp and FWD.

300 horsepower is way too much in a big, heavy FWD Cadillac like my STS.

In a econo-hatchback like a Caliber it's just retarded.

You Sir, are a smartass. :spin:

Good, like I've said 48,551,946 times before: Turbos > Superhargers.

300 horsepower is way too much in a big, heavy FWD Cadillac like my STS.

In a econo-hatchback like a Caliber it's just retarded.

Moe than about 225 hp in a fwd compact and it very quickly gets very "ohhh, sh—!!!", as ably demonstrated by the Astra OPC and Mazdaspeed3.

No Sir, I was just giving you some statistics. You can "spin" them however you want to.

68 is counting all his post on the old board, and all the other boards he's posted, and every other conversation he's had. If he's been saying for 20 years though, it's nearly 5 times a minute.

68 is counting all his post on the old board, and all the other boards he's posted, and every other conversation he's had. If he's been saying for 20 years though, it's nearly 5 times a minute.

Man which means he talks about it even while he is sleeping.

LOL :P

Hell, 252hp + a couple from intake gain in my 3600lb GTP makes for some hellish torque steer sometimes. I hope they aim for around 240 and then focus on improving handling, rather than join the compact horsepower war that Dodge likes to have with itself.

The normally aspirated 2.4L Cobalt SS dies for good after '07. It will be renamed Cobalt Sport, removing any future confusion about which Cobalt SS you own.

THANK YOU - FINALLY! I still can't understand why they'd dillute the reputation of the SS by calling the 2.4L model the same thing. The 2.4 is good, and deserves a seperate designation, but not SS. On the same token, the 2.4L Ion with the sport appearance package (a.k.a. redline lookalike package) is also stupid.

The drivetrain in the HHR is coming to the Cobalt and has been in the works for a while. Settlemire on Z28C has said good thing come to those who wait.

260 HP engine is going into wider use and it has been said in the past that a 300 HP was in the future/ They have already shown streetable 320 in the Kappas.

It won't tear the car appart but like most of ther FWD with high HP it is not a comfortable car at the limit without electric counter measures.

It is time to realize that 250 HP is fast becoming the norm for many FWD coupes and Sedans. 300 HP is the next level and we are now just seeing that even at GM in the W bodies.

We will see more in the future out of the V6 engines and power we once only thought you could get with V8's Superchargers and Turbos from NA engines. Don't be suprised if they find their way into the Zeta line if gas keeps high as it will add to their milage and keep sales up with good performance.

As for the Cobalt RS lets just really kill it and call it a Z24.

It is time to realize that 250 HP is fast becoming the norm for many FWD coupes and Sedans. 300 HP is the next level and we are now just seeing that even at GM in the W bodies.

I hope you meant sporty and upper trim FWD coupes and sedans. I would be really worried and want to retrofit side airbags in my car if the average housewives' Corolla CE or Cobalt LS have 250hp. :P Edited by ToniCipriani

300 hp in FWD Cobalt is pushing it. It probably will be only good for drag strip, handling on twisties will be a BIH.

I think it is reasonable for better handling 260 hp Cobalt. Mazda has done it in the 3, why cannot Chevy do it? Cobalt SS supercharged already has GM accessory parts which push it to 235hp, so another 25hp boost does not seem unreasonable to me.

I actually think for a couple stupid reasons I'd prefer the supercharged version...

1... Every idiot bolts a turbo onto his 4-banger. Usually when FINALLY he realises his VTEC sticker just doesn't cut it.

2... I love the 'whine' that comes from superchargers.

How about "Cobalt RS"?

Isn't that what I said a while back?

The only thing I worry about with using a turbo is how hot the car going to run and how hard it will be to mod.:thumbsup:

You've gotta be kidding. Turbo cars are probably the most no-brainer cars to modify. You can add boost control, a fuel computer, as wide open an exhaust as you like, wastegate, a different turbo, different intercooler and more, and still leave the engine itself bone-stock. Edited by LosAngeles

I actually think for a couple stupid reasons I'd prefer the supercharged version...

1... Every idiot bolts a turbo onto his 4-banger. Usually when FINALLY he realises his VTEC sticker just doesn't cut it.

2... I love the 'whine' that comes from superchargers.

I agree with the whine, but turbos can be more fun. :AH-HA_wink:

No Sir, I was just giving you some statistics. You can "spin" them however you want to.

Sixty8Panther does NOT work for toytota P.R. and thus does not spin anything...other than the rear tires on the 59 Buick.

Chris

I agree with the whine, but turbos can be more fun. :AH-HA_wink:

Ditto on the tubo thing. Word on the street is that the Mini Cooper is MUCH faster with the turbo than the supercharger.

Hopefully the same thing happens to the Cobalt.

Chris

300 sounds rather impossible. It'll rip that chassis into pieces.

There are already several modded supercharged Cobalts that are approching that power level to the wheels . Chevy did their homework on the chassis , torque steer is pretty non-existent .....our one big problem is wheel hop . Thats easily correctable with uretane engine and trans mounts and torque brace . If chevy ends up close to 300 , I would hope they'd make the limited slip diff standard and choose a better stock summer tire than the Pirelli Rosso's . 300hp and a open difff would just not work well at all :D

It looks like the SS may have a 5 speed auto as an option too , via the HHR SS . I know alot of people who didnt buy a supercharged SS because they couldnt get a auto . For me , bring on that 6 gear ....and auto would destroy the personality of this car .

there are performance packages available for the Cobalt SC/SS, and even possibly the 2.4 SS that can push power near the 400-mark. The Stage 3 SC's for the SS/SC can push power up to 240, so imagine what'd happen if it was attached to a 2.4?

What I'd like to see though, just for $h!s and giggles, is someboy shoehorning an LS4 into the engine bay. Impossible, perhaps, but one can dream.

I just want to SEE the MCE Cobalt.

I was just thinking about that yesterday.

The Cobalt is a great car in search of a couple of line changes that make it a timeless keeper.

What I would do:

-Move the top edge of the taillights down.

-5-lug wheels standard across the board

-Sharper standard front and rear spoliers (the rounded current ones look too flimsy)

-Two tone interiors (to take the basic-ness out of it)

Leave the headlights and stuff like that alone. Don't make it look too different from the original. And only two years before an all-new Delta car, please, GM (with AWD, dammit!).

there are performance packages available for the Cobalt SC/SS, and even possibly the 2.4 SS that can push power near the 400-mark. The Stage 3 SC's for the SS/SC can push power up to 240, so imagine what'd happen if it was attached to a 2.4?

What I'd like to see though, just for $h!s and giggles, is someboy shoehorning an LS4 into the engine bay. Impossible, perhaps, but one can dream.

Actually in real cars , GM's stage 2 kits makes more than 240 to the wheels . 210-220hp / 190-200 lb/ft are common stock power #'s to the wheels . GM underrated the LSj so much in the SS and Redline , so when the ratings for the staged kits came out it seemed like they based their power gain off the false factory 205/200 rating . Hell I dunno :lol:

I honestly dont think the 2.0T SS will be thaaaaaaat much faster than the SC car in stock form . Given the fact the 2.0t is not underrated and the average real world hp at the crank for the SC SS's and Redlines were realistically 250-260 hp ( GM claims a 17% driveline loss on the SS ) . I know they are upping the strength of the Axles , but I bet there will still be rather intrusive torque management program to control wheel spin and wheel hop .

Edited by silverss/sc

• 1 month later...

300hp is not too much if done correctly. i haven't driven an SS with the quaife, but i had a quaife in my GP. very little torque steer despite mid-12 second power, less even, than my stock aura and far superior exiting of corners. higher durometer bushings will help with wheelhop and control arm deflection.

since the weight difference between the two engines is marginal, handling will not be drastically affected.