551 Zeta Delayed

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 months is a long time... but if this si true it will be worth the wait I'm sure.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily false (I cannot confirm/rebut it) but considering a 12 month delay would not be June 2010, it makes me take this with a grain of salt.

If launch/production was due to begin June 2009 how is June 2010 not correct. Regardless of when you think it was suppose to come it has been delayed until June 2010!

Hmmm..so 3 more model years of the current Impala, eh? (they will probably keep it around for a year or two after the RWD model debuts as the 'Impala Classic' for Avis).

Edited by moltar

GM, tripping all over themselves, taking forever to make a simple sandwich.

this is getting so laughable it's not even funny. if they are using the $$$ to rush the volt to production, ok, but this just reeks of typical really bad management.

Edited by regfootball

...they will probably keep it around for a year or two after the RWD model debuts as the 'Impala Classic' for Avis.

Doubtful, as the W body will be put to rest when the Flex-plant is up and running at Oshawa.

Doubtful, as the W body will be put to rest when the Flex-plant is up and running at Oshawa.

The W body is scheduled to run until 2011 for fleet. the production # are to decrease each year bit by bit. They may not be dropping as much as was expected however with this decision.

Possibly some adjustments are being made to the program.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../705030373/1148

Maybe.

What I don't get is why we never heard anything about GM developing a modular RWD/AWD platform like Audi's new platform (I know the Audi is FWD/AWD, but it has longitudinally mounted engines like RWD cars). The Audi platform will underpin everythin from the A4 to the A8, and the idea might be attratcive from a cost of development and component sharing perspective...

Is there any word on any MCE in the Impala line between now and the new SOP?

The two mode could really enhance the sales of the Impy until then. Some more dramatic sheet metal wouldn't hurt either.

Keep in mind people that the new Malibu is coming and it's growing in size. I would expect the new Malibu to take over the Impala's sales Altima style. Impala could be trimmed back to Impala Classic and sold to Avis for a year or two before the Zeta comes.

With the new, larger than before Malibu on the lot, why would you want a W-body with lesser hardware?

Jesus Christ. The W-body needs to die already.

It's been obsolete since the last gen. Commodore

and should have been thrown in the dust bin while

WE should be making just as much RWD product

as Australia but instead we have more & more &

MORE craptastic FWD-ers.

Zeta can NOT come fast enough.

Wow, give them a break. This isn't a linear business and plans need to change sometimes. Extending the current Impala with an MCE in the middle will put it on about a normal cycle anyways. Yes, GM could really use the Zeta Impala, but it's better to wait a year and get it right than to make band aids to get it here earlier.

I know there are a number of things that could have caused this, but here's my speculation. All of the RWD delay stuff came about when the details of Bush's fuel efficiency bill came out. As I've mentioned before, the RWD setup of Zeta will allow for an easier application of dual-stage hybrid (it's a RWD hybrid transmission). If GM had plans for a dual-stage Impala, they would likely debut it about a year after the initial introduction. However, with the new fuel rules, they may need the hybrid version at initial launch to help the Impala line meet standards.

I also like the thought about diverting funds to the Volt. That would make sense too.

Pure speculation, but I think it makes sense.

O.K. let me try and explain a few things. First someone mentioned that Fall was the SOP date not June. That is correct. When I say June I am talking earliest when buildups begin. The actual full launch date is/was Sept. 09, That has now been moved to Sept. 10. With no official word as to why (not many people have actually been informed as of yet period) the only thing being mentioned is that it could be political posturing with the union and governments. Both the US and Canadian governments have recently outlined plans that could negatively impact this type of vehicle program. So while that has been the decision made, there is enough time for further alterations if the issues are cleared up. It could also be that they legitamately need the extra time due to changing regulations. Either way, the announced date is now Fall 2010(June 2010 when things will get going). Again there is time for things to change again with time frames as it is a while away (hopefully).

Can someone please explain how vehicles built in Canada affect the CAFE rating. Am I wrong but I thought it only encompassed cars built in the US.

So now we can watch the current Impala/GP and LaCrosse wither for a year longer as GM will just keep decontenting them and shuffling colors/options around while the world passes by and Toyota keeps growing.

True enough...it will be up to the Malibu, G6 and Aura to compete with the big 3 (Toyota, Nissan, Honda) and keep GM out of complete irrelevance with the mainstream sedan buyers...

Edited by moltar

Maybe.

What I don't get is why we never heard anything about GM developing a modular RWD/AWD platform like Audi's new platform (I know the Audi is FWD/AWD, but it has longitudinally mounted engines like RWD cars). The Audi platform will underpin everythin from the A4 to the A8, and the idea might be attratcive from a cost of development and component sharing perspective...

Zeta and Sigma are both modular RWD/AWD platforms.

GM, tripping all over themselves, taking forever to make a simple sandwich.

this is getting so laughable it's not even funny. if they are using the $$$ to rush the volt to production, ok, but this just reeks of typical really bad management.

+1....

GM needs to get Chevrolet in line, and fast...

No MCE Cobalt yet, a delayed malibu, now a delayed Impala.... By the time the RWD Impala hits the market, the name will be so tarnished that it'll be irrelevant.

C'mon GM! You have other brands besides Saturn.... Chevrolet & Cadillac especially are now starting to show a lack of direction

And as far as GM becoming irrelevant to mainstream sedan buyers.... that happened about 3 years ago. Now GM must fight to get BACK INTO the minds of consumers.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Yeah... it's frustrating to see GM drop RWD sedans in 1996 like

they were yesterday's newspaper, then spend a decade giving

us millions of SUVs and DOZENS of models of FWD cars... and

just when there's light at the end of the tunnel there's a cave in.

Can someone please explain how vehicles built in Canada affect the CAFE rating. Am I wrong but I thought it only encompassed cars built in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_Ave...omy#Calculation

For the purposes of CAFE, a manufacturer's car output is divided into a domestic fleet (vehicles with more than 75% U.S., Canadian or (after the passage of NAFTA) Mexican content) and a foreign fleet (everything else).

So now we can watch the current Impala/GP and LaCrosse wither for a year longer as GM will just keep decontenting them and shuffling colors/options around while the world passes by and Toyota keeps growing.

The GP is still done in November. The Lacrosse/allure is still slated to end in 09 but who knows, that may depend on EPII timing.

SANDLES:

You are making very direct and confident statements, but you have offered nothing in return to support your assertions. Please try, in an indirect way of course, to tell us where you work or your connections.

From my sources, this "delay" has more to do with a) the unions, b) the competition, and c) some minor product shifts.

The GP is still done in November. The Lacrosse/allure is still slated to end in 09 but who knows, that may depend on EPII timing.

Does that mean they stop taking orders for GP in November or they stop building in November? I mean, there's a 2008 ordering guide out there. How short of a formal model year will that be?

Does that mean they stop taking orders for GP in November or they stop building in November? I mean, there's a 2008 ordering guide out there. How short of a formal model year will that be?

Yup...So do not put too much into what has been said. ;)