DODGE MAGNUM SXT

Well, my CV axle boot was torn on my 500 (not sure why) but they scheduled the service but didn't have the part. So, I got a loaner for a day. Enterprise dude picked me up in a Mazda6 but I made sure to do anything in my power to not get that steaming pile of turd hot carl to take home. So I asked and got the Magnum. I could have got a Grand Prix (should have) and the damn Kia Sedona got back in the lot just as I signed the papers :( Anyways, I'll try and sum it up tomorrow after I turn it in. It's a 4 speed v6. I'm gonna read Bob's 300 review too and see if there are any similarities.

One thing I can say with certainly is that the interior is ABYSMAL. Terrible. God awful bad. More later. Aside from the disastrous interior, it's kind of a fun car. A heavy portly slug of a car, but kinda fun nonetheless. Nothing I would buy, because the interior is so brutally bad.

Edited by regfootball

LOUD APPLAUSE- Bold American format (large rear wheel drive car), all wheel drive option, Smooth and peppy v6 engine, Good ride, handling, braking, steering and suspension, lots of passenger room, especially the back seat. wide seats shaped nicely and comfy and firm. Vaultlike chassis construction. Great car for trips. Extroverted styling.. if you want it. Hemi and SRT options. Car is unique and unmistakable.

OOHS AND AAHS- mp3 input jack, excellent rear hatch design, good value for the dollar. Gauges look neat at night. Hubcaps look alright, for hubcaps. Can get the steering wheel in the right spot on your lap.

GIVES ME PAUSE- Cargo hold is a lot smaller than you would like to think a car this large and portly should have. Four speed automatic with manual mode would be much more pleasing and functional if it were a 6 speed unit and had paddle shifters. Lack of steering wheel radio controls. Would like quicker steering ratio. Gauges have never been this close to the steering wheel before. Key location on dash not handy. Door lock controls on door are clumsy. Key fob looks cheap. Mp3 plug input location not handy. Gangster/macho/same flavor as a cladded Pontiac monster styling. Extroverted styling attracts cops.

FATAL FLAWS- Pancake roofline allows plenty of headroom but the view out of the bathtub with its high sills is extremely claustrophobic, abysmal interior plastics, dull, dated, blocky interior shapes and design, turn signal / wiper and cruise control stalks could not be in worse layout, steering wheel is too big, bad interior build quality (including rattles from the speakers and plastic trim), morbid seat cloth, any color you want as long as you like black, is about 5% too big and weighs about 500 pounds too much. Wheelbase is about 4-6” too long. They should have shaved that amount of length from the length of the hood. Bad cupholders. Did I mention the nasty cheap interior? People will need therapy after sitting in this dark tomb for the length of their payment book. Ever sit in a garbage can?

I am very on the fence about this car. I am impressed by the way it behaves itself on the road and some of it's passenger virtues. However, the package it is in has no class and little sense of civility and is really just too in your face crude. To top it off the whole car needs a diet and should be about 5% dimensionally smaller to help it feel nimbler.

This is what some folks will undoubtedly like about it. DCX really ought to tone the 'Hair of the Dog' schtick down and focus on making this vehicle more appealing to those besides the burnout bunch. I've driven the SRT8 300 and Magnum and find them fun, but not something that would be appealing every day. The v6 Magnum still is not refined enough to be on the wanted list, which is sad because it has so many of the basic virtues down pat.

This car is like the guy with the bad disco perm, hairy chest and gold chain. It's just too much. And it feels downright cheap. I could conceivably like a version of this car (the 300 perhaps) with less 'gangsta', less claustrophia, less weight, a sunroof to lighten the cabin, and an actual interior that doesn't incite 'yuck' comments.

I bet the G8 would be what i want.

Edited by regfootball

I agree withe the blocky shapes...I have never been much of a fan of the Magnum/Charger interior design. The materials themselves were fine to me...soft dash, armrests (all of them) and upper door panels. The lid for the center console however, seemed cheap and flexed when the lid was all the way open. However on models with the DVD player, it is much better. It's reinforced, doesn't flex, and locks in the up position. The knobs could be a bit better...like rubberized like that of the Avenger. Steering wheel is too big I think, and the cruise control his very weird, so is the location of the turn signal stock.

That being said, the materials are supposed to be upgraded for `08...and judging by the pictures they look better. The SXT also got a 5-speed automatic with the 3.5L in late `06...which no doubt makes the experiences better.

Dimensionally, I wouldn't change a thing.

Edited by Dodgefan

What year is it? About the same time that they made the MP3 jack standard, they also started putting the 5-speed auto in the 3.5L's. In fact, I think you said it had a manual mode.....so it has to be the 5-speed.

I don't understand why you think it weighs too much, and is too big. What are you comparing it to? If it was smaller, then it wouldn't be a "full size" vehicle. It only weighs 200 lbs more than your 500, and it's a wagon. In a MT comparison of other "family wagons", it had the fastest slalom speed, and was right on par in the figure 8 test: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/wagon/...gons/specs.html

What year is it? About the same time that they made the MP3 jack standard, they also started putting the 5-speed auto in the 3.5L's. In fact, I think you said it had a manual mode.....so it has to be the 5-speed.

I don't understand why you think it weighs too much, and is too big. What are you comparing it to? If it was smaller, then it wouldn't be a "full size" vehicle. It only weighs 200 lbs more than your 500, and it's a wagon. In a MT comparison of other "family wagons", it had the fastest slalom speed, and was right on par in the figure 8 test: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/wagon/...gons/specs.html

He said he wishes it had manual mode.

He said he wishes it had manual mode.

I think he actually said that it has a manual mode, but wishes it was a 6-speed with paddle shifters. (and I wish the RGX body spray girl really wanted to smell me from "right here"):

Four speed automatic with manual mode would be much more pleasing and functional if it were a 6 speed unit and had paddle shifters.

the 2006 ford FWD 500 as listed on myford500.com is 3643 pounds. Dodge.com lists the RWD SXT as 3896 pounds. So ok, you're right, the weight diff isn't 500 pounds, its 250 pounds.......(over 6% of 4000) but man it sure feels like its at least 500 pounds heavier. Its a wagon, but it lacks cargo room, so that extra size does nothing. The 500's trunk is just as big. The magnum does drive better and feels more solid and roadworthy, sure. I defintely can say that. But it feels too big, and it's wheelbase is too long. They should shorten the engine bay about 6 inches and it would have no effect on the rear or front seat space. The v6 don't need the wasteful space of the hemi. Conversely, GM can shoehorn a nice v8 in the shorter G8. Then the car wouldn't feel so damn big and would react to steering inputs quicker. it was only a 4 speed because that's all the higher the manual mode went to. I could not shift up from 4 to 5 and the car did not shift itself up after 4 either.

dodgefan, it had a manual mode. Manual modes with 6 speeds like on the Aura are fun because you have a lot of range of gears to work with. On 4 speed cars, you never use 1 except to get away from a light. You don't drive aggressively in top gear, so you are left with only 2 gears to shift back and forth from. On a 6 speed, you get at least 4 gears for aggressive drving around town. So the manual becomes more useful with the 6 speed.

the v6 was nice, peppy, but i think the car could be even more fun with another 50 horsepower. No need for a Hemi.

i gotta tell ya, like I said, I am on the fence about this car. Its maddening. It rides and drives nice. Its just got a nasty interior and is majorly claustrophobic. All the cheapness. And the boy racer styling, meh. Enough to take a fundamentally nice car and turn it into something uncompelling.

Edited by regfootball

I can't agree with you about the styling, Reg- it's clean and aggresive at the same time- a nice combo. That 'pancake' roof also really ups the sporty factor; otherwise it could get visually ungainly quick. The nicest-looking wagon available, IMO; not 'over-the-top' at all.

I can't agree with you about the styling, Reg- it's clean and aggressive at the same time- a nice combo. That 'pancake' roof also really ups the sporty factor; otherwise it could get visually ungainly quick. The nicest-looking wagon available, IMO; not 'over-the-top' at all.

x1

Edited by Dodgefan

I can't agree with you about the styling, Reg- it's clean and aggresive at the same time- a nice combo. That 'pancake' roof also really ups the sporty factor; otherwise it could get visually ungainly quick. The nicest-looking wagon available, IMO; not 'over-the-top' at all.

sure, it's clean and aggressive

and it's the main contributor along with darkness of death plastic to a claustrophobic interior.

styling is nice, but if it detracts from the rest of the car, it's not worth it.

Edited by regfootball

sure, it's clean and aggressive

and it's the main contributor along with darkness of death plastic to a claustrophobic interior.

styling is nice, but if it detracts from the rest of the car, it's not worth it.

So let's have a bland vehicle instead! No thanks. Go buy the E-Class or a Subaru :P

let's put it this way. sure it's aggressive. but that red magnum looked awfully at home last night in my garage parked to my red aztek. they looked like two peas in a pod. almost like blood relatives. one was just longer and shorter than the other.

Edited by regfootball

let's put it this way. sure it's aggressive. but that red magnum looked awfully at home last night in my garage parked to my red aztek. they looked like two peas in a pod. almost like blood relatives. one was just longer and shorter than the other.

Accept for one critical difference...well several....but mainly...the Magnum isn't a hideous crime against humanity.

it was only a 4 speed because that's all the higher the manual mode went to. I could not shift up from 4 to 5 and the car did not shift itself up after 4 either.

dodgefan, it had a manual mode. Manual modes with 6 speeds like on the Aura are fun because you have a lot of range of gears to work with. On 4 speed cars, you never use 1 except to get away from a light. You don't drive aggressively in top gear, so you are left with only 2 gears to shift back and forth from. On a 6 speed, you get at least 4 gears for aggressive drving around town. So the manual becomes more useful with the 6 speed.

I don't know what to tell you. I have a 2005 300 Touring, so I only have a 4-speed, and it doesn't have a manual mode....and I haven't driven my sister's 2006 300 Touring enough to get past 3rd gear with the auto-stick.

From Allpar.com:

In 2005, the 3.5 was coupled to Chrysler's own four-speed automatic on rear-drive models, and to the Mercedes five-speed automatic on all-wheel-drive models. On 2006 model-year cars, all 3.5-equipped vehicles come with the five-speed, leaving just the base 2.7-liter models with the four-speed (ironically, these are the models that most need the extra gear and efficiency).

Enterprise dude picked me up in a Mazda6 but I made sure to do anything in my power to not get that steaming pile of turd hot carl to take home.

:huh:

Agreed. It's my favorite LX car despite being a wagon. The Charger is just decent while the 300 is horrid.

I think it's cool that the R/T Performance Pack from the Charger is now available now for the Magnum.

The interior gets better materials for `08..but I don't think they're bad to begin with...stop feeling up your dashes like you're gonna have crazy monkey sex with it and do what you're supposed to do with a car: drive.

Sorry you weren't able to rent the Kia Reg, I know you were really hoping to get it. :P

Edited by Dodgefan

Aside from the bad interior (which I could never live with), I think the Magnum is pretty cool.

Yup. exactly. This is why Chrysler is at 50% fleet. I like the car, the way it drives. Spacious, comfy, decent value. It's just the nasty cheap and dark interior and mailslot windows is so repulsive, the bad stuff stands out more than the good. Fix a few things, give me some windows, raise the roof a bit, make it feel less like its pulling a sled behind it, and I could see having a magnum in my garage. Nah, it looks like I am thinking of a G8!

it was either here or GMI i saw someone had posted some cellphone pics of a bright red G8 prototype just this week. It had the new pontiac logo in silver and the grille had been cleaned up. Now that's a sweet car. I hump the desk thinking about it.

DCX is where Pontiac was during the cladding years to many people. Just....over the top boy racer tacky. The designs and interiors of most of the Chryslers have zero appeal to women, also, which may be accounting for some a lot of their downfall lately. They are putting all their eggs into one style basket. Boy racer and gangsta guys. And that market is very limitied and already looks to have been tapped out. Where is my Chinese Park Avenue?

Edited by regfootball

:huh:

Agreed. It's my favorite LX car despite being a wagon. The Charger is just decent while the 300 is horrid.

gray mazda 6, horrible gray plastic interior, mouse fur seats.

Mazda6 is better in other color combos. This one was definte yuck. I couldn't stand to be in it.

I thought I was crazy about interiors but I guess not. The Magnum my family had as a rental over the summer in FL was mid-level and everyone loved it. The interior was fine for the price/equipment/car class. Performance was more than adequate with the 4-speed auto (I believe...it may have been a 5-speed) and 250HP engine. The German tourists we passed in the parking lot as we were walking into a store couldn't get enough of it. Unfortunately, I couldn't understand what they were saying.

In fact, we liked it so much when my dad's Alitma lease is up by August (no sure of the exact date) the Magnum will be priced at the local dealer. I think it's a great all-around car.

my biggest magnum beefs are the front end styling, the greenhouse styling, the rear quarter styling, and the back end styling. The G8 is far cooler, inside and out, and doesn't try to be a 4 door version of an old muscle car. Too bad the G8 is not here yet.

Edited by regfootball

my biggest magnum beefs are the front end styling, the greenhouse styling, the rear quarter styling, and the back end styling. The G8 is far cooler, inside and out, and doesn't try to be a 4 door version of an old muscle car. Too bad the G8 is not here yet.

Why not just say the whole exterior?

I love the styling and wouldn't change much at all. I love the G8 but for different styling reasons...both rock.

well, should the magnum just be another wanna-be volvo station wagon?

well, should the magnum just be another wanna-be volvo station wagon?

wait, sorry, I meant charger.

I like the looks of the magnum mostly. it's done alright for a wagon. my big magnum beefs are interiors related.

its the charger that is offensive to my eyes.

We all know the Magnum was just a knock off of this, anyways,

Posted Image

Posted Image

it's just too bad that if they were gonna copy it that it didn't have the airy greenhouse of the Audi.

Edited by regfootball

Thats my biggest beef with the rather bland looking G8. Yes it does have a better interior. But exterior wise, the Charger/Magnum have it all over the nondescript looking G8. And they have AWD available, the Magnum wagon and a broader selection of models and engines to choose from. And they aren't going to be produced in limited quantities either.

wait, sorry, I meant charger.

I like the looks of the magnum mostly. it's done alright for a wagon. my big magnum beefs are interiors related.

its the charger that is offensive to my eyes.

We all know the Magnum was just a knock off of this, anyways,

Posted Image

Posted Image

it's just too bad that if they were gonna copy it that it didn't have the airy greenhouse of the Audi.

It looks nothing like the Audi...the only thing it "copied" was the body style. So by that definition it's a knockoff of every station wagon ever created. Just like a Civic is a knockoff of every sedan ever created...by this defenition.

in addition to all that, the thing that really kills the LX cars for me is the absolutely brainless location of the cruise control.

Thank you, Mercedes. But yeah, it's very strange...the cruise controls on the steering wheel that LH cars and the minivans had were much more user friendly.

Edited by Dodgefan

in addition to all that, the thing that really kills the LX cars for me is the absolutely brainless location of the cruise control.

and turn signal and wiper controls. reason enough, that is, to alone not buy the car. I was cursing every time I had to use the turn signal. Hey DCX, turn signal on the left, wipers on the right. Capiche?

Thats my biggest beef with the rather bland looking G8. Yes it does have a better interior. But exterior wise, the Charger/Magnum have it all over the nondescript looking G8. And they have AWD available, the Magnum wagon and a broader selection of models and engines to choose from. And they aren't going to be produced in limited quantities either.

major disagreement with me here. the G8 was wowing folks at the auto show here. It's a yummy form. Tasteful and just agressive enough. Looks great to domestic fans, euro fans, and japan fans. The charger reeks of the clad pontiac meets who gives a rip about musclecars anymore age. The Magnum is passable because it doesn't resort to the cheesiness of warmed over musclecar styling cues.

Edited by regfootball

and turn signal and wiper controls. reason enough, that is, to alone not buy the car. I was cursing every time I had to use the turn signal. Hey DCX, turn signal on the left, wipers on the right. Capiche?

major disagreement with me here. the G8 was wowing folks at the auto show here. It's a yummy form. Tasteful and just agressive enough. Looks great to domestic fans, euro fans, and japan fans. The charger reeks of the clad pontiac meets who gives a rip about musclecars anymore age. The Magnum is passable because it doesn't resort to the cheesiness of warmed over musclecar styling cues.

Except that the Charger has no cladding. It also has performance to back off it's aggressive looks...something Pontiacs and GM vehicles in general have lacked for the most part. How is this not muscular?

Posted Image

Edited by Dodgefan

Guest YellowJacket894

The charger reeks of the clad pontiac meets who gives a rip about musclecars anymore age. The Magnum is passable because it doesn't resort to the cheesiness of warmed over musclecar styling cues.

You know, although I do ultimately like the Charger, I'm picking up what Reg is saying here. The Charger tends to try too hard to actually be what its predecessors were with four-doors while trying to stay modern, and it somehow just doesn't leave someone totally satisfied.

It's been said before but Dodge did nail what a new Charger with four-doors should like with this:

Posted Image

And that was in 1999. To get something production-ready, just maybe find a way to both tighten up the rear and rear overhang a bit and find another way to incorporate the door-scallop into the overall design.

Edited by YellowJacket894

You know, although I do ultimately like the Charger, I'm picking up what Reg is saying here. The Charger tends to try too hard to actually be what its predecessors were with four-doors while trying to stay modern, and it somehow just doesn't leave someone totally satisfied.

It's been said before but Dodge did nail what a new Charger with four-doors should like with this:

Posted Image

And that was in 1999. To get something production-ready, just maybe find a way to both tighten up the rear and rear overhang a bit and find another way to incorporate the door-scallop into the overall design.

Actually I've grown to like the production model better than this...except the interior.