Japan Mum After US Lawmakers Blast Its Trade Pract

http://money.cnn.com/services/tickerheadli...69_FORTUNE5.htm

"Toyota Motor Corp. (7203.TO) Chairman Hiroshi Okuda has expressed worries about a possible backlash and proposed raising prices on Toyota cars being sold in the United States as a way to calm emerging trade friction."

I guess the extra billions of dollars that Toyota make by raising the price is just a painful side affect that they have to bear.

Can you think of another business lie in this proportion?

Unfortunately, our media seems to play into this propaganda.

Testifying before House lawmakers Wednesday, Mohatarem said Japan's weak yen policy gave Japanese automakers a cost advantage ranging from US$3,000 on a small car to US$12,000 on a luxury sport utility vehicle.

I know this isn't the whole problem but just so everyone knows it, the Bush administration has supported a "weak dollar" policy because it supports our economic interests (for obvious reasons). Of course Japan is going to have a weak Yen policy, just like Australia's going to have a weak AUD policy and Canada's going to have a weak CAD policy. It benefits their countries.

The more disturbing and problematic aspect of Japan's current economic policies is the fact it does not allow US manufacturers to sell many vehicles in Japan. That's the biggest problem I see and it needs to be remedied. I support Toyota but not when it comes to this.

The more disturbing and problematic aspect of Japan's current economic policies is the fact it does not allow US manufacturers to sell many vehicles in Japan. That's the biggest problem I see and it needs to be remedied. I support Toyota but not when it comes to this.

It's not just cars either. It's pretty much every consumer good.

It's about damn time. There comes a time of crisis for the average American worker....while I don't think it's here yet, I do think that the motions will be put forth with this movement. It's not hard to see......we're screwed as a country that supports General Motors.

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Of course the media is buying into it. They're all mostly anti-Detroit or typical NAIVE, lie down for everyone Americans just like a large majority of the consumers.

[post="22478"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I didn't think the article was really biased either way. I think it's good to get the word out. The average consumer doesn't even know Japan does this. There's nothing to be scared of in the truth. I think once more people are aware of the corruption on Japan's part, it will work in favor of our automakers.

the media hates #1 make my words, if (i really don't want this) toyota ever becomes the #1 automaker in terms of global sales, prepare for backlash. Look at wal-mart (there are other issues at stake too, but on average) the press hates the number 1! even though number 1 in this case is all american!

Remember, if Japan would ever abandon it's 'manipulation' of the Yen, there might be other considerble consequences beyond the competitiveness of Honda and Toyota versus the U.S. Domestic brands. Sometimes the status quo is better than the alternative, because at least we all know what the status quo is and how it works. Should the Dollar weaken and the Yen strengthen considerably against each other...you would likely have inflation in the U.S. much greater than it is now (if you think gas and energy and food prices are high now, they might be much higher if the dollar weakens). For us in the U.S., American goods would not be any cheaper for us to buy (might actually be higher as GM could stop the rebates because they would be more competitive), but the price of most all goods imported could rise, from large sceen tv's to food. Of course it would stand to reason interest rates would rise considerably, from credit card rates, car loans to mortgages. Also remember the Yen has strenghthen considerably against the U.S. dollar over the last 20-30 years. I is much stronger now than in the 70's and 80's, and, with a few exceptions, has gradually but steadily gotten stronger already over the years. I'm not sure what side of ths argument I fall on. I think Japan should stop their currency manipulation. However, I'm somewhat fearful of the consequences if it did, and I also think the U.S. has to stop their 'currency manipulation' also.

the media hates #1

make my words, if (i really don't want this) toyota ever becomes the #1 automaker in terms of global sales, prepare for backlash.

Look at wal-mart (there are other issues at stake too, but on average) the press hates the number 1! even though number 1 in this case is all american!

[post="22691"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's not just the media it's Americans in general.

Anytime something or someone becomes "larger than life" our jealous society starts trying to find ways to destroy that person/entity or tear them down. It happened with Standard Oil, it happened (is happening?) with General Motors, it's happening with McDonalds, it happened with Microsoft and it's beginning to happen with Wal-Mart with the ever growing "I hate Wal-Mart for [insert lame reason]" argument.

It happens with actors/entertainers too

My question is this; will it happen once foreign entities control all of our industries? Americans seem to be perfectly comfortable destroying all that is American, yet they seem to be very welcoming and beyond hospitable to foreign firms.

I predict that once Toyota becomes number 1 (If they do, and I think they probably will still unless GM launches a MASSIVE PR war) that'll only be the beginning.... Maybe someday (Since these companies are considered "American transplants" by many and are even beginning to insist that they ARE American companies, to the delight of most) we'll see the asians completely displace Detroit to become the new big three. Detroit will either be run out of business or bought up.

That's sad, but it very well could be reality someday especially with the media resentment of all that is domestic and the consumers general automatic passing over of all that is domestic.

It happened with the Heavy truck industry, why not the car industry?

The only American heavy truck builder left that I know of is the company that owns Kenworth/Peterbuilt, and they're not high volume when compared to the rest. Freightliner, Western Star, Sterling (originally Ford heavy trucks) & American LaFrance (Fire Trucks, for anyone who doesn't know) were all bought out by DCX. Mack is now owned by Volvo heavy trucks (which sold off it's car operations to Ford) Autocar is bankrupt.. That's all I can think of now.

P.S. On second thought, I think International/Navistar is still American as well.

Oh, and small electronics is another industry that Japan screwed us out of since we couldn't compete. Most of our companies in that field went bankrupt or got bought out. I think, this in fact, has something to do with the perception that Japanese products are better. Think about it; they're the ONLY country that produces high tech small electronics that we come in contact with everyday.

Naive consumer: "Wow if my camera is so cutting edge, then I know by association that Japanese cars must be on the cutting edge of technology and therefore the best." You can laugh, but you know as well as I do it happens, it's called a schema or a shortcut thinking method from which we derive most of our stereotypes or assumptions, good or bad.

well, the koreans are starting destroy the japanese in electronics and cars. I truly believe if the Japanese and Korean automakers start to get too strong, and I honestly belive this, if it gets to a bad point, GM and Ford will join and leverage all their forces and you WILL see shit happen. Right now GM and Ford are just in sleepy wake up one eye phase. They are just now starting to get that their very existences in the future are in jeopardy. The next phase which is beginning is the honest effort to 'stem the tide'. If that doesn't do, politicians will be engaged and real efforts will be made to destroy the entire network of the ricers. The US will never attack the Euros, because our origins as a country as Euro, and the euros are fine with the lower volume niche markets that will not threaten our market share long term. Plus, the style conscious see Euro as car high fashion and the rich need fashion statements in cars too. The Japs are starting to invade that mindset some though with the more Infinits and lexus they sell. If I were like GM or something, the first thing to fix is healthcare and pensions and union contracts, and build much better cars that folks want, but after that then I would work on destroying the fabric of the footholds the Jap cars have here now if they want to kick them out long term. Edited by regfootball

Good article, but the Yen problem is not the elephant in the room. Americansand Canadians love imported goods. Don't just blame the media, although I do agree they are part of the problem. Drive through any affluent neighborhood, especially on the coasts. In the Toronto area, Rosedale is the ritzy neighborhood. I walk my dog through there all the time and let me tell you: the driveways are full of Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar, BMW - not an American car in sight. If the Japanese stop buying American treasury bills - now that is the real elephant in the room. Take a look at your current account - far more money leaves your country than comes in. That defictit of goods and services is being paid for by foreign interests; namely, the Saudis, Japan and China. Ironic, isn't it? You buy cheap Asian goods which put Americans out of work, the Chinese buy raw materials from Canada to build these products from and then store away American dollars in the way of treasury bills to deflate their own currency, thus the cycle begins again. Sooner or later, the chickens will come home to roost. American money policy may some day be at the mercy of foreign nationals so don't expect much more than saber rattling from Washington.

I see a simple solution. Add HEAVY Tariffs against Japanese goods (autos, electronics, etc.), and Japan will change their polocies FAST. Face it, the USA is one of the primary (if not THE primary) importer of Japanese goods in the world. Companies like Toyota would start losing their billions in profits (very fast) if their cars and trucks were thousands of dollars more. Yeah, our anti American citizens would be angry for a while, but not for long, because Japan's economy could not last in that situation. Seems way too simple.......................

Clown, the American economy and the government budget wouldn't last very long under your solution. Like CarBiz mentioned, Japan is one of a few nations who heavily buy U.S. Treasury Bills (because U.S. citizens don't). They allow the country to operate in times of a budget deficeit (which is almost always). By forcing them to pay HEAVY tariffs they'd stop buying treasury bills and we'd fall apart.

I'm not American but it really amazes me the when I look at the road the country is going down. Now don't take this the wrong way but your always waving your flag and preaching about how great the good old U.S.A. is yet your selling out your own country!!! Why is it that so many people and the Media can't root for the home team? I mean if you came up with a top ten list of American icons I think Chevy and Ford would make the list yet so many people want to see them both destroyed.I just don't get it.

I think that there should be a small teriff to encourage domestic and make the import market less competative, but for a general porpose, a hefty tax would be helpful for all imported products that did not comply with american minimum wages... would discourage outsorcing (less selling out)...

I'm not American but it really amazes me the when I look at the road the country is going down. Now don't take this the wrong way but your always waving your flag and preaching about how great the good old U.S.A. is yet your selling out your own country!!! Why is it that so many people and the Media can't root for the home team? I mean if you came up with a top ten list of American icons I think Chevy and Ford would make the list yet so many people want to see them both destroyed.I just don't get it.

[post="22820"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That is gospel if I ever heard it!

EXCELLENT POST!

I guess Americans are to damn naive to see what they're doing or they just don't care one. Americans have been desensitized with all of this global economy shit preached by the media and money hungry politicians... They think; well, in order for other countries to prosper we need to suffer a bit, then ultimately we will prosper... That's the biggest load of garbage I've ever heard. Do these FOOLS honestly think that other countries have the welfare of the U.S in mind like we apparently do with their welfare? (Especially now, with the anti-America sentiment throughout the world) Do Americans honestly think that all this outsourcing will someday end and "Since we suffered for a few years, now we'll prosper again" NO! It will not. Once the industry leaves, it is gone.... Once our knowledge (The same technology and knowledge we've used to defend ourself) leaves it is GONE... Once our standard of living leaves IT IS GONE and there isn't a damn country in the world who will care whether Americans are starving, killing each other or dieing when it happens.

I think that eventually (And it is gradually happening) America will be nothing more than a huge reservoir of consumers operated and controlled by other countries... Our money is being bought by Japan, our resources and businesses are being either bought, sold off to or rendered uncompetitive and dead by EVERYONE and China is waging a massive $$$ war (One which anyone with military officer training will tell you that they've been planning for years, and that the officers thenmselves have been trained on) to gain assets/American businesses to propel themselves past the US as the world superpower and therefore allow them to criple and control us.

It might seem farfetched, but just look at the signs... Who said warfare had to involve conflict and people dieing?

Oh, and this American stopped waiving his flag a long time ago, trust me. And that saddens and angers me but it's the truth.

I really don't see how not buying American-made cars is "selling out."

[post="22852"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I do not think the buying American cars is selling out or tariffs are the answer. However there are a lot of people who will not consider a car from the big 3 and wish that they would go out of business.

That is gospel if I ever heard it!

EXCELLENT POST!

I guess Americans are to damn naive to see what they're doing or they just don't care one. Americans have been desensitized with all of this global economy shit preached by the media and money hungry politicians... They think; well, in order for other countries to prosper we need to suffer a bit, then ultimately we will prosper... That's the biggest load of garbage I've ever heard. Do these FOOLS honestly think that other countries have the welfare of the U.S in mind like we apparently do with their welfare? (Especially now, wwith the anti-Americ sentiment throughout the world) Do Americans honestly think that all this outsourcing will someday end and "Since we suffered for a few years, now we'll prosper again" NO! It will not. Once the industry leaves, it is gone.... Once our knowledge (The same technology and knowledge we've used to defend oursef) leaves it is GONE... Once our standard of living leaves IT IS GONE and there isn';t a damn country in the world who will care whether Americans are starving, killing each other or dieing when it happens.

I think that eventually (And it is gradually happening) America will be nothing more than a huge reservoir of consumers operated and controlled by other countries... Our money is being bought by Japan, our resources and businesses are being either bought, sold off to or rendered uncompetitive and dead by EVERYONE and China is waging a massive $$$ war (One which anyone with military officer training will tell you that they've been planning for years, and that they have been trained on) to gain assets/American businesses to propel themselves past the US as the world superpower and therefore allow them to criple and control us.

It might seem farfetched, but just look at the signs... Who said warfare had to involve conflict and people dieing?

Oh, and this American stopped waiving his flag a long time ago, trust me. And that saddens and angers me but it's the truth.

[post="23047"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I was originally born in Quebec, Canada. I only buy GM products except for my recent loss in convincing my wife not to buy the Lexus. I told her the next purchase is again my choice and it will be american product, not an import. It is high time the US government adds a little protection to our important industries. Eventually we will have to compete with the Chinese and with out an industry, we will be toast if all we can export are service industry jobs.

Hell in a F*&$%NG Handbasket. <_<

I really don't see how not buying American-made cars is "selling out."

[post="22852"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Try paying your grocery bill with Yen, palie!

The greedy politicians and the ignorant complacent voters are the big culprits, fueled by the controlled media who are owned and operated by one-world interests, in the downward spiral of the American standard of living. The American middle-class, and the small businessman are the ones getting screwed by the politicians telling people that NAFTA and CAFTA are good for us! Yeah but, who's "US"? They preach free trade, not fair trade, and then tie the hands of the American manufacturer with costly legal rules and regulations, that offshore manufacturers don't have to follow. The Democrats have lost the power of the organized labor vote to the illegal immigrants, who are now allowed to vote if they can fog a mirror and get a drivers license! The Republicans say, that can't happen to us, and sit in their ivory tower, while reality, like Katrina, kicks us in the ass! We need a responsible 3rd-party movement here that remembers it owes its first duty to protect the people who live and work HERE, legally!! Ross Perot got carried away with his own B/S & megalamania. Pat Buchanan got his balls in a vise, and the so-called, "free-press" and the established two political partys are so consumed about keeping there own turf, that real, AMERICAN interests can't even make the pages, let alone the front page! AND the TV boys are in the same bed! Remember, you basically have only 5 people in the world telling you your "news"!!!!!! Look for new sources.

I know this isn't the whole problem but just so everyone knows it, the Bush administration has supported a "weak dollar" policy because it supports our economic interests (for obvious reasons).  Of course Japan is going to have a weak Yen policy, just like Australia's going to have a weak AUD policy and Canada's going to have a weak CAD policy.  It benefits their countries.

The more disturbing and problematic aspect of Japan's current economic policies is the fact it does not allow US manufacturers to sell many vehicles in Japan.  That's the biggest problem I see and it needs to be remedied.  I support Toyota but not when it comes to this.

[post="22566"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It is more complicated than that. Who is going to fund the debt spending of the US government?