2008 VUE base pricing announced - $21,395

Saturn's Sticker Shock
Vue bows with $3,295 price increase
By RICK KRANZ | Link to Original Article @ AutoWeek | Updated: 04/30/07, 8:46 am et
Posted Image

When the 2008 Saturn Vue appears at dealerships next month, previous owners may feel some sticker shock.

The base price for the re-engineered, restyled Vue is $21,395 including shipping, a $3,295 bump over the 2007 model.

The base price of the crossover is close to that of such 2007 rivals as the Honda CR-V, at $21,195, and Toyota RAV4, at $21,595. But it is above the Ford Escape, which stickers for $19,985. All prices include shipping.

"Keep in mind that the previous model had a smaller four-cylinder engine with a manual transmission," says Robert Reuter, global vehicle chief engineer for General Motors' compact crossover vehicles. A four-speed automatic transmission and a bigger engine - a 169-hp, 2.4-liter four-cylinder - are standard on the 2008. A manual transmission is no longer offered.

Added standard equipment includes stability control, head curtain airbags, antilock brakes, collapsible pedals and 16-inch alloy wheels.

"They are trying to move Saturn upmarket. They really want to take it out of that kind of low end of the spectrum," says Erich Merkle, director of forecasting at IRN Inc., a consulting firm in Grand Rapids, Mich. "But the question remains: Is the market ready to make that leap with them?"

Merkle thinks that at some point after the new Vue goes on sale, Saturn could be forced to spur sales by reducing content from the base vehicle and lowering its price.

Saturn General Manager Jill Lajdziak would not predict Vue sales.

Last year 82,468 Vues were sold, ending the year as Saturn's No. 2 vehicle.

-----------------------

For comparison's sake, to bring a 2007 VUE up to 2008 base VUE levels (automatic, ABS, side-curtain airbags, MP3, floor mats, XM), the total would be $21,699, a $300 advantage for the new VUE.

Keep in mind that doesn't include Stabilitrak, body-color mirrors, disc brakes, and 25 more horsepower that the 2008 VUE has.

I thought I saw it in the release notes which Fly posts when a new vehicle is released, that there was going to be a five speed manual tranny. I guess it may appear later in the model year.

I thought I saw it in the release notes which Fly posts when a new vehicle is released, that there was going to be a five speed manual tranny. I guess it may appear later in the model year.

So with the GM discount it'd be right around 20 grand. Not bad.

Actually, that's fine. I think people will pay the extra price anyways.

If they are that worried about it-offer a small rebate on it when it first comes out so it will ease the pain a bit.

Heck, give the Saturn owners some bonus cash when the turn their old Saturns in......

lot's of previous gen vue buyers got the manual, i would be surprised to see saturn be that stupid to get rid of it.

Quantify "lots". Few people buy manual cars, fewer buy manual S/CUVs.

Dropping the gas saving 5 speed manual is dumb. Making all this stuff std equipment is going to price this rather bland looking crossover out of many buyers hands and with so much extra curbweight and the now std 4 speed automatic, gas mileage will suffer. This is yet another classic case of a GM one step forward and 2 steps back.

good increase. i'm glad GM is keeping it right in line with their competitors & the new model looks way more expensive than the model it replaces, with much better content.

NOTE: according to the online ordering guide, the 4spd only comes on one model, the FWD XE and hybrid, EVERYTHING else gets the 6spd (including XE AWD models)

it's not really that big of a deal. either GM wanted to keep the cost lower on the cheaper models, or they think more people will be buying XR's or something. it's not a huge deal.

Edited by jbartley

I'm not happy about the large price increase.

I know, I know...there is more standard equipment, it is a better vehicle...but....this is what I do know:

-when most new vehicles are launched, they only have a modest price increase over the outgoing one

-for the way I would want one equiped, it is thousands over what I would get now. There is a lot more standard equipment, but most of it is for stuff I don't want or need.

I have owned a Vue in the past and I saw the new one at the Ny auto show, and I liked it a lot. But I'd be interested in a Redline FWD vue, and I simply cannot justify a $28,000+ price for one.

I still like it, dont' get me wrong, but for that price, I won't be getting one.

Let the Nox have the lower MSRP and the discounts. If you want to move Saturn upscale, you have to accept a higher price. It's not like Saturn is trying to take a Zeta body and make a 90k sedan out of it with the Saturn badge. <glares at VW>.

A 3,700k increase in base price with a corresponding or greater increase in features is justifiable. Not every car can start at 19k anymore.

The increase is fine...it has a lot more equipment and no longer looks cheap. I think sales will start slow but increase as the word gets out. Besides, who wants a stripper model anyway? If you're gonna spend a good chunk of many anyway, spend a little more and get things like A/C.

Let the Nox have the lower MSRP and the discounts. If you want to move Saturn upscale, you have to accept a higher price. It's not like Saturn is trying to take a Zeta body and make a 90k sedan out of it with the Saturn badge. <glares at VW>.

A 3,700k increase in base price with a corresponding or greater increase in features is justifiable. Not every car can start at 19k anymore.

The 2007 Equinox starts at $22865 which is nearly $1500 more than the Vue. I don't ever see Chevrolet dropping the price of the Nox below the new Vue. To do that would require a complete rethink of the vehicle and deleting the std V6 and 5 speed automatic/ABS/cruise etc. Just like the new 2008 mileage standards which will have people in a dither when comparing old vs new, the 2008 Vue is going to look mighty pricey to those comparing the 2 years base prices, even if it does have more std equipment.

The 2007 Equinox starts at $22865 which is nearly $1500 more than the Vue. I don't ever see Chevrolet dropping the price of the Nox below the new Vue. To do that would require a complete rethink of the vehicle and deleting the std V6 and 5 speed automatic/ABS/cruise etc. Just like the new 2008 mileage standards which will have people in a dither when comparing old vs new, the 2008 Vue is going to look mighty pricey to those comparing the 2 years base prices, even if it does have more std equipment.

I can get rebates, price breaks, and GM card points on a 'Nox.

For those of you saying "let the nox be the lower model" - you're forgetting that Saturn is meant to make customers of those who wouldn't buy from another GM brand. Plus, the nox isn't a Vue with different sheetmetal anymore...

Lots of people buy bare bones models. I don't know if not having a true bare bones model is wise for Saturn or not, but I'm leaning toward not. Also, the comment about women & automatics... my wife really enjoys driving a manual tranny car on a regular basis. I could see it as an overall trend, but don't assume that it's 100%.

Edited by PurdueGuy

For those of you saying "let the nox be the lower model" - you're forgetting that Saturn is meant to make customers of those who wouldn't buy from another GM brand. Plus, the nox isn't a Vue with different sheetmetal anymore...

Lots of people buy bare bones models. I don't know if not having a true bare bones model is wise for Saturn or not, but I'm leaning toward not. Also, the comment about women & automatics... my wife really enjoys driving a manual tranny car on a regular basis. I could see it as an overall trend, but don't assume that it's 100%.

My girlfriend taught me how to drive a manual after all! ^_^

Saturn isn't the same Saturn it was back when it start.... "It's a Different Kind of Company" now.....

Saturn isn't the same Saturn it was back when it start.... "It's a Different Kind of Company" now.....

understood, but here's the thing...

Saturn was created to compete with the imports & their small economy cars, thus the S-Series. Meanwhile, the import companies it was made to compete with greatly improved their image and product, while Saturn was starved and had the same car with only minor refinements. They got left behind.

Now Saturn is getting new product, and is once again being positioned to compete with the imports - it just means something different now. It's no longer just cheap A to B compacts - now it's semi-luxury cars, to compete with Toyota & Honda, and many people who would "never buy from GM" would consider buying from Saturn, simply due to image. Thing is, Toyota & Honda have bare bones models. To say that buyers who want a bare bones model can get it from Chevy is ignoring the fact that image keeps many of the potential Saturn buyers from buying Chevy. Fact is, many buyers who might look at a Saturn, but decide they'd prefer a lower priced model with fewer features will get it... from Honda or Toyota, not from Chevy.

I say make the bare bones models available, and let the market dictate production from there. If the base models don't sell well, or aren't profitable, then stop making them. Moving upmarket doesn't have to mean turning away customers who want something on the lower end. If the buyers they're after with Saturn were open to buying from Chevy, then I'd agree that this is a good strategy, to more aggressively push Saturn's image upmarket. Unfortunately, I just think it results in sales lost to the imports again.

Moving upmarket doesn't have to mean turning away customers who want something on the lower end.

actually.... yes it does. Cadillac is showing this to us now. They are moving themselves up market and they're eventually going to have to abandon their lower end <for it's size class> DTS customers. The DTS is still holding Cadillac back.

actually.... yes it does. Cadillac is showing this to us now. They are moving themselves up market and they're eventually going to have to abandon their lower end <for it's size class> DTS customers. The DTS is still holding Cadillac back.

Ok, I can agree with that, but I would expect buyers who would want a DTS, but then can't afford one, would be more likely to buy a Lucerne instead then a buyer who wants a Vue would switch over to buying a 'nox. They'd probably get something from Toyota or Honda...

Ok, I can agree with that, but I would expect buyers who would want a DTS, but then can't afford one, would be more likely to buy a Lucerne instead then a buyer who wants a Vue would switch over to buying a 'nox. They'd probably get something from Toyota or Honda...

Is that Saturn's fault or Chevy's fault?

Goofy, blad and looks about a foot too fall.

Is that Saturn's fault or Chevy's fault?

Well, if you want to get into blame, there's plenty to go around - GM, each brand individually including Chevy & Saturn, the media, on & on. Blame generally doesn't help much in making the best of a current situation, though...

So with the GM discount it'd be right around 20 grand. Not bad.

Actually, that's fine. I think people will pay the extra price anyways.

If they are that worried about it-offer a small rebate on it when it first comes out so it will ease the pain a bit.

Heck, give the Saturn owners some bonus cash when the turn their old Saturns in......

What GM discount? If you're talking about the GM Employee Discount, not everyone is allowed to get that, in fact, GM has actually started checking to make sure those that got it were supposed to get it and they are checking with motor vehicle departments in all 50 states to make sure they are still in compliance with the program 6 months after the fact or longer. I've seen 3 people in Wilmington assembly alone stripped of that discount program for life because they lied about people who they said were family members and they later turned up being just friends or neighbors.

As far as the price increase, well I know they are trying to bring Saturn upmarket but the sales of the Aura alone should have taught them "If You Build It, They Might Not Come!", people just can't get over paying those prices to a brand they still feel is quirky and odd. What Saturn should have done was keep the pricing as low as they could and slowly brought up the pricing as they add more Opel models to their lineup. That would have been the smart thing to do.

As far as the price increase, well I know they are trying to bring Saturn upmarket but the sales of the Aura alone should have taught them "If You Build It, They Might Not Come!", people just can't get over paying those prices to a brand they still feel is quirky and odd. What Saturn should have done was keep the pricing as low as they could and slowly brought up the pricing as they add more Opel models to their lineup. That would have been the smart thing to do.

Exact problem.

...4 cylinder, perhaps even a manual tranny with a killer base price might have been wiser than 2 sixes as well.

What GM discount? If you're talking about the GM Employee Discount, not everyone is allowed to get that, in fact, GM has actually started checking to make sure those that got it were supposed to get it and they are checking with motor vehicle departments in all 50 states to make sure they are still in compliance with the program 6 months after the fact or longer. I've seen 3 people in Wilmington assembly alone stripped of that discount program for life because they lied about people who they said were family members and they later turned up being just friends or neighbors.

Saturn doesnt get the GM Card Rebates and that is a big mistake. I could see the Vue taking off from the start if we could use the rebate but perhaps GM doesnt want Chevy to lose sales and figures non GM people would be more likely to buy a Saturn.

What I would like to see is the Equinox replaced with the Captiva, or a improved Equinox taking over for the Trailblazer and a Captiva added to take the place of the 'Nox.