Considering a Saturn? Yes, actually...

Well, as I've said many times, after I test drove an Acadia back in January, I've been infatuated with the Lambdas ever since. As I always do, I attempted to peak some interest in the queen mum--her Suburban is right at 3 years, which is actually the LONGEST she's owned any of the past 4 vehicles--and she what she thought. Still SUV comfort and space, but much more refined, better gas mileage, and much lower pricing than another new GMT-900.

Didn't immediately get such a strong response--well, aside from a while ago when she saw the Enclave concept on Motorweek and said "Wow, what's that?!"--until just recently. Out of the blue I was asked "Those Acadias, what kind of gas mileage do they get?" and etc., etc. Point blank, the Suburban is nice, but as I've also said many times, more of a waste for a 1 person commuter vehicle than the 5 times a year it gets loaded.

So, I started scheming. She likes things exactly as her Suburban is, a "cloth" model that's actually pretty loaded, and that's what I started researching. I still like the Acadia look most, but on a base SLE trim, you just can't get key things like the DIC, steering wheel controls, etc. Next up, to the Saturn. Here, I can build an Outlook XR FWD that's EXACTLY right, with what we'd want.

Of course, I've never been too privy on the "Saturn experience", and the MSRP only thing is a change, but even with that, the resulting price isn't too out of line with what a discounted GMC or Buick would be--and I do get Supplier pricing, which does work with Saturn as well. Other than that, seems like a mostly positive thing.

Hopefully next week will be my first foray to a Saturn dealer, check out the Outlooks they have, and see if they'll let me take an extended test drive to bring one home, like the local GM dealer is always willing to do. At the same time, also hope to compare to some more Acadias, at dealers in the same area.

So yeah, we'll see. Never, ever even considered a Saturn really, even with the recent complete brand change, but why not? Seems like a positive sales experience from everyone I've heard, and the Outlook would be a terrific buy if the right one can be found.

If I can bring one home for an hour or two, it should be an easy sell--heck, this past summer, when she was on the gas mileage thing again, I suggested a Buick Lucerne, and after bringing one to her work, she was ready to buy it after a 1 minute test drive. Didn't, of course, but it was that easy.

Anyone else here who was a recent Saturn "convert" or is considering it now because of all the new products?

Anymore it's kind of like the "different" brand that isn't all that different anymore, but that's a very good thing mostly.

I think the Outlook would be a good buy since it needs sales anyway...plus it's a handsome devil.

Yeah, good point. You know, that was another thing. Albeit minor, the Outlook right now has a $1000 rebate or low financing that the others don't--I presume because of the slightly lower sales. I didn't know about the former until I was on their site, and it was another attractive thing, on top of the Supplier pricing we can get. The Acadia, in comparison, is just doing insanely well from a sales point, and most dealers are going crazy either trying to keep them or are constantly searching around to find them for people--in the one big Acadia forum that started, they also just saw a huge roar in new members, which is consistent.

But, we'll see. The Suburban is at 3 years of a 5 year loan, and has 46k on it, but really hasn't had any maintenance aside from oil and some warranty repairs. Still, a pretty good time, value wise I think, to at least check on something new, even if just for the heck of it.

Someone at church has a Med. Brown Outlook, a color that I'm back and fourth on, but overall it's a great looker. We've been on a white tangent for a while--my pewter silver being the first to break it--and I think she's sick of it, but have no idea what else she'd like color wise. White Diamond actually would be perfect, and that alone would sell her on it, but I doubt being able to find one that's very lightly optioned. I just hope the dealer has one that's pretty close, color regardless, to get the best idea. Going on a mission tomorrow to the Saturn dealer down the road in West Chester, before I move back to Delaware in a few days, to check some out while they're closed.

Edited by caddycruiser

Saturn doesn't currently make a car large enough for me to desire in that way, but the Aura is damn close.

Yeah, good point. I really don't see them adding anything larger, car wise, but I guess with future expansion it's possible. The Aura is really well regarded by just about everyone, for sure, and out of all GM's cars, it actually does fit on a list of my top few if I were in the market for one.

All the new stuff seems to be doing great, but when I think about it, at least at home, I still rarely see any of the "new". That's partly why the one couple from church who has a brown Outlook sticks in my mind so much. I think the key here is just that the closest dealer is half an hour away, but not totally sure.

Does your Mom know you are talking about her on the Net? Next time I'm in Sussex County, I'ma tell! :smilewide:

Haha. Yes, all the time, trust me. The way it goes is I get the idea for a new car, do the research and any more do test drives, and play Mr. Salesman to convince her. It's a fun game, and I have a pretty good success rate. Seriously...I can usually tell when she's getting the idea too, but is just so not hot on the idea of car shopping or even test driving (dislikes that, too), she likes other people to do it for her.

And, being that I'm wrapping up this year in a day, and about to move home, what better time. If I only had constant income myself, trust me, I'd be on car #10 by now, alone--so I just fulfill the need through someone else's checkbook for the time being;)

Just like last year, when gas was up, and I heard "That's it, I need a Volkswagon" about 5 times. Took me a few minutes, but in came the Lucerne suggestion, and it was 75% the way of happening.

Edited by caddycruiser

Here's another thing guys. Not that you'll have any real bearing on this, but if you were going with an Outlook, what would be your pick or picks of colors?

Like I said, we've been on a white thing for a while, and I actually really like the white once again on an Outlook, but also think it'd be nice for something new and different. The only rules are blue and red are out, but curious of what you think...

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/outlook/colors.jsp

Red, Blue or Black (you can never go wrong with black)

You can if you want to keep it looking good. Black cars are a bitch to keep clean, not to mention swirl marks if you do any waxing. Red is also tough in that respect. If I were buying an Outlook, I'd go with Cocoa or Ocean Mist.

Ocn Mist is hot, with the blue/gray interior. That's my favorite combination for the Outlook. I still wish GM made a 2-row Lambda with a shorter wheelbase for people who just don't need that 3rd seat.

Good luck with this project, caddy. The Lambdas are fantastic products.

I'm on a different Continent, so I couldn't really consider any of the Lambdas... I have to say that I like what I've seen so far (in pics) of the 3 Lambda vehicles and if (a) the equipment fits your needs and wants perfectly and (b) you can go past the MSRP only thing, then go for it.

Also, considering how much $$$ you might save on fuel might be important: A Suburban isn't exactly the most fuel efficient of vehicles.

Ocn Mist is hot, with the blue/gray interior. That's my favorite combination for the Outlook. I still wish GM made a 2-row Lambda with a shorter wheelbase for people who just don't need that 3rd seat.

Good luck with this project, caddy. The Lambdas are fantastic products.

That's the Chevy...and possibly one other brand, if the hints dropped are true. Unfortunately, '09 MY, IIRC (for the Chevy)

I'm on a different Continent, so I couldn't really consider any of the Lambdas... I have to say that I like what I've seen so far (in pics) of the 3 Lambda vehicles and if (a) the equipment fits your needs and wants perfectly and (b) you can go past the MSRP only thing, then go for it.

Also, considering how much $$$ you might save on fuel might be important: A Suburban isn't exactly the most fuel efficient of vehicles.

Yeah, that's the main thing. Particularly just figuring out if the overall gas mileage increase is enough to notice. I'm pretty sure it would be, even if not Suburban->Prius huge. Since she bought it, the 'Burb has pretty much been locked on the 14-16mpg average in short daily stop and go trips, and pulls 20-22'ish at times cruising on the highway. Not bad at all, really, for the size and weight of the vehicle, but not terrific either.

As for the colors, realistically, dark blue and red are out for sure, and though I too like the Ocean Mist, the blue shade would probably kill it too. One color I know would, by far, be a winner is the White Diamond, I just doubt the number of low optioned models out there in that shade.

That's the Chevy...and possibly one other brand, if the hints dropped are true. Unfortunately, '09 MY, IIRC (for the Chevy)

Hmm...never heard of that. I thought the Chevy was just going to be the same 7/9-seater size, and really no different aside from styling and trim than the others.

F*** that. Have mom buy a Roadmaster Estate. Stick w/ the B-bodys!!!

No credible person has said that there will be a SWB Lambda, although some here wish for it. A SWB Lambda would be barely bigger, but probably much heavier, than an Equinox, so I don't see the point.

As far as the suggestion for buying a Roadmaster Estate, unless the purchaser has excellent mechanical skills, why would anyone recommend buying an 11 year old car?

F*** that. Have mom buy a Roadmaster Estate. Stick w/ the B-bodys!!!

Sorry, haha...already have 2 Fleetwoods and a Roadmaster sedan, and though they're great cars, that'll never happen. Once you go SUV, it's hard to ever be trully comfortable "down low" in a car again, let alone a classic.

If I was choosing between the Saturn Outlook and the GMC Acadia, the Acadia would win.

To me, better looking, and less image baggage. Saturn could go super premium and have a

supercar in their lineup and I still wouldn't go there.

It will take years to change the perception that Saturn has.

I would be slightly embarassed to say I owned a Saturn.

It feels emasculating.

The interior alone would win me over to the GMC...

the Saturn's is dated and overwrought with fake wood.

Posted Image

If I was choosing between the Saturn Outlook and the GMC Acadia, the Acadia would win.

To me, better looking, and less image baggage. Saturn could go super premium and have a

It feels emasculating.

Posted Image

Posted Image

How is that overwrought?

Oh well, to each his own, but I myself would have no problem buying a Saturn...in fact I'd much rather buy their new products than anything they had in the past.

I was looking at them today on the lot. Apparently, you can order woodgrain trim or metallic trim in the Outlook. I like it either way.

Saw an Enclave today too. That is THE best looking Lambda so far, inside and out, imo. It was a FWD brown. I think the price was $36k.

I was looking at them today on the lot. Apparently, you can order woodgrain trim or metallic trim in the Outlook. I like it either way.

Saw an Enclave today too. That is THE best looking Lambda so far, inside and out, imo. It was a FWD brown. I think the price was $36k.

Yeah, base XE Outlooks all get the silver trim, and XR trims get the wood. I'd prefer the silver choice in all, but that's just how it goes.

I also want to see an Enclave. Don't think I'll make it out on my exploration trip today, but from all that I've seen, the "base" CX Enclave is terrific, and would be another perfect fit.

It feels emasculating.

Agreed, and the GMC still wins with me from a purely stylistic point of view, just not on the equipment aspect of a lower model as just too much is stripped. But, that hasn't ruled one out, and it's definitely on the list.

In that, I think the Outlook is very much the same, but made with a Euro flair of sorts, with some lines dulled down a bit, and the chrome and such stripped away largely. All 3 definitely appeal in different ways, which is a great thing.

Edited by caddycruiser

Agreed, you wouldn't go wrong with any one of these fine vehicles.

On the subject of interiors, I still don't understand Saturn in even having a woodgrain interior in any of their vehicles...it just doesn't make sense to me. They want to change their image, go in a more Euro direction, dynamic, modern...then they do this. It's GM-old-think.

On the subject of interiors, I still don't understand Saturn in even having a woodgrain interior in any of their vehicles...it just doesn't make sense to me. They want to change their image, go in a more Euro direction, dynamic, modern...then they do this. It's GM-old-think.

Good point, I guess they just want to more replicate a lot of the imports that offer either wood or metallic trim. Of course, a lot of those imports also use real world, but a lot of people still do see the wood as making the interior look warmer, and I concur. It's not the most techy look, but done well it adds to the luxury idea. Is kind of strange with where Saturn is seemingly trying to go, though.

Of course, if wood in cars went away, I wouldn't be heart broken, but offering a variety is still good. Just too bad the only car they do it properly with--or at least used to--is the Impala of all things, with a no cost metallic or fake wood choice.

Saw an Enclave today too. That is THE best looking Lambda so far, inside and out, imo.

+1

Agreed, and the GMC still wins with me from a purely stylistic point of view, just not on the equipment aspect of a lower model as just too much is stripped. But, that hasn't ruled one out, and it's definitely on the list.

In that, I think the Outlook is very much the same, but made with a Euro flair of sorts, with some lines dulled down a bit, and the chrome and such stripped away largely. All 3 definitely appeal in different ways, which is a great thing.

+1

+1

Metallic > wood

Unless the wood is real...and the I'd like metallic and wood.

+1

Ya, it's not so much the plastic wood that I object against...it's the overuse of it. That Outlook woodie version is so heavy with this stuff....they need be more subtle with it. There is a generational thing with wood interiors I think. Many younger customers view it as old-fashioned. I mean they stopped making fake wood grained microwaves, clock radios, stereos, humidifiers, televisions etc a long time ago, maybe it's time for cars too.

It does add some warmth to car interiors, I have to admit, but for many years, American cars hardly ever used the stuff and looked great. Car manufacturers need to get imaginative with interior schemes again and then fake wood grain won't be necessary. I think it's a lazy way out.

Compare a Park Avenue with and without wood trim to see what a difference it makes.

Of course, it all depends on the car, where its used, and how much is used. Strategic trimming can add luxury and warmth to the cabin; Chrysler 5th Avenue-style overkill is disgusting. And if you want to look at wood done wrong, look at any Korean car. Horrid, fake-as-hell garbage.

Compare a Park Avenue with and without wood trim to see what a difference it makes.

Of course, it all depends on the car, where its used, and how much is used. Strategic trimming can add luxury and warmth to the cabin; Chrysler 5th Avenue-style overkill is disgusting. And if you want to look at wood done wrong, look at any Korean car. Horrid, fake-as-hell garbage.

Very true, and that's just like our Fleetwoods--it's very thinly placed, but it wouldn't look better if it was missing. Some cars it does just fit, and others not. On second thought, I actually do like it in a lot of cars, in reality. With and without, there is a huge difference in the "warmness", which is how I always describe it.

Back to the Outlook, here's a good direct comparison of the silver vs. the wood, in an XE and then XR interior:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I like both, actually, and both just give off a different flair. One's more modern and techie, and the other is warmer and more luxurious...even though both are essentially just the same Ebony cloth interior.

Sorry, haha...already have 2 Fleetwoods and a Roadmaster sedan, and though they're great cars, that'll never happen. Once you go SUV, it's hard to ever be trully comfortable "down low" in a car again, let alone a classic.

Well... I was being fecisious but still, I've had a few SUVs (All Chevys)

and even my jacked up beyond legal limits 1988 Full Size Blazer with

33" tires that rode higher than most Peterbilt 379s would not prevent

me from buying a nice old B-body if the money was right.

i visited the dealer i got my aztek from this wkd and talked to my salesguy. the dealer sells chevy/BPG/Caddy/Saturn and he said the acadias are basically gone the day they get them and the outlooks tend to sit on the lot awhile in comparison. if i were buying, i would get the GMC, because i prefer the interior and the grille. but either seems to be a good choice. I think the GMC might hold resale a bit better.

i visited the dealer i got my aztek from this wkd and talked to my salesguy. the dealer sells chevy/BPG/Caddy/Saturn and he said the acadias are basically gone the day they get them and the outlooks tend to sit on the lot awhile in comparison. if i were buying, i would get the GMC, because i prefer the interior and the grille. but either seems to be a good choice. I think the GMC might hold resale a bit better.

Exactly true. I even log in GMBuypower daily and can watch the Acadias disappear one after the other, let alone being in the Acadia forum and listening to all the people ordering, searching, doing dealer trades, etc. The Acadia is just an incredible sales leader right now.

The Saturn seems to fluctuate a bit more, largely because of the more sparse dealers and MSRP thing, but still does well. Hopefully I'll be able to do a better comparison, even of Saturn directly to GMC before long, if not also Buick.

Well, the GMC and Saturn aren't too far different from each other... I actually prefer the Outlook. I like the "eagle" face and the clean, chrome-rimmed taillights better... and that aforementioned gray/blue interior.

Exactly true. I even log in GMBuypower daily and can watch the Acadias disappear one after the other, let alone being in the Acadia forum and listening to all the people ordering, searching, doing dealer trades, etc. The Acadia is just an incredible sales leader right now.

Well the plus point is then you will be having a car (Outlook) which is more unique than the Acadia, which will be see more commonly. I saw a couple of Outlooks in person and I gotta tell you that pictures do not do justice to that car. As much as Acadia is a looker, Outlook is not at all a bad looking vehicle in person.

My take on wood VS metal. Wood looks bad to me when it is used in a dark, monochrome interior. Dark interiors liek that look much better with metallic...but tan or 2-tone (half dark have tan/light) wood works. Like I said..my favorite cars are the ones that use wood and metal.

I think the Aura is overkill on the fake wood...it looks so much better in metallic.

My take on wood VS metal. Wood looks bad to me when it is used in a dark, monochrome interior. Dark interiors liek that look much better with metallic...but tan or 2-tone (half dark have tan/light) wood works. Like I said..my favorite cars are the ones that use wood and metal.

I think the Aura is overkill on the fake wood...it looks so much better in metallic.

Such as the tan & black, which is my pick of the 3?

Posted Image

Posted Image

With this, I think the wood actually looks very "in place", or at least more so than the blue & gray or the all black.

Saturn doesn't currently make a car large enough for me to desire in that way, but the Aura is damn close.

I test sat the Aura. I liked the "non-pushiness" of the Saturn "experience." I applaud the car, but it doesn't feel right...too small. (I also didn't like the cloth in the base model, though the fit and finish were commendable).

But I'm sure it would be a good car. When I have more time, I will go out and test drive one.

Well, just got back from driving one. Didn't get to do an extended drive like I wanted to, but the dealership was great and the salesman was probably the most knowledgeable I've met in terms of knowing the product and being able to hold a nice conversation.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Best part was actually getting to drive one of the NICEST ones they had, and essentially perfect in terms of colors, an XR FWD in White Diamond Tricoat, with beige & black interior, leather, center buckets, dual sunroof, and 19" polished wheels--very, very stylish and got looks on the drive. Stickered a little over $36k, and that's definitely more stuff than we'd want, but for what it had, an INSANE deal compared to competing crossovers with less room and capability and much nicer than an overpriced Tahoe or Yukon with less room and truck dynamics.

But back to the actual drive. The Acadia I drove in January was a base SLE with the 18's and the Goodyear Fortera tires, and it just sucked up every little bit of road irregularity and didn't float. The Outlook has the same suspension tuning, but this one had the optional 19's and Goodyear RS-A performance tires, and still sucked up bumps just as well but did it more crisply and it had a tad sharper feel overall. The brakes were also phenomenal, and somehow felt better than I remembered, and it had great pickup--though, even being a later unit, the shifts were somewhat goofy and it seemed confused at times. As is, wouldn't bother me, just something I noticed.

That all said, I loved it, and with a combination of the dealer and the vehicle itself, actually am liking the Outlook more than the Acadia now. The interior, at least in the black or tan/black, is extremely nice, and just adds to the German luxury sedan look and feel on the road. And, as well, the doors and such are trimmed out better than the Acadia--things I've read from many people--with soft, upholstered door panels and nice textures elsewhere. I actually kept thinking I was in some kind of new VW, both from the interior design and materials, and how it firmly yet silently and absorbent went down the road. Even the wood was great, at least in combination with the tan/black, and looked real and like it should be there.

Also for my first experience at a Saturn dealer, it was a really good one, and I could already see why people like it so much. Clearly told them I was shopping for my mother, and to that extent they were just as helpful if I was doing it for myself, and now I just have to work on convincing her to at least drive one herself--this is where being able to bring one home would have been key, but oh well. Stay tuned.

Edited by caddycruiser