2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP AWD - DELIVERED

Just placed the order for the 2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP. Just too many little things that were better than a truck, and better for a college student. Plus I like the idea of the 6 speed, rather than an ancient 4 speed auto.

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP AWD

• 3.6L SFI VVT V6

• 6-Speed Auto

• Heated Front Bucket Leather Seats W/ Lateral Support

• Premium Paint

• DVD Navigation

• Pioneer 7 speaker audio system

• XM Radio

• Side Airbags

• Sunroof

• 1SF Package

Colours:

58U - Carbon Flash Metallic (Carbon Black Metallic In USA)

312 - Cashmere / Ebony

Should have it by the middle of August. Starts building at the end of June.

post-57-1178579398_thumb.jpg

post-57-1178579431_thumb.jpg

Edited by CadillacCTS

Cool. Congrats, :)

What you ordered is what I would like to get my wife! Can I ask where does pricing start and what colors can you get them in? My wife would really like a new GXP Torrent.

There is no pricing just yet, but as soon as I know I will post it for you.

As far as colours go :

-Sedona Beige Metallic

-Black

-NEW! Deep Blue Metallic

-Granite Gray Metallic

-NEW! Carbon Black Metallic (premium colour - extra cost)

-Sonoma Red Metallic

-Liquid Silver Metallic

-NEW! Teal Metallic

-Bright White

Thanks congrats on the new ride. So they will have all those colors optional on the GXP? Yes! I just didn't want them to have a couple you know. Tell me how that big 3.6L V6 drives cause, I am seriuosly thinking about one, my wife loves 'em!

Edited by gm4life

Great move, and as I've said many times, should be a TERRIFIC vehicle for a college student. Wish I had one!

The 3.6L/6-speed is a surprising screamer in even the heavy Lambdas, so I can't imagine how much of a beast it'll make the much lighter Equinox/Torrent/VUE.

• 3 weeks later...
<_< Just found out that the Torrent GXP model and the colour I choose are on hold until July 30th. Originally there was no hold on the GXP Torrent, but my GM rep just called me and told me that they have a few things to work out (no clue what they are). He was going to try to push the vehicle ahead to get it built right on the 30th, to ensure we have it before september.

• 1 month later...

Mini Update:

So...Today we decided to change the colour of the Torrent to Atlanta Blue (23U) from Carbon Metallic (58U). I called order management today and the vehicle is supposed to go into production on the 30th of July. There is a delay on the GXP and Sport (Equinox) models due to a "supplier restriction", and start-up is supposed to be slow through August until September.

Edited by CadillacCTS

Well, production of the Torrent GXP and Equinox Sport models begins Monday at CAMI. Although, the colour I changed the vehicle too - Deep Blue Metallic - doesn't start production until August 6th. I will be lucky to ever see this thing. I think we are out of luck as to getting the vehicle before September. My only hope is that the vehicle actually gets built on the 6th. It only takes 2-3 weeks to ship a vehicle from Ontartio to BC, so it might make it if that is the case.

Edited by CadillacCTS

Well, production of the Torrent GXP and Equinox Sport models begins Monday at CAMI. Although, the colour I changed the vehicle too - Deep Blue Metallic - doesn't start production until August 6th. I will be lucky to ever see this thing. I think we are out of luck as to getting the vehicle before September. My only hope is that the vehicle actually gets built on the 6th. It only takes 2-3 weeks to ship a vehicle from Ontartio to BC, so it might make it if that is the case.

Patience, my friend. Model change over is always a nail biting time for the manufacturer. There is a reason most people won't factory order any more: lack of patience. Factory orders can (and often do) take 12 weeks. Color is a big factor. Slow ramp-up on a model change is another. Slow dealer buy-in may be another.

With all the deals on the 2007 Equinox/Torrents (0 %/60 mo. financing/$750 stackable credit/free sun roof on LTs, etc.), many dealers here have been slow to even order 2008s. I don't know what changes had to be made at the factory due to the windshield concerns on late production 2007s either. That may have slowed things down, too.

I would never presume to tell a customer a 'guaranteed' or even 'suggested' arrival date. I had a S-10 sit in a holding pen in Windsor for 10 days - they knew where it was, they just couldn't get to it. Then, some salespeople are only too happy to take the order (and the deposit.)

My motto: I would rather under promise and over perform, rather than the other way around.

• 1 month later...

I just looked at one at the local dealer, and actually liked it.

A BIG reason why is the combo they ordered--a FWD Torrent GXP in white with tan cloth, and the sunroof/stereo package. Don't expect the cloth to be the most common, but it's always my favorite if a choice, and the white/tan/polished wheels really lended themselves to a sport model. Really liked the shaved roof rack, as well.

Hope you get it soon, and enjoy--the 3.6L/6-speed alone should be enough to overcome any downfalls of the Equinox/Torrent (i.e. still fairly cheap interior, particularly vs. the Vue). They look fantastic :thumbsup:

Well....We picked up the Torrent yesterday! I must say that I am very impressed. The vehicle is much sportier looking than I anticipated. The 3.6L / 6 Speed combo is amazingly smooth and powerful in the upper gears. I find the 1st gear tuned a little strange, but once you get into the higher gears this vehicle can really move. Another fix for that problem is just to put the vehicle in manual mode. Finally GM added softer materials to the inside of the car. Instead of hard plastic facing the driver and passenger, they have made the dash out of a soft touch, padded material. However, the upper part of the dash is still the same hard plastic. The vehicle looks like it is sitting really low without roof racks and the lowered suspension. The wheels are gorgeous. New instrument cluster is very cool looking, especially at night when the edges of the gauges light up in an orangy/red colour. I will be glad to answer anyones questions about the vehicle and I will post pictures as soon as I get the chance.

Yes, they look great, and I was really drawn in to the white/tan GXP FWD the local dealer had...the erased roof rack, larger wheels, and different stance and fascias really made an already good looking ute better.

And then, who could beat the 3.6L/6-speed in a relatively light weight vehicle? Again, as so many have commented on in the Lambdas, you too might think the trans tuning is odd, but as a GM engineer had to say many times while he was on an Acadia forum, it's tuned to keep things at the lowest RPM possible in normal light driving, and therefore yield you the best gas mileage. But step on it, and that "mode" will go away, and it's just a screamer.