Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

DESIGN: Holden VE

Guest YellowJacket894

Guest YellowJacket894

This brief image gallery will bring to you a glimpse of the design work on the Holden VE range (Berlina, Omega, Calais, Commodore, Statesman, and other associated models), which began in the year 1999 and ended around 2003. The Holden VE range has become something of a word car since it's 2006 introduction; forming the basics of the Pontiac G8, which reintroduces the concept of a V8 engine and rear-drive in a mainstream Pontiac sedan, and the Buick Park Avenue, which is currently a China-only product that has quickly risen to the status of being one of the most luxurious Buicks built in the last few years. Not to mention the Chevrolet versions sold in the Middle East. Soon after its debut in Australia, it gained notoriety as being something of a poor man's BMW 5-Series, with a ride and handling that closely resembled that said car. It has also been one of Holden's largest and most costliest projects to date in its seven total years of development and prototype mules have seen over 2.1 million miles of testing and abuse.

BRIEF HISTORY: Design work for the Holden VE range started in late 1999 after Holden's exterior design manager produced a two-dimensional sketch of a car sketched earlier by Michael Simcoe, Holden's design director at that current point in time. Known amongst Holden designers as the "Bill of Design," it would be the sketch that formed the very basics of the final product. Although many assorted pieces and elements of the design changed over the period of time it was being developed (taillights, window cluster, wheelbase among others) the aggressive stance from the earlier sketch remained throughout the process. Then in 2004, Holden previewed the VE styling with the Torana TT36 concept car.

Images follow starting ... now.

DESIGN: Holden VE Range

Posted Image
NOTE: (Above.) The initial design sketch for the Holden VE.

Posted Image
NOTE: (Above.) Another sketch with sharper design cues that resemble early Cadillac Art & Science-type designs.

Posted Image
NOTE: (Above.) This sketch shows a design very much resembling the final car, only with slight changes to hood.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
NOTE: (Above.) Those computer-generated designs preview the final Calais and Commodore, with only slight changes to the fender/brake vent and wing on the Commodore.

All images will be posted in a moment. Please do not post until the following post is up. Thanks.

Guest YellowJacket894

OTHER IMAGES:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

More photos in just a moment. Hang in there!

Edited by YellowJacket894

Sexxxy!

Camaro is my other Jesus...

Zeta might as well be the 2nd coming of Christ!

It's like the designers were locked down inside the studio in 1999, never to see the light of day or have any contact with the outside world. They lost a wide track of time. Pontiac needs more than this. Edited by ocnblu

A boring car from the start-but it does have a good chance and I love seeing design sneak peeks! Thanks to those who brought it!

Yes, these are a bit bland & more boring than the 300C &

Charger but they're still RWD, have optional V8s & clean

as a whistle styling. Now if only they were working on a

full size 2-dr hardtop, A 100% AUTHENTIC Bonneville/GP.

That's because it was! Mike Simcoe 1st started work on that vehicle then. He first started his BMW benchmarks at that time.

The BMW benchmark they set was for the driving experience, NOT the styling. There is a difference. It doesn't look like a BMW of any model or year.

Thanks so much for posting these pics!

It's great to get a glimpse of the process.

While I really like this car overall, I agree with Ocn about the ribbed tail lights. The one thing I have found to dislike about the G8 is those cheap-looking, Altezza-style tails. the clear lens, busy mish-mash behind the lens style of tails needs to die as a styling trend - they always look like crap. :puke:

It's like the designers were locked down inside the studio in 1999, never to see the light of day or have any contact with the outside world. They lost a wide track of time. Pontiac needs more than this.

Posted Image> Posted Image

Edited by Dodgefan

What kills the G6 GXP for me is that STOOPID wing. It totally destroys an otherwise very nice package. I actually even like the GTP better, it's sooo clean and lithe, with the polished 18" rims.

Guest YellowJacket894

What kills the G6 GXP for me is that STOOPID wing. It totally destroys an otherwise very nice package. I actually even like the GTP better, it's sooo clean and lithe, with the polished 18" rims.

You know, really looking at the GX/P a few months after it's debut, it really is five steps back for Pontiac. The cladded Grand Ams were never that bad. Looking at it from that angle (and just about any other), I find that my trigger finger has a bad itch to shoot whoever designed that package for the G6. Ocn, sorry, but if that is "Pontiac character," please, by all means, bring on the Holdens.

They lost a wide track of time. Pontiac needs more than this.

Pun, much? :P

Edited by YellowJacket894

That's my feeling too, why would I want a BMW copycat, when I can have a real BMW, and not a Downunder Pretender should I so desire? :spin:

Good for you! Each to their own though... having happily owned 2 late model BMWs I can atest they make some good cars, but definitely not good value. And if money is no object there are still better drives around.

Next up my money will go to the downunder pretender - value-packed with good safety credentials, excellent dynamics and a good size to boot! Oh, and a fine looking ride, too :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by zetaman

Good for you! Each to their own though... having happily owned 2 late model BMWs I can atest they make some good cars, but definitely not good value. And if money is no object there are still better drives around.

Next up my money will go to the downunder pretender - value-packed with good safety credentials, excellent dynamics and a good size to boot! Oh, and a fine looking ride, too :AH-HA_wink:

Fine looking ride? If you like a car with a fat bloated rear end and bland styling? I guess you could call it fine looking. But as you said, to each their own and we already know you and I will never agree on the downunder pretender, but that's what makes the world go around. The great G8 experiment will begin soon enough anyway, let's sit back and watch how North America votes on it. It should be interesting, to say the least. :spin:

Were I in the market for a sedan, the G8 would be the only contender and I wouldn't even look at BMW. For me, it was just the same with the GTO - I prefer it to the M3. The M3 was a fine car, but I got more for quite a bit less with the GTO.

Then there is the subtopic of the G6 here in this thread. That car is the greatest disappointment I've seen from GM recently when going from concept to production. Gorgeous concept, hideous production car even if you ignore the GXP. The G6 is just plain goofy-looking, and I hope to see it replaced sooner rather than later.