DIRTY DANCING -NOBODY PUTS BABY IN THE CORNER

ok, was channel flipping they had Dirty Dancing on sat tonight. got stuck on it...again

I don't care if this is THE quintissential chick flick....I LOVE THIS MOVIE.

Ok, maybe it's the second bottle of wine tonight. Two nights in a row, drinking at home. I'm on board with this.

All you guy guys say what you want about Patrick Swayze....

that Jennifer Grey, I'd bust that. Damn. Not just once. But maybe a couple 2-3 hundred times.

Vastly underrated she was. It's a shame the face didn't match the bod. Then, when she tried to fix it, she went too far and 'bye bye career'.

So anyways, the movie itself. Great soundtrack. One of those 'period' movies and 'coming of age' movies at the same time. The acting is marginal at best but somehow the raw emotion and feeling of the time comes across and the story is well told. Plenty of heat, and big ending. As Ebert would say 'thumbs up'.

There is a guy I used to work with that hates this movie. He is like 32 now and still single. I told him he should rent this movie and watch it with a date or something and he'd be guaranteed to score. He said he hates the movie so much he wouldn't care. I told him, 'that explains why you are and will forever be single'.

The first time I saw this movie I was working overnight stock crew at a target store (yes, like 18 years ago) and our shift manager lady chick brought in the movie to watch over break. I could not believe how 'psyched' this movie got the women. I just thought it was an ok movie but after they kept going on and on about it I got that women like to watch movies about situations and feeling s they envision themselves in. Then eventually i started dating my wife and she liked the movie too.

There is a lot of cheesiness to the movie but that's what makes it timeless.

That, and an excellent soundtrack. Every song as it is presented in the movie captures every moment of the story brilliantly.

So what is the verdict on this movie and patrick swayze and jennifer grey? more wine./......

\

any other chick movies you guys get caught staying on when channel flipping?

Edited by regfootball

Auggghhh....I remember that movie too well..it came out right before my senior year in high school. It's theme song '(I've Had) The Time of My Life' was the main song at my senior prom.. I remember for a while that that song, 'Hungry Eyes' and 'She's Like The Wind' were on the radio constantly.

I can't believe it's been almost 20 years since Dirty Dancing...but I've had my 5.0 almost 20 years, and my 20th HS reunion is a little over a year away..

Edited by moltar

..it came out right before my senior year in high school. It's theme song '(I've Had) The Time of My Life' was the main song at my senior prom..

...at least you went to it! :lol: I couldn't line up a date!

Custom-S, I will have you know I am going to be featured on a very special episode of "Pimp My Walker"... watch for it! :angry: :AH-HA_wink:

Bob, you poor thing... even I went to my Senior Prom with a lucky young lady. :P

Edited by ocnblu

I became a hairy beast very early and never had a skin issue.

P-C-S, you wear your hairiness like a "badge of honor" :AH-HA_wink:

Seriously, I can laugh at the acne era because I wound up with a really clean complexion since my mid-20s...so it's cool.

Edited by trinacriabob

There is a guy I used to work with that hates this movie. He is like 32 now and still single. I told him he should rent this movie and watch it with a date or something and he'd be guaranteed to score. He said he hates the movie so much he wouldn't care. I told him, 'that explains why you are and will forever be single'.

Well, is he both a geek and an architect, reg, that could explain a thing or two about his marital status?

:blink::huh::lol:How's your head this morning, reg?

ah, $h! blu....my head was fine this morning. i got up about 630 and drank some water and went back to bed and got up and even made 1030 church.

about 2 bottles last night and a bottle and a half the night before. had a headache after the first night but not today.

we recently made a big wine purchase and the rack was overflowing. when the rack is overflowing, you must partake. and thus i drank from the sweet bottles.

wine poop is nasty, though.....LOL between all the wine and pomegranet juice i drank this wkd, i think my antioxidants are taken care of for a while.

truth is, had i not fallen asleep last night, i would have drank another bottle. it was going down. funny what crosses your mind when you drink wine at home. anything from sheer relaxation to 'will my possibly bi-sexual ex coworker ever show me her rack if i get her drunk enough' to 'damn, i didn't realize there was this many channels on satellite'.......

Well, is he both a geek and an architect, reg, that could explain a thing or two about his marital status?

well, he is a tech only, and his continual lack of LTR relationship and pickiness with women are really making me start to wonder if......

as if the flashdance style apparel in one if his MS pics from his HS era doesn't make me wonder if.......

well, he is a tech only, and his continual lack of LTR relationship and pickiness with women are really making me start to wonder if......

as if the flashdance style apparel in one if his MS pics from his HS era doesn't make me wonder if.......

whoa...whoa...

if he, or anyone else, can objectively afford to be picky, then I would have an issue if they weren't somewhat picky. I've never set across the table from a single mom and picked up the tab...that's one of my big "issues" in life...to me single means "childless"...

what is an MS pic?

Look out, architect nerd dude! Reg has his eye on you! Is anything safe from The Love Bomb, aka regfootball? :AH-HA_wink:

this XY only likes the XX. nice try..lol but that guy, who knows, he might be an XY guy. He's had access to plenty of P. I'm begininning to wonder.........

but that guy, who knows, he might be an XY guy. He's had access to plenty of P. I'm begininning to wonder.........

so I take it he's decent looking...then, if he's had access to P of the recreational variety and he turned it down, something may be wrong. If he's had access to P of the entanglement variety, can you blame him?

That '57 Chevy is the best part of the movie!

So Bobby, you always seem to find something "wrong" with women. What's your story? :scratchchin:

Oh, boy, I knew it would come to this since ocnblu always looks for "clues" in people to increase his numbers. So, I will post my "list" again:

- single (or divorced or widowed) with NO kids - the kids are the ultimate dealbreaker

- degreed and has a job

- facially attractive, caucasian and feminine (Jamie Lee Curtis, for example, looks too butch)

- no weight problem

- wasn't sexually abused, so she has a healthy attitude toward sex

- (not necessary) bonus points: speaks another language besides English

Yep, if any of the first 5 are missing, then I consider it something "wrong" because, in the end, I wouldn't be happy. I would rather be alone than compromise. Most available women that are "looking" are missing at least 2 of those criteria and they complain "there are no good men around." Yeah, they just don't want YOU. The "sexually abused" category generally isn't looking...they're licking their wounds.

So, good luck finding it.

PB, sometimes you can be a jerk, as you've gone down this road with me before and, as a professional, I can afford to be a little more discrimating than you would be. But thanks for asking.

Edited by trinacriabob

all very valid criteria. most certainly. we all know there is plenty of trashy women out there.

yesterday presented a great example. although the subject matter is too sensitive that I would get killed if I broadcast it, bob I will PM you the details later tonight and you will have a great laugh.

Edited by regfootball

Thanks for really showing your colors in your 1:08 pm post, Bob. I don't have to say another word.

What true colors? That I'm selective? Maybe a little snobbish...if you want to call it that?

You've been hounding me on this topic for at least 2 years and this is a "public" forum. As someone who lives 3,000 miles away from me, you don't know me. It's more distasteful on your part, Bill. I don't make inferences about other members' personal lives, though I will comment on people outside of this forum. It's basic courtesy to keep it safewith the other members and have some respect for their feelings.

In fact, I can think of other times when you've confronted/suspected others on C&G as it pertains to your "favorite" theme. So I have no problem periodically "mowing you down" to reset boundaries, capisce?

- no weight problem

To many of us guys some weight is NOT a problem.

I would never pass up on a 125ls. girl if her sense

of humor, personality & all else was good, BUT if I

was given a choice I tend to go the BBW route.

Something about curves, I love my wonen with

plenty of curves same as I like my race tracks full

of dangerous alternating curves & not just one big

oval with tall banks where there is only four turns

and they're all left.

Never generalize. There's plenty of girls out there

who have never been abused but suck in bed and

vice-versa. I'm not at liberty to get into details for

obvious reasons but a little patience goes a LONG

way if you're w/ a girl that has abuse in her past.

Never generalize. There's plenty of girls out there who have never been abused but suck in bed and vice-versa. I'm not at liberty to get into details for

obvious reasons but a little patience goes a LONG way if you're w/ a girl that has abuse in her past.

Ok, the latter one can be "worked on" but there's no guarantee of success. Some have gotten over it. Others haven't. One of my really good friends, an engineer in his early 40s, is married to a woman who was a victim of incest. Their marriage has stayed afloat and they have 2 kids, but there is a lot of dysfunction in the family -- I can't believe some of the stuff he tells me about what's going on in his household when we meet for lunch.

As for the previous items, it's all about taste...and that's a matter of individuality.

That has been your historic weakness, Bob, as far as your online persona here at C&G (which is all I know of you, of course). You stereotype everyone. And it is wrong of you to do so. You honestly come across as selfish and misogynistic in your endless loop of rants about women. If you behave this way in realtime... no wonder you haven't found a wife to put up with your "high" standards. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I didn't marry an Italian woman like my grandmother wanted me to, the hairy backs turned me off! :P

Just think of how hairy your kids would have been - exponential !

Rethink the comment, though, as you're well traveled. I had this discussion with my cousins who live in Italy. We were talking about who are the most attractive women in Europe.

They said the French and then the Italians. I generally am not fond of French arrogance and neither are they, but I will have to say the French are an attractive people - a nice blending point between the polarities of Northern European and Southern European features. The Italians follow close behind for the same reason. That isn't to say that other Europeans aren't attractive, it just doesn't seem to be as uniformly distributed elsewhere on "the Continent."

Also, P-C-S, there are NO hairy women in Italy (smettela! <_< )....at least not now. That was in another lifetime and the basis of a lot of jokes! But when Americans go over there, they walk around with their mouths open.

Edited by trinacriabob

Well when I was dating, I prefered Northern European woman, in particular, German, Swedish and Irish. Any woman I dated had to have blonde hair, blue eyes and a brain. It's just what turns me on! My wife is 100% Irish and has blonde hair, blue eyes and a brain, and many other attributes to my liking. But I digress and won't go into more detail here! :smilewide:

Any woman I dated had to have blonde hair, blue eyes and a brain. It's just what turns me on! My wife is 100% Irish and has blonde hair, blue eyes and a brain

See, people have a checklist, even our own P-C-S. People are entitled, including the "brain and degree" part of the equation. Women have checklists for men. I know...I've had to listen to them.

Custom-S' list is much "nicer" than yours, as they entail a physical type and general mental acuity. Yours is just the epitome of pomposity. Your list should make women run in the other direction. Don't get mad, I'm trying to be your very own Dr. Ruth Westheimer.

- single (or divorced or widowed) with NO kids - the kids are the ultimate dealbreaker

- degreed and has a job

- facially attractive, caucasian and feminine (Jamie Lee Curtis, for example, looks too butch)

- no weight problem

- (not necessary) bonus points: speaks another language besides English

Man, preferences are one thing, but that's crazy. . . unless you're just looking for excuses to not have a relationship.

Man, preferences are one thing, but that's crazy. . . unless you're just looking for excuses to not have a relationship.

My list ISN'T much different from Pontiac's, he just didn't expand his criteria into separate bullet points.

- I'm single and don't have any kids

- I am educated and do professional level work

- I get decent feedback on my appearance and behave in a way that is "gender appropriate," not to the point of slugging down beers at a softball game, though, if that's what it takes to be masculine

- I am 10 lbs. over my ideal weight; I was on my way to the gym when I saw this response

- I was NOT sexually abused, don't have a problem with affection or weird "flashbacks"

Why does the "no kids" stuff bother people? This is the only item that is really different from Pontiac's. That's right, we live in a society of disposable relationships and very few of us can claim "nuclear families." My parents stayed together. And, most of my friends who married someone they met in college who was their "equal", are still married...and that was in L.A., for God's sake. Since I've never had kids, I am not in the least bit interested in someone else's kids. Not in the least bit. People nowadays are desentized to this traditional value. When I was working (until right around March), people would say "Why don't you date so and so in the office?" or "Why don't you take so and so to the Christmas party?" It was always someone with younger kids and a messy divorce. I said nothing to avoid any backlash, having learned my lesson from an office experience like that in the Seattle area where I was more candid. Why is that so 'effin bothersome that I have this stipulation?

You know, women who fit this list (the language bullet point is superfluous since I've always dated first-generation "whatever nationality" women,it just happened that way) DO exist. They have regular jobs with their degrees...working at "the State" or wherever...and they are rebuffing not only my interest, but that of every other guy, almost all of them professional, normal and decent looking as far as I can tell. They are more chronically single than I could ever be.

How this thread evolved from Dirty Dancing to "my list," I'll never know.

Edited by trinacriabob

Your list should make women run in the other direction. Don't get mad, I'm trying to be your very own Dr. Ruth Westheimer.

My list has NEVER been described to women and, after an office manager chick at a firm in Seattle liked me and I told some of the guys why I couldn't reciprocate, I'll never do that again.

If they're not chicks who have a minimum level of education or they have kids, I'm always polite and keep them at a social distance, meaning I joke around with them or go to lunch with them in groups, but that's it. You know these attributes right away and can decide to keep them at "arms length" rather than hurt their feelings. What would be the point in that?

See, people have a checklist, even our own P-C-S. People are entitled, including the "brain and degree" part of the equation. Women have checklists for men. I know...I've had to listen to them.

you mean like 200k annual salary, well to do but almost dead parents, and a 2 carat rock?

let's not kid ourselves. women are the masters of being selective. I again refer to my now ex coworker who is GORGEOUS and gets along tremendous with men. Women hate her because men drool at her sight. She can pick her dates at will more or less. But she's holding out for a doctor or something of that ilk. Regardless of if she loves him or not, somewhat seemingly. She even said to me 'looks don't matter'.

HEY this thread really veered!

JUST HOOKED UP MY APPLE TV! thing is THE BOMB! first movie I bought on line? DIRTY DANCING.

f-cking device rocks! it's an awesome consumer product. I wish GM's products were as insanely good.

re: plumpers....there is one at work lately who hovers near my cube because she is on a cube neighbors project team. OK, she's not fat. Just wide. Very nice and thick. wears KILLER perfume every day that gets blown all over by my desk fan......I'd hit that, if I could. 2-300 times. Weight is not always a problem, sometimes its just how its worn.

Same could be said about me...LOL

and has been I'm sure.

The abused ones though, Bob does have a point. If there are some deep mental scars you REALLY gotta love the person a lot to bear those burdens they have. And they don't show up right away. It can sometimes take years for some &#036;h&#33; to surface and really start to deteriorate a relationship. I think all Bob is saying is if there are some things you can pick and choose (and I know you can't always) about your mate, that is one thing you can do without if possible. I can't fault him for not wanting to deal with that. Flip side of that is if you meet someone who blows you away and that comes with them, you have to buck up and be ready for whatever goes with it.

I have a friend who married a woman who has MAJOR psychological scars from some incident in her past. I do not know if it is sexually related, but it is parental of nature. It affects the woman and my friend every day of their relationship. She can't, and probably cannot be expected to, ever deal with it. But their marraige is entirely unhealthy because of it. Maybe it's a bad pairing. My point it, if the realtionship is forever strained then it makes sense a lot of what Bob is saying.

Edited by regfootball

you mean like 200k annual salary, well to do but almost dead parents, and a 2 carat rock?

let's not kid ourselves. women are the masters of being selective. The abused ones though, Bob does have a point. If there are some deep mental scars you REALLY gotta love the person a lot to bear those burdens they have. And they don't show up right away. It can sometimes take years for some &#036;h&#33; to surface and really start to deteriorate a relationship. I think all Bob is saying is if there are some things you can pick and choose (and I know you can't always) about your mate, that is one thing you can do without if possible. I can't fault him for not wanting to deal with that. Flip side of that is if you meet someone who blows you away and that comes with them, you have to buck up and be ready for whatever goes with it.

I have a friend who married a woman who has MAJOR psychological scars from some incident in her past. I do not know if it is sexually related, but it is parental of nature. It affects the woman and my friend every day of their relationship. She can't, and probably cannot be expected to, ever deal with it. But their marraige is entirely unhealthy because of it. Maybe it's a bad pairing. My point it, if the realtionship is forever strained then it makes sense a lot of what Bob is saying.

Women are indeed masters of being selective. Some will not date anyone under 6'-0". I'm 5'-10". I knew one chick in ATL who wanted a corporate mucky-muck so she "could entertain." The guy she ended up marrying is a middle management dweeb who wouldn't be put near a client if his life depended on it. There was a singles ad someone pointed out to me where a chick required an income of $ 150,000. Of course, that's what she made as well as a sales exec. But, hypothetically, if you make $150 K and he made $95 K, but he had everything else, you mean you'd have a &#036;h&#33;ty life?

All I was saying is that I would only consider my "equal." I'm wondering if those who bristle at the educational requirement (a bachelor's degree in ANYTHING and with ANY grades, for God's sake) or my "nuclear family" thing for no previous kids do so because they themselves feel slighted in some way. :scratchchin:

Women are indeed masters of being selective. Some will not date anyone under 6'-0". I'm 5'-10". I knew one chick in ATL who wanted a corporate mucky-muck so she "could entertain." The guy she ended up marrying is a middle management dweeb who wouldn't be put near a client if his life depended on it. There was a singles ad someone pointed out to me where a chick required an income of $ 150,000. Of course, that's what she made as well as a sales exec. But, hypothetically, if you make $150 K and he made $95 K, but he had everything else, you mean you'd have a &#036;h&#33;ty life?

All I was saying is that I would only consider my "equal." I'm wondering if those who bristle at the educational requirement (a bachelor's degree in ANYTHING and with ANY grades, for God's sake) or my "nuclear family" thing for no previous kids do so because they themselves feel slighted in some way. :scratchchin:

if you were a stuck up bitch who's *ahem* didn't stink........yes, they would consider that a &#036;h&#33;ty life. oddly. and some folks work for 8 bucks and hour and still find love.

'he said we gotta hold on to what we've got it doesn't make a difference if we're naked or not we've got each other and that's a lot, for looooooveeeee, we'll give it a shot'

Oh, boy, I knew it would come to this since ocnblu always looks for "clues" in people to increase his numbers. So, I will post my "list" again:

- no weight problem

These are two big ones for me...maybe it's because I myself am thin, but if there's a beefiness to the arms or hips, I'm not that interested. Also, if they have a nice body but an homely face, instant no. I like girls that are fit or at least try to stay healthy, but I'm not a fan of the ones that are healthfood nuts or extremely athletic. And they have to be a "girly" girl...no tomboys. Also not a fan of the really independent ones...the types that are single and pissed all they time because they "don't need a man." But I also don't like the ones that cling to you 24/7 and don't give you any room to breathe or get emotional easily, especially the "look at me" attention-seeking types that you see on myspace.

But they have to have a personality too...if they're just a good looking shell with nothing inside, see ya.