NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

General Motors Investing $63M in Plant

14 posts in this topic

General Motors Investing $63M in Plant

Associated Press 05.15.07, 1:35 PM ET

Auto maker General Motors Corp. said Tuesday it will invest $63 million to renovate its Saginaw, Mich. casting plant, including installing new tools and machinery that can create cylinder heads for 3.6 liter high-feature V-6 engines using a new semi-permanent mold process.

The project will require about 130 hourly workers.

The Saginaw facility is General Motors (nyse: GM - news - people )' largest aluminum producing plant with 924 hourly and 167 salaried employees.

Construction is expected to start in spring 2009, with completion set for January 2011.

Shares of General Motors added $1.31, or 4.3 percent, to $31.93 in afternoon trading. The stock has been trading in a 52-week range of $23.71 to $37.24. Earlier Tuesday, a Lehman Brothers (nyse: LEH - news - people ) analyst lifted his rating on the stock, saying the sale of Chrysler to private equity investors, along with GM's disappointing first-quarter results, could bode well for the nation's largest carmaker in its upcoming labor negotiations.

hm. interesting, that does seem late-short term ....

think it's going to be for wide spread 3.6L DI engines, or more expansion of other engines?

the time table looks shacky , because of possible EPA/CAFE regulations that could shaft it.

So they're increasing production of the HFV6, does that means more applications, after moving them to the Epsilons?

$63 million is chump change. If GM isn't investing $100 milliion+ into a plant, they're not investing very much. Unfortunately, this "renovation" is most likely just to keep the plant in decent running order for the few more years that they're probably going to have it open.

Complete tangent: I'm now imagining that someone at some point probably held up a picket sign that said, "Flower Plant, NOT Power Plant".

Anyway, more 3.6s is a very good thing. Add DI, hybrid functionality, the new and improved alternator that can shut off and turn on the engine... That's pretty much how we'll meet proposed future CAFE standards.

Also, we should not so much concentrate on making engines more powerful, but instead making them more fuel efficient. We can get almost 300 horsepower out of a 2.0 liter engine. What the hell more do we need?

Don't forget that the 5 cylinder is going to Flint too, the 6 and the 5 will be under one roof now.

Good question, I don't even know that. I do know that all the development on it is done for good. Thats just what I heard so you never know.

Are they keeping the Atlas 6 after the TB/Envoy dies?

Where will they find its application?

I think it is one of the best I-6 in the industry. GM should not give up on it.

What will be its implications if they detune it to about 250 hp and put it in the GMT 900's?

There is a God. It's about time General Motors put some money into motors. How long were they going to use those 3800's.

I would like to see what the plan on doing with the I-4's next.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor