Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Gas boycott

Apparently yesterday was national gas boycott day. Apparently people are dumb enough to believe that if nobody bought gas on May 15th then prices would go down significantly. I went off on an acquaintance about this today, as she insisted it would work and I insisted that the laws of supply and demand say it wont happen. Things like this make me hate the internet, just a way for morons to get other morons to believe crap that anyone who has taken Econ 101 would know is false.

And the funny thing is, they probably filled up on either Monday or this morning because they were boycotting gas yesterday. Idiots - there's a reason why incest is wrong.

You know what would be smart? If they circulated an e-mail forward encouraging people to find a carpool or bus to work on a certain day. But that would require people to change their habits.... and we know that ain't happening.

You know what would be smart? If they circulated an e-mail forward encouraging people to find a carpool or bus to work on a certain day. But that would require people to change their habits.... and we know that ain't happening.

Shortsighted Sheeplings do not THINK.

Things like this make me hate the internet, just a way for morons to get other morons to believe crap that anyone who has taken Econ 101 would know is false.

College has nothing to do w/ it. Even if you didn't graduate High School

it stands to reason that the day BEFORE & AFTER is when all that "lost"

profit is made up for. People's cars will not run on hopes & dreams. :rolleyes:

I got the same lame a$$ed mass email too from some ex-girlfriend.

Edited by Sixty8panther

The people MySpacing you about the gas boycott are the same people who drive 5 miles to Panera for a $6.50 lousy sandwich, another 3 miles to Starbucks for a lousy $4.99 doucheacino, and another 10 miles to The Limited to window shop.

or you boycott one entire company like Exxon for a year then they wont be posting record profits. Then i think that will send a better message because i think the other company's won't want that to happen to them.

I understand supply is somewhat limited from what it used to be. and i understand inflation. but if your making 300+ billion in profits somewhere down the line where getting raped.

Let's see: people boycott gas on day 1, yet have no plan to reduce consumption in the long haul. Demand for gas goes up significantly on days 2 and 3. Smart, internet-savvy oil company maybe raises gas prices after day 1, knowing that people will have no choice (realistically, because people only want grand hollow gestures, not real change) but to buy the gas at a higher price. Oil company laughs all the way to the bank.

Jeez, ya wonder if the oil companies might be the ones behind these annoying emails?

The people MySpacing you about the gas boycott are the same people who drive 5 miles to Panera for a $6.50 lousy sandwich, another 3 miles to Starbucks for a lousy $4.99 doucheacino, and another 10 miles to The Limited to window shop.

There's nothing wrong with that, it IS a free country but

you're right most of these jackasses are inept at life in

thier hypocracy & lack of focus.

Panara is AWSOME, closest thing to REAL bread this side

of the Atlantic ocean, American "white" bread is gross.

Starbucks on the other hand is pretentious & lame.

Now as far as the Aveo it's just some $h!ty econobox but

it IS still a million times more car than the Prius. The real

disgusting thing about the Prius is how it is adertized as

earth day on wheels but the truth is uglier than the greasy

sludge clogging up my neighbor's Lexus' RX motor.

My girlfriend and I were talking about ths. It's so idiotic. These people don't have the foresight to see that 1.) A day won't make a difference because they'll end up refeuling the day after or they did just prior...so the profits are made up. 2.) Even if it made an impact the oil companies would just increase teh prices to make up teh difference. 3.) Instead of boycotting fueling up your stupid Suburban that you rarely use for people hauling or towing and get a Cobalt, a Golf, or whatever.

Boycotting one company is an idea though...

Also, the justification of inflation and low supply is BS because in the Middle East they pay like 50 cents a gallon.

Panara is AWSOME, closest thing to REAL bread this side

of the Atlantic ocean, American "white" bread is gross.

The bread is fine, but the portions for the sandwiches suck. Schlotsky's was similarly pricy, but you got what you paid for.

or you boycott one entire company like Exxon for a year then they wont be posting record profits. Then i think that will send a better message because i think the other company's won't want that to happen to them.

If we all actually buckled down and did it, it would work.

But it's not that easy to organize people to boycott a multi-billion dollar corporation that has enough money to buy out the country several times over.

Is anyone getting to the breaking point yet with gas prices? I have a pretty long commute to work, and I can't afford to drop my truck and buy a gas sipper car. I mean what other choices do I have except to stay home everyday after I get home from work.

Well, you could take a bike to work, but if it's already a long commute, it will be even longer and much sweatier on a bicycle. Also, that assumes you're physically fit enough to ride a bike for several miles.

Alternatively, you could use your car for commuting and go places by bike rather than stay home. You might not necessarily be able to grocery shop by bike, but you can still use a backpack to bring things around.

It's really hard to give up the car when it's sitting right there in your driveway, though. Even after all this talk, I still haven't rode a bike long distance in years.

That would be a helluva commute on a bicycle to work. I think I would have to leave at 3am and bring oxygen with me just in case. Do you think they would allow a horse on the freeway...LOL.

I could imagine us going back to horses, just because it would be rather comical.

However, I think the economies have changed so drastically in the past 100 years that it now costs more to maintain a horse than it does to maintain a car. If someone has the time to prove this true or false, I'd love to see the numbers involved.

The problem is everyone would still find a way to be a bad drivers, or in this case a bad riders...LOL. I was just discussing on another forum that I'm reconsidering going up north this weekend for the holiday for two reasons (1) gas will probably go up to $4 a gallon just because it's a holiday, and (2) the weather forecast looks crappy. Those two reasons alone I'm sorry to say will probably keep me at home.

I'm kinda surprised with this last jump in gas..it runs anywhere around here from 3.57-3.85 for 87..

And on top of that-they think we could see a 20-30 jump in price in the next few weeks... :censored:

Gas prices aren't hurting me too bad yet...I am thankful I own Cavaliers at the moment....

THough as of this week-it looks like these prices could cost me my job by the end of the month because of the slowdown....

One way or another it will get you.

You can't boycott a single company cause they will just sell their refined product to another gas company to make up the added demand on the other companies. Right now we can't make as much fuel as we use cause oil companies would rather spend money on "exploration" rather then increasing production capacity.

Just think, here are the major oil refiners in america

Exxon/Mobil

Chevron/Texaco

Conoco/Philips/76

BP/Amaco/Arco

Valero/Diamond Shamrock

Less major players

Sinclar

Sunoco

Marathon

Lukoil

Citgo

Most companies get their gas from one of the top five here even if they have a diffrent logo on their gas station. It just may not have the extra stuff put in it like Techron or Pro Power or whatever.

You can't boycott a single company cause they will just sell their refined product to another gas company to make up the added demand on the other companies.

Bah! It's no-win.

Maybe I'll just join em instead and buy up some Exxon stock.

(Nevermind: it looks like they're at their 52-week high at the moment.)

Edited by aaaantoine

You can't boycott a single company cause they will just sell their refined product to another gas company to make up the added demand on the other companies. Right now we can't make as much fuel as we use cause oil companies would rather spend money on "exploration" rather then increasing production capacity.

Just think, here are the major oil refiners in america

Exxon/Mobil

Chevron/Texaco

Conoco/Philips/76

BP/Amaco/Arco

Valero/Diamond Shamrock

Less major players

Sinclar

Sunoco

Marathon

Lukoil

Citgo

Most companies get their gas from one of the top five here even if they have a diffrent logo on their gas station. It just may not have the extra stuff put in it like Techron or Pro Power or whatever.

Yep, one way or another-they own us. :censored:

blah... $50 for a half tank of gas is a little ridiculous. I paid 3.34 yesterday filled all my cars up cost about $200 to fill up my cars. thats almost half of the average person's paycheck. I have notice tho I drive almost 70 miles less a week. I walk up to the store to get a roll of paper towel and stuff like that. Everybody but the gas companies are hurting from this. Restaurant's are dead. The Mall Parking lot is empty.

Yeah, even though the Impala gets 30 on the hwy, and I do have a 15-mile commute into work, I'm looking at in about 2 months when we move further south of where we are, it'll turn my 15-mile commute into about a 50 mile commute, which is also why I'm looking at a motorcycle, since all I have to carry to work is me, and maybe a raincoat.

Maybe consider a propane retrofit? Providing you want to sacrifice bed space for tanks.

I saw a HEMI Dodge Ram with the conversion a couple days ago.

I saw a bio fuel powered mid 90's E300 Diesel the other day. Pretty cool. Gave off a very distinct vegetable oil smell though. :lol:

Bunch of whiners, try driving a V8 400hp car 36 miles one way to work everyday like I do. It's actually not too bad on gas, I'm getting around 20mpg combined, and I could get about 24-25 if I set the cruise at 70-75mph. That, and gas is still around $3.07 here, or since I put premium it's $3.27.

I also just started carpooling, so that dropped my gas cost to half what it was.

...Citgo...

Or we could boycott Citgo simply because it's a subsidary of a country that's controlled by an anti-American regime. As for the others, they're just fulfilling their obligations to make as much profit as possible for shareholders [at our displeasure].

Edited by Hollingsworth

Umm, Caddy, I DID drive something like that back and forth to work for a while....except it only got EIGHT miles per gallon....

Well, I wasn't serious. Gas costs aren't hurting me too bad. If anything, my habits are what cost me the most. Eating out, joyriding, and putting the occasional car that thinks it's fast in it's place :AH-HA_wink: