Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

1992 Oldsmobile Toronado engine swap to a 3800 Series II V6

8 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone. I recently bought a 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado( December 2006). I have been driving it until recently. The reason is the engine was not taken care of by the previous owner. The head gaskets are gone and other things are wrong with the engine.

I was just going to get another 3800 Series I( 170 hp) and put it in the car. Someone suggested to me to do something. I said no, I could not.

I will list in detail what I want to do. Could any of you tell me what needs to be done. I am not doing the swap. My mechanic is. If he cannot, I might need to know someone here locally who could do the swap.

I also have a 1995 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency. I like the car! It is fantastic. I also like the gas mileage I get and ease of operation.

What I need to know is:

What do I need to buy or save up for to swap the 3800 Series II into a 1992 Oldsmobile Toronado. The gearshift is on the steering wheel. It was a rare option for that year.

I know I will need the engine. I bought a ECM or PCM when I thought my Ninety Eight was having trouble. It is here in the house on the floor.

So I appreciate all the information I will need in the parts I will need to make this work.

If you're going to do a swap of this type, why not swap in a S/C 3800 instead?

I do not want the Supercharged engine. I do not want it for fuel economy reasons, plus I know you have to use premium fuel, and I wanted the parts to be as common as possible between my Ninety Eight and Toronado for cost reasons.

I like the 3800 Supercharged, but my Toronado does not have bucket seats and floor shifter. It is more of a luxury Toronado( Toronado Brougham)

I want it to be as luxurious as possible the Oldsmobile way..

:)

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

That looooong sleek body would look fantastic on a S-10 frame like that

Tunned-Port 350 powered Alero I posted from the Oldsmobile show...

just throw in an LS2 & you're DONE. Better yet, an old Rocket 350 with

a big 700cfm carb and headers will do the trick. :wink:

That looooong sleek body would look fantastic on a S-10 frame like that

Tunned-Port 350 powered Alero I posted from the Oldsmobile show...

just throw in an LS2 & you're DONE. Better yet, an old Rocket 350 with

a big 700cfm carb and headers will do the trick. wink.gif

I appreciate your thoughts Sixty Eight. You know what you wrote is not going to happen.

:)

I think I'm going to need 76's help here... :thumbsup:

I would say not too much. I'm thinking you would need a new computer in there for the series II, but I can't see why that baby wouldn't just bolt right in there.

There weren't a crazy amount of differences there...I can't see why it would not work.

Well.. the dream died as quickly as it started. I contacted my mechanic and the engine place and researched online. It can be done, but there are too many things that would have to be converted over. It is not just bolt in. The ecm and pcm and bcm all have to match up to connect. The wiring harness has to be changed. The transmission and everything else is okay.

GM really changed that engine from year to year. Even though they are all 3800's they are not like each other.

I also would need other parts from the 3800 Series II like the intake cover and a few other items.

So... sadly, I have to stick with what I have and get another 3800 Series I.

Thank you for your help.

If you're going to do a swap of this type, why not swap in a S/C 3800 instead?

I apologize.. I did not realize until today after I talked to the engine shop what you were saying. What you were saying is.. If you are going to do that swap, why not put the 3800 that was in production that year in your car?

It would be nice, but as I found out today the transmissions are not the same and the computer( one of them is different for that year). It is bolt in for that year.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0