Chrysler Imperial one step closer to production

• 2 weeks later...

Re: the Imperial, concept or otherwise. I think it's a good idea, but only if - 1) it doesn't steal production capacity that could be better used for Chargers or 300s, and 2) it's got the interior and build quality to absolutely blow Cadillac and Lincoln out of the water. As a "comeback" car for a newly-deshackled Chrysler Corporation (that is, one that isn't constantly being told by Mercedes-Benz to "take it down a notch"), the Imperial would be very cool. That being said, I do agree about the lack of proper heritage elements in the design, especially the eagle badge.

Now, re: Plymouth. There's definitely a place for Plymouth, because it would allow both Dodge and (to a greater extent) Chrysler to go upscale again. There is absolutely no reason that Chrysler should have been made to sell both the bargain-basement PT Cruiser and the plush 300C in the same dealership. And with ChryCo now serving as America's sole purveyor of real minivans, who would argue against letting a new Plymouth Voyager take over the low-price slot of the outgoing Uplander or Freestar? And if Dodge would rather sell Calibers - a dumb decision, I think, but there you go - let Plymouth sell Neons to value-conscious buyers.

Further re: the Firepower. With the extra tooling and investment that would no doubt be required to get that one off the ground, I'd say wait a while and let the mainstream products pick up more steam first before giving Chrysler something that ultimately would compete with the upcoming Challenger.

Love this forum, by the way. Many reasoned opinions and a nice, wide variety of viewpoints with very little name-calling. I like that! :D

Edited by Duncan

I agree.... a highly RETRO 50s or 60s style Imperial would be fantastic!

Thanks, jerk! :lol: j/k

Heh. That's the welcome I should have expected...! :P

Good to be here regardless. :D

Not at all... Two entirely different designs.

Welcome. Nice 626... You should check out my Millenia. :P

I just did - posted in your Millenia love-fest thread, too. :D

• 1 month later...

I think the Imperial Concept is hideous and another serious mistake for the Chrysler Corporation. Chrysler needs a lot of things to get it out of its current slump; unfortunately, this is not the vehicle to fix the situation. Offering the public an affordable version of a Rolls Royce or Bentley will not change the fact that quite a bit of their current lineup is not competitive. I would like to see more Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles out on the road instead of their foreign competitors' products, but the sad reality is the company does not seem to know what direction to take to be either competitive or relevant. Chrysler needs to fix their bread and butter products before offering a product in the luxury class; a class that most people don't perceive the Chrysler brand to belong to anymore. When the company finally learns that the majority of the buying public does not want to spend their hard earned dollars on subpar interiors, outdated transmissions, and unrefined engines, then they might start to take some actions to turn their fortunes around (the disfigured lump of metal known as the Imperial Concept will not accomplish this).

I believe if Chrysler could fix some of the problems listed above, I think it could eventually be a viable competitor in the near luxury field. I am not sure the buying public would ever completely accept the brand as a full scale luxury automobile brand again. If this line of thought is true, then the Imperial Concept does not belong in the Chrysler lineup. I do believe that if the corporation can fix their current brands (Dodge, Jeep, and Chrysler) and give them distinct identities, purposes, positioning, and competitive products, then maybe it could launch Imperial as a separate luxury brand in the future.