Pentastar's BACK!

The old Chrysler logo is BACK!

From Autoblog:

In order to celebrate its new found freedom after being divorced from DaimlerChrysler AG, the newly minted Chrysler Corp. will ditch its current winged logo and return to the famous Pentastar logo. The Detroit Free Press is reporting that a senior executive has already emailed some Chrysler employees about the switch back to the old logo after learning about it in a meeting Monday night with veeps and senior management. In addition, the Pentastar will get a redesign to update its look.

Apparently this email from a senior exec included a few interesting tidbits, including that Cerberus CEO Stephen Feinberg regrets naming his company after the mythological three-headed dog that guards the gates of Hell. We also learn that Feinberg owns Ford and Chevy pickups, which he plans to quickly trade in for a Dodge Ram. He might want to keep them around for benchmarking purposes, though.

I like the Pentastar as a corporate logo, but prefer the winged ribbon & crest for Chrysler's divisional logo, same as the Ram for Dodge and the distinctive "Jeep" lettering for Jeep.

I like the Pentastar as a corporate logo, but prefer the winged ribbon & crest for Chrysler's divisional logo, same as the Ram for Dodge and the distinctive "Jeep" lettering for Jeep.

Agreed, the Pentastar should be the equivelant of the GM logo...

stamp it on the valvecovers & put it on the fuse panel cover and

what not but keep the winged logo for Chrysler cars. That logo

has NOTING to do with Mercedes benz BTW, it is a highly RETRO

logo, it was resurected around the time of the Plymouth demise.

yep

The Pentastar emblem -- to me -- symbolizes an era of absolute blandness in the Chrysler lineup. I say this mainly because it was the only emblem put on cars in the family (aside from Jeep's) throughout the 80s and early 90s, a time period I'd rather not be reminded of when thinking of Chrysler.

(Fixed for clarity)

Edited by aaaantoine

I agree... to my generation pentestar = K-cars.

The Pentstar needs to be the corporate logo. Divisional logos should be untouched.

I also like that they're actually celebrating their freedom from DaimlerBenz. Maybe when the sale is complete, they'll give DB the finger and resurrect Plymouth.

Edited by AxelTheRed

The Pentastar emblem -- to me -- symbolizes an era of absolute blandness in the Chrysler lineup. I say this mainly because it was the only emblem put on cars in the family (aside from Jeep's) throughout the 80s and early 90s, a time period I'd rather not be reminded of when thinking of Chrysler.

(Fixed for clarity)

For an old fart like me, chrylser was more competative then than now.

The pentastar brings back memories of riding to work with my uncle when I was 15 in his 1983 Aries coupe ...rattling dash, clunky motor, drooping headliner, and it had to be coasted down the hill a couple times because the engine died. I'm sure thousands of Americans have had similar experiences.

I hope it is used as a corporate logo only, because the current Chrysler logo is very attractive, IMO.

The pentastar brings back memories of riding to work with my uncle when I was 15 in his 1983 Aries coupe ...rattling dash, clunky motor, drooping headliner, and it had to be coasted down the hill a couple times because the engine died. I'm sure thousands of Americans have had similar experiences.

I hope it is used as a corporate logo only, because the current Chrysler logo is very attractive, IMO.

Hmmm....

... how about 5 large men, 17/18 years old (one is an adult), driver's ed, in the middle of the summer, packed, Dodge Aries, a/c, trying to get onto the Northern State Parkway (it has about 20 feet entrance ramps to get up to speed). The thing didn't move. Made a lot of noise though. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by Paolino

Brings back memories if riding in my grandma's old 80-something chrysler Lebaron ragtop...(I never saw the top down on that thing now that I think about it). I just remember always getting a kick out of the interior with the digital dash and the guy that would talk to you and tell you the door was ajar... :lol:

(Fixed for clarity)

Maybe boring to you, but alot of these cars were kicking some V8 ass with their turbo 4's, all while getting great gas mileage too:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hmmm....

... how about 5 large men, 17/18 years old (one is an adult), driver's ed, in the middle of the summer, packed, Dodge Aries, a/c, trying to get onto the Northern State Parkway (it has about 20 feet entrance ramps to get up to speed). The thing didn't move. Made a lot of noise though. :AH-HA_wink:

Hey, at least on the Northern State you didn't have to worry about merging into traffic with commercial trucks. That would scare the crap out of a student driver.

Maybe boring to you, but alot of these cars were kicking some V8 ass with their turbo 4's, all while getting great gas mileage too:

*shows five different cars from three different brands with one consistent logo*

Which brings up the other reason I don't like the Pentastar. All of the cars were lumped under a single identity because Chrysler Co. didn't feel the need to give each brand its own image. In the pictures you posted, I can barely tell which car is a Chrysler, which car is a Dodge, and which car is a Plymouth.

If they want to bring it back, fine. But at most, the logo should be stamped on the fenders of the corporate vehicles. I'm not really a fan of that idea, either, but some companies *cough* :gm_logo: like to do it, I guess.

How on earth would they update the pentastar? In commecials they could computerize it or whatever, but on the cars its basically gonna be the same thng... a friggin pentagon with a bunch of lines *retards*!

I just dont think it should be on any Chryslers. If anything, they need to put it instead of the Dodge logo... I mean, when i think ram, a think " oooh a mammal that chews cud" not " Damn! That's a tight whip!" Maybe on the trucks, but bighorn sheep dont stir emotion!

Maybe the pentastar would work. They do have gun like names, and I always think of a targeting reticle when i see the pentastar... They would probably make it an ornament if they took that approach... :puke:

Which brings up the other reason I don't like the Pentastar. All of the cars were lumped under a single identity because Chrysler Co. didn't feel the need to give each brand its own image. In the pictures you posted, I can barely tell which car is a Chrysler, which car is a Dodge, and which car is a Plymouth.

If they want to bring it back, fine. But at most, the logo should be stamped on the fenders of the corporate vehicles. I'm not really a fan of that idea, either, but some companies *cough* :gm_logo: like to do it, I guess.

Yea they should use it ONLY as a CORPORATE LOGO. Let the brands keep their identity. I couldn't imagine a Ram with a pentastar plastered on the front of the grille...

Same here...I remember mistaking Acclaims for Spirits, Voyagers for Caravans, and Aries for Reliants. It was literally a grill swap and maybe different tailights...you pretty much have to be a die-hard MOPAR enthusiast to easily tell the two apart on the street.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Same here...I remember mistaking Acclaims for Spirits, Voyagers for Caravans, and Aries for Reliants. It was literally a grill swap and maybe different tailights...you pretty much have to be a die-hard MOPAR enthusiast to easily tell the two apart on the street.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh I know what you mean mustang84, just like this car looks the same except for the grille and maybe different taillights, maybe not! :rotflmao:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh I know what you mean mustang84, just like this car looks the same except for the grille and maybe different taillights, maybe not! :rotflmao:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The thing with the VE's, though, is that there will be no market where the Lumina, G8, and Commodore will be sold side-by-side.

Brings back memories if riding in my grandma's old 80-something chrysler Lebaron ragtop...(I never saw the top down on that thing now that I think about it). I just remember always getting a kick out of the interior with the digital dash and the guy that would talk to you and tell you the door was ajar... :lol:

"The door is ajar." "The trunk is ajar." "Wiper fluid is low." God I hated that damn thing.

Hey, at least on the Northern State you didn't have to worry about merging into traffic with commercial trucks. That would scare the crap out of a student driver.

Well, it was still kinda scary--my moronic teacher had us drive the first day of class down the tight streets in the town of East Northport.

Not yet! As soon as Chevy and Buick get a version of it here there will be huh?

Everything that I've read points to a uniquely-styled Impala, one that is only similar to the G8/Commodore/Lumina in its underpinnings. I have a feeling that if the next Impala is simply another re-grilled Commodore, we would've seen it by now, maybe even before the G8.

But back to the Pentastar, I remember it along with the obscenely annoying door ajar buzzer from our '87 Ram Van...somewhat fond memories. It never left us stranded until it turned 15 in 2002, and it's still running as a cargo van at my parents' construction company.

Cool. I think it would be hard to update the Pentatstar anyway, but as long as Chrysler Corporation (it feels good to say that) maintains the identities and emblems of the divisions as they are now, then there ought to be nothing to worry about.

Use the Pentastar as the corporate logo only. I always did like the Pentastar, and remember: FIVE is greater than Three!

Cool. I think it would be hard to update the Pentatstar anyway, but as long as Chrysler Corporation (it feels good to say that) maintains the identities and emblems of the divisions as they are now, then there ought to be nothing to worry about.

Use the Pentastar as the corporate logo only. I always did like the Pentastar, and remember: FIVE is greater than Three!

RThat means you should bring your avatar back :AH-HA_wink:

Agreed with everyone who stated to the effect of it being a corporate umbella logo and not a brand badge. I like the Chrysler winged ribbon and mean red ram on Dodges. What also needs to continue is the lessening of brand engineering in favor of distinctive looking vehicles for each brand. Ain't that right, GM and Ford?

Those old turbo 80s K's look kinda intresting today. Too bad people didn't take great care of them. I've wanted a 2.2 turbo Lancer with a stick for a while now.

Yes turbo-4 Mopars are fast little suckers....

NO they did NOT get great fuel economy. Even the modern SRT4

gets about 13mpg in the real world driven by a car guy... even

less if it has the stage II injectors and all that crap.

• 2 weeks later...

RThat means you should bring your avatar back :AH-HA_wink:

Indeed. I shall have to do that one day when I have more time!

The Acclaim, Spirit & most of the 1980s Mopar's are

nothing but poster children for 1980s FWD cars that

went through a Botched Abortion after being half-

baked in the design & engineering process.

The Acclaim, Spirit & most of the 1980s Mopar's are

nothing but poster children for 1980s FWD cars that

went through a Botched Abortion after being half-

baked in the design & engineering process.

True, but the Turbo 4's some of these cars had made very impressive power numbers.

Yes turbo-4 Mopars are fast little suckers....

NO they did NOT get great fuel economy. Even the modern SRT4

gets about 13mpg in the real world driven by a car guy... even

less if it has the stage II injectors and all that crap.

Sure and I remember some turbo-6 Buicks from around the same timeframe that made a mess of those turbo-4 mopars, course they also liked to pick on V8 Mustangs of that era too. As for gas mileage not bad probably not the greatest for a 6 though.

Sure and I remember some turbo-6 Buicks from around the same timeframe that made a mess of those turbo-4 mopars, course they also liked to pick on V8 Mustangs of that era too. As for gas mileage not bad probably not the greatest for a 6 though.

Well gee, 2 extra cylinders and a Turbo..and it goes faster? I would hope so.

Gotta love the Omni GLH. Not just for the name (literally, "Goes Like Hell"), but for the fact that it existed at all - it was truly the proto-SRT4.

The Spirit R/T, boxy as it was and is, is definitely not a car to be trifled with. That sucker (and the related Daytona IROC R/T) pumped out 224hp from a measly 2.2 liters, thanks to impressive variable-nozzle turbo technology and a DOHC cylinder head designed by no less an authority than Lotus. I'd buy one of those, today, in a heartbeat.

If only the Avenger was as gutsy - where's the SRT6 version of that car at?

The Pentstar needs to be the corporate logo. Divisional logos should be untouched.

I also like that they're actually celebrating their freedom from DaimlerBenz. Maybe when the sale is complete, they'll give DB the finger and resurrect Plymouth.

Please, let plymouth stay dead. There is already to many name plates out in the sales world. Let them focus on making a very profitable Chrsyler, Dodge and Jeep. That is in their best interest.

I also agree with everyone that the Pentastar needs to stay as a corp logo and leave the divisional logo's alone.

Here's the Pentastar Chrysler should be using :smilewide:

Hey! Put a set of wings on that, and you might have something... :yes:

Hey! Put a set of wings on that, and you might have something... :yes:

I do have a pic of Slayer's eagle logo somwhere: that would have wings...

If Chrysler wishes to choose a less provocative pentastar, maybe they can use a Master Mason's pentagram: