NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Buick gets new ad tag line with launch of Enclave

36 posts in this topic

Buick gets new ad tag line with launch of Enclave
Redesigned badge also planned
Posted Image
Jamie LaReau | Automotive News
May 17, 2007 - 11:33 am

DETROIT -- Buick is changing its advertising tag line to "Drive Beautiful" and is getting a redesigned badge.

The campaign begins Sunday, May 20, in a 30-second TV spot for the Enclave crossover.

This is the third time in three years that Buick has changed its tag line. "Drive Beautiful" replaces "Beyond Precision."

"The opportunity is right for us to launch this new theme because every vehicle in the portfolio meets high criteria," says Maria Rohrer, General Motors' marketing director for Buick. "With the Enclave, we'll be talking about the fact that it is the finest crossover ever."

Four 30-second TV spots will run during shows such as "60 Minutes" and "Dancing with the Stars," along with cable programming, Rohrer says. A print and Internet campaign for the Enclave will begin this summer.

The new Buick ad campaign shows factors that distinguish the Enclave from competitors -- such as a higher frontal-crash test rating than that of the Volvo XC90 and a quieter cabin than that of the Lexus RX 350, Rohrer says.

Besides the new tag line, Buick has redesigned its badge, Rohrer says. The Buick tri-shield will stay, but the badge has been updated to give it a more contemporary color scheme and look.

"This brand has been around for 104 years," Rohrer says. "We need to write the next chapter to bring some romance and optimism to this brand. We're going back to the back-to-basics marketing approach where the product is the star."

Ads to play on emotion

Rohrer says the ads will play on emotion more than the previous "Beyond Precision" ads did with the Lucerne sedan. That campaign focused on technical aspects of the sedan.

"Drive Beautiful" will highlight Buick's technology and the joy of driving a luxurious vehicle, Rohrer says.

"There's one spot called 'Moments,' " she says. "That one talks about your most perfect drive. We went to doctors, lawyers and architects and asked them what was their perfect drive moment. We took a mash-up of all those different experiences and put it into this one spot. The Enclave is featured in there in beautiful ways."

The print ads will drive consumers to the Internet and will run in higher-end publications such as Vanity Fair and Cigar Aficionado. The target demographic is equally male and female ages 45 to 55 with an income of $100,000 or more. There will be a strong push for African-Americans.

Says Rohrer: "I'm recognizing that we have an aspiration of a certain age group that has amassed their fortune, and I'm trying to speak to them intelligently in a way that will make them look twice at Buick. I think people have been waiting for this."

Buick's advertising budget remains about the same as last year, she says. Last year's budget is not yet available, but Buick spent $177 million on advertising in 2005.

Says Rohrer: "It's the most important launch Buick has probably ever had to date. So I have dedicated the majority of my budget to the launch of the Enclave.

"This is a long-term proposition, and it's incredibly important we launch this correctly. But it's also about carrying the idea through and bringing the other cars into the umbrella."

Later this year, Buick will launch the updated LaCrosse and LaCrosse Super sedans. The Lucerne Super comes out next spring.

Rohrer says the new campaign will include those vehicles as well.

You may e-mail Jamie LaReau at jlareau@crain.com

$h!ty slogan, but a some good ideas...

Here's hoping that the Enclave gets a strong launch and that Buick can continue to be revived.

What an idiotic slogan.

What the hell was wrong with "Beyond Precision" anyway?

"We need to write the next chapter to bring some romance and optimism to this brand. We're going back to the back-to-basics marketing approach where the product is the star."

Oh my god! Really?

Jesus Christ, did it really take you morons this long to think that up?

Edited by AxelTheRed

$h!ty slogan, but a some good ideas...

Here's hoping that the Enclave gets a strong launch and that Buick can continue to be revived.

What do you mean "continued"? The revitalization is starting with the Enclave, and unfortunately we have to wait another 2 years for the next big piece (Lacrosse).

The Buick tri-shield will stay, but the badge has been updated to give it a more contemporary color scheme and look.

Someone... anyone... pic please !!

I really don't understand this as they've already removed the coloration from it (something I feel is a mistake, IMO; the recent trishield was very patriotic and well-done).

I'm counting the Enclave as past tense and I'm counting Buick's growth in China.

Enclave will be part of Buick's growth in China.

Someone... anyone... pic please !!

I know! I know! I can't wait! We'll see if they add color back. Considering Buick is still using the traditional R-W-B emblem, we'll see.

Beyond Precision was IMO, a great setup for jokes about Buick. What was so precise about Buick before? The LeSabre's handling? The interior design of the Century/Regal? At least now "Drive Beautiful" works with the Enclave and the Lucerne isn't a bad looker either. However, the LaCrosse needs to be redesigned pronto, never liked the quad headlight look. You can call that car and its driver "four eyes"

Edited by big blue

Maybe it's the same emblem that is featured in China.. I think I remember someone mentioning something about those Buicks keeping the color emblem.

I actually like the slogan. It places subtly places the emphasis back on style - something Buick is well known for, and something that we'll probably be seeing more of in future Buicks.

"Drive Beautiful" sounds like a slogan developed by an advertising firm in China which was then translated (poorly) into English. Kind of like that old arcade game "Zero Wing" where the Japanese creators couldn't quite grasp the English language when saying "All your base are belong to us"

Posted Image

Kind of makes sense though, Buick is quickly becoming a Chinese-oriented brand. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, it's a stupid tagline which will probably be dropped by the end of this year.

I'm thinking that the new tri-shield will add color back in to be more in line with Buick China.

"Drive Beautiful" sounds like a slogan developed by an advertising firm in China which was then translated (poorly) into English. Kind of like that old arcade game "Zero Wing" where the Japanese creators couldn't quite grasp the English language when saying "All your base are belong to us"

Posted Image

I think it depends on how you read it. If you take it as "how" you drive, "Beautiful" should be the adverb "Beautifully," as the adjective is modifying a verb. If you take it as "what" you drive, "Beautiful" is fine, as the adjective is synonymous with the object. I'm guessing most people will take it as the former.

Posted Image

Kind of makes sense though, Buick is quickly becoming a Chinese-oriented brand. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, it's a stupid tagline which will probably be dropped by the end of this year.

I'm thinking that the new tri-shield will add color back in to be more in line with Buick China.

Best...video game quote...EVAR!

It does sound liek a poor translation. I think it's a poor slogan that sounds more cheesy than catchy. I didn't care too much for "Beyond Precision" but it was better than this.

it would be odd if they added the colors back in, considering dealers are putting up just silver Buick badges on their signs and dealships....

Beyond Precision was IMO, a great setup for jokes about Buick. What was so precise about Buick before? The LeSabre's handling? The interior design of the Century/Regal? At least now "Drive Beautiful" works with the Enclave and the Lucerne isn't a bad looker either. However, the LaCrosse needs to be redesigned pronto, never liked the quad headlight look. You can call that car and its driver "four eyes"

Yep, most of us can come up with begger tag lines and we're not even employed by ad agencies.

Beyond precision was lame and BMW ALREADY has something with the word precision in there.

Drive beautiful is too focused on appearance and none of the quality and performance features.

I say either:

the very old - Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?

or

the slightly old - Premium American Motorcars

Edited by trinacriabob

I believe "Drive Beautiful" is fine for Buick. I agree that we could probably top it, but we should brainstorm on it. Here's what I have; a mixture of serious slogans and crap that would never work:

"It's shiny, so you know it's good."

"Drive it like you stole it (but don't actually steal it)."

"Luxury, Redefined"

"Smooth like butter, strong like bull."

"Realize your ambitions"

"Not your grandfather's Toyota."

Yeah, there's a reason I'm not in marketing.

Best...video game quote...EVAR!

It does sound liek a poor translation. I think it's a poor slogan that sounds more cheesy than catchy. I didn't care too much for "Beyond Precision" but it was better than this.

hehe yeah that is a great quote... my friend found a song on the internet where someone made a techno song out of it and it loops through... maybe they should go with "all your precision are belong to us" i think that translates into "damn thats a fine ride" in chinese

"Drive Beautiful" is fitting with "Safe Happens", "Gorgeous demands your immediate attention", and so on.

"Luxury, Redefined"

This isn't a bad one. Seriously.

Mine:

"American Luxury, Only Buick."

"Harley Earl was here... The one and only Buick. The mark of excellence!"

"Buick Luxury, Buick Drive, wouldn't you rather be driving a Buick?"

"Port-holes are just the begining."

"Top rated, highly praised, Only found in a Buick."

"Buick. Premium American Luxury at an affordable cost."

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0