Great Camaro thread with Fbodfather question

This is what the Fbodfather posted to start that thread over there. Please follow his instructions and avoid any arguments. Consider this a brainstorming effort and post any chops you come up with.

GM IS watching!

Quote:

Please -- no arguing (altho on this board, we very rarely have that problem...)

Just would like everyones' opinion on what 'special edition' Camaros would be appropriate.

To save time -- do not include RS/SS/Z28........

We anxiously await your reply!

Camaro Diesel V-6 and V-8.

3.5-3.6L Diesel V-6 (On the same architecture as the Venturi 2.9l) with about 300 hp.

5.0-5.5L Diesel V-8 with about 380 hp.

Offer with sports suspension package and aero package with six speed manual or automatics.

AutoX package would be nice, but I don't see the need for more than three pacakges or so. Z/28, SS, and RS along with something for AutoX (more aggressive suspension tuning, etc.) would be enough, I think. I see no reason to have countless models like the Mustang; I personally feel there are too many Mustang models and it's getting old.

I'll put in my vote for a Z28 Sunoco done in the blue with orange trim of the Mark Donahue driven 1969 Camaro.

A street legal club sports racer/gymkhana/tarmac rally car, with emphasis on handling and braking and with a big torque, dry sump engine. Proper gauges. Manual transmission only. No audio system available. Street legal racing bucket seats in front/no or minimal rear seats. Factory 4 point/6 point harness mounting points. Factory optional roll bar.

Camaro Diesel V-6 and V-8.

3.5-3.6L Diesel V-6 (On the same architecture as the Venturi 2.9l) with about 300 hp.

5.0-5.5L Diesel V-8 with about 380 hp.

Offer with sports suspension package and aero package with six speed manual or automatics.

yeah, torque monsters!

Let's see a Camaro with the optional new two mode hybrid drive train. That would be pretty awesome, a 6.0L Two Mode Hybrid V8 Camaro. If it hauled butt, that would probably make it officially the coolest car in the whole Chevy (not to mention perhaps the entire GM) lineup.

AutoX package would be nice, but I don't see the need for more than three pacakges or so. Z/28, SS, and RS along with something for AutoX (more aggressive suspension tuning, etc.) would be enough, I think. I see no reason to have countless models like the Mustang; I personally feel there are too many Mustang models and it's getting old.

THANK YOU! I couldnt agree with you more. I am so sick of seeing and hearing about all these model choices of the mustangs. It got old a while ago.

COPO or ZL1 is what gets my vote.... plus a stripped out SCCA style

variant that retains it's street legal status but is basically a modern

version of the original Plymouth Road Runner.

Hardtop convertible?

With all the bitching on this forum about how expensive tooling would

be for a true pillarless hardtop I'm surprised seven people did not

jump down your throat about how retractible (convertible) hardtops

are for high-end luxury cars like the Cadillac XRL not for the Camaro.

I do not care about a retractible hardtop, they're heavy & to me they

seem pretty useless on a sports car, it's more pf a luxury car item.

That beig said I have no reason to sy they should NOT make one.

Why not? Once again the tooling for the side windows, regulators &

such would be shared with the ragtop & hardtop.

Guest YellowJacket894

Hmmmm...

• A "VL" (Value Leader) bottom feeder trim (think cloth seats, basic CD player w/ iPod interface, non-dual zone A/C system and no luxury options like sunroofs or leather) that offers the SS's V8 with a six-speed manual and a base price of about twenty-three to twenty-four grand. Weight-saving measures would be used to increase performance.
  • How about a "SP" (Street Performance) package Camaro that offers visual upgrades to any model of Camaro with any engine and transmission, as well as specific engine tuning and performance upgrades (cold-air intake system, oil cooler, etc.).
  • Revive the IROC trim maybe? :scratchchin:
Edited by YellowJacket894

Seeing how heavy the new Zetas are, (about 3900 lb for the Holden SS), I want the Camaro V-6 to weigh not more than 3400 lb.

I think dimensionally Camaro will be smaller than the Zetas, thus that weight should be achievable. That will help it give a real run for money to G37, and 335Ci in terms of performance with the 3.6DI.

I am going to get killed for this but here it goes: :duck:

The return of the Berlinetta. To include Heated leather, NAV, IPOD interface, Tilt and telescoping column, power everything, sound deadening above the Z/28 - in other words a true LUXURY Camaro. Available in either convertible or coupe and with ANY of the available engine trans combos. In other words: A Camaro that could compete with the M3 BMW, Infinity G35, Mercedes CLK...the luxury Coupes. Fast when you want it to be, but sophisticated enough that you could take your boss or a client out to lunch in it and not be asked where your mullet hair extension is. In other words, a Coupe that you could use daily...and still have fun with it.

And, if by some odd chance that while at that lunch some ricer or poser pulls up next to you at the light, you can still show them your tailights!

:twocents:

Edited by toesuf94

I'll put in my vote for a Z28 Sunoco done in the blue with orange trim of the Mark Donahue driven 1969 Camaro.

A street legal club sports racer/gymkhana/tarmac rally car, with emphasis on handling and braking and with a big torque, dry sump engine. Proper gauges. Manual transmission only. No audio system available. Street legal racing bucket seats in front/no or minimal rear seats. Factory 4 point/6 point harness mounting points. Factory optional roll bar.

Probably an innapropriate question but do I get banned if I have an orgasm reading this.....

This is EXACTLY what I want.

Chris

I think what he's asking for is more along the lines of Boss Mustang or Bullit Mustang. I don't know the history of Camaro well enough to qualify here, but any special edition packages would be nice. Just remember, unlike Ford, that special editions need to be "special", i.e. not available every model year and only for a limited timeframe, and not available next to ten other "special editions".

Edited by turbo200

I think a stripped down performance version would be cool, similar to the Cobra R or STi. Hood and trunk could be fiberglass. Sound deadening material removed. Crank windows. Lot's of aluminum instead of steel on the suspension. Big brakes, big tires, big power, good handling, low stance. Offer it in badass colors like gumetal with flat black stripes. Maybe flair the fenders like the Z06. Things like that. I have no idea what to call it. But I almost think that using a nostalgic name would be bad since the majority of people have the image of a redneck driving an IROC in their heads. This is a new era, a new platform. Camaro 'Street' Edition?

With all the bitching on this forum about how expensive tooling would

be for a true pillarless hardtop I'm surprised seven people did not

jump down your throat about how retractible (convertible) hardtops

are for high-end luxury cars like the Cadillac XRL not for the Camaro.

I do not care about a retractible hardtop, they're heavy & to me they

seem pretty useless on a sports car, it's more pf a luxury car item.

That beig said I have no reason to sy they should NOT make one.

Why not? Once again the tooling for the side windows, regulators &

such would be shared with the ragtop & hardtop.

Why could G.M. not do this? Hell, the Miata is 1500 pounds lighter than the Camaro will wind up being and it has a power retractable hardtop that adds something like 100 pounds or so.

If a much smaller company like Mazda can do it why not G.M.? Hell, the do it on the G-6....

Chris

It is time to think out of the box and into the future

No Anniversery paint and badge jobs. These are lame cop outs.

Let see some special editions with some parts not offered on the standard cars. Real Hurst shifters etc.

Lets try to live in the present and do something like a ZL2 or something new and original. as the real ZL1 was a Aluminum 427 very limited production. What would that have to do with a present LS engine? It is time to make a historic limited car not glamming onto a past car it really shares nothing with.

An Sunoco car or Yunick car would be ok but at least as a original spoiler not offered on the regular car.

No fake scoops anything on the car should be real or functional.

Time to get back to what a limited edition was in the 60's, a car with some trim and hardware that made it a real limited car and really special. I don't want something that any body shop can apply with a sticker and emblem kit.

The paint and sticker cars were a product of the 70's when we lost power under the hood. It was all they had left from cars like the Judge. Somew pulled it off well like the Black Gold TA and the 10 Ann TA.

The 80's brought a lot of lame special cars that just aren't worth anything and one paint job would would remove anything special about them.

My point is for example, the ZL1 or Z28 were special and limited cars it they were painted or primered. The later Camaro anniversery cars were really nothing but a Camaro in primer.

GM has made special car if they needed to or wanted to. This Camaro deserves to have one too. If they can make a Monte Aero Coupe or 2+2 Pontiac just to race in NASCAR they can do something here to draw attention to the Camaro.

Posted Image

Here is my 2009 Camaro 9C1 edition, no light-bars yet. But this is the "un-marked" edition. I might work on a marked edition along with othe chops. Hey I am still learning this but seriuously how is it?

I added steel Impala 9C1 wheels, shaved off the spoiler, added a red lower body strip with 9C1 badges and a black trim.

Posted Image

Here is my 2009 Camaro 9C1 edition, no light-bars yet. But this is the "un-marked" edition. I might work on a marked edition along with othe chops. Hey I am still learning this but seriuously how is it?

I added steel Impala 9C1 wheels, shaved off the spoiler, added a red lower body strip with 9C1 badges and a black trim.

BALDWIN MOTION 454 YENKO 427 with the retro paint that would be awsome

Posted Image

Sorry, but I thought this was the new Neon light Edition when I first saw the picture.

It just makes me wonder who will be the first to put a ugly bulb on the new Camaro. It is bad enough that they put it on but most can't even install them right where you can't see them.

Anyway I do like the minimalist approach!

It would be freekin' awsome if there was a Yenko Super Camaro powered by the LS7. :wub::spin:

Posted Image

NOT FUNNY, THIS IS NOT FUNNY AT ALL, YOU GOT ME SCARED SH :censored: TLESS HERE, the thought of local PD and State Troopers having this, is scarier than another Tarentino film.

Edited by SS427

How about a 420RPackage

comes with

420 hp and 420 ft lb

DOD/AFM

Dash mounted Visine sprayers for those "red eyes"

a glove box that can fit a 1 pound brick of "Italian seasoning" owners manual, registration, and proof of insurance

1 complementary pound brick of "Italian Seasoning" to fit in glove box

Radar jammer/scrambler

Radar/Laser detector

CB

Police Scanner

8 track player with Jimmie Hendrix 8 track in it

Shag carpeting

Funion/Dorito Dispenser

Tie die interior theme

Custom "7 leaf plant" graphics

a vanity license plate that includes 420 in it

Emergency ventilation system that ventilates a "baked out" car in .034 milliseconds and leaves a fresh pine tree fragrance

100 pack of Rear view mirror Pine tree scents

Excessive smokers package that includes 4 self cleaning ashtrays and 4 self refueling zippo's with a 7 leaf plant painted on it.

Limo tint on all windows with doctors permission slip for tint in center console.

yeah sounds like the package I would get

First things first. Before getting any special editions out there, let's see a solid, quirk-free launch of both the coupe and convertible styles, with a real advertising campaign and some solid real-world buzz.

Then, in order of appearance, I'd like to see:

* Race-spec model, possibly with those 6.0-liter V8s the Corvette won't be using anymore. Something to challenge Ford's FR Mustangs in SCCA Speed GT, Rolex Sportscar, etc. Call it the ZL1 if you want, what the hell - it would have an aluminum engine, after all.

* B4C police option, since I strangely don't see Ford jumping on that market anymore. And since the Dodge Charger now seems poised to take over as THE cop sedan of choice, GM's gonna want to offset the creeping loss of fleet Impala sales with something. Also, this would be a great way to build heavy-duty quality and reliability for all Camaros.

* Berlinetta interior option, offered in combination with any other package (like RS, SS, Z28) save the two mentioned above. This would be a truly plush set of features, such as soft-touch leather, upgraded headliner, and buyer's choice of wood or stainless accent trim. Expensive, yes, and I would actually prefer to see something like this on a Pontiac rather than a Chevy, but there doesn't appear to be a Firebird revival effort at present.

* Very limited revival appearance packages, farmed out to SLP or somewhere similar and funneled back to dealers. A blue Penske Sunoco Z28 would be an obvious first choice, as would a classic black-and-gold Yunick. Or how about a customer-specified set of options under a COPO plan (within reason, of course - no Camaros with Ecotec turbo motors, please). Limited anniversary paint and stripe schemes would be cool, too - for instance, a Z28-77 option with 1977-style stripes, badges, wheels and color choices.

* The Motion Performance group is still around - they apparently have something in the works for the new car, and they already build custom cars with Lingenfelter Engineering based on original '69 Camaro bodies. And does anyone own the rights to the Yenko name, save for the family?

Posted Image

Yes, this is the only rendering Motion has...

That should be enough to keep GM busy for a while. I'd still like to see a new fastback Firebird, though.

• 4 weeks later...