2009 Dodge Ram Spied

Z-06

Dodge Ram

Dodge Ram- All Par

2009 Dodge Ram pickup trucks - news and rumors

2009 dodge ram spy shot

What we know (we think for certain): the Ram 1500 will finally get a new, smaller Cummins turbodiesel, built to the same high standards as past engines; and the 2500 and 3500 will have a cleaner engine using technology Mercedes bought a while back. A hybrid powertrain, using the GM-BMW-DCX system, is almost certain as well; it will provide a small additional gas mileage boost.

dodge ram 2009

According to Automotive News, the Ram 1500’s V8 Cummins turbodiesel will have about 260-300 hp and 460 lb-ft of torque, with gas mileage is likely to be about 20 mpg city, 25 highway (compared with the Hemi's 13/17). Acceleration is about 1 second longer 0-60 (9.6 seconds rather than 8.6 seconds) and is good even by car standards. (Remember, that's mileage similar to the Sebring).

Brenda Priddy wrote:

Caught testing in weather hotter than Hades, not even Chrysler engineers with the temperament of Cerberus could stop at least a few photos of 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 mules from escaping.

These pictures show current Dodge Ram half-ton pickups running through the desert with the next-gen Ram's front clip and improved HEMI V8. Even under the heavy camouflage, it's clear that Dodge is moving away from the Ram's trademark big rig looks in favor of better aerodynamics to help boost fuel economy. The prominent crosshair grille remains - with stronger horizontal and vertical bars and slant forward styling shared with the Dodge Charger sedan.

When it goes on sale late next summer, there should be four revised engine choices. The base 215-hp / 235 lb-ft 3.7-liter V6 will be replaced with the 260 hp / 265 lb-ft 4.0-liter V6 used in the Dodge Nitro. The Ram's 4.7-liter V8 will get the same makeover as in the Dodge Dakota, boosting power to 300 hp/ 390 lb-ft, and the 5.7-liter HEMI V8 will get a bump in displacement and power. A new Cummins 6.7-liter V8 diesel motor will also be available. Both gas and diesel V8s will use 6-speed automatic transmissions.

J. White wrote: “They are only using the 2009 front for cooling testing right now. The rest of this mule is for the moment the 2003+ Ram.”

“redriderbob” wrote in March 2007:

The next generation of Dodge Ram 1500 pickups, are set to debut in the 2009 model year. I have been hearing some interesting things from different sources about the new Ram 1500 lineup. One of my sources said that Ralph Gilles and his team are getting away from the “big-rig” styling that we all love, and going towards a new design similar to the pattern of the newer Dodge truck lineup are fallowing. Styling that will be similar to the design theme used on the new Dodge Nitro, Dodge Hornet Concept, and Dodge Rampage Concept.

Mr. Gilles told the press that the next generation of Ram will be more aerodynamic and have a more luxurious car-like interior. Using the aerodynamic theme, the Gilles’ gang is looking at making the pickup have more of a cab forward design. A design statement Chrysler Group created in the mid-1990s and is now trying to get away from. The bold fender flares of the Nitro, Hornet Concept, and Rampage Concept, allow for a wider track and make it possible to push the vehicle’s wheels out to the corners, making it possible to provide better handling.

New engines will debut in the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. The word is that the 3.7L V6 will be dropped and be replaced with the 4.0L V6 from the Nitro. The engine will produce 270 horsepower, putting it in from of the standard engine from the rest of the manufacturers. The 4.7L V8 will get huge updates for the 2008 model year. Power should be pushed up to 300 horsepower [current spec is 290 for 2008 Dakota, and that's what we now expect]for the new Ram 1500. [Another rumor has the 3.7 V6 being replaced by a four liter Phoenix engine.]

A new version of the HEMI V8 in the Ram 1500 will debut in 2009. It will grow slightly in displacement, probably to a 5.9L or 6.1L configuration. The new engine will feature next generation MDS, a 3-valve per cylinder configuration, and variable valve timing. The new HEMI should put out best in class power (somewhere around the 400 horsepower mark). Towing capacity should be over 10,500 lb. Engines should be equipped with 6-speed automatics, as well as the two lesser engines with 6-speed manual transmissions.

Dodge wants their pickups back on top of the market and since its Chrysler Group’s best selling vehicle, they will do whatever they can to put the Ram 1500 in front of the rest of the half-ton pickup lineup. Dodge will have a bunch of configurations and trims available on the pickups during its release. Expect three cab configurations, two bed lengths, and four trim packages.

Dodge will also release a two-mode hybrid version of the Ram 1500 for the 2010 model year. The hybrid will only feature the new HEMI engine.

Hemidakota added: “The Hemi engine has four size variable what I was told. The one to watch is the high output version of the Challenger - not the SRT.”

The name Dodge Ram Toolmaster has a trademark, along with the name "Sidegate: Name of door in pickup bed giving bed access." (thanks, Dan Minick) The sidegate is a minivan-style sliding door on the side of the cab, but we haven't seen it in production.

When it goes on sale next summer, expect to see four all-new or revised engine choices. The base 215-hp/235lb-ft 3.7-liter V6 will be replaced with the 260-hp/265lb-ft 4.0-liter V6 used in the Dodge Nitro SUV. The Ram’s current 235-hp/300lb-ft 4.7-liter V8 gets the same makeover the 2008 Dodge Dakota received, boosting power to 300-hp/330lb-ft, and the 5.7-liter HEMI V8 will get a bump in displacement and power from current 345-hp/375lb-ft levels. A new Cummins V8 diesel motor will also be available. Both gas and diesel V8s will use 6-speed automatic transmissions.

These are indeed impressive engines! If the base V6 gets the 5-speed and the rest get 6-speeds, the Ram may very well be the powertrain leader when it debuts.

While I have always loved the big-rig styling, something new would be refreshing. Plus, I loved the nose of the Rampage concept...so it can only mean good things. If they can make an interior anywhere near as nice as Ford's or GM's they'll be in good shape.

Funny...just the other day I was asking Chis about this truck :lol:

Like th old saying goes, "you cant fix ugly"

But you can drink til you think.... hey that might be a good idea... until you wake up in the morning and think OH GOD NO! :blink:

Nobody else thinks the Rampage concept looks even a little bit like the Tundra?

Anyways, its a Dodge, so I really wont care until I get a few teeth knocked out and move into a run down trailer.

yeah thought it looked a little ridgeliny too. toyota has the ram f-1500 and dodge will have the f-tundra 150

Edited by cletus8269

The spy pics look interesting. I like the Charger's front fascia and it seems that it'll translate pretty well on the Ram. Too bad they're getting away from the big rig look. I can't wait to see the new design.

Nobody else thinks the Rampage concept looks even a little bit like the Tundra?

Anyways, its a Dodge, so I really wont care until I get a few teeth knocked out and move into a run down trailer.

I would say that the new Tundra looks more like the current Ram than the Rampage concept looks like the new Tundra.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's not true, Chevy managed tof ix the Silverado. It was hideous inside and out before.

Yea. That was ugly, but the new Silverado looks like a smiling old man with dentures. The grille is way too wide! The Rampage looks better than the Tundra, but I don't like the Avenger-style Dodge grille on a truck. It's too small looking. The new F-150 will blow all of these away!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and millions of people disagree. :P

Personally, I think the new Silverado downgraded in the styling department.

Same goes for the Ram's styling.

Personally, I think the best-looking of the new pickups is the Sierra Denali.

The new HD's are a disappointment...I saw a Silverado HD a few weeks ago...the grill is too out of prortion...I don't like it.

yeah thought it looked a little ridgeliny too. toyota has the ram f-1500 and dodge will have the f-tundra 150

Except all the "big rig" styling cues the SuperDuty, Tundra, etc. are all inspired by the Ram.

Yea. That was ugly, but the new Silverado looks like a smiling old man with dentures. The grille is way too wide! The Rampage looks better than the Tundra, but I don't like the Avenger-style Dodge grille on a truck. It's too small looking. The new F-150 will blow all of these away!

How do we know the F-150 will blow this away considering we've only seen trucks with just as much camo on them as the Ram so far?

How do we know the F-150 will blow this away considering we've only seen trucks with just as much camo on them as the Ram so far?

Because Ford made this segment greater. It's going to be greater because it's going to be different. Six doors? Nobody's done that before. From what i saw the F-150's styling looks good and crisp. It's going to be better cuz thats the only way Ford knows how to do Pickups-- Better.

Because Ford made this segment greater. It's going to be greater because it's going to be different. Six doors? Nobody's done that before. From what i saw the F-150's styling looks good and crisp. It's going to be better cuz thats the only way Ford knows how to do Pickups-- Better.

The name Dodge Ram Toolmaster has a trademark, along with the name "Sidegate: Name of door in pickup bed giving bed access." (thanks, Dan Minick) The sidegate is a minivan-style sliding door on the side of the cab, but we haven't seen it in production.

From what I saw it looked like a current gen F-150 with an extra door in the bed and a lot of camo on the nose...kinda like the Ram we see spy shots of.

Ford also knows how to do pickups so well that in the current generation they forgot side-airbags, storage compartments, and a good powertrain in the F-150.

Don't get me wrong, I like the F-150. It's handsome, and has my favorite truck interior. They do know how to build trucks, but so do Dodge and GM...so to just assume the vehicle will "blow away" the Dodge when neither has been unveiled yet is just silly.

Edited by Dodgefan

Those other brands can build trucks... sure. But desirability really matters for most people who buy these trucks for non-commercial use and the other two in the Big 3 look like crap inside and out, I mean the Silverado's interior is OK, but it's still not great... Now, by no means I'm no Ford guy (The Super Duty's interior is a shame) But Ford does the job and keeps cost down compared to others... And this ram is going to be a disappointment at Dodge. And the Dakota aint no peach either.

Well I've seen the 2009 F150 in production form and *non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement* Also I feel that *non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement**non-disclosure agreement*

:D

Edited by Chris_Doane

Those other brands can build trucks... sure. But desirability really matters for most people who buy these trucks for non-commercial use and the other two in the Big 3 look like crap inside and out, I mean the Silverado's interior is OK, but it's still not great... Now, by no means I'm no Ford guy (The Super Duty's interior is a shame) But Ford does the job and keeps cost down compared to others... And this ram is going to be a disappointment at Dodge. And the Dakota aint no peach either.

Once more you are basing your statements on what? You haven't seen the vehicle yet, you can't make judgments on it. The GM vehicles offer 2 interiors and one of them is easily as good as the F-150's. You're basing the exterior looks on a purely subjective basis.

Desirability is indeed what matters, which is why both GM and Dodge sell more of them than any other vehicle in their lineup. Ford is the one who has catching up to do. The F-150 lagged in power, safety and storage amenities when it debuted...these are things that most people want and use.

Ford's next F-150 should indeed be very good, because they have to keep the likes of Toyota and Nissan from taking sales, but Dodge is responding the same way. They aren't going to let their best seller fall behind.

Notice how you "dodged" (hahahaOMGZORZ) my counterpoint to your statement Ford being so different and the only one doing different things.

Edited by Dodgefan

Once more you are basing your statements on what? You haven't seen the vehicle yet, you can't make judgments on it. The GM vehicles offer 2 interiors and one of them is easily as good as the F-150's. You're basing the exterior looks on a purely subjective basis.

Well the styling is near obvious b/c of recent Ford styling trends (Super Chief concept) and they are evident on the car.

Desirability is indeed what matters, which is why both GM and Dodge sell more of them than any other vehicle in their lineup. Ford is the one who has catching up to do. The F-150 lagged in power, safety and storage amenities when it debuted...these are things that most people want and use.

But did sales lag? No. People are going to buy Ford b/c it's an F150. THey have always been good. My grandfather had one from 1966 he drove until he died in '97!

Ford's next F-150 should indeed be very good, because they have to keep the likes of Toyota and Nissan from taking sales, but Dodge is responding the same way. They aren't going to let their best seller fall behind.

Nissan? You're $h!ting me! That's not even a true competitor and the refresh is only marginally better. And they were already GIVING away Tundras by March

Notice how you "dodged" (hahahaOMGZORZ) my counterpoint to your statement Ford being so different and the only one doing different things.

And when was this little patent registered? And at least Ford is going to get it out there first!

the titan is the worst. looks cheesy inside and out and it really doesn't feel that solid on the road.

dodge should bail on trucks and let chevy and ford get their market.

Are you suggesting that Dodge just fold completely cause that's what you're suggesting. They still make a ton of money on Rams (and minivans), so giving up that market would be commercial suicide.