Future of Pontiac Vibe?

I may be the only one who cares but does anyone know if the Vibe/Matrix will be available in '08? Reason I'm asking is that we will likely be downsizing when the lease is up on our '06 Caravan in March of '08. The next-gen. Mopar minivans are simply going to be to big for us--and more importantly, we want something that gets better fuel economy. We'd like to stick with a wagon-y vehicle. I drove a Caliber and it wasn't too bad, though I started feeling claustrophobic inside of it pretty quickly (that cursed high beltline).

One of the vehicles we are thinking of is the Vibe, but I don't know if it's still going to be around next spring. Anyone else know?

I haven't heard anything to the contrary. There have been no announcements or unveilings of a 2008 redesign (which we would have seen by now). And we also would have heard by now that GM is discontinuing the Vibe.

The Vibe was a 2003 introduction, and given Toyota goes with the standard 5-year lifespan (since after all, we're talking about a Toyota-enginnered car), there will probably be something different at NUMMI for 2008 (aside from just the redesigned Corolla). At this point, I don't think we even know whether a 2008 Vibe would be based on the Matrix or if it would be revised for the Delta platform instead.

Then again, I probably didn't get the memo.

about the only thing this car needs is to be updated and refreshened anyways. A new more streamlined and more masculine shape. A better interior. Hopefully better engine choices, and a tighter ride, and this car would again be very competitive. I like the way the Vibe fits in to the lineup. A really convincingly modern and not overly [current] Pontiac-esque garish exterior [the big headlights the big grille the tacky cladding the unconvincing athleticism]. Make it a wagon BMW would be proud to own, and you have Pontiac's perfect FWD entry level car. They don't need another Delta or Gamma, unless it's a RSX copy. That's how you do Pontiac performance for the mainstream.

IMO, it is the engine choices that hold it back. The Toyota 1.8ls are so buzzy and tepid they make an Iron Duke look refined. And the fact that the AWD model clocked in with the lowest hp - some 15hp away from the ECHO - was unacceptable.

A nice selection of Ecotecs with a 2.0l turbo in a GXP would give Pontiac a hot wagon that would make any MazdaMazdaMazdaMazda blush.

This will primarily be my wife's car, and there are two vehicles that she really REALLY hates--the PT Cruiser and the HHR--and her hatred of both is based on the styling. They really turn her off. Me? I happen to like them both. However, she does like the Vibe/Matrix. I'd prefer the Vibe myself, if only because I know the Pontiac dealer very well (same place we've been getting our Mopars for decades).

I've sat in a Compass and a Patriot. I like them well enough, though their fuel economy is only so-so with the 2.4L/CVT combo (24/27 MPG; our current Caravan is rated 19/26 MPG).

Edited by NeonLX

IMO, it is the engine choices that hold it back. The Toyota 1.8ls are so buzzy and tepid they make an Iron Duke look refined. And the fact that the AWD model clocked in with the lowest hp - some 15hp away from the ECHO - was unacceptable.

A nice selection of Ecotecs with a 2.0l turbo in a GXP would give Pontiac a hot wagon that would make any MazdaMazdaMazdaMazda blush.

on fuel economy alone, the Vibe is GM's only competitive car in the small car arena, when compared to the leaders.

Aveo hatch?

Is that the little wagon dealie? We may look at one of those too.

Both my wife and I have commented that we'd love a Cobalt wagon (kinda like the old Cavalier wagon, but much better built!). We sure liked the Cobalt LT we rented for two weeks on vacation back in 2005.

Is that the little wagon dealie? We may look at one of those too.

Both my wife and I have commented that we'd love a Cobalt wagon (kinda like the old Cavalier wagon, but much better built!). We sure liked the Cobalt LT we rented for two weeks on vacation back in 2005.

Yes, that's the little wagon.

Cobalt wagon = HHR.

Cobalt wagon = HHR.

But then we're back to the styling issue again.

One thing I don't like about the PT Cruiser, and maybe the HHR too, is the rather tubby curb weight. The PT weighs a good 600-lbs. more than the now-discontinued Neon.

Don't know if the HHR has a comparable weight problem relative to the Cobalt...

yeah, the 1.8 is underpowered and has seen its due. ecotecs would give it SOME power. the vibe really needs a 2.2 or 2.4. as far as packaging goes the vibe can't really be beat, but it needs new sheetmetal and interior. it could stand to be cheaper.

right now i would assume vibe sales are up due to high gas prices.

Edited by regfootball

Don't you guys get the Optra 5 down there? They are currently a huge BARGAIN up here. I priced one out for a friend recently, against the Vibe and we could get the sunroof, alloy wheels, upgraded sound system, etc. for $50 a month LESS than a Vibe, although the Vibe did have ABS for that price. Agreed that the HHR has better power, but the 2.0 in the Optra is comparable to the anemic 1.8 in the Matrix/Vibe. I would reccommend the stick shift, however. I have a lot of experience with the Optra and don't like the non-GM automatic. The Optra 5 is actually a very good looking car, and doesn't have the FUGLY seats from the Cobalt, either.

GM needs to stop cavorting with the enemy

and end this relationship with Toyota.

I just don't get it.

I'd be all for it if they could develop decent, well-built, fuel-efficient vehicles on their own. Say what you will about the Vibe/Matrix, it's a nifty little wagon that gets good fuel economy.

I love the Cobalt but there ain't a wagon version. Well, OK, there's the HHR, but it's a lot heavier (and thirstier).

As Ravenfreak13 suggested, the Astra would be a good option, namely the 5-door model. Unless you're really looking for a wagon or MPV... too bad the Zafira hasn't made it to the US...

Edited by ZL-1

Duh! 08 Astra! Perfect Choice.

Outstanding suggestion , There is the perfect vehicle that fits in the needs and with a fresh, dynamic style and a great track record. Yet it's the "New kid" around here.

The Astra looks great. But I've heard the thing is going to be kind of spendy.

When we got our '06 Caravan, we also looked at a Mazda 5. Problem was, the "5" cost as much as the much-roomier Caravan, and fuel economy wasn't significantly better either (with an auto tranny, anyway).

I hope the Astra is priced aggressively. In my opinion, they need to take a page from Kia's playbook--get the vehicle established in the market, via good price & warranty. Don't go for the "fine, boutiquey German car" attitude to justify a high price.

Edited by NeonLX

Vibe's still there-pretty much unchanged and languishing since its inferior, unnecessary 2005 facelift which gave it a boring grille as opposed to the exciting one from 2002.5-04 models. I thought of them redesigning it earlier, but just let the HHR be the sole representative of this segment on the mainstream end or add a Captiva-meets Journey (2003) concept-styled tall 5-door hatchback. Not unlike Dodge Caliber, but a nice car, and with a good interior, not an abominable one. In other words, kill the Vibe now!

The things I like about the Vibe are:

1. Relatively inexpensive (when incentives are thrown in, anyway).

2. Fairly roomy interior for exterior footprint

3. Very good fuel economy (though maybe at the expense of absolute performance).

4. Good repair history

The Dodge Caliber, as I mentioned before, feels cramped inside to me, probably because of the high beltline. It's also a bit tubby (3100+ lbs.). The 2.0L CVT combo returns 26/30 MPG, which ain't bad I guess. The PT and HHR are heavier yet.

Edited by NeonLX

I hope the Astra is priced aggressively. In my opinion, they need to take a page from Kia's playbook--get the vehicle established in the market, via good price & warranty. Don't go for the "fine, boutiquey German car" attitude to justify a high price.

While I expect the Astra to cost more than an Ion, I don't think you'd be looking at A4 money. It really comes down with your priorities. If you're looking for lowest cost, go with Aveo hatch. Most bang for your buck, go with Vibe. Most bang for your buck in a semi-premium package, go with Astra.

If you can spend a little more coin, Carsdirect.com is suggesting that a Saab 9-3 wagon with 5-speed auto and 2.0 litre can be had for around 25k.

Don't you guys get the Optra 5 down there? They are currently a huge BARGAIN up here. I priced one out for a friend recently, against the Vibe and we could get the sunroof, alloy wheels, upgraded sound system, etc. for $50 a month LESS than a Vibe, although the Vibe did have ABS for that price. Agreed that the HHR has better power, but the 2.0 in the Optra is comparable to the anemic 1.8 in the Matrix/Vibe. I would reccommend the stick shift, however. I have a lot of experience with the Optra and don't like the non-GM automatic. The Optra 5 is actually a very good looking car, and doesn't have the FUGLY seats from the Cobalt, either.

They don't have the Chevy version. It's the Suzuki Forenza down there.

They don't have the Chevy version. It's the Suzuki Forenza down there.

Actually, I think that the Optra5 is our Suzuki Reno. The Optra Wagon is our Suzuki Forenza wagon. They're all essentially the same underneath.

Under the new 2008 EPA estimates the Reno gets 19 MPG city, though. Doesn't sound like the mileage he's looking for: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorC...=1&id=23209 and I would say it's outright poor for a car that size.

My wife and I had a 2005 Vibe up until last month (lease was up and we bought a Saturn Vue hybrid - probably would have considered another Vibe if they weren't IDENTICAL for 2007) and it was an extremely useful and reliable car. It was not fast, but I thought it was fun to drive in the right situations and I would not hesitate to recommend it for someone looking for a practical wagon that gets good mileage. It averaged about 26 MPG for us in real world mixed driving which is right around what the "new" 2008 EPA ratings are.

I want the turbo diesel Astra, darn it! But I know we won't get it.