NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Buick may add new entry-level sedan to US range

70 posts in this topic

Buick may add new entry-level sedan to US range

Posted on Monday 21 May 2007

motor authority

Posted Image

courtesy of motor authority

General Motors might sell a new model in the US that it’s planning to launch in China by early 2009. The compact Buick sedan is designed to replace the current Excelle, a re-badged version of the Daewoo Lacetti that’s sold in China. Execs are still considering if the car should be offered to the US but a source familiar with GM’s product plans has revealed to Automotive News that Buick’s US lineup will eventually resemble its range in China.

The new sedan will be based on the next-generation front-wheel-drive Delta platform, currently being developed in Germany by an international team of engineers. The car will be similar in size to the Chevrolet Cobalt or Honda Civic and if given US approval, would most likely be imported from China.

Troy Clarke, GM’s president of North America, has also confirmed that a new entry-level Buick sedan was under consideration but stated that no final decision had been made. According to its dealers, Buick customers are demanding a vehicle smaller than the LaCrosse sedan and that GM’s alternatives, such as the Pontiac G6, doesn’t appeal to the typical Buick buyer.

source:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/sedans/...an-to-us-range/

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I have thought this would be quite a good idea for some time now. This could be on the level of the SAAB 9-3 but with a DI non Turbo I4. It would certainly entertain my interest for the moment.

I'm not sure if I like the idea. I guess it would depend on execution, but I don't think Buick needs Cobalt-sized cars.

What would be perfect is if we could get a small sedan such as this, mid sedan such as the LaCrosse, a fullsize sedan such as the Lucerne, and an even more expensive fullsize sedan like the Park Avenue, as well as a CUV with 8 seats like the Enclave. A lineup like that will definitely appeal to the younger generation...

That was sarcastic. Buick needs to make a coupe/convertible to keep people interested. Buick should not be the "sedan" company.

If customers are really "demanding" a small sedan the only way to do it right is to make it terrifically environmentally friendly and higher quality materials and building than things such as the G6 or Cobalt. People want a smaller car for a large part due to gas mileage. Having a hybrid Buick would #1- generate interest in Buick since it seems Saturn is the only GM company who is getting this technology as we speak, and #2 give something to solidly compete against Toyota and Honda because the quality will be in a Buick that is typically overlooked in Chevys, Saturns, and Pontiacs.

35 mpg CAFE may force GM to develop some Buicks many of us would prefer not to see.

It's the new-generation Cadillac Cimarron...because we didn't learn our lesson the last time around. :banghead:

The Buick Excelle...traditional Buick styling and luxury, complete with a four-cylinder engine, four-speed automatic and twist-beam rear axle! That'll really get those Lexus buyers into Buick showrooms.

What would be perfect is if we could get a small sedan such as this, mid sedan such as the LaCrosse, a fullsize sedan such as the Lucerne, and an even more expensive fullsize sedan like the Park Avenue, as well as a CUV with 8 seats like the Enclave. A lineup like that will definitely appeal to the younger generation...

That was sarcastic. Buick needs to make a coupe/convertible to keep people interested. Buick should not be the "sedan" company.

If customers are really "demanding" a small sedan the only way to do it right is to make it terrifically environmentally friendly and higher quality materials and building than things such as the G6 or Cobalt. People want a smaller car for a large part due to gas mileage. Having a hybrid Buick would #1- generate interest in Buick since it seems Saturn is the only GM company who is getting this technology as we speak, and #2 give something to solidly compete against Toyota and Honda because the quality will be in a Buick that is typically overlooked in Chevys, Saturns, and Pontiacs.

I agree on all points. Several hybrid Buicks are a must going into the future, in my book.

They don't need anything that small! If anything, they should get the first Kappa sedan, if they ever build one! I was gonna suggest an EpsilonII, but those are La-X sized. D'oh! How big is Alpha? It's pretty sad that buick has NO 3 competitor, and hasn't had one in my time. Maybe they should invest in Saab and Saturn and put buick out to pasture. It has been stagnant WAAAAY 2 long!

Interesting...get a 4 cylinder base and stuff a small 6 cylinder into it and i'm happy....

lol it would be nice to like stuff a 3.1 pushrod in there :P for me atleast...a roaring engine that gets 30 mpg in giant cars in a small light cobalt like vehicle

maybe the same power as the 2.4 (obviously a lot more torque) but it gets better mileage...

thats one thing I dont get...why have a 4 cylinder with less torque and simular mileage when you can have a six cylinder with almost equal (if not better in a lighter package) mileage and more power?

Well, won't the NG LaCrosse shrink a bit? I mean, right now the W-platforms have such long noses and wasted space in the length of the car... won't the NG be an inch or two shorter? Or are we talking about a Malibu-sized/slightly smaller vehicle?

I wouldn't want anything less than a 6 in a Buick... so maybe the 2.8L, but nothing less.

I think that is nuts, I thought they were trying to trim down on models. As long as it is good looking and sells well I could care less. This sounds nuts to me for a luxury brand with a new Regal or LaX (whatever it is called). I just want the Park Avenue!

Personally I think the LaCrosse should be shrunk a little... the Lucerne too... and then a Park Ave about 205-206" in length. Then DTS owners have a place to go to when they consolidate the STS/DTS.

Buick doesn't need a Cobalt sized car in the U.S. I think it would be a big mistake to introduce one here. I think that a midsize LaX based on the next EPII to combat the ES350 should be the entry level car. I'd love to see China's Park Avenue come over as the flagship, and really give customers a value alternative to the LS460L. The only thing though, is that I think the exterior needs to be a complete redo, instead of the current reskin that it is. That offers some logistical challenges, because the car is new and already being introduced in China in it's reskinned form, and it'd make more economic sense to have the same version of the car sold globally. That exact same though goes for what I wish the next gen Lucerne would be; a cousin to the G8... sharing a common platform, but with new and completely different exterior panels and a completely unique interior, along with Quiet Tuning, etc. Along with a coupe/droptop, Enclave, and a possible Theta SUV , you have a complete, and youthful lineup.

So Buick may be the first Chinese vehicle sold in the US?? Mmmm (VERY disappointed)

Well, won't the NG LaCrosse shrink a bit? I mean, right now the W-platforms have such long noses and wasted space in the length of the car... won't the NG be an inch or two shorter? Or are we talking about a Malibu-sized/slightly smaller vehicle?

I wouldn't want anything less than a 6 in a Buick... so maybe the 2.8L, but nothing less.

I definitely expect the next gen LaX to shrink a bit. The W bodies are everything you just described; a car similar to size to the new Malibu is where the next gen LaX should be in size, IMO. I also agree that BUICK SHOULD NOT OFFER ANYTHING LESS THAN A SIX. PERIOD. I think the 3.6L should be put in making around 285HPl; enough to trump the ES350 by a decent margin.

A lot of people seem to be commenting on a Kappa sedan, or Alpha. I think anything that size with those specs should be left to Pontiac. Buick only needs three sedans. Anything smaller than a midsize is to small for Buick in this market.

So as long it is on Alpha as YellowJacket said. Smaller Delta does not make a business sense considering B-P-G already has it in the guise of G-5 (despite it being a coupe). Buick needs to be different.

Buick has provided several compact offerings over the years, most of them within our lifetime (Somerset, SkyHawk, Skylark.) They were considered "premium/luxury compact" cars during the 1980s. I don't see a problem with Buick re-attempting this market. Produce a genuine premium compact(not a Cavelier/Grand-am/Cobalt-G5 re-badge), and Buick should have an answer to a question that's actually being asked right now. Considering this will be developed for China and the US, I don't see "re-badging" being a factor. I could see myself owning one while keeping a larger Buick sedan or CUV for weekend stuff or special occasions. Do it.

Several premium brands sell compacts: Acura (TXS), Volvo (S40), Volkswagen (Jetta), SAAB (9-2x), Audi (A3)

Smart and Mini are expanding Mercedes & BMW into the premium "small" car market too.

And yes, I agree about Buick going Hybrid. Buick could demand a premium for Hybrid technology where Chevrolet and Pontiac might struggle. I honestly think Buick's Super trim should be molded into a Hybrid/performance trim similar to Lexus' h. A premium-compact-hybrid-Super Buick would be great. Make it sedan-only, while producing a tall wagon variant under a different name. Maybe it could be a contemporary/modern cousin to the next-gen Chevrolet HHR, but with Hybrid/turbo and available AWD.

Buick has provided several compact offerings over the years, most of them within our lifetime (Somerset, SkyHawk, Skylark.) They were considered "premium/luxury compact" cars during the 1980s. I don't see a problem with Buick re-attempting this market. Produce a genuine premium compact(not a Cavelier/Grand-am/Cobalt-G5 re-badge), and Buick should have an answer to a question that's actually being asked right now. Considering this will be developed for China and the US, I don't see "re-badging" being a factor. I could see myself owning one while keeping a larger Buick sedan or CUV for weekend stuff or special occasions. Do it.

Several premium brands sell compacts: Acura (TXS), Volvo (S40), Volkswagen (Jetta), SAAB (9-2x), Audi (A3)

Smart and Mini are expanding Mercedes & BMW into the premium "small" car market too.

And yes, I agree about Buick going Hybrid. Buick could demand a premium for Hybrid technology where Chevrolet and Pontiac might struggle. I honestly think Buick's Super trim should be molded into a Hybrid/performance trim similar to Lexus' h. A premium-compact-hybrid-Super Buick would be great. Make it sedan-only, while producing a tall wagon variant under a different name. Maybe it could be a contemporary/modern cousin to the next-gen Chevrolet HHR, but with Hybrid/turbo and available AWD.

I don't think the average Buick buyer is going to be looking for a Delta II-based Buick, nor do I feel the average buyer in the segment will be looking for a Buick. In addition, GM has/will have the Astra for premium small-car buyers. You're point about other premium brands selling compacts, IMO, brings up a point of why NOT to sell one under Buick. Check those compacts' sales:

Audi A3 (Jan-Nov 2006 -- I could not find the full year for 2006): 7460

Saab 9-2x (Jan-Dec 2006): 1435

Acura TSX (I would consider this midsize, it is Accord-based, not Civic-based; notice Acura does not sell the Civic-based vehicle here that it does in Canada and has discontinued the RSX): 38035

Volvo S40: 24566

VW Jetta (this is more like the Astra): 103331

With the exception of the Jetta, nothing does over 25k here that is truly a small-car (TSX is more midsize), and the Jetta is without-a-doubt much more like the Astra than a potential Buick (which I would see more like the A3 or S40).

I would say that if the TSX is considered premium small-car then the 3er definitely is and the C-Class is as well. Going by that, BMW has already been there and done that. Also notice that BMW and MB have been hesitant to introduce the 1-Series and A-/B-Class here.

GM has more than enough brands to cover this segment; Chevy can cover the lower-to-mid end with the Cobalt/HHR/Aveo, Saturn can cover the mid-to-premium end with the Astra, and Pontiac can cover the sporty end with an Alpha-based vehicle. I think the money would be much better spent on a TE-based crossover below the Enclave. It should be relatively cheap to develop seeing as how the platform is already being developed for the BRX/9-4x and I could see Buick selling 80+k/year at a much higher profit than a Delta-based vehicle. I'd much rather see a mini-Enclave than a vehicle that will just get cannibalized by the Astra.

I wouldn't immediately dismiss the appeal of a compact Buick under GM's new global direction. GM isn't targeting 20 year olds with a premium Buick compact.

Saturn's Astra will go head-to-head with the Civic and next-gen Corolla. It may perform decently against Jetta, but I don't see Saturn "owning" any premium segment for the near future. That's a summary of Chevrolet and Saturn's market.

There's more to the growing compact segment than a fast-back European feel. Economics will not support a dedicated "large-vehicle brand." Delta II could possibly support AWD and a small V6. Both of those could open up Buick for a unique premium/luxury compact out of Saturn's demographic but perfect for US and China. Buick isn't following its undeserved stereotype anymore. Many people automatically reject anything outside of it, but they need to get used to it. Buick is a living/evolving brand (once again.)

Also consider... If Alpha truly is in jeopardy, this may be the beginning of GM's back-up plan to phase out Pontiac.

I wouldn't immediately dismiss the appeal of a compact Buick under GM's new global direction. GM isn't targeting 20 year olds with a premium Buick compact.

Saturn's Astra will go head-to-head with the Civic and next-gen Corolla. It may perform decently against Jetta, but I don't see Saturn "owning" any premium segment for the near future. That's a summary of Chevrolet and Saturn's market.

There's more to the growing compact segment than a fast-back European feel. Economics will not support a dedicated "large-vehicle brand." Delta II could possibly support AWD and a small V6. Both of those could open up Buick for a unique premium/luxury compact out of Saturn's demographic but perfect for US and China. Buick isn't following its undeserved stereotype anymore. Many people automatically reject anything outside of it, but they need to get used to it. Buick is a living/evolving brand (once again.)

Also consider... If Alpha truly is in jeopardy, this may be the beginning of GM's back-up plan to phase out Pontiac.

The Astra does compete against the Jetta though. VW and Opel are direct competitors, so how would Saturn and VW not be in the future? The Astra will compete against Civics and Corollas, but not the base models.

The other premium compacts don't sell very well, so I see no reason why the Buick would. It seems to me there is a very small market. Something like the TSX might make sense, but I think the next Aura will take care of that. Let Buick focus on the Enclave, Lucerne, LaCrosse, and TE-based X-over (and perhaps some other car down the line). It makes much more sense to have a mini-Enclave that is sure to be a success than a hit-or-miss small car that the Astra can be made to cover.

I can see this as a good idea considering the next Lacrosse is not a small car, but it would need to be bigger than the Cobalt. I think Buick should not consider this unless it bases in the mid-20s at least.

And the Jetta is a slightly premium economy car... not even close to Buick territory.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead