Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM previews 18 new models to european journalists

I saw an article about GM in a croatian car magazine a few days ago.

It had a big headline: "GM makes design number one priority".

They were invited to a top secret preview where they were shown 18 new GM cars that will come to the market in the next 2-3 years.

The cars they saw were: The new Vectra/Aura, new Chevrolet C-segment car (next Cobalt??), Cadillac BRX, Saab 9-4X and other cars they did not mention.

They said all of the new GM cars were beautiful.

They liked the new Cadillac BRX and SAAB 9-4X, they said both look great and both are BMW X-3 competitors. They said the SAAB 9-4X was full of SAAB DNA and had design features that were shown in recent concepts.

They said that the new Chevrolet C-segment car had very modern lines, and was also good looking. It will come to the market in two years.

However, they were most impressed with the new Vectra. They said they were shocked when they saw it. They only said that it looks alot like the GTC concept.

they also claim they saw the new Cadillac BTC, and I have no idea what that is??? That was all they said about that car...

I know it's not much, but I thought I'd share it with you...

GM needs this, a huge influx of cars in the market. Especially with the way gas prices are going, truck sales cannot sustain GM making money. So are the majority of these cars and small suvs going to be Europe only then, or are we going to have some of these for over here too?

B segment Touring Coupe (coupe of the BLS most likely).

i pray they don't call it that. BTC, CTC sound ridiculous.

Excellent that they are doing this with the european journalists, like the did her in the USA. It prolly makes them special, so their more inclinded to be more open to an american or GM product.

Edited by jbartley

Let's hear more abou the BRX and Vectra as these will most likely be some of the higher volume vehilces from this list. I predict we will see the new BRX this fall in Frankfurt to go on sale early next year in the States.

You're a year early.

They said the SAAB 9-4X was full of SAAB DNA and had design features that were shown in recent concepts.

The cool blue glow of the interior of the Aero X would be sweet. That has as much of a chance as the canopy top does though. Which I STILL think needs to be engineered into a production SAAB. We put a man on the moon, so why can't we design a practical canopy top for a production car. :angry:

they also claim they saw the new Cadillac BTC, and I have no idea what that is??? That was all they said about that car...

Interesting: last time I read anything about the Epsilon Cadillacs, GM had trademarked BLW and BLC, but not BTC...

Well at least we know that when BLS does come to America, there will at least two variants! And when they say C- segment Chev, do they mean the 'Bu?

They mean the GM Daewoo designed model based on the next European compact architecture—the Cobalt/Nubira/Optra/Lacetti replacement.

They mean the GM Daewoo designed model based on the next European compact architecture—the Cobalt/Nubira/Optra/Lacetti replacement.

And that'd be a single global model with several bodystyles, right?

Instead of calling the CTS-based coupe, the CTC, they should call it the CSC for C-series Sport Coupe and CSW for C-series Sport Wagon. Do the same thing with the BLS-based coupe and call it the BSC for B-series Sport Coupe? How's that sound?

Personally, I think they should keep the Sigma platform and amortize its development costs by creating multiple variants off of it.

1) They should keep the CTS in the entry-level luxury segment and offer both CSW, CSC coupe, & CSC convertible, along with a $40,000-50,000 long-wheel-base CTS-L sedan available with both 3.6L and 6.0L Corvette engines. Executives would love the CTS-L sedan with a 405hp 6.0L V-8!!

2) Then create a redesigned, bigger, longer STS and its long-wheel-base STS-L version to battle the 750i and 750iL. Beside the new 302 hp 3.6L engine, offer a range of more powerful V-8 engines. A much bigger, longer STS and even longer STS-L would attract more buyers. Look at the Audi A8 when a long-wheel-base A8-L model was added!! Sales shot up!!! The same can be said for the new Lexus LS-460-L. Then Cadillac could one-up the competition by offering an even longer version of the STS-L called the SLS with an extra 6 inches of wheelbase added. That would create a huge rear compartment for ottomans and reclining seats ala the Maybach 62.

3) Create a 5-series competitor called the FTS (F-series Touring Sedan) or LTS (L-series Touring Sedan) or MTS (M-series Touring Sedan). Then add a long-wheel-base (LWB) version along with a sleek sportwagon, LWB estate wagon, and coupe/convertible variants to battle the 5-series and 6-series range.

4) The SRX should not be dropped at all. It needs to be redesigned to look more massive, masculine, and more SUV-like. Right now, it's not tall enough. Look at how popular the BMW X-5 is, especially in V-8 form!!

18 cars, wow, that's alot! It could be any of these:

Chevy:

-next cobalt

-'nomad', we've been talking about

- production camaro

- Nox replacement

- next Impala

Cadillac:

-BRX

-next DTS

-CTS read-coupe & wagon

Buick:

Next Lax

Lucern replacement

Enclave 'Super'

Pontiac:

GTO

next G6

Torrent replacement

GMC:

Torrent/Nox suv

Arcida Denali

Sabb:

9-4X

next 9-5

Hummer:

H3T

H4

Acura/Vectra

Three or four bodystyles at least.

So GM is learning how to do it! One global model with different 'flavours': sell sedans where sedans sell better (NA), hatches wher they sel better (I'd guess that'd be Europe). Cool!

the emphasis on more is to imply that the hatches will also be sold where they traditionally haven't done well? like America?

I think it means all variants can be offered globally, with different local mixes: larger % of sedans in NA, larger % of hatches in Europe, for example. Edited by ZL-1

Not all markets will get all variants. It will depend on the volumes and the feasability of either local assembly or import. However if you build a hatchback in Mexico for the local market it would be easy enough to ship a few North, even if the volume doesn't justify assembly in the US.

Any chance the Cobalt is a lower, more smoothed-out (but not bland at all-i.e. less stubby with a longer hood, lower height, less busy sides, without the small window or black pillar ahead of the doors, a recent design element that just looks hideous on passenger cars) design of the 2006 WTCC Ultra concept? Or better yet, the Volt? Hopefully Cobalt will go from conservative, "cheap chick car" mediocrity to Sentra/3-type American class contender? I have faith in GM Daewoo, but it won't turn out as badly as the restyled Aveo did, will it? A coupe, sedan, wagon, and maybe 5-door hatchback sedan would be good for the Cobalt, if not more. And so this car, which I'm guessing will go under the Cobalt moniker, will also replace Optra, correct?

Any chance the Cobalt is a lower, more smoothed-out (but not bland at all-i.e. less stubby with a longer hood, lower height, less busy sides, without the small window or black pillar ahead of the doors, a recent design element that just looks hideous on passenger cars) design of the 2006 WTCC Ultra concept? Or better yet, the Volt? Hopefully Cobalt will go from conservative, "cheap chick car" mediocrity to Sentra/3-type American class contender? I have faith in GM Daewoo, but it won't turn out as badly as the restyled Aveo did, will it? A coupe, sedan, wagon, and maybe 5-door hatchback sedan would be good for the Cobalt, if not more. And so this car, which I'm guessing will go under the Cobalt moniker, will also replace Optra, correct?

No, It's going to look like a Mini-Malibu-at least the sedan will.

They may or may not have a coupe the next time around....though chances are better they will. :thumbsup:

And the Cobalt won't have a wagon/hatch-that's the HHR's job.

And I'm waiting to see what other cars will fall on the Delta II platform, Balt', Astra....