Freakin Dog!

Arkus keeps going through the invisible fence and I have to go find him before he gets hit on the road. I spent 2 hours looking for the furry jerk tonight, I need a solution.

I wonder if anyone knows how to hot rod a shock collar, the highest standard setting just isn't enough. :banghead:

After we realized that our beagle had a keen sense of adventure, my parents sprung for the invisible fence. It worked fine, until Suzie (our dog) realized that if she got a running start, she could get through the fence without being phased. The fence is still buried around the perimeter of our yard, but it hasn't been funtional since 1998 or so.

We found that investing in a stronger, longer leash and tightening her collar just a little bit have been much more effective methods of keeping her in the yard than the fence ever was.

After we realized that our beagle had a keen sense of adventure, my parents sprung for the invisible fence. It worked fine, until Suzie (our dog) realized that if she got a running start, she could get through the fence without being phased. The fence is still buried around the perimeter of our yard, but it hasn't been funtional since 1998 or so.

We found that investing in a stronger, longer leash and tightening her collar just a little bit have been much more effective methods of keeping her in the yard than the fence ever was.

Do you also need one of my retired Plant Floor Robots armed with a Klingon Pain Stick? Here Sweet Suzie, Börger (AKA: PCS) has a little treat for you! Here Girl! :P

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Why not a real fence? Or is it too rural / someone else's property? Very few of the houses in my Mom's subdivision in Portland have fences -- the lots are all stepped and they have that "keystone" wall system.

I know that when I get a dog, either an Australian Shepherd or a Border Collie, I will have a fence. After getting too attached to the animal, I wouldn't want anything to happen to it.

Beat his ass everytime he escapes.

Possible hip dysplasia...probably not a good approach.

Plus, if there's a bitch in heat somewhere in the neighborhood, you really think he'd remember the punishment that well?LOL.

I will never forget, while growing up in LA, in the middle of a major boulevard (3 lanes each directions), 5 dogs were taking turns trying to hump this one dog in heat. Traffic had to stop. Ah, yes, the call of the wild.

Edited by trinacriabob

Plus, if there's a bitch in heat somewhere in the neighborhood, you really think he'd remember the punishment that well?LOL.

I will never forget, while growing up in LA, in the middle of a major boulevard (3 lanes each directions), 5 dogs were taking turns trying to hump this one dog in heat. Traffic had to stop. Ah, yes, the call of the wild.

I don't have to worry about that... My dog Harley is undeniably gay. He is. Odd, isn't it? :P

When he gets loose, he does like to run about, though. One night, it took forever for me to find him and catch him... and he got sprayed by a skunk. Oh, what a pleasant time. That was months ago and he still smells. Luckilly, the house only smelled for a few weeks. Rascal, on the other hand, seems to be a good dog. Doesn't seem to be as mischievous as Harley, atleast outside of the house. He does have a habit of biting you when you try to correct him for going to bathroom in the house.

I don't have to worry about that... My dog Harley is undeniably gay. He is. Odd, isn't it? :P

When he gets loose, he does like to run about, though. One night, it took forever for me to find him and catch him... and he got sprayed by a skunk. Oh, what a pleasant time.

Comment 1:

Dogs are horny little f@#ks, period. Our female Australian Shepherd got impregnated a few times but, every once in a while, she would hump your leg. I've never been able to figure that out. (Also, isn't it amazing how a dog will let her owners handle her young wheres, with another animal, that's a recipe for death)

Comment 2:

Tomato juice bath...that's what I've heard

Comment 3:

Damn, in rural PA, do you guys have anything besides skunks, deer...and ocnblu? :lol:

My German Shepherd has a habit of destroying crates as well (I just reinforced the new crate door I bought!). We have the Invisible Fence too, which seems to work well....though luckily when she gets zapped, she retreats and doesn't test the boundary much! When I had mine installed, they could vary the field size emitted around the buried wire by adjusting the fence transmitter unit. Then they could increase the collar settings. Then the third thing they could do was turn off the 30 sec delay so if the dog entered the field they'd immediately get zapped instead of just the collar tone going off to signal them to retreat. With the delay enabled, if the dog runs fast enough at the fence, it can beat the shock. I think I have the 700 series, but there's a newer 800 series that might be better. Also, they do have a training collar system with a remote now as well.

Edited by BigPontiac

Comment 1:

Dogs are horny little f@#ks, period. Our female Australian Shepherd got impregnated a few times but, every once in a while, she would hump your leg. I've never been able to figure that out. (Also, isn't it amazing how a dog will let her owners handle her young wheres, with another animal, that's a recipe for death)

No, no, my dog is gay. He doesnt like female dogs. But male dogs... :P

I have my doubts about a fence working. Arkus is an escape artist and has even destroyed several crates rated for a dog like him. I have to chain the door to the current one closed, or he will escape.

My dog hated the crate we got for her, and she chewed a hole through it big enough to get out of!

That is my Killer Beagle! Snoopus Maximus!

If your beagle is anything like mine, the only thing he'll be killing is your sanity when he learns how to escape and your wallet when he realizes how much he likes to eat.

That Beagle is adorable..

And yes, I agree with DetroitNut90. Our Beagle knows how to do 3 things: 1) Eat A LOT! 2) Hunt and howl at random things during whatever hour of the day/night he deems necessary & 3) Act like he is way too cool to associate with you at least 35-40% of the time.

I went out and bought a huge crate for my new dog!

What was I thinking?

Posted Image

Sometimes it's a little tricky to crate train a small dog in a big crate... give it a shot.

Be careful with Beagles--they follow their nose... and they'll do whatever it takes to get what they desire... as did a friend's on Christmas day when it went to extreme lengths to get freshly-baked chocolate cookies it smelled inside a drawer in the kitchen (specifically put there just until the company arrived an hour later so the dog wouldn't get to them). Didn't exactly work.

Beagles are just so damn cute too... I would LOVE one, but I'm afraid with their baying it might disturb other people in the neighboring apartments.

That Beagle is adorable..

And yes, I agree with DetroitNut90. Our Beagle knows how to do 3 things: 1) Eat A LOT! 2) Hunt and howl at random things during whatever hour of the day/night he deems necessary & 3) Act like he is way too cool to associate with you at least 35-40% of the time.

Ohhh, so it will act like my In-laws! :rotflmao: