Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Nissan warns that U.S. cell phones can disable car keys

4 posts in this topic

Nissan warns that U.S. cell phones can disable car keys

Reuters |

May 25, 2007 - 10:00 am

DETROIT (Reuters) -- Nissan North America has a warning for customers: placing your electronic key too close to your cell phone could leave you stranded.

The automaker is asking customers driving new models of two of its flagship sedans to keep their car keys and cell phones at least an inch apart to avoid disabling the "intelligent keys."

Cell phones kept near Nissan's I-Keys -- wireless devices designed to allow drivers to enter and start their cars at the push of a button -- can erase the electronic code on the keys, rendering them unable to unlock or start the cars.

The problem has occurred on the 2007 Nissan Altima and Infiniti G35 sedans -- two of their top-selling models, the company said on Thursday, May 24.

What is it with these companies? We own a 2001 Civic and the airbags would throw an error. Dealer said, and showed us the paper work, that no electronic devises should be near the seats that included cell phones.

How about... hmmm... you just give me a metal key and screw pushing a button. I can turn metal and be JUST as happy.

File this one under "D'oh!"

That's gonna be a huge problem for Nissan. What about the vast number of customers that have both a cellular phone and one of these such keys both stored in their pants or purse? I hope the other magic Push-button systems (Cadillac, Lexus, et al) don't have this problem.