Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

The Magazines

mystik

Hey all, still relatively new to the forums but wanted your opinions on this. It has become a chip on my shoulder to read articles in magazines that downplay the domestics (namely in the 4 door and SUV segments). Question is this, with the Tahoe coming in next year, do you guys think that the magazine editors will either A. Commend it, give it a thumbs and and realize that domestics are making a move towards the imports throats. or B. Nitpick it, talk bad about it and give it a 3rd place or worse in a comparison test behind the Toyota Sequoia, 4runner, Honda Pilot, Nissan Pathfinder or otherwise. My concern isn't that the General wont make a strong showing with its new SUV's, but that these guys will give them bad publicity AGAIN as seems to be the trend. Go look at a Motor Trend and see what they write about the 2006 Corvette. "This Corvette may be the best yet but penny pinching is beginning to show". In the description. They placed the Cobalt in dead last in a comparison test between a Corolla, a Focus and a Civic. Saying it came to the fight with a knife instead of a gun. I understand that they have their opinions, but does it get to the point where its past reason, where its even past bias? Where it's just the fact that they don't like anything domestic? The absolute BEST example of this is the comparison between the BMW 5-Series and the Cadillac STS. They compare the two, and throughout the article the Caddy is constantly commended for not being too high-brow and being refined. The 5 series is labeled as "trying too hard" and I-Drive speaks for itself. You get to the end of the article, after what seems to be a clear win for the Caddy. Then it's like the editors said "Oh crap, if we keep going down this road we're gonna have to make the Cadillac the winner." Then go on to say how the two sedans "have different approaches" and that they can not claim a real winner. I was left dumbfounded. I can't help but wonder if the Cobalt had a damn "H" on its grill, would it get in 1st or 2nd in those comparo tests. They never nitpick the imports...

I think you will find magazine reviews will not effect the trucks as much. GM sell most of there truck to those who never darken the pages of many of these magazines. Brand loyalty runs deep in the truck market and the competitors from the east will make inroads but not have as easy time of doing it as they did the car market.

Welcome to reality, my friend. GM's biggest mistake, in their eyes, is not making available manual transmissions on every vehicle and still building (horrors!) push rod engines. Because of those two main reasons, they look down their noses at EVERYTHING GM builds. Car critics are no different than movie critics. They snipe and nitpick at every little thing, instead of just enjoying the damned movie! Just enjoy the damned vehicle and take it for what it is. Constructive criticism is a good thing; nitpicking is just BS.

They'll do everything in their power to discredit, sway consumers away from and write off these SUVs Mark my words... They know GM will die without these trucks and although some might show mercy, the extremists (LA TIMES, CONSUMER REPORTS, EDMUNDS, CAR & DRIVER, CHICAGO TRIBUNE, NEW YORK TIMES, DETROIT NEWS, WASHINGTON POST etc) will not. Just look how important the F-150 was to Ford and look how Consumer Reports has panned it for example, citing both the Tundra and Titan as much better trucks. (which is obviously a lie to even import minded people)

Mark my words... They know GM will die without these trucks and although some might show mercy, the extremists (LA TIMES, CONSUMER REPORTS, EDMUNDS, CAR & DRIVER, CHICAGO TRIBUNE, NEW YORK TIMES, DETROIT NEWS, WASHINGTON POST etc) will not.

[post="23320"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh, please... :rolleyes:

Welcome to reality, my friend.  GM's biggest mistake, in their eyes, is not making available manual transmissions on every vehicle and still building (horrors!) push rod engines.

[post="23235"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Whats the % of manual sells these days? 15%? and even then who would want a manual in a big old Tahoe? And GM Pushrod V8s are EXCEPTIONALLY potent no matter how you look at them, their V6 line leave something to be desired tho.

i know, imagine the fun of pushing your SUV hard through 2000rpm then shifting!  :lol:

[post="24125"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I just got (ordered) an '06 Jeep Liberty 4X4 with a 6-speed MANUAL as my new company car.

The clutch and shifter are light and smooth....NOT truck-ish like the Wrangler's is...so, combined with the 3.7L OHC V6, the 6-speed Jeep is nice to drive and fun also.

That's why I got it.....I needed an SUV, but wanted to continue to clutch and shift gears for myself.....

(However, a Jeep is smaller and more nimble.....I really can't see a full-size SUV with a manual unless it was a work-truck type special edition.)

theyll call it a massive improvement with a few flaws, which they will gladly point out and then pose the rhetorical question "but will it be enough to topple the class leaders?" and then the masses iwll still buy up massive quantities of each. It iwll be a success.

The Liberty needs a stick because the V-6 gets the same (real world) gas mileage as the Envoy. That came from an actual customer who traded in her 2002 Liberty for a Cobalt.

Edmunds cites the GMC Sierra and the Chevy Silverado as having questionable reliability... What the hell? Are they not the longest lasting most dependable trucks on the road? Where the hell do they get off on that one? My father has a 2004 GMC now, owned a 94 before that, and a 87 before that, a 85 before that and a 82 before that. He has never had any serious problems.
I thought it was a known thing that GM trucks were more reliable than any other. I guess someone at edmunds is spreading lies once again
Edited by Cremazie

the liberty has a stick?  wow....too bad its a chick SUV, i might want one then.

[post="26282"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yup....except you have to special-order it if you want the V6 and the good options like moonroof, infinity speakers, tow package, etc. That's what I did.

The only manuals the dealers tend to stock are price-leader 2WD, 4cyl, manuals.....and then, only very few are out there.

I don't think the Liberty is a chick SUV at all....sure it's "cute" but it has solid, real, off-road potential....and can tow the 5,000 lbs that I need. I think of chick SUVs as SUVs such as the Santa Fe, Tucson, Sportage, CR-V, RAV-4, et al.

The Liberty needs a stick because the V-6 gets the same (real world) gas mileage as the Envoy.  That came from an actual customer who traded in her 2002 Liberty for a Cobalt.

[post="26419"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, the mileage sucks.....I had an '04 Limited Auto 4X4 before getting my '06 and it got about 12 in the city, and 16-18 on the highway.

BUT, remember it's over 4,000 lbs so it's not light...it has a true, 4X4 system underneath it with a body-on-frame chassis....and it can tow 5,000 lbs.

SO...it might look the size of an Escape, CR-V, etc., but it has WAY more capability built in. I hated the mileage, but dealt with it because I liked having a more "truckish" SUV that I could take off-road, two our seadoos with, etc.

I'll be interested to see how the mileage compares with the '06 6-speed.

i know, imagine the fun of pushing your SUV hard through 2000rpm then shifting!  :lol:

[post="24125"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

WTH are you talking about? When is the last time you drove a 5/6 speed and shifted at 2000rpm? Is this supposed to be a jab at Pushrod engines? :mellow:

WTH are you talking about? When is the last time you drove a 5/6 speed and shifted at 2000rpm? Is this supposed to be a jab at Pushrod engines? :mellow:

[post="26741"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

well my friends truck shifts itself at about 1500-1600rpm so i imagine with a manual youd push it to 2000.

i push my pushrod to bout 4000before i shift... cause u know.. i like pushing rods.

They'll do everything in their power to discredit, sway consumers away from and write off these SUVs

Mark my words... They know GM will die without these trucks and although some might show mercy, the extremists (LA TIMES, CONSUMER REPORTS, EDMUNDS, CAR & DRIVER, CHICAGO TRIBUNE, NEW YORK TIMES, DETROIT NEWS, WASHINGTON POST etc) will not.

Just look how important the F-150 was to Ford and look how Consumer Reports has panned it for example, citing both the Tundra and Titan as much better trucks. (which is obviously a lie to even import minded people)

[post="23320"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Consumer reports! lol, what a joke, I don't see how anyone can take them seriously. Not accepting money for ads doesn't make you unbiased...