Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Motor Trend drives Buick Enclave

20 posts in this topic

I love it- Car and Driver is impressed with the steering of such a large vehicle and Motor Trend says this:

Steering pays homage to the numb Electra 225s of yore with poor feedback, especially on-center. Precision is decent, though, requiring few steering corrections.

Numb with "decent" precision. Very eloquent Motor Trend, why don't you find out why there is a chasm of difference between you and Car and Driver?

Oh, and Motor Trend wants you to know this too-

Downshifts often can't come quickly enough.

Well I guess Motor Trend isn't going to be racing the Enclave against the Corvette this year, Buick hasn't quite made it in to the sports car Motor Trend is looking for.

The wood and the leather steering-wheel rim feels good in your hands, but contrasts harshly with the hard plastic on the back of the steering-wheel hub, and some of the plastic and vinyl grains could be finer.

I should also point out that every quote I've posted so far has been the very last sentence at the end of every other paragraph in the article. Were they looking at how to purposely write negative things about the Enclave without making themselves look like paid-off jokes?

My favorite part of the article though is where Motor Trend actually "takes the time" in the Enclave review to explain how they would keep Buick afloat. Actually dedicating a whole section of a vehicle review to magnify Buick's declining sales and in their opinion so much that they need Motor Trend to give them the recipe for success. They somehow even downplayed the whole vehicle the entire article and made no overtly positive comments that would outweigh the above overt negative ones and in the end avoided making any serious comment about the Enclave by changing the subject! Jerks.

Edited by Cananopie

More:

WhyTF don't we read all this "divisional madness" about "tries to eradicate badge-engineeering again" when the subject is toyota or nissan sharing engines & platforms ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

>>"...proves the late columnist Herb Caen's postulation that "all American cars are basically Chevys.""<<

I hope to hell Caen was mowed down by a GMT-900 Tahoe with the cruise set on 15MPH, so he could study the underside. What an F-ing moronic statement based on less than nothing. Or did he also say 'all european cars are basically fiats'?

What; no he didn't??

>>"It moves okay and, as our June issue's comparison test indicates, is only a tenth of a tick slower to 60 mph or through the quarter mile than the lighter CX-9."<<

No doubt MT said the cx-9 'moved OK, but it was a major disappointment it barely out-accelerated the heavier Enclave'.

What; no they didn't??

>>"There's something to that "Quiet Tuning" marketingspeak."<<

GASP!! You mean it's not outright lies and marketing spin after all? At least all the other writer-favored brands marketspeak claims are also openly doubted with quotation marks and snide insinuations.

What; no they aren't??

>>"...special damping material on the underbody (tar)

it's well screwed together"<<

That's it, suck any pretensions out of it ASAP. 'Tar' & 'screwed together'- sounds real high tech. Just keepin' Buick in it's place, ya know.

>>"The Enclave is still mass-produced, though."<<

So are all mercedes, BMWs, audis, infinitis, lexuses AT LEAST up to $75K... thanks for the reminder, douches.

>>"some of the plastic and vinyl grains could be finer."<<

So could they be also in every mercedes, BMW, audi, infiniti & lexus...

>>"General Motors' number of divisions...

...shared with Pontiac and GMC.

GM...

...a rebadged GMC.

...GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook.

...Chevrolet

...Outlook.

...GMT360/375 (Chevy TrailBlazer/GMC Envoy/Buick Rainier/Saab 9-7x/Isuzu Ascender)

...Hummer crossover

...GM

...Pontiacs and Buicks, Mercurys, and Chryslers

...basically Chevys.

...Buick Rainier

...GMC Yukon

...Yukon or Rainier six

...Acadia or Outlook.

...the Acadia

...Outlook

...Acadia Denali"<<

Anyone see this from the Enclave article?? Only vehicle anyone in their right mind (like MT writers) would consider is another GM. The proof is already in: too many divisions, no cross-shopping, they're all just Chevys and thusly, disposable and below contempt. This is another reason any marketing push for "GM" is a huge mistake- these hack 'journalists' keep reguritating the same old wives tales from 1975 over and over and over. MT actually used the term 'badge-engineered' like they have any clue what the definition is of that?

How is GM ever supposed to get a fair shake from the present 'journalistic' system, which is akin to a Powerglide 2-speeed automatic today???

Here's their mindset: Why we bothered with a Byoo-ick is beyond us; now- where's this month's BMW and mercedes'??

It's someone difficult to fathom that people are actually paid to write malformed drivel like that.

Give us a spec sheet, a few interior and exterior photos and just about anyone at C&G could exceed the quality of that article.

These are the same people who thought the Acura MDX should be compared to the Acadia and Mazda CX-9.

Motortrend SUCKS!!

Fellas....these are the same pricks that love the mazda cx-9, but are totally negative about the Ford Edge.

People that don't think there is a bias against AMERICAN cars within the media are fools. I've read the crap every month for 20 years. It's for real.

People complain about Car & Driver, but reading both it and Motor Trend back to back, I think it's pretty clear that Motor Trend is a joke.

When better Buicks are built: GM tries to eradicate badge engineering, again

Not one line in and we can already tell that this review is written by an anti-GM asshole.

It's the type of paradox that makes General Motors' number of divisions such a dilemma. Buick sells 72 percent of its cars in North America through dealerships shared with Pontiac and GMC. GM hopes to have all those dealers selling all three brands someday soon, so the last thing Buick needs is a rebadged GMC. And yet, to reestablish itself as an aspirational marque for buyers (well) under 65, the first thing it needs is something with the style and elegance of the new Enclave.

Is it also a paradox that pretty much ALL asian luxury vehcile are BADGE ENGINEERED versions of lesser sushi wagons as well? Then it must be a paradox that Scion is essentially a BADGE ENGINEERED division of 20th century Toyota products, right? That's what I thought...

You know what the Enclave is under its voluptuous skin. GM's Lambda platform provides seven or eight seats with a minivan-size third row, a 275-horsepower, 3.6-liter V-6, six-speed automatic transmission, and front or intelligent all-wheel drive in the GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook.

Obviously, the author has a vendetta to settle here as the tone of this statement is akin to one of those hunchback old women who shakes their finger in your face while preaching the latest and greatest "revelation" that makes you say '"Umm yeah, so what?" It's almost as if this writer is jealous that GM has had so much success with Lambda, and by god it has--especially the Enclave, that he is trying to stiffle the whole program by spewing bull&#036;h&#33;. (Much like the anti-Hummer idiots do when they say that the H2 is simply a Suburban with Hummer sheet metal)

Even if this Buick Lambda represents another example of GM platform-model proliferation through its myriad carlines

The same journalists that say GM should consolidate are now bitching at them for playing on the success of a VERY strong platform? Oh, I forgot, GM is so WELL established in the market that it has 8 divisions, unlike the paltry 2 or 3 of the LESSER automakers.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

These days, brand distinction is done not with "a car for every purse and every purpose," but with marketspeak catchwords and phrases. When it works well, it justifies Pontiacs and Buicks, Mercurys, and Chryslers. When it doesn't, it proves the late columnist Herb Caen's postulation that "all American cars are basically Chevys."
Okay 1) So you're telling me that these GM cars and trucks are more identical than 60's GM cars.... Better yet, you're telling me that the 80's era cars were more "Individualistic" than these offering... Or, are you trying to tell me that the imports seem to have more individualistic offerings for their divisions... How about that Isuzu Rodeo/ Honda Passport of a few years back? I mean, f**k, at least we don't share the VERY SAME VEHICLE with competitors. Or how about that new ES that is essentially a top option Camry. The 350Z and the Infiniti counterpart to it sure are A LOT different, right? Oh, and wait how about those VWs and Audis? They're really individualistic nowadays aren't they.

2) If all american cars are basically Chevies, then does that mean Aston Martins and Saleens are manufactured by GM? What about those Land Rovers and Saabs, they're Chevies, right? But then again, if you believe that columnist then I guess it explains why you're so stupid in the first place.

is only a tenth of a tick slower to 60 mph or through the quarter mile than the lighter CX-9.

And this performance justifies: "It moves okay"?!?!?!?! And BTW, if you're that concerned with DRAG RACING you're 7 passenger BUICK luxury SUV, then you can wait until next year when the V8 option comes and STFU.

But all that weight makes the six-speed labor hard to launch you out of tight turns, up hilly roads. Downshifts often can't come quickly enough.
Oh, I forgot. NATURALLY some people will want to autocross and hill climb their Enclaves as well. THANK GOD we have Motor Trend, this endless source of useless automotive wisdom, to advise all 9 of those people that they might be better suited in something like a Solstice or Corvette.
...comfortable crossover utility where the size and weight will make you back off well below the limits.

Yet you just evaluated it negatively by pushing it to it's limits.

Steering pays homage to the numb Electra 225s of yore with poor feedback, especially on-center. Precision is decent, though, requiring few steering corrections.
So it's numb, yet precise?!?!? Apparently Motor Trend editors haven't quite figured out the definition for oxymoron yet. But they do however have the definition for MORON down pat. Oh, and I love that since GM is toying with bringing back the Electra name MT is already taking a sh*t all over it as much as they can.
The Enclave gets several things at the factory that its intradivisional counterparts don't: an acoustic laminated windshield and front-door side glass, special damping material on the underbody (tar), and triple door seals and engine mounts.

But I thought this was badge engineering at it's best?!?!?! BTW, It's funny that the bottom of the Buick is laminated by "TAR" yet had it been a Lexus review we would've read a paragraph about some magical liquid that actually smooths the road out for the car while planting flowers in the median.

and it's well screwed together.
Glad it's that simple...
The Enclave is still mass-produced, though.

WTF is that supposed to mean? Since it is after all "a chevy, just like all other american cars" I'd bet it is...

The wood and the leather steering-wheel rim feels good in your hands, but contrasts harshly with the hard plastic on the back of the steering-wheel hub,
Revised continuation of the sentence: THAT NOBODY CARES ABOUT
and some of the plastic and vinyl grains could be finer.

LOL... That's a whole new low... Trying to justify buying an import over the grain on the dash. Funny.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

What? You don't drive with your hands on the back of the steering wheel hub? :lol:

The washer fluid bottle cap is also undampened and made from cheap, shiny black plastic. I saw it at the factory. Cheap-ass GM. :rolleyes:

The real advantage these new things have over trucky SUVs is that they can legitimately be called cars.

Exactly how is that an advantage? I mean, if you're self conscious enough to actually care what the green party thinks, then I could MAYBE see it. But otherwise, who cares?

Tall as it is, with its length and proportions, the Buick Enclave melds SUV and minivan into a modern station-wagon shape, heir to an early 1950s Roadmaster Estate or a 1971 Estate Wagon. Squish one of those wagons at both ends to make it not quite so long, but taller for good interior space, like watching a wide-screen movie on a small, square TV, and you've got the Enclave.

Or you could just look at the damn picture... Jesus.

The Buick costs a couple grand more than the Acadia, which costs a couple grand more than a base Outlook;

Exactly; "A different car for every purse and purpose."

Nevertheless, it'll be interesting to see whether Buick-Pontiac-GMC dealers demand an Acadia Denali. If the Buick Enclave does its job, dealers won't want one.

And why is that? The Acadia and Enclave sell to completely different segments of the market. With this logic, Toyota wouldn't need to market a top option Camry along side a Lexus ES. But, then again, I guess those who can't understand the industry often write about it.

When the 2009 LaCrosse gets this platform, it should start as well equipped as a midlevel Saturn Aura and option up to full-boat luxury

BUT WAIT! That would be the very same badge engineering so loathed by this very author. So which is it?

THE VERDICT: Further proof that Motor Trend is full of hacks and has beens.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

FOG, while I agree with your sentiments overall, I gotta pick a couple of nits:

How about that Isuzu Rodeo/ Honda Passport of a few years back? I mean, f**k, at least we don't share the VERY SAME VEHICLE with competitors.

Posted ImagePosted Image

The 350Z and the Infiniti counterpart to it sure are A LOT different, right?

The Infiniti at least is on a stretched version of the same platform as the Z - it's more than a straight reskin:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nissan 350Z — Wheelbase: 2649 MM (104.3 in)

Infiniti G35 — Wheelbase 112.2 inches

-RBB

People complain about Car & Driver, but reading both it and Motor Trend back to back, I think it's pretty clear that Motor Trend is a joke.

Motor Trend's photography department + MT's layout + Car & Driver's monthly prose + most of C&D's editors + Un-biased opinions + real car enthusiasts = One damn good car rag.

But who's gonna publish that kinda thing? :(

Motor Trend's photography department + MT's layout + Car & Driver's monthly prose + most of C&D's editors + Un-biased opinions + real car enthusiasts = One damn good car rag.

But who's gonna publish that kinda thing? :(

Road & Track

Maybe I should cancel my motor trend, bastards, they pick everything apart.

I have read multiple reviews on the Lambdas and other vehicles with the new Ford+GM 6-speed auto and they all say the same thing: it's slow shifting and can become confused because it is geared toward fuel economy.

I have read multiple reviews on the Lambdas and other vehicles with the new Ford+GM 6-speed auto and they all say the same thing: it's slow shifting and can become confused because it is geared toward fuel economy.

Under normal driving conditions It's actually quick to shift out of 1st and 2nd. If you drive aggressively it will hold those gears longer. But... under normal driving conditions they (based on driving our Enclave) move just fine! Even under light acceleration from a stop light, the Enclave was out of the hole (now in 3rd gear) and about it's car length ahead of a GMT800 Tahoe that was also at the light (the Tahoe was barely shifting out of 1st).

Don't know if I made it clear, but... our Enclave, which is the heaviest of the bunch, gets going without any problems. If you want it to move a little faster, be more aggressive with the gas pedal (i.e. push the pedal a little quicker, not just slowly pushing it farther). And... there's always the option of using the manu-matic controls on the shifter. Our's wasn't broken in yet last weekend, but I'll test that feature out soon...

Just got my MT today, and Wow! First they bash GM rebadges and now they bash using the same platform even though it's interior is completely different and uses different sheetmetal. Some recent past articles were pretty decent on GM cars but this one was pretty flat out harsh!

MT has been trash since the lost C. Van Tune. (And even then they weren't that great)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0