Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Car and Driver drives Buick Enclave

26 posts in this topic

Thank God they didn't take the cheap shot: "But is it too little too late?" or something like that. They were able to mention Buick's declining sales in a way that wasn't an obvious smack against Buick.

What exactly are "functional" portholes? They go through the sheet metal, they allow air to pass through them... was Buick claiming they did something else?

Car and Driver makes Motortrend look like something a 7th grader wrote.

I hate alot of what MT and CD say but I still subscribe and read them anyways.

Its great to read a GM product review where everyone agrees GM has become competitve again. I cant remember the last time a GM product got such a positive review!

>>"What exactly are "functional" portholes? "<<

I don't know if the Enclave's VentiPorts are 'functional' or not, but if they are, what advantage of their function would be a detriment were they NOT functional? IE: just how much 'functioning' would functional VentiPorts be, exactly??

Not much of anything, as far as this amateur engineer can see... so what's the BFD? Why even mention it?

They had to find something negative so the port-holes were it. :rotflmao: Very minor but leave it to C&D to find a flaw.

Throughout Buick's history, very, very few models had ventiports of any functionality. I want to see if anyone pointed out this glaring detail in their old issues...

Posted Image

For 1979, the LeSabre returns with a turbocharged Sport Coupe that again wears nonfunctional portholes.

:rolleyes:

I am still extremely curious to know what would officially make the ventiports "functional"... obviously air passing through them doesn't make them functional. What Buicks DID have functional portholes and what made them functional as opposed to the nonfunctional ones?

>>"What exactly are "functional" portholes? "<<

I don't know if the Enclave's VentiPorts are 'functional' or not, but if they are, what advantage of their function would be a detriment were they NOT functional? IE: just how much 'functioning' would functional VentiPorts be, exactly??

Not much of anything, as far as this amateur engineer can see... so what's the BFD? Why even mention it?

I guess it would be a way to cool off the engine bay if positioned correctly, but that wouldn't really matter unless you had a way to et cold air into the engine bay as well.

Thank God they didn't take the cheap shot: "But is it too little too late?" or something like that. They were able to mention Buick's declining sales in a way that wasn't an obvious smack against Buick.

What exactly are "functional" portholes? They go through the sheet metal, they allow air to pass through them... was Buick claiming they did something else?

I don't believe the Enclave's go through the sheetmetal.

I guess it would be a way to cool off the engine bay if positioned correctly, but that wouldn't really matter unless you had a way to et cold air into the engine bay as well.

I know the press bitched that the '08 Cooper S retained a hoodscoop (newly non-functional), even though its new turbocharged engine didn't need one.

I don't believe the Enclave's go through the sheetmetal.

You're correct they don't go through they're a totally solid piece

post-438-1180567386_thumb.jpg

Well they should, it's too classy not to.

>>"What exactly are "functional" portholes?"<<

The dogs at the magazines will harp & harp if they do not go thru the sheetmetal, ie: "functional", but again: merely punching thru the steel provides what measurable benefit ?? Even "functional" hoodscoops are very seldom positioned properly to take advantage of non-negative pressure airflow and actually DO something measurable... but as long as the dogs can peer thru the scoop, they're convinced they're getting their money's worth.

Only Buicks that I know of to have "functional" VentiPorts were the early '49s (I've seen one) and the '87 GNX.

I agree: punch the fender; it is classier, it'll fool the fools, and I don't care if they extract hot air or whathaveyou; I like holes.

Yes.... port holes should be functional.

The only problem with adding vented portholes to the vehicle is in the present location of where the portholes are there's a second layer of sheetmetal about 3/4 of an inch apart from the outside layer

Obviously, whatever tooling change involved in punching the skin would have to also incorporate some punching thru of the inner panel... otherwise the auto 'journalists' would be sticking a scope thru the portholes to see if they ducted thru to the engine compartment... again: for what purpose, I cannot imagine.

But you know their collective toes must curl when they're able to scream "FAKE!!", by association damning the entire rest of the vehicle.

Do you know whether they're installed with adhesive or clips? I'd imagine it could be removed with dental floss for a cleaner look.

I'm sure the hood is stamped with an impression where the porthole trim goes. With "functional" portholes, you would open a can of worms... underhood water management, for one. The way cooling systems and underhood airflow are managed these days, it would not be worth it to make the vents functional, especially with what I suspect would be minimal benefit.

After sitting in a new Enclave this weekend and giving the twice over, damn the portholes this is one extremely fine vehicle. It put my SRX to shame in the style department (I wish it had the 320 horses though). It was just gorgeous, people were crossin the street and staring at it.

My dealer got one today and tons of people were over on the dealers second lot looking at the Silver CXL Chrome wheeled beauty... Someone in a new Lexus IS was looking at it too... :unsure:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0