Anyone have experience with RWD Malibus?

1980 Chevy Malibu

4dr sedan. A/T, Cold A/c., New brakes, good tires. Good condition, a couple of minor dents. Drives good. 137k miles. 3.8 V6.

$650 OBO

Selling to close estate.

Clicky

Posted Image

Reliable? Easy to fix? I hope its not a 'Classic' with glued-in rear windows.

Well, they are G bodies, so a LOT of mechanical/chassis components are interchangable, and they're super easy to work on with ample room in the engine bay.

I'd lose the molding, and something doesn't look quite right on the rear 1/4 above the left side taillight. Still, if you're interested, I'd pick it up before 68 and XP drive down to Tampa and scoop it up on you.

Holy cow, Fly!

You thinking of buying that? If so ... GO for it! Looks like a GREAT deal, imho.... Dangum ... that's the kind of deal I'm looking for....

I don't have any direct experience with Malibus, but I know MightyMouse (MI) does ... and a few of my friends from other MC groups do, as well. From what I know from them, yes to both reliability and easy to fix.....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I saw an old Malibu" ... Doug Stone ... 'I Thought It Was You'

In the picture from the right side 3/4 front, you can see the front bumper is pushed back on the driver's side, then in the pic from the driver's side 3/4, you can see a buckle in the driver's side fender, indicating the possibility that the bumper was hit hard enough to buckle that fender... which may mean hidden damage to the frame on that side.

I love these cars. A/G body coupes go for good money. I've heard stories of owners being harrassed by potential buyers to sell.

You know the rear door windows do not open on these sedans (re: your "glued in windows" comment), but the small quarter glass swings out, I believe.

Should be simple as falling off a log to work on. That's one of the things that are so appealing about these cars and RWD vehicles in general.

Nice Malibu....brings back memories (grandparents had a blue '81 'Bu sedan) and no the rear glass does not roll down, only the quarter glass swings open and ocn stated. I never understood why GM did that...I would inspect it first before buying...but for 650...a little body damage is fine...just make sure the frame is solid.

Guessing, but the rear door trim panels on all of GM's A/G sedans were "hollowed out" at the armrest. Was this a last-minute effort to increase rear seat elbow room to meet or exceed the previous model for bragging rights? The design left no room for a mechanism for a moveable glass... cost cutting? Not one of GM's better ideas.

Cool, buy it. Not a bad little car for the money.

Just like O.B. said: this is a perfect case of an

American car that ANYONE can work on.

Eh, rougher than imagined. Could barely see the broken speedometer and fuel gauge through the yellowed plexiglas. Transmission bucked into gears, slipped. Reverse was questionable. Some rust through on the lower edges of two doors. Slight exhaust smell in cabin. Burning oil. Good eye, Ocn. It was hit a bit hard.

Oh well...

Last RWD car my parents ever owned.

Just PM NDL and he'll tell you what a HUGE PIECE OF $h! that car was. I was very young... they had a 1982 Malibu Classic... white with blue vinyl. Dark blue interior. I loved the wheelcovers for some reason. But when I tell you, EVERYTHING was f@#ked up on that car.

Hmmm... a/c didn't work from like a year in. No matter how many times it was fixed, it never stayed working.

Rear windows don't open... just the little strips open an inch.

I kept burning out a fuse, but we didn't know what was causing it. When I was little and used to ride in the center seat in the front, I would get bored waiting for mom to get out of stores and such, and push the cigarette lighter in to make it glow. Each time I did that I was apparently burning out the fuse with the horn. Mom got backed into by a truck because there was no horn (from me of course). We didn't figure it out until I was little and I pushed it in at nighttime, and sparks came flying out under the steering wheel.

Check engine light was on from like day 2. Black tape fixed that.

Again, PM NDL, he'll tell you all about it. I don't think the POS even made it to 100K miles.

Paolino's experience isn't a common one with these cars, most are reliable or already junked.

There are lots of them still out there on the road to choose from. They tend to be inexpensive, and some are actually increasing in value so they are often a good buy. Good move passing on the one you found as there are too many available to start with a trashed one.

But, I'm curious, why are you interested in this type of car, Fly?

The two -doors tend to be better preserved and hold their value (caminos and wagons too). Most of the sedans are throw- aways. Even so, a clean sedan can be had for next to nothing and makes an excellent candidate for cheap transportation. Look for a Cutlass if you want a sedan as most were pretty well-equipped for their time.

But, I'm curious, why are you interested in this type of car, Fly?

My unlimited budget dream cars include true classics like Imperials, '58 Buicks and Bonnevilles, Ninety-Eights and the like from the 1950s and 60s. However, practicality almost always wins out in those situations. Sure, I could probably get a such a car for $5-8,000, but what do I actually have? A fifty year-old car with funny smells, unknown repair history, hard-to-find parts, and no real amenities...like air conditioning...is that even an amenity nowadays? Now, don't get me wrong, one day I wouldn't mind spending time, money, etc. on such a car, but right now, its just not at all practical. Plus, I do want something drivable on a daily basis if I so choose, which means decent comfort, reliability, ease of maintenance, and - yes - air conditioning. Cars of that vintage usually don't work out; cars of 1975+, though, usually do.

Also, my taste in cars is - and always has been - very eclectic. I love the Aurora, Eldorado, Mark VIII; who doesn't love those cars? But if I could get my hands on a decent J-body Skyhawk for a low amount of money, you bet I'd take it...and who else would? I guess I like the fact that certain GM cars from the past 30 years have gone completely unappreciated and unloved and are therefore nonexistent today. You see plenty of Trans Ams and Corvettes, but when have you seen a Century coupe? A '79-85 Riviera in good shape? A fullsize B-body Bonneville that isn't slammed? An E-body Toronado? Keep your SS Camaro, I'll take a Berlinetta simply because they don't exist anymore. And I know many will call 'travesty!' on this, but I would rather have a Diesel Cutlass Ciera, an '87 Toronado Trofeo, and an AWD Pontiac 6000 over any Corvette of similar vintage.

There are plenty of Corvettes and Mustangs around. Who is going to save those cars? They're part of GM history, too. And not quite so bad either.

I guess I aimed a little bit low with the '80 Malibu here. The price would've made this car a steal in better condition.

Every fantasize about a 92 Buick Century Special with it's own never-ending water supply in the trunk, Fly? I know where you can find one.

It's silver with, well, some call it rust, and others say it has a patina finish. :AH-HA_wink:

My unlimited budget dream cars include true classics like Imperials, '58 Buicks and Bonnevilles, Ninety-Eights and the like from the 1950s and 60s. However, practicality almost always wins out in those situations. Sure, I could probably get a such a car for $5-8,000, but what do I actually have? A fifty year-old car with funny smells, unknown repair history, hard-to-find parts, and no real amenities...like air conditioning...is that even an amenity nowadays? Now, don't get me wrong, one day I wouldn't mind spending time, money, etc. on such a car, but right now, its just not at all practical. Plus, I do want something drivable on a daily basis if I so choose, which means decent comfort, reliability, ease of maintenance, and - yes - air conditioning. Cars of that vintage usually don't work out; cars of 1975+, though, usually do.

Also, my taste in cars is - and always has been - very eclectic. I love the Aurora, Eldorado, Mark VIII; who doesn't love those cars? But if I could get my hands on a decent J-body Skyhawk for a low amount of money, you bet I'd take it...and who else would? I guess I like the fact that certain GM cars from the past 30 years have gone completely unappreciated and unloved and are therefore nonexistent today. You see plenty of Trans Ams and Corvettes, but when have you seen a Century coupe? A '79-85 Riviera in good shape? A fullsize B-body Bonneville that isn't slammed? An E-body Toronado? Keep your SS Camaro, I'll take a Berlinetta simply because they don't exist anymore. And I know many will call 'travesty!' on this, but I would rather have a Diesel Cutlass Ciera, an '87 Toronado Trofeo, and an AWD Pontiac 6000 over any Corvette of similar vintage.

There are plenty of Corvettes and Mustangs around. Who is going to save those cars? They're part of GM history, too. And not quite so bad either.

I guess I aimed a little bit low with the '80 Malibu here. The price would've made this car a steal in better condition.

Okay, I get you.

I like quirky cars too (maybe a bit less quirky than some you listed). I was just having a hard time imagining you in the Malibu and I wondered what the motivation was. :AH-HA_wink:

One look in my garage and you can see that I have ecclectic tastes as well.

BTW: I'll have a '77 Chevelle wagon ready before too long - if you're interested. :lol:

With A/C!

Keep your SS Camaro, I'll take a Berlinetta simply because they don't exist anymore. And I know many will call 'travesty!' on this, but I would rather have a Diesel Cutlass Ciera, an '87 Toronado Trofeo, and an AWD Pontiac 6000 over any Corvette of similar vintage.

Who would call that a travesty?

Certainly not me ... nor would most of the people I know who are car enthusiasts. As you noted, you see plenty of Corvettes and Mustangs around ... as well as Camaros, Thunderbirds, etc. It's very cool to see an older car that you don't see much anymore, such as the ones you noted.

Do you have a certain mileage radius in which you are looking?

"I knew she was a jewel in disguise" ... Kathy Mattea ... '455 Rocket'

Do you have a certain mileage radius in which you are looking?

Naturally, within driving distance (~30 miles) is preferred so I can take a peek and drive. It would have to be a special car with the ability to make it to Florida on its own steam otherwise.

I usually buy cars which are within driving distance.... but to me driving

distance means pretty much anywhere in New England. My Super 88

was about 40 miles away... my '59 Buick & '86 Cadillac were about 100

miles away while the flattop Electra B-59 that I was looking at in Maine

last year was about 130 miles away from me.

oh, you are so not alone in this one. I have been searching for a cheapy unappreciated ride from late 70's to mid 80's for the wife to putz around town in. Perhaps a 79 - 81 Buick with the 3.8 turbo? The aforementioned Berlinetta Camaro is ALWAYS on my radar screen...if I find an '86 in black with t-tops and a digital dash - damned right I will buy it. I tend to stay with the RWD cars as I have never liked the FWD stuff from any maker...but might be willing to 'suffer' with a clean Trofeo...

Hell, our '82 Buick Lesabre with the 3.8 would pull 30 mpg all day long when tuned up. That is a big, safe, UNSEEN car around here any more. Most were crushed long ago here in the rust belt.

Good move passing on that 'bu. too rough, even for the $$$. There are better ones out there...and with gas at $3.50 a gallon, people will look past the 'big iron' that we all love for the 10 year old hyundai or Honda on the back lot. Keep a weather eye on the horizon and I am sure you will soon be sporting a proper boat from the past. :thumbsup:

Oh man, AmRev, that would be so sweet. Stick a later model SFI Turbo 3.8 under the hood and watch out! I like the '78-'80 Regal coupes. I'd really like to find a '79 Century Turbo Coupe (the fastback one) one day and stick a bad-ass later engine in it out of a Grand National.

Naturally, within driving distance (~30 miles) is preferred so I can take a peek and drive. It would have to be a special car with the ability to make it to Florida on its own steam otherwise.

Cool ... I only asked because I know "driving distance" is different for different people. I would certainly keep an eye out for ya, but I think IL is a bit more than that 30-mile radius ;). He he.

"Can you make these big wheels burn?" ... Ronnie Milsap ... 'Smokey Mountain Rain'

Hmm...well, in that case, you might want to check out this site:

http://www.countryclassiccars.com/

It is about 5 hours south of me ... near St Louis. I stopped there during my October road trip last year. Now, I wasn't really looking to buy, so I didn't really look at the cars all that closely, but I'm told they can be "high priced" for the car. BUT, a couple that might peak your interest:

http://www.countryclassiccars.com/spcars_460.htm

http://www.countryclassiccars.com/spcars_434.htm

http://www.countryclassiccars.com/spcars_421.htm

And ... I'll keep an eye out for you around here. Sometimes ... the best cars are the ones NOT advertised anywhere but sitting alongside the road (at someone's home or business, of course!) ...

"Look at everything that's come and gone" ... Bryan Adams ... 'Summer of 69'