Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quantum110

An Idea that just popped in my head...

8 posts in this topic

I know a lot of you focus on designing cars that could exist now or in the future. I'm actually curious if anyone would be willing to undertake a big "What if" from the past. The idea...In 1970 GM decides, instead of just importing Opel's to Buick Dealers, to start a new car division. In this little scenario, Saturn is born 20 years early. Basicly, I'd think it would be neat to see what Saturns may have looked like using 70's design based on the 70's Opel platforms. Sky---GT Ion---Kadett Aura---Ascona Vue---Rekord Wagon Edited by quantum110

COOL!! I like the way your MIND WORKS!! :cheers:

Basically, I would just take off the lightning bolt in a circle and put on a Saturn emblem made from chrome plated pot metal with pins through holes in the bodywork. Job done! Cool idea, to warp time like that.

I was hoping someone would have maybe an idea of some body changes that gould be done to separate the look a bit from the Opels they would be based on. Maybe more of a notched back instead of the sloping rear of the GT, a different style of tailights, and a redesigned front-end. Maybe I need to brush up on my AutoChop skills here, and see what I can come up with...

Of course, opels were never sold as "Buicks" but as "opels" at Buick dealerships.

Of course, opels were never sold as "Buicks" but as "opels" at Buick dealerships.

[post="23504"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Dangit, I don't know why I wrote it like that this morning...wasn't awake yet I guess.

I would have done what basically really happened and sold the Opels and Vauxhalls here as Chevys instead. The Rekord (Brazilian Chevy Opala) would have been the Nova (it even looked like the Nova a little)...out here, however, you would have had the smallblock as the top engine option, as opposed to stopping at the stovebolt six. Kadett/Astra (the world T-body) would have still been the Chevette, adding the notchbacks and wagon The GT, however, I would have given to Pontiac. Manta and Vega would have been a world H-car, again with America's going to Pontiac, probably with the name Manta, meaning the Vega and Astre names wouldn't have happened. The Diplomat (an Opel many of you have never heard of) would have shared a chassis with the American X-body the car basically looked like, but in America, would have only been a Pontiac (Ventura/Phoenix). Olds, Buick, and Caddy would have stuck to making the big cars we grew up seeing all of GM make. Yep, definitely a re-education process in the 70s.

[post="23504"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

And of course judging from the 1971 Opel Manta Rallye the I owned, they were......CRAP!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room