Rented a Cobalt

We rented an '07 Cobalt Coupe in Denver last weekend. Overall, it was a solid little car, and even after lots of flogging up and down mountainous roads, we averaged over 30 mpg...EXCELLENT! If there were any detractors, it would be the hard interior plastics and the wheezy-whiny mechanical noises from the engine. Of course, we're accustomed to driving cars in a different class - in our garage is a new Subaru Legacy and new Honda Civic.

Also, for comparison notes, I recently rented an '07 PT Cruiser (handled almost a good as my Civic!!) and an '07 Jetta (supple, fast, but with weird engine noises).

My final take: the Cobalt is an attractive, easy driver.

Interesting review....

My parents bought an '06 Cobalt (orange) sedan a few weeks ago. I have yet to drive it. Probably will get the chance to do so this coming Thursday, as we'll be going into Chicago for my 6-month cardiology checkup.

I drove an '06 coupe about a year or so ago. While that drive is not all that fresh in my mind any longer, it'll be interesting to see how the sedan handles/drives....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I've had enough" ... REO Speedwagon ... 'Time For Me To Fly'

I rented a Cobalt sedan last June when my wife and I went on our honeymoon. I don't usually go for compact cars, but this was all we could afford.

That said, I was very pleased with the Cobalt, especially the gas mileage. Only thing I didn't like was that the steering was way too light for my tastes.

We rented an '07 Cobalt Coupe in Denver last weekend. Overall, it was a solid little car, and even after lots of flogging up and down mountainous roads, we averaged over 30 mpg...EXCELLENT! If there were any detractors, it would be the hard interior plastics and the wheezy-whiny mechanical noises from the engine. Of course, we're accustomed to driving cars in a different class - in our garage is a new Subaru Legacy and new Honda Civic.

Also, for comparison notes, I recently rented an '07 PT Cruiser (handled almost a good as my Civic!!)

The Civic and the Cobalt are in the same class. The Cobalt should be as good as the Civic, the fact that it makes you think the Civic is in another class says a lot about how far the Cobalt needs to go.

On another note, the PT handled that good? That's impressive considering it's on the old Neon platform.

The Civic and the Cobalt are in the same class. The Cobalt should be as good as the Civic, the fact that it makes you think the Civic is in another class says a lot about how far the Cobalt needs to go.

On another note, the PT handled that good? That's impressive considering it's on the old Neon platform.

The Civic is still considerably more money.

Back when I was buying my Cobalt (Aug 2005) there were only two other cars I was seriously considering: The Civic and the Kia Spectra. The Spectra was not as good a car as the Cobalt, and the Civic would have cost me $4k more in the end.

$4k is a good class divider, IMHO.

The Civic is still considerably more money.

Back when I was buying my Cobalt (Aug 2005) there were only two other cars I was seriously considering: The Civic and the Kia Spectra. The Spectra was not as good a car as the Cobalt, and the Civic would have cost me $4k more in the end.

$4k is a good class divider, IMHO.

Perhaps, but the Civic is worth that kind of money. It gets you things like a 5-speed automatic, nicer interior, better/more advanced suspension, smoother drivetrain, NAV option, and so on. Don't you think GM would want to have the extra 4k in its pockets? The Aveo is for the budget minded, the Cobalt should be able to compete with the Civic.

Perhaps, but the Civic is worth that kind of money. It gets you things like a 5-speed automatic, nicer interior, better/more advanced suspension, smoother drivetrain, NAV option, and so on. Don't you think GM would want to have the extra 4k in its pockets? The Aveo is for the budget minded, the Cobalt should be able to compete with the Civic.

Perhaps. A five speed auto makes no difference when you want a manual though. :AH-HA_wink:

Plus, I am budget minded, I just didn't want a Daewoo (Aveo). I'm glad the Cobalt was so cheap. Otherwise I probably would have bought the Spectra.

Perhaps. A five speed auto makes no difference when you want a manual though. :AH-HA_wink:

Plus, I am budget minded, I just didn't want a Daewoo (Aveo). I'm glad the Cobalt was so cheap. Otherwise I probably would have bought the Spectra.

Good Point, Good Point :P

Well, within the compact class, the Cobalt is in the lower end and competes against the Spectras, Elantras, and Corollas. The ASTRA is the one that competes against Civics, Rabbits, 3s, etc.

This coming from someone who was patching together their Shadow? :lol:

This is the point I have been hammering for two years on this board: people do not buy vehicles in a vacuum. Price (or, more accurately PAYMENT ) is very important.

FOR AN EXTRA FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS? At some point, when a vehicle is designed, the bean counters, marketing guys and engineers have to draw a line. You could four-thousand-dollar yourself to death. I mean, why stop at the Civic? Why not go up to the Acura? Or an A4?

Four thousand dollars is gas for a few years for many people.

Go to an SCCA race or autocross sometime. The old Neon was a GREAT handeling car with the right tweaks. Watch them go through turn 7-8 at speed at Mid Ohio or around Oak Tree bend at Nelson Ledges. Great cars.

Probably one of the best driving/handeling cars of the 90's if it is on decent tires with decent shocks/struts.

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

This coming from someone who was patching together their Shadow? :lol:

This is the point I have been hammering for two years on this board: people do not buy vehicles in a vacuum. Price (or, more accurately PAYMENT ) is very important.

FOR AN EXTRA FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS? At some point, when a vehicle is designed, the bean counters, marketing guys and engineers have to draw a line. You could four-thousand-dollar yourself to death. I mean, why stop at the Civic? Why not go up to the Acura? Or an A4?

Four thousand dollars is gas for a few years for many people.

My next car 4 grand more for what I want in a small car is not a problem.

However, let's give the Cobalt some credit. It is a very, very good small car. For where it is priced it is amazingly close in some ways to Civic/Mazda 3.

Chris

$4K is a lot of money in the puddle Cobalt and Civic play. It is not like comparing G-35 and 335i.

As yellow_dart rightfully pointed, people will actually tilt their favors to a car company which they will not prefer, for that amount of money.

I do not consider the Cobalt to be a Civic competitor. When I was looking for a new car, the Cobalt did not even show up on my radar...except maybe the SS supercharged. But I wanted a 4 door.

I was primarily cross-shopping the VW Rabbit / Jetta and Subaru Impreza WRX. These cars, based on their powertrain, chassis dynamics, image, and expected resale value put them up there in the Civic class.

The 2.5 Jetta, while quick, makes a strange metallic droning on acceleration. That small detail made me nuts. The Subaru WRX was more hard-core than I needed. Hence, the Civic Si.

However: if there were a Cobalt SS Supercharged sedan, I'd be very interested.

Note: Had I been constrained to a smaller budget - like a Honda Fit budget - I would have looked more closely at cars like Cobalt, Elantra, Spectra.

Edited by jlgolden

I rented a Cobalt LS (base) sedan in July 2006 during my trip to LA. The car had about 18,000 miles when I got it.

Pros:

1. Decent front seat space

2. Good performance with noticably improved engine sound over the Cavalier/Sunfire

3. Good on fuel consumption

Cons:

1. Some cheap interior details (specifically the interior door pieces)

2. scary sounding creeks coming from suspenion area over bumps and potholes. (no car should make these sounds).

3. Back seat space is small.