Chevrolet Crossover likely to be dubbed Traverse

Finally, a Chevy crossover
GM rushes to fill the void in the brand's lineup
Sharon Terlep | Link to Original Article @ The Detroit News

Posted Image
Artist Conception by MJDecker

DETROIT -- General Motors Corp. is winning over critics and customers with its trio of new large crossover vehicles for its GMC, Saturn and Buick brands.

But when the automaker started developing a crossover strategy several years ago, it left out its top-selling Chevrolet brand, which had the well-established TrailBlazer SUV. But as the market shifted dramatically away from traditional SUVs, TrailBlazer sales cratered and Chevy was left without a crossover, which has become one of the hottest vehicle segments.

It's a decision GM is hustling to correct. The automaker is in the late stages of developing a new Chevy crossover -- likely to be named the Traverse -- off the same basic architecture as the well-regarded new Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia and upcoming Buick Enclave, according to people familiar with the plan. The Chevy crossover, which combines SUV features with a car-like ride and fuel efficiency, is slated for production next year.

"It seems like they're realizing, 'We have a home run here, we'd better get these to our volume dealers,' " said dealer Steve Cook, who sells Chevrolet, Buick and GMC vehicles at his Vassar dealership. "With Chevy being my main line, it would help to have one."

GM's course correction comes as the company is overhauling its product development system to allow it to react more swiftly to shifting consumer tastes and bring vehicles to market faster.

TrailBlazer sales fall off

The idea for a Chevy crossover was considered several years ago but discarded because GM was reaping big profits from the hot-selling TrailBlazer. But volatile gas prices and SUV fatigue sent customers away from midsize SUVs in droves. GM plans to stop selling the TrailBlazer by 2010.

GM spokesman Chris Preuss declined to discuss product plans but said Chevrolet has a gap in its lineup.

"With the decline in the midsize of the utility segment, we haven't had anything to fill the void," Preuss said. "The (crossover) package was so well done, they've appealed to customers."

Seizing an opportunity to reach former SUV buyers, nearly every automaker has come out with a crossover in recent years.

The Acadia, Outlook and Enclave, all built in Lansing, have been among the more well received. Ford Motor Co. has won praise and seen solid sales for its new Edge crossover.

Monthly sales for the Outlook and Acadia have doubled since January. The vehicles accounted for almost 4 percent of GM's overall sales in April, compared to 1 percent in January. The Enclave is just now reaching showrooms.

Chevrolet sales, meanwhile, have fallen 6 percent. A crossover might not have negated the decline, but the fact the TrailBlazer accounts for nearly a third of Chevy's sales indicated a crossover offering might have helped keep some buyers.

Tenn. will build vehicle

It wasn't until about two years ago, shortly before the public was getting its first look at GM's crossover concepts, that a Chevy version began to become a reality again. GM realized then that the TrailBlazer didn't have a future.

Since designers had experimented with a Chevy design for the segment, GM was able to make quick progress. Last month, the automaker cut a deal with UAW workers at its plant in Spring Hill, Tenn., to have the vehicle built there.

While acknowledging that Chevrolet would have benefited from having a crossover sooner, especially as fuel prices rattle car buyers, the situation isn't dire, said Troy Clarke, GM's president of North America. Demand for the crossovers is robust and GM is coming out with a slew of new vehicles in the next couple of years.

Also important to consider is that crossovers remain a relatively small piece of the auto business, said Jesse Toprak, chief economist for Edmunds.com. The segment accounts for about 11 percent of vehicles sold in the U.S.

Cook, the GM dealer, is driving an Enclave, and constantly fields questions from fawning friends and neighbors. But the Enclave is a bit pricey, starting at about $33,000, and Cook thinks a cheaper Chevrolet version could draw more business.

"I think a lot of dealers felt cheated," he said.

blah blah. Old GM tricks...listen to the dealers not the consumer. Dealers are clamoring, execs see dollar signs, let's rush out another half baked product that is insulting to out consumers' intelligence. This reeks of business without passion, which is not the kind of product decision that should be made. I will only advocate the Lambda Chevrolet if its design is worthy and it offers something different, like the Outlook, Acadia, and Enclave successfully but too lightly do. A proper Chevrolet version will not have to be described as differentiated--it would be totally different.

Awesome, but I wonder when we will see the first pics of it.

Just squink when looking at an Outlook...sorry, that was low.

Despite the inevitable similarities to the Outlook and Acadia, I think this vehicle will kick some major arse. The Lambdas are already well received and they will have a couple of years to work out the kinks plus add some MCE enhancements. Look out Pilot.

On the other hand, Traverse...really? What is with naming in the auto industry? What about that name speaks to what the Chevy brand is about? What about that name speaks to what the vehicle is about? Could do so much better.

Why not bring it in as the replacement for the TrailBlazer and name it as such? (In response to Windy)

If they can get it to cost less than the Outlook, it'll appeal to a lot more people. Then, the Lambda platform will be less of a showpiece and more of a commodity. That might not be so good for the company, but it'll be great for the consumer.

Ideally, the Chevy Lambda (Traverse) should be a five passenger version, have the body styled as such and not just a regular Lambda minus the back seat, and compete against the Ford Edge, Mazda CX-7, and the upcoming Dodge crossover. This would make it truly unique in the GM crossover lineup and would not compete directly with the Acadia/OUTLOOK/Enclave market (since they are 7/8 passenger models).

But we all know that won't happen, and the Chevy Traverse will still be a 7/8 seater and will only cannibalize sales from the other three. That is until the OUTLOOK sales fall below expectations and GM decides Saturn doesn't need the vehicle anymore because more people buy the Chevy version vs. the Saturn. Or the GMC Acadia - you make the pick. :rolleyes:

I can't see GM selling four versions all the same. The Chevy has to be different from the rest, otherwise GM is just taking two steps BACKWARDS again.

After shopping this weekend at Buick and GMC dealers, my wife and I settled on the Acadia. I wondered outloud if there would be a Chevy version. Now after seeing that sketch, I don't think I'll wait for the Chevy. That does not look good at all. F-U-G-L-Y

The Enclave was nice, but too nice for us with a 3 year old and the Acadia has really grown on me especially since seeing that Blue-Gold exterior color up close and in some sunlight.

Just my two cents, but I agree that Chevy should shorten it to compete with the likes of the Edge.

Ideally, the Chevy Lambda (Traverse) should be a five passenger version, have the body styled as such and not just a regular Lambda minus the back seat, and compete against the Ford Edge, Mazda CX-7, and the upcoming Dodge crossover. This would make it truly unique in the GM crossover lineup and would not compete directly with the Acadia/OUTLOOK/Enclave market (since they are 7/8 passenger models).

I agree that maybe the Traverse should be a 5/6 passenger vehicle, but the upcoming dodge crossover is really more Equinox territory. And since the next Equinox isn't going to shrink, then the Traverse shouldn't get any smaller., either.

I don't think GM will let us down, they'll make it look different. Also, I don't see this stealing GMC or Saturn sales. Really, what saturn customers are also shopping a Chevrolet dealership? Not many.

I think people scream brand competition with these CUV's way louder than they need to be. GM can make as many as needed. They need to own this new market like they own trucks and large SUV's.

But we all know that won't happen, and the Chevy Traverse will still be a 7/8 seater and will only cannibalize sales from the other three. That is until the OUTLOOK sales fall below expectations and GM decides Saturn doesn't need the vehicle anymore because more people buy the Chevy version vs. the Saturn. Or the GMC Acadia - you make the pick. :rolleyes:

I can't see GM selling four versions all the same. The Chevy has to be different from the rest, otherwise GM is just taking two steps BACKWARDS again.

I think that Traverse name is fine. but I like TrailBlazer better. I agree that this needs to be considerably different in order to not cannibalize sales of the other three. If's it's just an Outlook with a different nose and tail lights...GM is doing the same thing it did with the TrailBlazer clones...which didn't exactly win over critics.

I like the Traverse name...they need a name different from TrailBlazer to distinguish it from the old-style BOF SUV. A 7 passenger spec makes sense, as they already have the 5 passenger crossover market covered with the Equinox...

How many of these do we need? How much lower can they position it? I mean, it'll be sub-Outlook, but will they sacrifice quality of materials to keep the price lower? I don't know.. again I see too much overlap.

After shopping this weekend at Buick and GMC dealers, my wife and I settled on the Acadia. I wondered outloud if there would be a Chevy version. Now after seeing that sketch, I don't think I'll wait for the Chevy. That does not look good at all. F-U-G-L-Y

That's just a rendition done by our own MJDecker. It's a Lambda crossover with the Cheyenne concept's front end. Seeing as how the Cheyenne wasn't well received at this forum, the Chevy Lambda probably won't look like that.

blah blah. Old GM tricks...listen to the dealers not the consumer. Dealers are clamoring, execs see dollar signs, let's rush out another half baked product that is insulting to out consumers' intelligence. This reeks of business without passion, which is not the kind of product decision that should be made. I will only advocate the Lambda Chevrolet if its design is worthy and it offers something different, like the Outlook, Acadia, and Enclave successfully but too lightly do. A proper Chevrolet version will not have to be described as differentiated--it would be totally different.

Funny, blah blah is what I think when you post anything! Do you ever have anything good to say about GM and it's products? :rolleyes:

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Funny, blah blah is what I think when you post anything! Do you ever have anything good to say about GM and it's products? :rolleyes:

Well, he does. But when GM actually earns it.

In this case... unless the Chevy Lambda is significantly different than its platform-mates, GM doesn't deserve any real praise.

Why does anyone want it to be 5-passenger? The Equinox takes care of that. In addition, if the Chevy is priced at $25k, how is this going to cannibalize a whole lot of sales? If the base Chevy is $5k cheaper than the Saturn counterpart, it's going to attract different buyers simply on price. GM wants to do a very, very high number of Chevy Lambdas. The number about 4/5s of that of how many Malibus they want to sell; therefore, I say it's not starting at $30k, but more like $24k.

In this case... unless the Chevy Lambda is significantly different than its platform-mates, GM doesn't deserve any real praise.

Sure it does, It's going to give buyers of the Lambda a less costly version to pick from. The more choice you give the customer on price is always a good thing. Giving Chevy a version will get the Lambda in more customer's hands and do it faster than Saturn will be able to do with it's limited dealer network. Just in sheer numbers of dealers alone Chevy should outsell Saturn and maybe even GMC altogether.

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

>>"...let's rush out another half baked product that is insulting to out consumers' intelligence. This reeks of business without passion, which is not the kind of product decision that should be made."<<

Except the Lambdas are far from "half baked product", so the 'reeking' may only be coming from your own compost-heap of perceptions.

thank you. for a moment there I felt bad.

>>"...let's rush out another half baked product that is insulting to out consumers' intelligence. This reeks of business without passion, which is not the kind of product decision that should be made."<<

Except the Lambdas are far from "half baked product", so the 'reeking' may only be coming from your own compost-heap of perceptions.

as evidenced by the tone of other posters in just this thread, a half backed product is exactly what a Lambda rebadge would be that my post was referring to. Already the Lambdas are sharing too many parts bin materials and other things like the rear ends on the Acadia/Outlook, and I made an allusion to that in my post. Or maybe reading comprehension isn't your forte.

I still hold out hopes for a five-seater GMT-355 successor-based Trailblazer.

:withstupid: I think GM needs to fill the Envoy/TrailBlazer BOF void with something based on the Canyon/Colorado platform. Not everyone out there wants a car-based, front-wheel drive SUV. While I thought the old Jimmy/Blazer were small compared to their competition (Explorer, Grand Cherokee, 4Runner), I realize the Envoy/TrailBlazer really do step foot on the Yukon/Tahoe market. I really like the Hummer H3 and think it's a perfect size. You can offer the Equinox/Torrent (future GMC anyway) for those seeking a smaller FWD/AWD crossover, a GMT-355 BOF SUV for those wanting a smaller, 2wd or 4WD SUV, the Lambdas for those wanting a larger, FWD or AWD car-based crossover, and the Yukon/Tahoe for the full-size, 2wd or 4wd truck-based SUV. Much like Toyota's lineup - a SUV for every taste.

Why does anyone want it to be 5-passenger? The Equinox takes care of that. In addition, if the Chevy is priced at $25k, how is this going to cannibalize a whole lot of sales? If the base Chevy is $5k cheaper than the Saturn counterpart, it's going to attract different buyers simply on price. GM wants to do a very, very high number of Chevy Lambdas. The number about 4/5s of that of how many Malibus they want to sell; therefore, I say it's not starting at $30k, but more like $24k.

Okay, but the problem here is that Chevy will not keep their Lambda a bottom of the barrel, value-based crossover only. There will be LS, LT, and LTZ versions, maybe starting at $25k but going all the way up to $42k - just like the other three Lambdas. If you equip/option the Acadia/OUTLOOK/Enclave the same way, they're all pretty close in price. And thus you have one stealing from the other three. Do you really think someone won't price shop each GM division, rather than Chevy vs. Ford vs. Toyota? And the dealers will stock some base (LS) models, but a majority of them will be fully loaded LT3 or LTZ models. Don't believe me? Go to any Chevy dealer and look at their Avalanche, Tahoe, and Suburban stock and see how many "base" models are available. Chevy dealers are no different - they make more off the fully optioned models. Yeah there'll be the few $25k "newspaper ad specials", but there will be more loaded ones. And that will steal from the other GM divisions until GM cuts the back (remember the Uplander, Montana SV6, Relay & Terazza minivans???).

I humbly submit that we should wait for the crime to occur before we condemn and execute the accused. We haven't even seen a spyshot of this thing yet.

I wish I could be the optimist like you on this one, but we know how GM and it's Chevy dealers are. They want whatever any of the other GM divisions have that sells. And they also want to be the only ones that offer it from GM (see the new Camaro, the HHR & the SSR, the Corvette until the XLR came along, etc). If they get a 5-passenger only, they'll cry to Wagoner until he caves in and gives them a 7-passenger too. Then less Saturns will sell, as someone already pointed out that the too-many-exisiting Chevy dealer network will flood the market with their version. GM does not equal Chevy!!!!

Then again, Mr. Saturn Brand Advocate, maybe you learned/saw something from your tour of the Delta plant that you can't share with us yet??? :AH-HA_wink:

i say we wait and see what GM shows us. we don't even know what the designs look like so it's alot of hot air and speculation in here.

i agree with some, that a fully loaded Traverse might compete with the others, BUT consider how many people cross shop GM brands. GMC practically exists b/c people DON'T want a chevy. I see no overlap there. Buick customers won't be looking at a Chevy, and I doubt most saturn customers consider a Chevy when car-shopping.

As long as this product looks different, is priced correctly, and doesn't offer as much content, it should be fine.

It's also been said by numerous GM people it would offer some other items not found in the other lambdas.

Edited by jbartley

I mentioned this in another chat line ---

Chevy needs to put an '08 Malibu-like grille on the Outlook, but change the rear taillights and tailgate; make the lights more like the SRX or whatever the Caddy version of this is, and maybe go with some Nomad heritage and put those cool looking stainless steel strips on the tailgate.

This car has the possibility of being Chevy's hot selling new wagon, if they do it right.

Not at all crazy about "Traverse" being the name though.... Why not a name from the Chevrolet heritage bin?

Cheyenne?

Brookwood/Parkwood/Lakewood/Kingswood?

Greenbrier?

Scottsdale?

Townsman?

Del Rey?

or --- put a huge sunroof option on it, and call it Bel Air!!!!

:withstupid: I think GM needs to fill the Envoy/TrailBlazer BOF void with something based on the Canyon/Colorado platform. Not everyone out there wants a car-based, front-wheel drive SUV. While I thought the old Jimmy/Blazer were small compared to their competition (Explorer, Grand Cherokee, 4Runner), I realize the Envoy/TrailBlazer really do step foot on the Yukon/Tahoe market. I really like the Hummer H3 and think it's a perfect size. You can offer the Equinox/Torrent (future GMC anyway) for those seeking a smaller FWD/AWD crossover, a GMT-355 BOF SUV for those wanting a smaller, 2wd or 4WD SUV, the Lambdas for those wanting a larger, FWD or AWD car-based crossover, and the Yukon/Tahoe for the full-size, 2wd or 4wd truck-based SUV. Much like Toyota's lineup - a SUV for every taste.

Okay, but the problem here is that Chevy will not keep their Lambda a bottom of the barrel, value-based crossover only. There will be LS, LT, and LTZ versions, maybe starting at $25k but going all the way up to $42k - just like the other three Lambdas. If you equip/option the Acadia/OUTLOOK/Enclave the same way, they're all pretty close in price. And thus you have one stealing from the other three. Do you really think someone won't price shop each GM division, rather than Chevy vs. Ford vs. Toyota? And the dealers will stock some base (LS) models, but a majority of them will be fully loaded LT3 or LTZ models. Don't believe me? Go to any Chevy dealer and look at their Avalanche, Tahoe, and Suburban stock and see how many "base" models are available. Chevy dealers are no different - they make more off the fully optioned models. Yeah there'll be the few $25k "newspaper ad specials", but there will be more loaded ones. And that will steal from the other GM divisions until GM cuts the back (remember the Uplander, Montana SV6, Relay & Terazza minivans???).

With the number of Chevy Lambdas they're planning to sell, I think a good number of them won't be over $40k.

In addition, Chevy just attracts more buyers than other brands. Look at the Sierra and Silverado. The Sierra is probably preferred in terms of styling by most, but the Silverado outsells it by a huge margin. Same thing with the Tahoe and pretty much every Chevy vs. GMC. There will be loaded models, but the majority of the models aren''t going to be loaded. I worked at local Chevy dealer last summer and w definitely had a majority of non-loaded/highly optioned models.

The bottom line is that it should be relatively cheap for GM to do and it will add a lot of volume if it sells as well as GM expects it to. It will make plenty of money, and just in case the Outlook and Acadia are starting to become slightly stale, it will give GM another great entry in the exploding crosssover segment.

GM doesn't care where the sales go, so long as the other three don't suddenly stop selling when the Chevy comes.

Hmm...ok. :rolleyes:

Ok Dave.

Then why would GM put out $1-2B for Spring Hill when the Michigan plant isn't even up to capacity with 2 shifts??????

Remember, its the newest state-of-the-art flexible manufacturing plant.

It can switch vehicles in mid-stream without stopping the line.

Hmmm. Add a shift when demand picks up or spend $$$$$$$$$ for <almost> an entirely new plant.

Considering that GM is skating the edge of bankruptcy, how do you explain that?

Edited by plane

I think the Chevy Taverse will do just fine. I'm not even sure it will eat into sales of the others, if much at all.

1. Gm's minivans are gone after this year. Many of the people who are looking for a replacement of these vans will come looking at these. Will everyone get one? No, but I expect quite a few will (like my parents..)

2. And the TB's days are numbered. This also gives people to slide into one of these...

As the minivan market continues to shrink, there will be more people....

I think the Chevy Taverse will do just fine. I'm not even sure it will eat into sales of the others, if much at all.

1. Gm's minivans are gone after this year. Many of the people who are looking for a replacement of these vans will come looking at these. Will everyone get one? No, but I expect quite a few will (like my parents..)

2. And the TB's days are numbered. This also gives people to slide into one of these...

As the minivan market continues to shrink, there will be more people....

I agree. It should do just fine.

A class-leading minivan would work great for Chevrolet.

It would be nice to see Chevy steal some real minivan sales from Honda and Toyota.

I agree. It should do just fine.

A class-leading minivan would work great for Chevrolet.

It would be nice to see Chevy steal some real minivan sales from Honda and Toyota.

GM's plan with Lambdas is not only to steal from Minivans from Hond and Toy, but also the "soft" utes from them. It is two birds in a shot.

With the number of Chevy Lambdas they're planning to sell, I think a good number of them won't be over $40k.

How much are you willing to bet? :P

In addition, Chevy just attracts more buyers than other brands. Look at the Sierra and Silverado. The Sierra is probably preferred in terms of styling by most, but the Silverado outsells it by a huge margin. Same thing with the Tahoe and pretty much every Chevy vs. GMC. There will be loaded models, but the majority of the models aren''t going to be loaded. I worked at local Chevy dealer last summer and w definitely had a majority of non-loaded/highly optioned models.

Does General Motors still restrict GMC models vs. Chevy models? I know back in the '90s, GM allowed only XX% (I'm remembering 15%-20%, but not sure if that's correct) of pickup production to GMC and Chevy pickups got the rest. If that rule still exists within GM, then it's safe to say that Chevy will get the majority of Lamdba production, which will steal sales from the other three.

The bottom line is that it should be relatively cheap for GM to do and it will add a lot of volume if it sells as well as GM expects it to. It will make plenty of money, and just in case the Outlook and Acadia are starting to become slightly stale, it will give GM another great entry in the exploding crosssover segment.

GM doesn't care where the sales go, so long as the other three don't suddenly stop selling when the Chevy comes.

How many GM owners don't shop within GM? When I sold BPGs, I had many customers cross-shopping the new 2000 LeSabre with the new 2000 Impala. CARBIZ, who works at a Chevy dealership, has stated many times that he's had to send customers to the GMC dealership to find the Acadia/Enclave. The only plausible scenario I can see is that many GM owners will not consider Saturn, as there may not be a close enough dealer to them. But if Chevy has a Lambda, it will be cross-shopped against the other two divisions.

Again, I don't care if GM allows Chevy to have a Lambda - BUT it must be different from the other three that already exist. Chevy should have the Lambda MINIVAN. No problem there. Chevy should have a 5-passenger Lambda if they must have a CUV. And it has to look different too. Why have four of the practically same vehicles - something we here at C&G can't stand when GM does this (for example - Uplander/Montana SV6/RELAY/Terraza; TrailBlazer/Envoy/Bravada-Rainier/9-7x). I understand that Chevy already has the 5-passenger covered with the Equinox, but what if someone wanted a larger 5-passenger CUV? Ford offers the 5-pass Escape and the 5-pass Edge... why can't Chevy aim at this cmpetition rather than with it's own sister divisions? This is the problem with General Motors - Chevy has to have it all, and if they don't have it, they (dealers) cry until they get it. This is another reason why I will not support Chevy and buy one again.

How much are you willing to bet? :P

Does General Motors still restrict GMC models vs. Chevy models? I know back in the '90s, GM allowed only XX% (I'm remembering 15%-20%, but not sure if that's correct) of pickup production to GMC and Chevy pickups got the rest. If that rule still exists within GM, then it's safe to say that Chevy will get the majority of Lamdba production, which will steal sales from the other three.

How many GM owners don't shop within GM? When I sold BPGs, I had many customers cross-shopping the new 2000 LeSabre with the new 2000 Impala. CARBIZ, who works at a Chevy dealership, has stated many times that he's had to send customers to the GMC dealership to find the Acadia/Enclave. The only plausible scenario I can see is that many GM owners will not consider Saturn, as there may not be a close enough dealer to them. But if Chevy has a Lambda, it will be cross-shopped against the other two divisions.

Again, I don't care if GM allows Chevy to have a Lambda - BUT it must be different from the other three that already exist. Chevy should have the Lambda MINIVAN. No problem there. Chevy should have a 5-passenger Lambda if they must have a CUV. And it has to look different too. Why have four of the practically same vehicles - something we here at C&G can't stand when GM does this (for example - Uplander/Montana SV6/RELAY/Terraza; TrailBlazer/Envoy/Bravada-Rainier/9-7x). I understand that Chevy already has the 5-passenger covered with the Equinox, but what if someone wanted a larger 5-passenger CUV? Ford offers the 5-pass Escape and the 5-pass Edge... why can't Chevy aim at this cmpetition rather than with it's own sister divisions? This is the problem with General Motors - Chevy has to have it all, and if they don't have it, they (dealers) cry until they get it. This is another reason why I will not support Chevy and buy one again.

GM has a huge gap in their line up. Gas is going to hit $5 a gallon. It is nearly there here, and has hit that on the east coast of Canada. I haven't sold a Trailblazer in a year. People are clamoring for 8 passenger vehicles, and at $4-5 a gallon, they shrink from the Tahoe/Suburban. We used to sell a &#036;h&#33;-load of Trackers. The Equinox is all that is holding us together, frankly - and it is getting tired already, plus the Torrent is eating into its sales as usual.

Speaking from my own portfolio, I have lost a lot of Oldsmobile customers - and most of them went to Honda, Mazda, etc. Chevrolet is supposedly the engine that propels GM and to not have a Lambda is criminal; to not have a viable 7 or 8 passenger is worse. GM wants us to nurture and work our customer base, but it pisses me off that the P-B-GMC dealer up the street (and bare in mind, folks, that it has ALWAYS been P-B-GMC in Canada) has TWO Lambdas - and we have none! This is far more than the usual dealer whining and bitching.

GM needs a 4 cylinder CUV, and a decent, attractive 7-8 passenger - NOW! Look at the Ford line up, or the Jeep line up. I have lost several customers to Saturn recently - one who had leased two Z-24s from me, wouldn't even consider the Cobalt. He went to an Ion Redline. <_<

Things may be different in the U.S. right now, but I suspect most of that is due to the cheaper gas price situation. The world tilts on its axis at $4+ - trust me on that.

I am having an increasingly difficult time looking a customer in the eye with the Uplander. Currently, it is cheaper than an HHR, and customers still won't buy it. As a stopgap measure, it was a good 2 years ago - BUT WE NEED A DECENT MINIVAN YESTERDAY.

EVERYBODY IS SHOPPING THESE DAYS. I have customers still driving their '98 Malibus and Cavaliers that they got from me and although they LOVE them and admit they have had no problems, they say they will be looking at other makes next time around as well as Chevrolet. So even though we have been good to them, I have been good to them, they will shop around, which is fine, but NOTHING can be taken for granted any more. NOTHING.

YES! I agree!

GM has a huge gap in their line up. Gas is going to hit $5 a gallon. It is nearly there here, and has hit that on the east coast of Canada. I haven't sold a Trailblazer in a year. People are clamoring for 8 passenger vehicles, and at $4-5 a gallon, they shrink from the Tahoe/Suburban. We used to sell a &#036;h&#33;-load of Trackers. The Equinox is all that is holding us together, frankly - and it is getting tired already, plus the Torrent is eating into its sales as usual.

Speaking from my own portfolio, I have lost a lot of Oldsmobile customers - and most of them went to Honda, Mazda, etc. Chevrolet is supposedly the engine that propels GM and to not have a Lambda is criminal; to not have a viable 7 or 8 passenger is worse. GM wants us to nurture and work our customer base, but it pisses me off that the P-B-GMC dealer up the street (and bare in mind, folks, that it has ALWAYS been P-B-GMC in Canada) has TWO Lambdas - and we have none! This is far more than the usual dealer whining and bitching.

GM needs a 4 cylinder CUV, and a decent, attractive 7-8 passenger - NOW! Look at the Ford line up, or the Jeep line up. I have lost several customers to Saturn recently - one who had leased two Z-24s from me, wouldn't even consider the Cobalt. He went to an Ion Redline. <_<

Things may be different in the U.S. right now, but I suspect most of that is due to the cheaper gas price situation. The world tilts on its axis at $4+ - trust me on that.

I am having an increasingly difficult time looking a customer in the eye with the Uplander. Currently, it is cheaper than an HHR, and customers still won't buy it. As a stopgap measure, it was a good 2 years ago - BUT WE NEED A DECENT MINIVAN YESTERDAY.

EVERYBODY IS SHOPPING THESE DAYS. I have customers still driving their '98 Malibus and Cavaliers that they got from me and although they LOVE them and admit they have had no problems, they say they will be looking at other makes next time around as well as Chevrolet. So even though we have been good to them, I have been good to them, they will shop around, which is fine, but NOTHING can be taken for granted any more. NOTHING.

Umm the HHR is a 4-cyl CUV, the best selling in its small segment (earlier entries having moved up a size). GM is planning more, but that will help Saturn and GMC more than Chevrolet. Of course if it was my decision GM would replace the Equinox with the 7-seat Captiva (and 2.4 Dual-VVT to target the CR-V), and pitch the lwb TE at the Edge and Highlander.

How about a 2 row 6 passenger CUV? You know, the kind with a FRONT BENCH. I have a short wheelbase minivan now, I don't want to get a longer one or a larger CUV and I am always using 5 seats with an occasional 6th, in 2 years I have never needed all 7. I have to carry the third row around because of the need for that last seat. There just aren't any 6 passenger vehicles around anymore that get 25 MPG or better, cars or trucks.

How about a 2 row 6 passenger CUV? You know, the kind with a FRONT BENCH. I have a short wheelbase minivan now, I don't want to get a longer one or a larger CUV and I am always using 5 seats with an occasional 6th, in 2 years I have never needed all 7. I have to carry the third row around because of the need for that last seat. There just aren't any 6 passenger vehicles around anymore that get 25 MPG or better, cars or trucks.

well i'm betting since the Tahoe offers a front row bench, that the "Traverse" will as well.

Also, Chevrolet has the laaaaargest line-up of any GM brand. If all they are missing is a large crossover, than BOO HOO!

I mean seriously. they have more sedans, suv, wagons, sportcars, etc, than probably the GM brands combined. I say get over it, and work on your sales skills. I'm seriously disapointed and ashamed everytime I visit one to browse.

Edited by jbartley

Has GM learned nothing over the years? There is way too much product overlap. GM does not need four Lambda based vehicles. The companies that are leading the auto industry (i.e. Toyota and Honda) generally produce only one or two vehicles off of the same architecture. GM is going to kill themselves yet by having the expense of producing so many overlapping vehicles. Lambdas, Epsilons, etc... Where does it end? Either cut several brands or make the product portfolios smaller and more unique. I love the Lambda's, but aside from a few content and styling differences, they are all the same car. GM could build one or two Lambda based vehicles and get the vast majority of buyers without the cost of designing so many varients of the same car. End of Rant.

Finally, a Chevy crossover

GM rushes to fill the void in the brand's lineup

Sharon Terlep | Link to Original Article @ The Detroit News

Posted Image

Artist Conception by MJDecker

DETROIT -- General Motors Corp. is winning over critics and customers with its trio of new large crossover vehicles for its GMC, Saturn and Buick brands.

But when the automaker started developing a crossover strategy several years ago, it left out its top-selling Chevrolet brand, which had the well-established TrailBlazer SUV. But as the market shifted dramatically away from traditional SUVs, TrailBlazer sales cratered and Chevy was left without a crossover, which has become one of the hottest vehicle segments.

It's a decision GM is hustling to correct. The automaker is in the late stages of developing a new Chevy crossover -- likely to be named the Traverse -- off the same basic architecture as the well-regarded new Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia and upcoming Buick Enclave, according to people familiar with the plan. The Chevy crossover, which combines SUV features with a car-like ride and fuel efficiency, is slated for production next year.

"It seems like they're realizing, 'We have a home run here, we'd better get these to our volume dealers,' " said dealer Steve Cook, who sells Chevrolet, Buick and GMC vehicles at his Vassar dealership. "With Chevy being my main line, it would help to have one."

GM's course correction comes as the company is overhauling its product development system to allow it to react more swiftly to shifting consumer tastes and bring vehicles to market faster.

TrailBlazer sales fall off

The idea for a Chevy crossover was considered several years ago but discarded because GM was reaping big profits from the hot-selling TrailBlazer. But volatile gas prices and SUV fatigue sent customers away from midsize SUVs in droves. GM plans to stop selling the TrailBlazer by 2010.

GM spokesman Chris Preuss declined to discuss product plans but said Chevrolet has a gap in its lineup.

"With the decline in the midsize of the utility segment, we haven't had anything to fill the void," Preuss said. "The (crossover) package was so well done, they've appealed to customers."

Seizing an opportunity to reach former SUV buyers, nearly every automaker has come out with a crossover in recent years.

The Acadia, Outlook and Enclave, all built in Lansing, have been among the more well received. Ford Motor Co. has won praise and seen solid sales for its new Edge crossover.

Monthly sales for the Outlook and Acadia have doubled since January. The vehicles accounted for almost 4 percent of GM's overall sales in April, compared to 1 percent in January. The Enclave is just now reaching showrooms.

Chevrolet sales, meanwhile, have fallen 6 percent. A crossover might not have negated the decline, but the fact the TrailBlazer accounts for nearly a third of Chevy's sales indicated a crossover offering might have helped keep some buyers.

Tenn. will build vehicle

It wasn't until about two years ago, shortly before the public was getting its first look at GM's crossover concepts, that a Chevy version began to become a reality again. GM realized then that the TrailBlazer didn't have a future.

Since designers had experimented with a Chevy design for the segment, GM was able to make quick progress. Last month, the automaker cut a deal with UAW workers at its plant in Spring Hill, Tenn., to have the vehicle built there.

While acknowledging that Chevrolet would have benefited from having a crossover sooner, especially as fuel prices rattle car buyers, the situation isn't dire, said Troy Clarke, GM's president of North America. Demand for the crossovers is robust and GM is coming out with a slew of new vehicles in the next couple of years.

Also important to consider is that crossovers remain a relatively small piece of the auto business, said Jesse Toprak, chief economist for Edmunds.com. The segment accounts for about 11 percent of vehicles sold in the U.S.

Cook, the GM dealer, is driving an Enclave, and constantly fields questions from fawning friends and neighbors. But the Enclave is a bit pricey, starting at about $33,000, and Cook thinks a cheaper Chevrolet version could draw more business.

"I think a lot of dealers felt cheated," he said.