It Was Love At First Sight

Ohhhhhhhh NICE!!!!

BTW ... if my eyes didn't deceive me this past Sunday, one of those was featured at the Indy 500 this year.....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"I knew she was a jewel in disguise" ... Kathy Mattea ... '455 Rocket'

Well to each their own...I happen to think the styling is clean and understated by the standards of the day. No opera windows, tacked on louvers on the fenders like certain Chryslers, minimal moldings etc. I guess thats why I own one currently and have owned one before my current Delta....and plan to own another one someday...

Edited by Delta Force79

Well to each their own...I happen to think the styling is clean and understated by the standards of the day. No opera windows, tacked on louvers on the fenders like certain Chryslers, minimal moldings etc. I guess thats why I own one currently and have owned one before my current Delta....and plan to own another one someday...

Ah, another day, another shot at Chrysler :hissyfit::P

There's something about a sporty, All-American big car that really hits the spot. Didn't Olds also have a few years around this era of Holiday 88 coupe models, with bucket seats and floor shift? Then there was the LeSabre T-Type, with a chrome/black trim package and those classic Buick Road Wheels. Odd that Pontiac (to my knowledge) didn't have a sport-trimmed Bonneville coupe after the successful downsizing of '77.

That is correct ocn....the Holiday 88 came only in coupe form and featured bucket seats, floor console and floor shift. Optional sunroof and sport mirrors. The funny thing is I think Pontiac was trying to make the Bonneville a luxury car during this time and no sport model was offered. The Delta 88 was more of car for all people IMO...base models for the new growing family, Royale models for those looking for most of the luxury features of a Ninety Eight for less money and the Holiday coupe for the the sporty crowd. The funny thing is most Holiday 88's during this time had roll down windows and basic trim on the door panels despite the fact this was a rare special package. One would think it would be fully loaded, but my Royale has more features than a typical Holiday does.

Not a big fan... between the blackout trim & boxy styling it is not a good looking car to me.

Great point... the Datsun is almost as ugly.

That blackout trim is horrific. The car looks

awful with all those stickers and lack of

chrome. Sorry to be a tick in the mud.

Now a nice, regular 2dr with all the chrome

I consider to be a cool car. Boxy styling &

monochromatic trim with no chrome looks

ugly as sin to me.

:nono:

The Maxima has a slight edge in the ugly factor, its boxy, has those cheap looking protruding plastic bumpers, has no style whatsoever. Yes the Delta 88 is boxy, but its got a Rocket V8, is a rare Pace car replica and would smoke an 84 manual Maxima even with a 3 speed auto....plus even the none pace cars are rare and that is what makes it a beauty in my eyes, I think its more interesting to own something not considered a cool car, every "car guy" either has a Mustang or a Camaro, a Cuda or a Trans Am or GTO or they aspire to own one....why? they're everywhere, how's about being original? thats my opinion....

There's something about a sporty, All-American big car that really hits the spot. Didn't Olds also have a few years around this era of Holiday 88 coupe models, with bucket seats and floor shift? Then there was the LeSabre T-Type, with a chrome/black trim package and those classic Buick Road Wheels. Odd that Pontiac (to my knowledge) didn't have a sport-trimmed Bonneville coupe after the successful downsizing of '77.

They offered Bucket seats on the 1977-1981 Bonneville. I know because:

I have the brochure and I know some who owned a burgundy one that had bucket seats. It had the seat seats and floor shifter the Grand Prix used back then.

It looked like this:

Posted Image

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

It's a gorgeous car with a very tasteful look, but ten grand for a two-door Delta with special stickers? Faaaaaaaaaaaack THAT! A super faded but rock-solid one in Arizona went for $800 on eBay last year amongst a million other cars from the same seller that was a salvage yard that was closing its doors. All the vehicles had super cheap Buy It Now prices as the leftovers were to be crushed. New paint and decals and a dash pad and you're off to the races for thousands less than this one.

Know what other pace car I love from this era besides this Delta?

Posted Image

The 1976 Buick Century pace car. Only 1290 made; I'd love to come across one some day and pick it up if the price was reasonable! :thumbsup:

I agree the price is a bit much, but it looks to be mint inside and out so I can see why he's asking it.

THe Buick is nice too...I'm just not a fan of the orange decals...the silver and black with t-tops is sweet though

I have worked on one Indy Pace car in my lifetime, that was the 1990 Indy 500. Here are some pics of that car and some replicas that GM sold to the public at that time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jim Perkins Head of Chevrolet at that time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Regular Indy 500 Pace Cars Sold to the public.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The 1990 Indy Beretta Pace Car is truly unique. Only 75 of these cars were ever produced...one paced race, and two were on pit row during the Indy 500. The Beretta convertables were built by and converted by Cars & Concepts. These cars were actually Beretta GT's, which had been throughly modified. The roof was cut, the chasis modified, and the tops were powered and had real glass with a window defogger. The cars were fitted with modified 206-cid ohv V-6 (3.4L V-6) engines which yielded 225 (SAE net) horspower. The Indy Pace car (according to

Chevrolet) could do 0-60 in 5.8 seconds; a 1/4 mile in 13.8 seconds@105mph. Hydramatic 4T60-E transmissions were also added. Chevrolet invested an enormous amount of money into the berettaindy program. Unfortunanlty, the Indy convertible didn't meet the standards that GM had set forth. For example, the fiberglass three piece boot made the car a little difficult to handle. The company flew a technician in to refit the front and rear suspension with many new components before race day. Contrary to common belief, 7500 pace car replicas were produced

in order to celebrate the Beretta's Indy 500 appearence.

Pace Car Specifications

Overview:

Convertible conversion by Cars & Concepts, Inc.

3.4 V6

245 horsepower @ 6800 rpms

220 pound-feet torque @ 4500 rpms

High-torque capacity electronic 4-speed automatic transmission

3.43:1 rear axle

Weight-to-power ratio: 18.3lbs/hp

0-60mph in 5.8 seconds

1/4 mile in 13.8 seconds @ 105 mph

Engine Details:

Chevrolet 60 degree aluminum engine block

Strengthened cast iron crankshaft

Melling oil pump

Windage tray added to oil pan

Erson solid tappet camshaft

Isky solid lifter

Isky 110-lb valve springs

Modified Crane roller rocker arms

Custom rocker studs

Modified production cylinder heads with ported/polished ports

Aluminum cast pistons

Modified production intake manifold

Custom intake plenum

Production Corvette L98 V8 throttle body

Custom stainless steel fuel rails

High-flow fuel injectors from Buick turbocharged 3.8 V6

Custom tubular headers

Suspension:

Beretta GTZ anti-roll bars front and rear

Beretta GTZ springs and struts/shocks front and rear

Modified Corvette front and Lumina rear brakes integrated into Beretta GTZ brake system with metallic brake pads.

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S

Of the 75 I do believe 73 were scrapped, I think one was given to Jim Perkins and the other went to some GM storage historical wharehouse in Michigan. The rest were lined up on the East side of the Wilmington plant, what parts could be used in production of the L car were scavenged off these vehicles. What was left was sold for scrap and melted down under our supervision. I thought that was very sad, it would have been nice to keep one car at the plant since we did build them here.

These 75 cars were like my kids, it was the 1st big GM project I worked on. I saw them all the time.

What killed this car, was with the roof cut off it vibrated and flexed to much to pass Federal regulations. Chevy was unwilling to put the money into the program to fix the vibration/flex issues.

Edited by Pontiac Custom-S