2008 CTS = Cadillac Technical Superiority

CTS equals Cadillac Technical Superiority
June 1 | Link to Original Article @ CNet
Posted Image

Cadillac gave us a little hint of the cabin gadgets available in its 2008 Cadillac CTS. And from what we've heard, we can't wait to see it in action. We saw the new CTS at the 2007 Detroit Auto Show, but Cadillac didn't have the full story on its tech features there. The Cadillac designers focused on making the navigation and entertainment interface usable and seamless. The maps will have a 3D aspect and will show traffic and weather. The stereo gets a hard drive for music storage, and the radio includes a pause feature. We don't have all the details yet, but Cadillac must have a buffering system with the radio, kind of like with a Tivo, that saves the stream of music. The car also gets improved iPod integration.

Posted Image

From a tech perspective, Cadillac is the best American brand out there, having been a leader in putting advanced navigation, Bluetooth, and stereo systems in its cars. On close inspection of interior photos of the 2008 CTS, you can see buttons for ripping CDs, playing from a hard disk, and playing XM satellite radio. We will report more on the 2008 Cadillac CTS when it comes out in August.

That doesn't make sense considering that the current STS has a factory installed bluetooth either optional or standard on every trim level except for the base model STS V6.

Posted Image

If the 08 CTS doesn't come with bluetooth factory installed at all, I think the reason might be because GM is really pushing the hands-free Onstar phone that would seem rather useless when you can get handsfree phone service and much more linking up your mobile with your car computer.

However, I really doubt they would exclude it when Cadillac is really trying to appear as a legitimate global luxury brand.

That doesn't make sense considering that the current STS has a factory installed bluetooth either optional or standard on every trim level except for the base model STS V6.

Posted Image

If the 08 CTS doesn't come with bluetooth factory installed at all, I think the reason might be because GM is really pushing the hands-free Onstar phone that would seem rather useless when you can get handsfree phone service and much more linking up your mobile with your car computer.

However, I really doubt they would exclude it when Cadillac is really trying to appear as a legitimate global luxury brand.

Bluetooth WILL be a dealer installed option for the 08MY (a JCI unit) and a factory option for the 09MY.

Here is a few more details on the 2008 CTS:

Just Some Hightlights...

•SOUND SYSTEM WITH BOSE 5.1 CABIN SURROUND SOUND

AM/FM Stereo, Single CD/ DVD Player*, MP3 Playback and Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround Sound 10-Speaker System with Radio Data System (RDS), 40GB Hard Drive Device (HDD), USB and Auto Connectivity and Steering Wheel Controls

* NOTE: System will play DVD audio. To obtain DVD video play capability, Sound System with Navigation Package (UAV) should be ordered.

•SOUND SYSTEM WITH NAVIGATION

AM/FM Stereo with Single CD/DVD Player, MP3 Playback and Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround Sound 10-Speaker System with Radio Data System (RDS), 40GB Hard Drive Device (HDD), USB and Audio connectivity, Steering Wheel Controls, and DVD-Based Navigation with XM NavTraffic (Real time traffic updates for DVD based Navigation)

•SPORT PACKAGE WITH 18” SUMMER TIRES

Includes:

18 x 8 (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) Aluminum Wheels with High Polished Finish (P63)

P235/55ZR18 Y-Rated Summer only Performance Blackwall Tires* (QUR), Performance Handling Suspension with Automatic Rear Load Levelling and Speed Sensitive Variable Assist Steering (FE3), Limited Slip Differential (G80), Performance Cooling System** (V03), Fog Lamps integral in Front Facia (T96), Xenon, High-Intensity Discharge (HID) with Adaptive Forward Lighting System (TT6) and Headlamp Washers (CE4)

•PERFORMANCE PACKAGE WITH 18” All SEASON TIRES

Includes:

18 x 8 (45.7 cm. 20.3 cm) Aluminum Wheels with Premium multi-coat painted finish (P75)

P235/50R18 V-Rated All-Season Blackwall Tires (QKE), Limited Slip Differential (G80), Sport Suspension (FE2), Performance Braking System* (J55), Performance Cooling System** (V03), Fog Lamps integral in front facia (T96), Xenon, High Intensity Discharge (HID) with Adaptive Forward Lighting system (TT6) and Headlamp Washers (CE4)

* Available only with Automatic AWD Transmission (MX7)

** Available only with Automatic Transmission (MX0/MX7)

•SIGHT AND SOUND PACKAGE

Includes:

6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer with MP3 Capability (U2R), Theft Deterrent Alarm System (UA6), Rainsense Wipers (CE1), Interior Accent Lighting with LED Light Pipes and Spot Lights (TSQ) and 17 x 8 Machined-Faced Aluminum Wheels (P62)

•Steering Wheel Controls: Controls for Audio, HVAC, Cruise Control, Traction Control, Call end and Navigation Repeat (If Equipped)

o GOD! let me start countin my pennies. I've gotta get one of these. 3-d mapping? Crazy. I wonder if they could get a contract w/ google earth (best stuff in the world). I'm just scared of the premium this technology will come at. Plus, if I can get a hard-drive on a dodge, it makes since for a cadillac... I'm just surprised Caddy didn't have this 1st!

As bad as I hate to bring it up, you can get bluetooth integration, 30gig capacity music player, and CD ripper in the Lancer GTS for $20k. So all these luxury cars that have it don't really seem all that special BECAUSE of it.

Edited by bowtie_dude

don't tweak me, dude. you seriously mean this cts will play the dvd-audio 5.1 surround mixes?

i thought only the acuras did that. oh i am so cts now.

Here is a few more details on the 2008 CTS:

Just Some Hightlights...

•SOUND SYSTEM WITH BOSE 5.1 CABIN SURROUND SOUND

AM/FM Stereo, Single CD/ DVD Player*, MP3 Playback and Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround Sound 10-Speaker System with Radio Data System (RDS), 40GB Hard Drive Device (HDD), USB and Auto Connectivity and Steering Wheel Controls

* NOTE: System will play DVD audio. To obtain DVD video play capability, Sound System with Navigation Package (UAV) should be ordered.

•SOUND SYSTEM WITH NAVIGATION

AM/FM Stereo with Single CD/DVD Player, MP3 Playback and Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround Sound 10-Speaker System with Radio Data System (RDS), 40GB Hard Drive Device (HDD), USB and Audio connectivity, Steering Wheel Controls, and DVD-Based Navigation with XM NavTraffic (Real time traffic updates for DVD based Navigation)

•SPORT PACKAGE WITH 18” SUMMER TIRES

Includes:

18 x 8 (45.7 cm x 20.3 cm) Aluminum Wheels with High Polished Finish (P63)

P235/55ZR18 Y-Rated Summer only Performance Blackwall Tires* (QUR), Performance Handling Suspension with Automatic Rear Load Levelling and Speed Sensitive Variable Assist Steering (FE3), Limited Slip Differential (G80), Performance Cooling System** (V03), Fog Lamps integral in Front Facia (T96), Xenon, High-Intensity Discharge (HID) with Adaptive Forward Lighting System (TT6) and Headlamp Washers (CE4)

•PERFORMANCE PACKAGE WITH 18” All SEASON TIRES

Includes:

18 x 8 (45.7 cm. 20.3 cm) Aluminum Wheels with Premium multi-coat painted finish (P75)

P235/50R18 V-Rated All-Season Blackwall Tires (QKE), Limited Slip Differential (G80), Sport Suspension (FE2), Performance Braking System* (J55), Performance Cooling System** (V03), Fog Lamps integral in front facia (T96), Xenon, High Intensity Discharge (HID) with Adaptive Forward Lighting system (TT6) and Headlamp Washers (CE4)

* Available only with Automatic AWD Transmission (MX7)

** Available only with Automatic Transmission (MX0/MX7)

•SIGHT AND SOUND PACKAGE

Includes:

6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer with MP3 Capability (U2R), Theft Deterrent Alarm System (UA6), Rainsense Wipers (CE1), Interior Accent Lighting with LED Light Pipes and Spot Lights (TSQ) and 17 x 8 Machined-Faced Aluminum Wheels (P62)

•Steering Wheel Controls: Controls for Audio, HVAC, Cruise Control, Traction Control, Call end and Navigation Repeat (If Equipped)

As bad as I hate to bring it up, you can get bluetooth integration, 30gig capacity music player, and CD ripper in the Lancer GTS for $20k. So all these luxury cars that have it don't really seem all that special BECAUSE of it.

But then you're stuck driving a cramped econobox piece of $h!. All of those "extras" are there to distract you from the fact that the car itself is crap, but hey, look at all this cool stuff!

But then you're stuck driving a cramped econobox piece of $h!. All of those "extras" are there to distract you from the fact that the car itself is crap, but hey, look at all this cool stuff!

All I'm saying is that if it can be an option in a sub-$20k car, its not that big of a deal in $35k+ vehicles. Its kind of a "Well duh!" kind of addition to the options list. Its nothing to get overly excited about.

:omfg:

Now add a Quad-core CPU and dual Nvidia 8800 GTX Ultra on SLI and I can play Supreme Commander while Driving the CTS-V.

:bowdown::metal: KILKILLKILL,KILLKILLKILL,YEEEEAAHHHH!!!!

Looks like GM aims to shut up the critics that have bashed GM luxury cars for not offering the latest technology in their cars.

A few things I love...

DVD navigation with WEATHER

Ability to pause live radio - TIVO for your car

Internal hard drive - this is the future of the automotive industry, glad Cadillac didn't drop the ball here

Blue Tooth - Finally

iPod integration

This thing is going to rock.

Looks like GM aims to shut up the critics that have bashed GM luxury cars for not offering the latest technology in their cars.

A few things I love...

DVD navigation with WEATHER

Ability to pause live radio - TIVO for your car

Internal hard drive - this is the future of the automotive industry, glad Cadillac didn't drop the ball here

Blue Tooth - Finally

iPod integration

This thing is going to rock.

DVD Navigation with Weather and TIVO for the car are the best things to come. I wonder why the Germans missed this boat, or the German pretender Lexus did not think of it.

Internal HDD is the future. As cars become more sophisticated, I am sure they will offer more functions with stored memory options. May be they will be even track people's driving data and behavior.

DVD Navigation with Weather and TIVO for the car are the best things to come. I wonder why the Germans missed this boat, or the German pretender Lexus did not think of it.

Internal HDD is the future. As cars become more sophisticated, I am sure they will offer more functions with stored memory options. May be they will be even track people's driving data and behavior.

ALL cars do now (2007 and up), they ALL will have 'black boxes'....to do exactly what your saying. It will monitor speed, braking, seatbelts and everything in between.....................

It's a two sided sword... it could help you in the event of a problem (accident) or hurt you.

Ask Governor Corzin of NJ

seems to me that an SSD (solid state drive) would make far more sense in a vehicle application, what with vibrations and bouncing and all. downside is that they are still at a premium. kinda one of those price vs. quality areas, where it may not make sense to spend that much extra for the reliability factor.

• 2 weeks later...

can you download the nav DVD to the hard drive..or will yo still need to load the DVD every time you need the nav i hate this feature on my av. wish the nav DVD was load on in the radio and i can store the DVD in a safe place...google earth nope its maps-pictures are old some are even 4 yours old...i like the new Microsoft live its pictures -maps are more updated blue tooth would be cool id like to have that feature in my Av. just to lazy (cheap) to go aftermarket....

• 2 weeks later...