6t5frlane

Ford Edge

37 posts in this topic

Looks like the " Edge " is a hit for Ford. May sales were best yet with 12,701 sold. Fors says that they hoped to sell 100.000 units. Looks more like 120,000 now. Some good news for them

the edge is a nice package. it has weight issues and interiors deficiencies and could use manual shift control....but it does seem to fit what a lot of folks want. edge will even cannibalize taurus and explorer.

the edge is a nice package. it has weight issues and interiors deficiencies and could use manual shift control....but it does seem to fit what a lot of folks want. edge will even cannibalize taurus and explorer.

And to think it's considerably cheaper than the Acadia which sold over 9k units along in May (+ over 4k for the Outlook). If GM give's Chevy a 5 seater SWB version it'd sell awsome. Not sure why GM didn't offer it?

edge is way cheaper. i've priced them. a base outlook comes close to a baser edge, but go buick or gmc and add a few options and bye bye lambda.

i know i could roll my 500 lease into an edge lease and not pay much more but i can't afford a lambda most likely, even with my GM card dollars.

I don't think its getting sales because it is a great product. I think Ford has just done a great job of advertising the hell out of it. Ford sponsors American Idol and Extreme Home Makeover and every time one of those shows come on, there's an Edge commercial in there at least twice. They shove it down viewers throats, which is a good thing for Ford to do. It will help them make $. Its just a bad execution of a decent design in my opinion.

Ford is getting great sales because it is the one, and only worthy new, big 3, midsized, $26,000 crossover.

There is no competition from GM.

There is pathetic competition from Chrysler with the Nitro.

I think Ford is doing great because Ford is getting 3-companies-in-1 sales; although Chrysler could be considered a decent performer, putting out 2 models.

model............may '07..............'07

Edge..............12,701 ...........46,313

Highlander .....11,991 ...........53,496

Pilot ..............10,133............56,261

Santa Fe..........7,930............35,912

Murano ...........6,473............38,206

Nitro................6,110............31,444

Pacifica............3,487............28,502

CX-7 ...............2,740 ...........12,680

The Edge is a decent product with a monopoly on a pool of big 3 buyers.

Managed to beat Toyota's ancient product for May.

Edited by JT64

Ford is getting great sales because it is the one, and only worthy new, big 3, midsized, $26,000 crossover.

I think Ford is doing great because Ford is getting 3-companies-in-1 sales; although Chrysler could be considered a decent performer, putting out 2 models.

santa fe = yuck

I still feel the Edge is a bit overpriced. It has a bit more style than the Lambdas (save the Enclave, but that's a different definition of style), but the Lambdas are much better vehicles overall. Someone made a good point about a 5-seat Chevy Lambda, I have to think that would be a much better package. But alas, it doesn't exist yet. Note to Ford though, more competition is on its way, keep refining the Edge as aggressively as possible and keep it ahead of the curve, don't rest on your laurels and let it go 10 years without a full redesign...like you normally do.

How are the Equinox or the RAV4 not in competition with the Edge? They are basically the same size. The Edge only has a larger advantage with its width by a few inches.

The Edge only has a larger advantage with its width by a few inches.

Width is pretty much what has defined the size classes. Sit in the cars and you'll really feel it.

Hell, the Tahoe is only considered a large SUV by it's width, it's so damn short, with a cramped back seat.

Go try out an Edge, a Murano, and a Santa Fe.

Then sit in the Rav4 and the Equinox and you will feel their smallness, and cheapness.

Similarly, ask why is a Nissan Versa a "subcompact", with a load of legroom and total passenger volume?

They just file it there by its width. This would be analogous to the Equinox's legroomy backseats.

Aside from the Equinox's backseat legroom, the Equinox has the interior of a small crossover.

But for the sake of excessive data collection, here:

CR-V............19,513.........84,464

Escape..........18,953.........73,058

Rav4.............16,547.........72,447

Equinox..........6,594..........36,603

Tucson............3,454..........16,711

Sportage.........4,678..........20,088

Patriot.............4,504..........10,336

Mariner............4,395..........15,890

Compass.........3,735...........18,812

Torrent............2,885..........12,481

Edited by JT64

Wow. I'm sad that the Mazda CX-7 trails everything on that list, including the weak Santa Fe. I see plenty of CX-7's here in Colorado, and they're really a well-formed little package. Gotta love that turbo four - but maybe that's the problem for a lot of buyers, too.

I fear, too, that the Lambdas (especially the Outlook) may destroy the similarly-sized and -powered CX-9 before Mazda has even gotten it out of the gate...

As for the Nitro, its sales are inexplicable to me. It's got horrible packaging and is downright uncomfortable, at least for me (and I'm only 5'10"). I never really was a fan of the Jeep Liberty, but it's a damn sight better than its new Dodge brother.

Oh, and the Highlander sucks ass. If I wanted a Camry wagon, that's probably what I would buy. Except that I don't, and I won't.

Edited by Duncan

Width is pretty much what has defined the size classes. Sit in the cars and you'll really feel it.

Hell, the Tahoe is only considered a large SUV by it's width, it's so damn short, with a cramped back seat.

Go try out an Edge, a Murano, and a Santa Fe.

Then sit in the Rav4 and the Equinox and you will feel their smallness, and cheapness.

If that's the case, then why is the Highlander in your original list. It's the same size as the RAV4. Compare the Edge with the Equinox and the RAV4 and tell me how they aren't in the same midsize class.

If that's the case, then why is the Highlander in your original list. It's the same size as the RAV4. Compare the Edge with the Equinox and the RAV4 and tell me how they aren't in the same midsize class.

The Highlander is 57.9"-57" throughout, which is a tad wider than the Rav4.

It's an outgoing model that will get its normal size-up to match everyone else, slotting between the Edge and the Murano at 75.2" exterior width.

The exterior length increases to class leading 188.4". The 2008 Highlander will be one of the biggest midsizers.

Why are you trying to convince me? I didn't come up with the classifications lol.

Toyota press releases declare the Rav4 a "compact SUV", "small SUV market", and the Highlander the "mid-size SUV segment".

GM advertising assigns the Equinox the "GM Small Utility segment ".

GM states the Equinox's competitors are the Ford Escape and the Jeep Liberty.

These are classifications assigned by the companies, and the media seems to follow suit.

The Highlander competes in the $26,000 mid, while the Rav4 competes in the $20,000 small.

It's matched up like that everywhere you read.

Edited by JT64

As for the Nitro, its sales are inexplicable to me. It's got horrible packaging and is downright uncomfortable, at least for me (and I'm only 5'10"). I never really was a fan of the Jeep Liberty, but it's a damn sight better than its new Dodge brother.

Maybe because you can get a 3.7L, 210 hp Nitro for $19,000?

Like how ridiculously cheap the rest of Chrysler's entire vehicle lineup is.

Chrysler seems to be America's Kia.

Edited by JT64

The Highlander is 57.9"-57" throughout, which is a tad wider than the Rav4.

It's an outgoing model that will get its normal size-up to match everyone else, slotting between the Edge and the Murano at 75.2" exterior width.

The exterior length increases to class leading 188.4". The 2008 Highlander will be one of the biggest midsizers.

Why are you trying to convince me? I didn't come up with the classifications lol.

You know the Highlander competes in the $26,000 mid, while the Rav4 competes in the $20,000 small.

It's matched up like that everywhere you read.

Do you feel inadequate with a Rav4 you own?

You made my point for me with the "tad wider". I don't care about the 2008 Highlander. You posted sales of the 2007.

Here's my point. It doesn't matter what the manufactures classify their vehicle as. Consumers will compare one vehicle to vehicles from another maker that are roughly the same size as what they are looking at. There is always competition from other manufacturers.

And no I don't have a RAV4. But if I did I'll be trying to race Edges from traffic lights. :pokeowned:

Size has nothing to do with why the Edge and Equinox are not direct competitors. There is a class of sportier/more stylish CUVs. Think CX-7, Edge and Murano. If stripped down and decontented, the Edge could compete in the lower-$20K market with the Equinox. But, Ford tries to cover that market with the Escape and instead put the Edge package where it is. GM doesn't exactly have a direct competitor as of yet, but I would suspect that the upcoming Buick Theta would address that.

Size has nothing to do with why the Edge and Equinox are not direct competitors. There is a class of sportier/more stylish CUVs. Think CX-7, Edge and Murano. If stripped down and decontented, the Edge could compete in the lower-$20K market with the Equinox. But, Ford tries to cover that market with the Escape and instead put the Edge package where it is. GM doesn't exactly have a direct competitor as of yet, but I would suspect that the upcoming Buick Theta would address that.

:huh:

So it's not about size, but looking sporty. Because the Edge is far from being sporty.

Will the 2008 Equinox Sport be in competition to the Edge?

Edited by Derek77

Stop making up excuses...

Yes the Highlander is currently undersized, because it is the last generation.

We all know Americans get more and more obese each decade. So our cars need to conform.

Posted Image

It is only about size.

It requires no argument.

Invite your rear end into the cabin of the Murano.

Close the door.

Wait for 20 seconds. Then motivate your rear end into the seat of a Equinox, CR-V, or a Rav4.

Close the door.

It is impossible to confuse the blatant size differences.

Try out the backseat of the Murano too.

The Murano is a cave.

The Murano puts even the so called "large SUV" Tahoe to shame.

No the Equinox will never be big enough to compete with the Edge. That's what the upcoming Chevy crossover is for.

All answers will be revealed if you've spent 20 seconds inside each vehicle.

All answers.

Maybe all but a few answers.

At least all size questions will be answered.

Be sure you count to 20.

Edited by JT64

Interior width is very easily perceived.

People cannot reduce their width, without uncomfortable scrunching of their shoulders.

People can reduce their height by leaning the seat back, and lowering the seat.

People can reduce their length by moving the seat cushion front edge higher, and bending their legs.

People cannot reduce their width.

For generic comparison of interior width:

subcompact sedan: ..........................51"

compact:. ..........................................53"

midsized sedan / small crossover: ....56"

large sedan / midsized crossover: ....58"

large crossover / midsized truck: ......61"

full sized SUV/truck: ..........................65"

Interior width defines size classes.

If you are born genetically big boned, you will easily appreciate the size classes.

As you can see, size classes are only separated by 2-3" differentials.

Those 2"-3" differences make a big... difference.

Please attend your next local auto show for details.

Few exceptions may apply.

Be sure to try out all the BMW and Mercedes-Benz interiors for free too.

Carry anti-German literature and symbols to prevent conversion.

Edited by JT64

Stop making up excuses...

Yes the Highlander is currently undersized, because it is the last generation.

We all know Americans get more and more obese each decade. So our cars need to conform.

Posted Image

It is only about size.

It requires no argument.

Invite your rear end into the cabin of the Murano.

Close the door.

Wait for 20 seconds. Then motivate your rear end into the seat of a Equinox, CR-V, or a Rav4.

It is impossible to confuse the blatant size differences.

Try out the backseat of the Murano too.

The Murano is a cave.

The Murano puts even the so called "large SUV" Tahoe to shame.

No the Equinox will never be big enough to compete with the Edge. That's what the upcoming Chevy crossover is for.

All answers will be revealed if you've spent 20 seconds inside each vehicle.

All answers.

Maybe all but a few answers.

At least all size questions will be answered.

Be sure you count to 20.

Wouldn't the upcoming Chevy crossover be wider than the Edge then? The Acadia is almost 3" wider than the Edge? Would that put the Chevy in a class of its own with no competition from any other automaker?

Do you get my point yet on competition? :scratchchin:

Interior width is very easily perceived.

People cannot reduce their width, without uncomfortable scrunching of their shoulders.

People can reduce their height by leaning the seat back, and lowering the seat.

People can reduce their length by moving the seat cushion front edge higher, and bending their legs.

People cannot reduce their width.

For generic comparison of interior width:

subcompact sedan: ..........................51"

compact:. ..........................................53"

midsized sedan / small crossover: ....56"

large sedan / midsized crossover: ....58"

large crossover / midsized truck: ......61"

full sized SUV/truck: ..........................65"

Interior width defines size classes.

If you are born genetically big boned, you will easily appreciate the size classes.

As you can see, size classes are only separated by 2-3" differentials.

Those 2"-3" differences make a big... difference.

Please attend your next local auto show for details.

Few exceptions may apply.

Be sure to try out all the BMW and Mercedes-Benz interiors for free too.

Carry anti-German literature and symbols to prevent conversion.

Oh, people can reduce their width. The lady in the picture ain't all bones. But I get what you are trying to say.

Where did you get the list from?

:huh:

So it's not about size, but looking sporty. Because the Edge is far from being sporty.

Will the 2008 Equinox Sport be in competition to the Edge?

I know, I use the term sporty loosely and it's not the right term to use, but I couldn't quite think of how I wanted to say this...maybe sleek is better. My thought is to try to explain the difference between the Edge and Freestyle/Taurus X? They cost about the same and are very close in size, but there is plenty of room for both in today's market. In my mind, the Lambdas compete more closely with the Freestyle (beat the pants off it), the Thetas compete with the Escape and GM doesn't have anything that directly addresses the Edge. I know I'm not explaining this well, but there are more important differences here than size.

Oh, people can reduce their width. The lady in the picture ain't all bones. But I get what you are trying to say.

Where did you get the list from?

Ha.

No where in particular. You can get all vehicle stats on one easy to access page with

http://www.carsdirect.com/research/compare...des=-,-,-,-,-,-

Sometimes they have a few typos. So then there's the bazillion other places on the internet.

But carsdirect is usually the easiest to access.

I test drove an Edge on Saturday and loved it. Really, really loved it. It was an SE AWD in Blazing Copper. I tried, hard, to make the money work out, but the dealer wasn't willing to work with me and I didn't want to increase my monthly payments by more than $100, so we'll wait to see if incentives increase later in the year. Or wait for the Flex.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor