Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mustang84

2008 Taurus MPG...competitive numbers

17 posts in this topic

I can see the advertising now: "2008 Taurus: achieves the same highway MPG as leading competitors while having the largest interior space and trunk in its class, plus the class-exclusive option of AWD"

Seriously, Ford better market the HELL out of this car....you're talking highway MPG numbers that match the Camry and Impala, and beat the Accord, Sonata, Maxima, and Altima. City MPG is on the low side but still extremely competitive considering its size...AND you have 260 hp.

2007 Five Hundred FWD vs. 2008 Taurus FWD

Posted ImagePosted Image

2007 Five Hundred AWD vs. 2008 Taurus AWD

Posted ImagePosted Image

Comparison Group: (MPG numbers posted as: City/Hwy/Combined) [originally posted by igor]

Taurus FWD V6 Auto6: 18/28/22

Accord V6 Auto5: 18/26/21

Camry V6 Auto6: 19/28/23

Avalon V6 Auto5: 20/28/23

Sonata V6 Auto5: 18/27/21

Azera V6 Auto5: 18/26/21

Impala 3.5l V6 Auto4: 18/28/22

Lucerne V6 Auto4: 17/26/20

Maxima V6 CVT: 19/25/21

Altima V6 CVT: 20/26/22

300 RWD, 3.5 V6, Auto5: 17/24/20

Not a bad comparison .. if yo ucan think of more competitors .. post them .

All numbers are from fueleconomy.gov and are using the new testing method.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50060

Edited by mustang84

I can see the advertising now: "2008 Taurus: achieves the same highway MPG as leading competitors while having the largest interior space and trunk in its class, plus the class-exclusive option of AWD"

Erm...the 300 has optional AWD

i got 29 mpg on my last trip in my 500. the new powertrain is supposed to have equal or better mpg. i've been getting 22.5 or so in the city lately.

for all that room it's a good deal. some people only get 23-25 mpg with stuff like 4 cyl elements, escapes, PT cruisers etc. lots of small sedans have issues not being able to make 30 mpg.

Mazdaspeed 3's, focus SVT's etc...those cars struggle to get much more than 20mpg. why buy a small car unless you get decent mileage? Not worth putting up with a cramped $h!box if the larger car can muster almost as good a mpg.

it's one thing that is leaning me towards a taurus vs. an edge although i bet the edge gets decent trip mpg. the vehicle weight is a larger factor in city mpg and the edge is about 500 pounds plus heavier across the board.

there seems to be a big difference in FWD vs AWD version though. there was no real world difference in the AWD vs FWD on the current 500 and FS. I even remember on poster who would often get 32+ mpg hwy on their AWD freestyle. not bad for a 7 passenger.

Edited by regfootball

Erm...the 300 has optional AWD

I almost consider the 300 a different class though since it is primarily RWD and offers a large V8 engine, just like I don't consider the Crown Vic in the same class as the Five Hundred / Taurus even though they're both large cars.

the taurus w/ 265 hp will be nearly as quick as the hemi 300. i think the 340hp hemi 300's are documented with what, 5.9or 6.0 0-60 times?

the taurus is lighter but with far fewer hp, but if the tranny is set up correctly, we'll be around 6.5 0-60.

the 300 drives better i'm sure, but the 300 is a RWD bias and the taurus is a FWD bias.

at least in a taurs you won't feel like you're looking through a mailslot windshield or feel like you're driving around with a blanket over your head.

The taurus should likely get about 5 mpg better or more than a hemi charger. i expect the taurus to outaccelerate the v6 300.

driving the edge, the new v6 is SWEET.

Edited by regfootball

The Five-hundred was not that bad looking just too tall & boring.

The Taurus is effin ugly as sin. :puke:

the taurus w/ 265 hp will be nearly as quick as the hemi 300. i think the 340hp hemi 300's are documented with what, 5.9or 6.0 0-60 times?

the taurus is lighter but with far fewer hp, but if the tranny is set up correctly, we'll be around 6.5 0-60.

Motor Trend got a 5.8 sec 0-60 with their long term tester 300C. (http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/oneyea..._chrysler_300c/)

The Fivehundred achieved an 8.6 sec 0-60 in this Motor Trend test (compared to an 8.0 0-60 by the 300 Touring): http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/...pecs_price.html

That would be pretty amazing if Ford could shave off over 2 full seconds on the 0-60 with only 57 more horsepower. I guess we'll see?

Edited by BrewSwillis

Mpg is not bad. It's at least competitive with the Azera.

What would be most polarizing for buyers like me would be the interior design...

competitive mpg... repulsively straight lined interior... no sale.

It looks like a traditional 1950s executive board room.

Everything is straight cut, before the age of computer aided design, allowing flowing free forms.

Posted Image

But that's my taste.

Edited by JT64

I wish Ford would offer bodyside moldings to liven up the plain boring side look of the car.

I DESPISE the moldings on my 500.

I love the look now without moldings but with the door spats at the bottom.

Posted Image

the biggest thing ford could do here is to get some decent looking wheels on the car. wider tires, 19" wheels, five or six spoke with menacing wide spokes. hypersilver or chrome.

it's too bad they couldn't push the rear wheels back about 4 inches and lessen the front overhang.

Edited by regfootball

Mpg is not bad. It's at least competitive with the Azera.

What would be most polarizing for buyers like me would be the interior design...

competitive mpg... repulsively straight lined interior... no sale.

It looks like a traditional 1950s executive board room.

Everything is straight cut, before the age of computer aided design, allowing flowing free forms.

Posted Image

But that's my taste.

agree on the design. but at least the new two tone helps. in either case, stop swearing (saying Azera).

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0