Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Chevy cancels Cobalt SS Supercharged for 2008

22 posts in this topic

Posted Jun 4th 2007 3:35PM by Frank Filipponio

Posted Image

It's been a little while since we talked about the Cobalt SS Supercharged and maybe that's part of the problem. Although this sporty version of the econo-minded Cobalt and one step up from the non-blown Cobalt SS has won its share of accolades from sporting organizations and publications, it hasn't seemed to keep up with the vehicles at the head of the sporty compact class. We know that it is a competent performer, but it seems that GM has quietly decided to discontinue it. The naturally aspirated SS, however, will soldier on, but with a new name. For 2008, the Cobalt SS becomes the Cobalt Sport, and the Cobalt SS Supercharged is being dropped altogether. It could be that Chevy wants to focus more attention on the upcoming HHR SS we showed you a little while ago. Whatever the reasoning, it appears the little Cobalt that could, will be no more. Unless, of course, Chevy is just working on finding a way to get the GXP/Redline 260-hp mill into the Cobalt's engine bay. Follow the jump for the full list of changes for the 2008 Cobalt.

Thanks for the tip, Chris!

[source: GM]

Deletions

* (21U) Laser Blue Metallic exterior color

* (56U) Sunburst Orange Metallic exterior color

* LTZ Sedan model

* SS Supercharged Coupe model

New Features

* (37U) Imperial Blue Metallic exterior color

* (39U) Blue Flash Metallic exterior color

* (87U) Slate Metallic exterior color

* (JL4) StabiliTrak stability control system

* (NW9) Traction control

* (ASD) Head-curtain side-impact air bag delete for Fleet and Government order types

* (UE0) OnStar delete for Fleet and Government order types

Changes

* 1AM37 is now called Sport Coupe and the equipment group code is now 1SP

* 1AM69 is now called Sport Sedan and the equipment group code is now 1SP

* (TV5) Sport Package is now called Performance Appearance Package and is an available option on 2LT Coupe and 2LT Sedan. The 3LT Coupe and 3LT Sedan equipment groups are deleted.

* (ASF) Head-curtain side-impact air bags are now standard on all models

* (US8) AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback is now standard on all models

* (U2K) XM Satellite Radio is now standard on all models

* Instrument panel uppers are now Ebony on all models

* LT Sedan with neutral interior now has woodgrain trim

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Stabilitrack? Traction control? Damn, where were those on the '06s?!

So apparently autoblog doesn't know crap about anything going on with the cobalt, since they're wondering if the turbo motor is coming, while pretty much everyone else already knows it is...

I keep thinking, with these incremental changes, that the MCE is coming maybe in the Spring of '08, with styling changes and the turbo engine. I am hoping the same thing with the T900 pickups and their continued use of the 4L60 transmission as noted in the '08 Order Guide. Or maybe it's wishful thinking on my part. I do feel an accelerated level of continuous improvement from GM, so maybe I'm right.

When equipped with ABS, the Cobalt has always had traction control. I would imagine that with the addition of Stabilitrak GM is switching to "enhanced" traction control, which allows for individual wheel braking.

Oh, the Civic does NOT have traction control.

Old news...

I wonder how much of the outside will be updated? Since a new one rolls out in late 09...

My '06 Cobalt has traction control. :P

I wonder if they'll do the sensible thing and put the turbo motor in a sedan as well as a coupe. That alone might bring me back to the Cobalt for 2009.

Then again, I worry about fuel economy.

Lousy conflict of interests.

When equipped with ABS, the Cobalt has always had traction control. I would imagine that with the addition of Stabilitrak GM is switching to "enhanced" traction control, which allows for individual wheel braking.

Oh, the Civic does NOT have traction control.

The Cobalt SS/SC has never had traction control (only the loaded LT's). The SC has an LSD option.

Edited by JMH

Posted Jun 4th 2007 3:35PM by Frank Filipponio

Posted Image

It's been a little while since we talked about the Cobalt SS Supercharged and maybe that's part of the problem. Although this sporty version of the econo-minded Cobalt and one step up from the non-blown Cobalt SS has won its share of accolades from sporting organizations and publications, it hasn't seemed to keep up with the vehicles at the head of the sporty compact class. We know that it is a competent performer, but it seems that GM has quietly decided to discontinue it. The naturally aspirated SS, however, will soldier on, but with a new name. For 2008, the Cobalt SS becomes the Cobalt Sport, and the Cobalt SS Supercharged is being dropped altogether. It could be that Chevy wants to focus more attention on the upcoming HHR SS we showed you a little while ago. Whatever the reasoning, it appears the little Cobalt that could, will be no more. Unless, of course, Chevy is just working on finding a way to get the GXP/Redline 260-hp mill into the Cobalt's engine bay. Follow the jump for the full list of changes for the 2008 Cobalt.

Thanks for the tip, Chris!

[source: GM]

Deletions

* (21U) Laser Blue Metallic exterior color

* (56U) Sunburst Orange Metallic exterior color

* LTZ Sedan model

* SS Supercharged Coupe model

New Features

* (37U) Imperial Blue Metallic exterior color

* (39U) Blue Flash Metallic exterior color

* (87U) Slate Metallic exterior color

* (JL4) StabiliTrak stability control system

* (NW9) Traction control

* (ASD) Head-curtain side-impact air bag delete for Fleet and Government order types

* (UE0) OnStar delete for Fleet and Government order types

Changes

* 1AM37 is now called Sport Coupe and the equipment group code is now 1SP

* 1AM69 is now called Sport Sedan and the equipment group code is now 1SP

* (TV5) Sport Package is now called Performance Appearance Package and is an available option on 2LT Coupe and 2LT Sedan. The 3LT Coupe and 3LT Sedan equipment groups are deleted.

* (ASF) Head-curtain side-impact air bags are now standard on all models

* (US8) AM/FM stereo with CD player and MP3 playback is now standard on all models

* (U2K) XM Satellite Radio is now standard on all models

* Instrument panel uppers are now Ebony on all models

* LT Sedan with neutral interior now has woodgrain trim

The 2008 SS/SC was discontinued because it wouldn't meet new emitions standards in place next year. It apparantly made up less than 3% of Cobalt sales so it wasn't worth their while to tweak it further. New Balt in 09' aswell. I'm hoping it goes RWD with the Solstice variant of the LSJ.

Probably dreaming.

The 2008 SS/SC was discontinued because it wouldn't meet new emitions standards in place next year. It apparantly made up less than 3% of Cobalt sales so it wasn't worth their while to tweak it further. New Balt in 09' aswell. I'm hoping it goes RWD with the Solstice variant of the LSJ.

Probably dreaming.

The new car is coming and expect it to be the same HHR 260 HP Turbo. It is already certified and would be cheap to buildone vs making two different engines.

The new Cobalt will not be a RWD.

The F bodfather has already stated it will not be gone long and this discontiue is much to do about nothing.

Yeah, I think the SS/SC made up more than 3% of all Cobalts sold. And I also doubt they discontinued it due to emissions.

Yeah, I think the SS/SC made up more than 3% of all Cobalts sold. And I also doubt they discontinued it due to emissions.

I think we have at lest 3% around here....

I see quite a few of them...

The S/C SS is LEVII certified and actually generates the same tonnage of CO2 as the turbo'd Ecotec slated to replace it.

Fuel Economy & Efficiency Guide

I think we have at lest 3% around here....

I see quite a few of them...

Ba-dum-cha! :D:P

I"m sure they're just standardizing on one engine rather than two. Concensous seems to be that the turbo model is better than the supercharged one... I see no problem with darwin ruling this one.

The Cobalt SS/SC has never had traction control (only the loaded LT's). The SC has an LSD option.

Erm, it DID, because even my brothers 2002 Cavalier does. When the front wheels slip the low trac light comes on and you can hear the engine powering up and down for traction.

I"m sure they're just standardizing on one engine rather than two. Concensous seems to be that the turbo model is better than the supercharged one... I see no problem with darwin ruling this one.

Darwin?!?!?! That monkey-loving atheist?!?!?! Are you kidding me?!?!?! Isn't it obvious that turbocharged and supercharged engines did not evolve but were instead intelligently desinged by a Supreme Being?!?!?! :P

Darwin?!?!?! That monkey-loving atheist?!?!?! Are you kidding me?!?!?! Isn't it obvious that turbocharged and supercharged engines did not evolve but were instead intelligently desinged by a Supreme Being?!?!?! :P

Bob Lutz is great and all... but I'm not sure I'd go that far.

Bob Lutz is great and all... but I'm not sure I'd go that far.

:lol: Lutz is at least 5 years older than God

Turbocharging > Supercharging.

It's more efficient, less rotating assembly & it

is the ultimate case of recycling. You take

something useless (exhaust gas) and use it

like a windmill uses wind (free energy) to turn

an impeller that forces air into the intake and

makes some SERIOUS power. The ultimate

case of things coming full circle.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Turbocharging > Supercharging.

It's more efficient, less rotating assembly & it

is the ultimate case of recycling. You take

something useless (exhaust gas) and use it

like a windmill uses wind (free energy) to turn

an impeller that forces air into the intake and

makes some SERIOUS power. The ultimate

case of things coming full circle.

Only if it is built right.

It took Buick just under 10 years to not cheap out and use a intercooler and water cooled housing so the bearings would live more than 35,000 miles.

Also oil and oil changes are important in a day when many just dont' service cars as they should.

I love turbo's but so many over the years were just built like crap. I also feared ever buying a used one due to the care it recieved over the years.

When was the last time you saw a running Sunbird Turbo or Gran Am Turbo. Who has seen a running Monte Carlo turbo in the last 20 years?

I have had supercharged cars and the maitanence has been no more than regular oil changes and a Belt on my SSEI and nothing on Comp G.

I know GM has finally done a better job on these turbo engines and they should hold up. I just worry on the service the owners give and how it will reflect on GM if they start to fail due to the lack of service. I know it won't be GM's fault but the public as a whole will blaime them.

I really love the new Sky Turbo and right now have been thinking of it or waiting on the Camaro.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0