GM changes top manager in performance division

By Jamie LaReau Automotive News / October 03, 2005 DETROIT -- General Motors is shuffling top management in its performance division as it pushes to reorganize product development on a global scale. Mark Reuss, 42, handed over the reigns of the performance division to 25-year GM veteran Bob Kruse, 49, effective Oct. 1. Kruse retains his position as executive director of GM North America vehicle integration. Reuss replaces Matt Tsien, 45, as executive director of GM North America vehicle systems and a 25-year GM veteran. Tsien is now executive director for global central engineering. Reuss, who has worked for GM since 1983, had been executive director of GM's performance division since 2002. "Mark has a completely new job," says GM spokesman Tom Wilkinson. "His responsibilities now concern the development of the vehicle systems such as body chassis, interiors, electronic controls and software." Wilkinson says GM made the changes to position the three in areas of "critical development" as GM works toward global product development.

Mark Reuss is the head of the specialty performance division that had a hand in the CTS-V, Cobalt SSSC, Corvette Zo6, and other performance vehicles.

[post="23501"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah...

People, reread the article.

The Performance Division is a seperate division within GM that was responsible for the RedLine Saturns, the SS Chevy's, GXP Pontiac's, V series Caddillacs, and probably some other cool stuff (that HHR Bonneville Racecar was made by them and SoCal. And Jay Leno's Toronado that was on that show Rides. And the Cobalt RaceCar that won the Time Attack challenge and beat a 650 HP Skyline.) That's a pretty impressive resume. If you ask me, I think those were the only car's selling w/o rebates and definately bolstered GM's bottom line. Sounds like Mark Reuss was doing something right, so they put him in charge of other cars. I see no problem. P.S. The Z06 is done by the Corvette team, as is the C6. They are seperate from GMPD. Edited by mrfunji

I forgot to add something that is related to what mrfunji said; with Reuss being an advocate of the Camaro and having openly talked about trying to get the Camaro done, I'd say him having more control over product development is a good sign for Camaro fans.

Yes, Croc, I do... But it's hard to joke around since its so true. That is probably what upsets me the most. Chevy really is more of a Performance division than Pontiac. The Corvette and all those SS models compared to Pontiac's GTO, Solstice, and one GXP model. Who is supposed to be the Performance division again?

C'mon now Wheels!  Chevrolet has been around forever!  Oh, you mean the OTHER "performance" division...yea...

[post="23497"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Croc, I know there are performace vehicles within GM. I also know that there are not many performance vehicles within GM that are affordable for the average income person. Besides the C6, V-series and GTO, it's hard for me to get too excited. I know the S/C Colbolt is a good one, not much more comes to mind. ( please don't even mention the waste of money SSR ). I am not a $550 a month car payment person, too many other things in life to pay for. Now, could I get excited about a S/C or turbo Solstice, depends on price. They need to make more affordable performance cars. My performance car does not need leather, power drivers/passenger seats, esc and all that crap. My performance car needs to accelerate, handle and brake very well, thats what makes a performance car. Gm needs a few cars in the line up that get back to basics, performance cars, as in the past.

Face it....there is not one "performance divison" at the General. Because the General has a performance vehicle for EVERY brand that there is. All different segments. Get over it.....Pontiac does NOT meet performance anymore.

Face it....there is not one "performance divison" at the General. Because the General has a performance vehicle for EVERY brand that there is. All different segments.

Get over it.....Pontiac does NOT meet performance anymore.

Anymore? By that and the rest of what you said, it never did. So how am I supposed to get over it? And what exactly is your definition of a performance brand? Ferrari? Porshe? Lamborghini? Lotus? Ofcourse Pontiac will never be that as it was never intended to be. BMW? Infiniti? The same. So what is it? If either of those fit your definition, Pontiac never was and never will be a performance brand. I would have thought you knew this... Pontiac is performance oriented daily drivers that are affordable. Yet, it still isn't that. It needs work... and alot of it. I've said that before. So, what exactly am I supposed to get over?

BTW, I love that performance Lucerne. It really gets my adrenaline going... As well as that track performer from Hummer. Did I forget GMC's Envoy Denali? Oh my... I did. How could I forget such a performance oriented SUV? Performance vehicle at every brand, eh? Specific premium offering, yes. That, I think not.

Are you on drugs tonight, Josh? :huh: :lol: :P j/k

Pontiac is a muddled division within GM. They have been chasing the wrong image with the wrong product while capturing only about half the audience they wanted. The other half went to tuner imports and real sporty cars like Nissan, Mazda, etc. Pontiac's dream would be to return to that status of being the rebel child. They had the wild styling that nobody could mimic, and you had to have real balls to own something as distinctive in it. Pontiac's image is muddied, just like most of GMs divisions. Saying there is no performance division within GM is like saying there is no true competitor within GM to VW, Audi, BMW, even Honda. It's just factual. GM has, however, made some great strides in the performance arena, and Pontiac has not been totally abandoned within that race. GTO, Solstice, and GP GXP are great performance cars [even though GXP is too big and powerful to be FWD; and it's a Pontiac so it JUST SHOULD BE RWD]. Chevy has gotten lots of performance attention lately, the SSSC, Impala SS, TB SS, Z06, SSR are all great performance cars. Unfortunately, this level of engineering detail doesn't filter down to the mass market cars, and while these cars are great performance bargains, many are left wondering when GM will get with the times and produce a G6 with a VVT 3.2 engine capable of smacking down the Accord in both mpgs and performance. [insert any number of imports that GM does not have a real credible performance competitor, Cien-like car to compete with Ferrari, Mazda 6 AWD competitor or AWD WRX competitor for Pontiac, etc, etc] It's the product people. Edited by turbo200

Anymore? By that and the rest of what you said, it never did. So how am I supposed to get over it? And what exactly is your definition of a performance brand? Ferrari? Porshe? Lamborghini? Lotus? Ofcourse Pontiac will never be that as it was never intended to be. BMW? Infiniti? The same. So what is it? If either of those fit your definition, Pontiac never was and never will be a performance brand. I would have thought you knew this... Pontiac is performance oriented daily drivers that are affordable. Yet, it still isn't that. It needs work... and alot of it. I've said that before. So, what exactly am I supposed to get over?

BTW, I love that performance Lucerne. It really gets my adrenaline going... As well as that track performer from Hummer. Did I forget GMC's Envoy Denali? Oh my... I did. How could I forget such a performance oriented SUV? Performance vehicle at every brand, eh? Specific premium offering, yes. That, I think not.

Are you on drugs tonight, Josh? :huh: :lol: :P j/k

[post="23587"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You should obviously know when to read something that is good for you. Drugs? Not hardly.

Get an education.

"Get an education." Is that all you can say? Wow... I was just joking about the drugs, but maybe you really are tonight... :blink: And what exactly is supposed to be good for me? Your post? The original post? My post? What? You're being very vague. Same with what I am supposed to get over... Anyways, Turbo's post is full of points. Most I agree with. Some I dont, but I'm biased about certain things.

I'll save face and say you know nothing about this business. However I'll also say that you are 100% correct in what you say just to shut your mouth up. This business is so much more than anybody knows.

Face it....there is not one "performance divison" at the General. Because the General has a performance vehicle for EVERY brand that there is. All different segments.

Get over it.....Pontiac does NOT meet performance anymore.

[post="23575"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Performace Division is a group of people @ GM not a brand. Mark Reuss was an executive of a group of people.

There is nothing wrong with a performance/halo vehicle for every division. It helps build brand image and rep. Would you like to see Cadillac with no V series? They need them to compete against Mercedes and BMW with AMG and M Divisions respectively. Would you like to see Pontiac with no GXP editions (I believe Car and Driver called the Grand Prix GXP a FWD breakthrough???). Plus, you guys have been oozing over a GXP Solstice (and RedLine Sky). I mean it's not like they are making high-performance Buicks.

So, what's wrong with having a high performance car in brands that could use them? (Plus high performance is respective to their segment. A high performance Hummer isn't a drag racer, it's an off road monster. See H1 Alpha.) Edited by mrfunji

Mark Reuss is going to do more good working on things that will cover all the car lines vs just the performance models. He is well liked by management and with a lot of new models coming including the RWD cars, I see no one better to lead development.

As for Pontiac It is not the best of times but it is not the worst. I recall 1980-1983 as some pretty lean years. At least today we have a GTO that blows the doors off most Pontiac's past and present. A GXP GP that may be FWD but is a true drivers car. Now we have the Solstice that MPH magazine drove to Alaska [don't ask why] and loved the car. They said it had great handling and rode bettter on a gravel road than a M3 did on the LA freeways. With the right engine I see the G6 coupe as a wanted car soon.

Things at GM are turning and it takes time to turn a ship this big. I am sure in the next few years you will be please with what is coming.

Just wait for the next [I never thought I would say this] Malibu and CTS Caddy! These are the kind of cars that will change peoples preception of GM.

Performace Division is a group of people @ GM not a brand.  Mark Reuss was an executive of a group of people. 

There is nothing wrong with a performance/halo vehicle for every division.  It helps build brand image and rep.  Would you like to see Cadillac with no V series?  They need them to compete against Mercedes and BMW with AMG and M Divisions respectively.  Would you like to see Pontiac with no GXP editions (I believe Car and Driver called the Grand Prix GXP a FWD breakthrough???).  Plus, you guys have been oozing over a GXP Solstice (and RedLine Sky).  I mean it's not like they are making high-performance Buicks.

So, what's wrong with having a high performance car in brands that could use them?  (Plus high performance is respective to their segment.  A high performance Hummer isn't a drag racer, it's an off road monster.  See H1 Alpha.)

[post="23636"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I wil bookmark this post because I really think the author has no idea about anything.

I can respect BlackVipers drive and passion for Pontiacs and the history that comes from it, but history is just that. Something to learn from. Toyota is showing that you do not need 4 or 5 car divisions to be the biggest. Reality is that GM can return far better perfomance to it's stock holders and add far better quality vehicles to the public by focusing on just a few models. I love my GMC suburban, but am willing to see those same features show up in trim levels at Chevy. With that said, here is what I see would be the best for GM: Luxury Division: Cadillac Mid Grade Division: Buick Entry Division: Chevy Stop wasting money, Fold Pontiac and Saturn into Chevy and Buick. Focus on quality of cars that cover a easily accepted growth of the consumer from the econo box cars under chevy to family sedans and comfort in Buick and strive to have the ultimate cars under Cadillac. This would allow a far stronger company to compete with Toyota than the current model. Edited by dfelt

I can respect BlackVipers drive and passion for Pontiacs and the history that comes from it, but history is just that.  Something to learn from.  Toyota is showing that you do not need 4 or 5 car divisions to be the biggest.

Reality is that GM can return far better perfomance to it's stock holders and add far better quality vehicles to the public by focusing on just a few models.

I love my GMC suburban, but am willing to see those same features show up in trim levels at Chevy.

With that said, here is what I see would be the best for GM:

Luxury Division:  Cadillac
Mid Grade Division: Buick
Entry Division: Chevy

Stop wasting money, Fold Pontiac and Saturn into Chevy and Buick.  Focus on quality of cars that cover a easily accepted growth of the consumer from the econo box cars under chevy to family sedans and comfort in Buick and strive to have the ultimate cars under Cadillac.

This would allow a far stronger company to compete with Toyota than the current model.

[post="23761"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

And that would be as easy as killing Olds right? Is that your plan for Toyota to become bigger than GM? I think it might work

If you ask me, I think those were the only car's selling w/o rebates and definately bolstered GM's bottom line. Sounds like Mark Reuss was doing something right, so they put him in charge of other cars. I see no problem.

Precisely.

And maybe he can pre arrange things to actually make GMPD's job easier since he has that experience.

Pontiac is a muddled division within GM. They have been chasing the wrong image with the wrong product while capturing only about half the audience they wanted. The other half went to tuner imports and real sporty cars like Nissan, Mazda, etc. Pontiac's dream would be to return to that status of being the rebel child. They had the wild styling that nobody could mimic, and you had to have real balls to own something as distinctive in it. Pontiac's image is muddied, just like most of GMs divisions. Saying there is no performance division within GM is like saying there is no true competitor within GM to VW, Audi, BMW, even Honda. It's just factual.

GM has, however, made some great strides in the performance arena, and Pontiac has not been totally abandoned within that race. GTO, Solstice, and GP GXP are great performance cars [even though GXP is too big and powerful to be FWD; and it's a Pontiac so it JUST SHOULD BE RWD]. Chevy has gotten lots of performance attention lately, the SSSC, Impala SS, TB SS, Z06, SSR are all great performance cars. Unfortunately, this level of engineering detail doesn't filter down to the mass market cars, and while these cars are great performance bargains, many are left wondering when GM will get with the times and produce a G6 with a VVT 3.2 engine capable of smacking down the Accord in both mpgs and performance. [insert any number of imports that GM does not have a real credible performance competitor, Cien-like car to compete with Ferrari, Mazda 6 AWD competitor or AWD WRX competitor for Pontiac, etc, etc]

It's the product people.

[post="23589"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Excellent post!

Mark Reuss is going to do more good working on things that will cover all the car lines vs just the performance models. He is well liked by management and with a lot of new models coming including the RWD cars, I see no one better to lead development.

At one time Reuss was rumored to be a candidate as a successor to Lutz, I wonder if this promotion puts him more in line to do that?

Now we have the Solstice that MPH magazine drove to Alaska [don't ask why] and loved the car. They said it had great handling and rode bettter on a gravel road than a M3 did on the LA freeways.

I saw that and was VERY impresed! Every issue of MPH that I've seen (Only 2--this one and the one with the yellow Z06 on the cover) have been EXCELLENT and very respectful of domestics, not to mention the quality and photography is some of the best I've ever seen.

Those two MPH's might be a fluke, but if not then I'm all for supporting them. They really gave all of the domestics I read about in them all the respect they deserved.

Where di this magazine come from anyway? (It's just now filtering in around here) If it really is as unbiased as I thought it was on first impression then I hope it eats everyone elses lunch (MT, C&D, R&T, AW Automobile etc.)

Just wait for the next  [I never thought I would say this] Malibu and CTS Caddy! These are the kind of cars that will change peoples preception of GM.

I hope so with all my heart.... But, alas, we've all heard that before.... You know, just before the media destroys them for intangible reasons (It must sell more magazines)

I'll save face and say you know nothing about this business. However I'll also say that you are 100% correct in what you say just to shut your mouth up.

This business is so much more than anybody knows.

[post="23606"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Okay... I see you edited your post since last night. Was your original one not good enough?

What business are we talking about, here? Atleast, what one was I talking about? What did I say about this business? I would like to know since I don't see me talking about this so-called business.

Also, why did you add "just to shut your mouth up"? Isn't this kind of ironic since it won't, especially if you say that? I don't get it... by saying that you pretty much garantee that I won't shut up.

I misquoted. Your post is spot on. I was referring to somebody else, my apologies.

[post="23726"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

And this somebody is me, right? Why hide it?

Anyways, I don't see what your problem is. You made a post and I made a reponse to it. I questioned what didn't seem right to me. I think you have misinterpreted what I have all said. That and when I asked you to clear some things up, you didn't and just said how I don't know the ways of this business. Okay...? I think the confusion started with your "know what is good for you" comment. I'd still like to know what is supposed to be good for me. When I asked originally, you once again talked about this business. If this is all what I think it is... I never said anything about it in my post.

So, this time, can you please just tell me for Christ's sake? Edited by blackviper8891

Asked nicely... Was I even asked? I don't see any question or anything nice. And Croc, you are not Josh. If I wanted to know what Josh was saying, why would I ask you? I wouldn't because you.. don't.. know. You.. are.. not.. him. Understand? So... take your problems with me elsewhere.

At one time Reuss was rumored to be a candidate as a successor to Lutz, I wonder if this promotion puts him more in line to do that?

Maybe, I believe he is now an equal to Kruse. Where Kruse is responsible for putting the whole vehicle together, Reuss is responsible for getting the pieces right that Kruse will integrate.

The two orgs must work hand in hand. Kruse's org will identify issues at the proving grounds and root cause the concern and Reuss's org will have to make the necessary changes to the components. Edited by evok

And that would be as easy as killing Olds right? Is that your plan for Toyota to become bigger than GM? I think it might work

[post="23766"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Appears that instead of you thinking of having a few companies with a clear strategy, dollars focused on making every car under those names be the best they can be that you only see it as GM loosing ground to Toyota. Toyota is nipping at GM's Heals and has grown to this point by focusing on a few lines with cars that are considered to be some of the best.

To me, GM needs to dump the legacy baggage and refocuse the resources on what can help them keep their lead as the worlds largest automotive manufacture. I believe the General can and will keep it's crown as King of the hill, but to do this they need to change their cloths.

Appears that instead of you thinking of having a few companies with a clear strategy, dollars focused on making every car under those names be the best they can be that you only see it as GM loosing ground to Toyota.  Toyota is nipping at GM's Heals and has grown to this point by focusing on a few lines with cars that are considered to be some of the best.

To me, GM needs to dump the legacy baggage and refocuse the resources on what can help them keep their lead as the worlds largest automotive manufacture.  I believe the General can and will keep it's crown as King of the hill, but to do this they need to change their cloths.

[post="23871"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The legacy costs are attached to GM itself, not the individual brands. Dumping the brands would just dump their sales. So GM should have 3 brands, being double Toyotas size? Didnt Toyota just add another brand? It would be very expensive for GM to drop all but 3 brands. And GM is not Toyota, and I hope they never act like Toyota either. I like GM because they are GM. If GM acted like Toyota, I wouldnt be a GM fan anymore, and neither would most other people posting here I believe.

Argue, argue, argue...all you do is argue...it gets irksome.

[post="23823"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I was there watching the whole thing, didn't want to step in because I thought they would resolve it. Josh took some words BV said, misinterpreted them, and added a whole lot of heat to it. Kinda like he does a lot. Josh is trigger-happy. BV didn't say anything to warrant Josh's response, and unless there was some issues already there, BV was just saying some simple things that didn't really warrant all the "you know what's good for you" talk.

I was there watching the whole thing, didn't want to step in because I thought they would resolve it. Josh took some words BV said, misinterpreted them, and added a whole lot of heat to it. Kinda like he does a lot. Josh is trigger-happy. BV didn't say anything to warrant Josh's response, and unless there was some issues already there, BV was just saying some simple things that didn't really warrant all the "you know what's good for you" talk.

[post="23902"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Hey, I'm not criticizing Josh in this one...I'm kinda with him in a way. BV just argues until you finally tell him he's right...and it gets old. I'm not gonna sit here and lie through my teeth about how amazing Pontiac is, and what a jewel they are for GM...because they're not at all by any stretch of the imagination, except in Canada. Not all brands have to be in both countries, anyway.

:huh: Turbo, thank you. That is how I, being BV, interpretted it. As for Croc... What the hell is your problem? Seriously? Yeah... I argue and I argue alot. I am arguementive. Yes, there is such a thing. Deal with it, that's me. But until you tell me I'm right? What exactly do you mean by this? I know what I love and love what I know. I have my beliefs and I stick to them. I defend them. I don't back down and give in to what I don't believe. I don't put up with BS. If that's what you meant (which you probably didn't), I'd say you're right. And hey, I'm a Pontiac fanatic if you haven't noticed. I'm not going to let someone dis it for BS reasons like you do. That's obvious. However, where do you get that I think Pontiac is amazing and the jewel of GM? Huh? I may be a fanatic, but I'm not blind. Pontiac has a lot of problems. I know that. I still love it, regardless. So, I hope that cleared some things up between you and me.